2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,818 - $22,599.

10/6.8

Based on 187 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Cold-weather flaw

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "Overall very reliable"

Cons: "footwell heater is terrible"

"This is my second Subaru - the first was a 1991 Legacy sedan that was extremely reliable for the 17 years I owned and drove it. My "concern" with the 2011 Outback is the extremely poorly-designed and operating heater/vent directed to the footwell on the driver and passenger sides. The outlet is located up at knee level and BARELY has any perceptible force of heated air when turned on full blast. The dealer's answer? . . . "Wear warmer winter boots". It may sound petty, but living in an area with a common -30 degree winter temperatures, I have come to expect a heater that is capable of providing warmth, and this vehicle's footwell heating vent certainly does not. It's enough of a gripe that I won't purchase another Subaru until they address this "problem"."

3rd outback wagon

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "simple reliable quality with excellent resale"

Cons: "no ash tray from the factory - yup, my only gripe"

"Outstanding if you want good, well designed, simple, reliable and comfortable transport. If fancy/flash and gadgetry are secondary to you, then there is absolutely nothing better. This is 3rd one. May well go for a 4th. I dont say this lightly after being a field engineer for another auto mfr for 20+ years."

Happy camper!

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Great, durable car."

Cons: "Pricy but worth it."

"I have owned my Outback for three years, and have little to complain about, and lots to rave about. It gets a lot of rugged use, camping, kayaking, hiking, etc., and can pack lots of gear. It is very comfortable to drive, peppy when you need it, and gets into parking spaces far easier than I ever expected. It is also a smaller profile than I would expect for its cargo space. I get the recommended mpg both highway and city, and maintenance costs so far have been nil. It is quiet and comfortable, even on long trips. The adjustable seat positions and steering wheel are a real plus. It has more gadgets than Carter has pills and this is cause for much hilarity - I am still carrying the operating manual in the glove box and have needed to refer to it more than with any other car I have owned. The only complaints I have are that the switches for the heated seats are easy to turn on accidentally, resulting in toasted buns when least desired, and when shifting into Park, I frequently hit the switch for the emergency lights."

Good mileage, trouble free,

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value and mileage. good all around quality"

Cons: "Generic styling. Poor rear visability."

"Good quality. The pre 2010 were nicer driving. I would like the tail gate window to open. Had to buy sun roof to get back up camera, which is necessary on this vehicle."

great car, bought new

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

"We love this car"

I am glad I bought this vehicle

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "great in snow, good heated seats, wonderful sound"

Cons: "big and bulky to park, not the best gas mileage"

"I traded up from a 1996 Subaru to this 2012. I find it hard getting used to how big this vehicle is.Extremely hard to park. Perhaps it only takes some time getting used to it.It starts every time, the sound system is fabulous, defrosters are great and the ride is not bad. Most of the roads up here are dirt so I do like the 8 inch clearance. It's ability to go thru snow is admirable and I am quite pleased with that feature.It holds the road wonderfully. All in all I am fairly pleased with my purchase. But in all honesty, if Subaru downsized the Outback a foot or so I would be in line for it. The Forester holds no allure for me. I like the Outback."

Doesn't get anywhere near the mileage proclaimed.

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"My first Subaru. Not sure if it will be my last. Some things are great ( interior room, nice cabin). Things that are troublesome include a noisy heating/ cooling system, somewhat of a rough ride, and there is a 10/mpg disparity in gas mileage from summer to winter. Truly, 10/mpg less in the in the winter! This was explained to me at the dealership as "the gasoline additives used in the winter." That answer has always irked me as nothing of the kind has ever occurred in my Toyotas or Hondas. That said, I have had not had any problem with the mechanical performance of the car. Love my heated seats and remote start! Wy the gas cap doesn't have a resting place in the little door like my Toyotas had is beyond me. That would be a very inexpensive improvement that would protect the exterior paint around the gas fill area. I never use the "nifty" shift paddles. More of a gimmick for younger consumers."

Best vehicle I have owned!

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"Perfect in every way. Only thing I would add if I could (but not necessary; just nice with kids) would be auto locking doors at 15 mph or so. Nice feature on other cars I've owned but, again, not necessary."

Outstanding design, engineering and craftsmanship

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "Overall value, adaptability, design, utility,"

"This is the vehicle we take on long trips and use for heavy loads and that my wife uses to transport clients (easy getting in/out). It's been very "driveable" as well as reliable -- as well as elegant in design, prompting routine inquiries at the gas pump. Gas mileage is not as good as my Prius (duh!), but it gets 25-28 mpg on longer trips. Very responsive to driving cues. Relatively quiet and nicely appointed. Very satisfied. Unfortunately, this car was rear-ended last week and may be totaled. We will hate giving it up but will definitely replace it with a newer model of Subaru Outback."

very nice. so far-so good. my first subaru

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "good all around car, pretty fun to drive"

Cons: "rides a little firm. engine a little loud"

"bought a new 2013 with 4-cyl and the 6-speed stick. i like the car a lot. it rides harder ( more harsh) than my friend's 2012 Outback. it could use a little more power, but it does pretty good. gas milage has been 25 mpg on average. it's fun to drive. feels light and nimble. good road car. just drove from ohio to florida with a full load of people and luggage with no complaints from anyone. it's been great this year with all the snow we've had."

See if you qualify for