2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,849 - $22,678.

10/6.8

Based on 200 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Go anywhere rain, snow or ice

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and gas mileage"

Cons: "Non"

"Very comfortable on the freeway, gets 28-30 on the road, eats up snow! Better driver ergo than my new BMW X3."

Perfect car for Colorado

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive"

Cons: "no backup camera"

"Not one problem with this Outback. I highly recommend it"

A good car!

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

"I have had my Subaru for about 8 months. Overall I am very happy. The only real problem I found is the doors, especially the back door. It looks like it's closed, but isn't. This can cause the alarm to go off. When I took it to the dealership because of this, I was given a lesson in shutting it!!! Apparently two hands is best. What happens if you have groceries, or a dog, or both?? I have got better at closing the door, although now and again it happens."

Best car I ever had!

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Best value, reliability, comfort, spaciousness"

Cons: "Gear shift could be better"

"I bought a 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium 6 speed a year ago, now I have little over 13000 miles on it. I can say this is the best car I have owned and for the money we paid, you cannot get anything with all the equipment it has for such a price. Subaru’s AWD system was a sell point, since I do not want any FWD cars anymore: I am sick of replacing boots and front axles. This Outback is extremely spacious, comfortable, and reliable. It handles very well on any terrain, snow or rain, sand or pavement. The finish and quality of the car is very good, I may not have ash wood like a luxury car, nor do I have Napa leather, but I did not pay three times what I paid to get them. Our next Outback – for my wife – will be a 2016 3.6R with all the goodies (Insight, power rear door, navigation, and sunroof). The mileage is ok, having into consideration I drive aggressively and fast, my revs climb to 5k – 6k quite often. I got on average 21.38 mpg for 13k miles. So far, no problems whatsoever with the car. Just oil changes, alignment and tire rotation. My dealer in Tysons Corner, VA is the best. Best price for the car and they have maintenance specials constantly, which save you money. I get a free car wash anytime I want. I can recommend this car to anybody who wants a nice ride. Not a sports car. This one, I shall have it forever, since they do not put a stick shift anymore in an Outback, it is a classic now…"

Reliability problems with the CVT

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow, good mpg, inexpensive"

Cons: "Unreliable CVT transmission, $$ maintainance"

"I loved this car. It's great in the snow, comfortable to drive, and a good value. That is, until the valve body in the CVT failed at 66k miles. The dealer and SOA have told me they have no interest in helping me out with the repair since I hadn't brought the car in to have the CVT fluid inspected at 30k or 60k. The manual only states it should be inspected at those intervals, and only recommends replacement under severe driving conditions. Fluid replacement costs ~$270 cause it's not really a DIY thing! I expect that kind of crazy maintainance requirement from a high performance sports car or a vehicle used for heavy duty work but not an every day driver/commuter car. I had been told the fluid was only supposed to require early replacement under severe driving conditions, but I don't drive in the city, don't live in the mountains, and have never towed or hauled anything with this car. Silly me for thinking I could maintain the car myself and replace the fluid around 70-80k like I have with all my previous Auto transmission vehicles. They should either update the owner manual to specify CVT fluid replacement at 30k even under normal driving conditions or they should admit that this failure is unusual and help me out with the repair since I'm only 6k miles out of warranty. Otherwise, they shouldn't be surprised when I say that I don't consider the CVT to be reliable and can't recommend this car to others. It's sad cause I have really loved the Subarus that I have owned in the past."

Laughs through the snow!

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "great winter car"

Cons: "air-conditioning could be better"

"While I see all kinds of cars and trucks slippin' and slidin', I'm plowing past them. It's amazing how winter-friendly this car is. Whenever anyone asks, it's what I tell them "laughs through the snow"."

Thought to be great but not so after owning

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Nice size, car like drive"

Cons: "steering is soft, lacks power, not too relaible"

"Too much hype about Subaru reliability and safety. Can't comment on safety since never been in an accident. As for reliability, I find this U.S. assembled vehicle lacks the fit and finish of those made in Japan. My vehicle was driving very erratically and actually stalled on me several times. All the lights on dash were flashing. The first dealer had no clue what was wrong, kept reprogramming my computer. Finally got a referral to a better dealer, it was the cam sensor that failed. Took 2 trips to this place to get a new one put in. Subaru's name seems bigger than the quality of cars they make. Will not buy another one. Or at least not one assembled here."

Awesome

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Excellant car in winter, snow especialy"

Cons: "Sand on roads in winter seems to be issue"

"Always owned Fords but bought a Outback and love love love it. Especially in the winter..."

OB CVT uphill on Snow and Ice = better than any MT

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "CVT mileage and uphill on snow performance"

Cons: "Cold air leaks into Driver foot well on -10 days"

"After putting 11K on a lightly used 2013 OB including one severe winter storm and many trips to the ski resort on a 2.5i Premium with CVT, I am glad I can downshift on the steering wheel mounted paddles...you don't need to be in manual to downshift or up shift either so you can use a hybrid approach to gear changes...the system takes 3-4 seconds to revert back to automatic after you have shifted with the paddles...most users don't know this...but you can down shift or up shift at any time in D...if you don't get why down shifting in an AWD is such a big deal you should try it with snow tires on icy roads...you can decelerate into and then immediately accelerate out of corners better on slippery surfaces than with the same tires on a manual transmission; because it finds the gear and engages the ground faster. Manual gear selection on a CVT isn't Fake, Its selecting pre calculated gear ratios that don't change when you return to them, 2nd is always second gear as far as the ratio and power application is concerned. Going uphill with a CVT in Auto on steep slippery terrain is a HUUUGE advantage over owning a MT, because you have hundreds of ratio's between 2nd and 3rd gears, when you push the peddle down on steeper grades the CVT maintains the power band automatically while ensuring the appropriate ratio...I pass bigger trucks and SUV's loaded with ski gear and people that have V8's who have to bounce back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gear on snowy steep roads all the time in the winter, and I do it in a lower HP 4 cylinder CVT wagon loaded with people and gear. I have also driven on Snowcat groomed roads between Park City and Brighton Estates on the guardsman's pass road (for snowmobile and 4WD access) on Stock Continental tires at normal inflation, and it never got stuck once, the whole time it displayed smooth power transfer to the snow with stopping and braking for switchbacks on the 2.5 mile snow pack covered road. MT users like to bash the CVT, but with a commuter vehicle on snow its very similar to the slip clutch on a snowmobile if you ever look at one...the power transfer also surges oddly similar but can be quite enjoyable in the power band when you know what to look for and when to punch the gas...E.G. 2nd-3rd gear roll on acceleration, it becomes punchy and feels slingshotty out of corners!!!"

Solid & Fun. The BEST Snow Car ever.

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"If you live in the snow belt, the Outback is the best car you will ever have. Solid, reliable, drives like a dream. Interior and Comfort are not luxury, but not bad. I've gotten mileage greater than advertised on the sticker. My only dislike is summer driving, when I'd like to have something a little smaller / sportier."