2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,857 - $22,612.

10/6.8

Based on 185 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Love my Subaru. Second Outback.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Cons: "Speakers are not great."

"Handles well in bad weather. New England can throw us some humdinger weather. Economical fuel. Average highway 33 miles per gallon."

Comfortable, Safe, and Reliable

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Same as the title"

"I bought my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6r Limited in January 2014. I found it to be extremely reliable, comfortable to drive, quiet, and most importantly very safe. On 20 June 2014 I was driving on Colorado Highway 96 when a pickup truck ran a stop sign. I t-boned the pickup at about 55mph. My business partner and I walked away with only bumps, bruises and some aches and pains. No broken bones, no stitches, no scars... I survived!"

A Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Excellent all the way around !"

"We first bought one for my wife, we liked it so much we bought a 2nd one for myself. Great car for the money, great quality, great milage."

Great Vehicle, Just too small for us

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, reliability, style. AWD!"

Cons: "lack of rear reading lights."

"This is our second Outback Ltd. We sold the 2012 because we put a lot of highway miles on cars. I shouldn't admit 85 mph all the way to New Mexico in Interstates, but we did, and with a 25.7 mpg average over 3,000 miles. The puddle lights were very convenient for the rattle snake areas where we stopped, like my father-in-laws yard. It is a very quiet and comfortable ride with both front and rear leg room comparable to larger vehicles. It is not small by any means. To us the only lacking interior features are no reading lights in the back, the front interior lights blind the driver if turned on at night, and there are no magazine holders behind the front seats. Driving it on winding country roads is reminiscent of my sports car days-this car drives great! The handling and braking are superb."

2011 Subaru Outback

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, capable, economical, quiet."

Cons: "Not a sports car, but no sport utility vehicle is."

Door open only to let the heat out before I got in to drive. Yes the AC works fine, but it takes a while to cool the vehicle after sitting in the day.

"I have one car to drive daily and live with for years. I chose the 2011 Subaru Outback Premium. After driving it for 4 years, here is my evaluation. Each category based on 10 point scale> Comfortable cruiser:10 -I could drive all day except windy days, when the vehicle gets pushed around by the wind. Fuel Economy:8 For All Wheel Drive -great, I average 29 MPG Exterior styling: 8 I don't like arches over the wheels, headlight assembly looks too busy, other wise is very good! Interior :7 -Uncomfortable seat fabic. light color not suitable for an SUV. Surfaces have a cheap feel. Reliability:10 It has never shown a hint of any kind of failure. Engine:8 -A little noisy at high RPMs, but it rarely gets there. At 65 MPH the engine turns only 2000 RPMs. CVT auto transmission:10 -The trans always select the right ratio and you never feel it shifting. All auto transmissions should be this good!! -Suspension:9 -durable but a little tippy during high speed turns. Instruments and controls:8 -Needs engine temp gauge, Radio a little complicated, traction control and parking brake release buttons not visible from driving position. -Cargo capacity:9 -I have hauled all kinds of bulky items."

Lots of cargo space but has serious under steer.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Quiet and comfortable ride"

Cons: "dificult Steering. No emerg. brake."

"Quiet car with many features although some are very confusing and awkward to use. Climate controls are awkward to use. Difficult to steer requiring constant corrections. Emergency brake can only be used as a parking brake while the car is completely stopped - not an emergency brake in case of a complete electrical failure while driving causing total loss of steering. I love the down hill control which allows you to down shift and lock into any gear which allows you to avoid riding your brakes on long, steep, and winding mountain roads."

Subaru Outback Navigation System Problems

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Drives Well off Road, Good Cargo Capacity"

Cons: "Technology is obsolete"

"Subaru Outback Navigation System Problems If you are purchasing a new Subaru Outback, DO NOT get the Navigation System. We purchased a brand new Subaru Outback in 2013. The vehicle itself is fine, it fits our needs and we haven’t had any issues. The navigation system, was a waste of at least an added $3,000. First, when we got our brand new 2013 Subaru Outback, the maps were already obsolete. The maps are from 2011. We are constantly experiencing issues where the highway exits have been reconfigured (Loop 410 & Loop 1604 in San Antonio), or new roads just don’t exist (Texas Toll Road 130 between San Antonio and Austin). Now, the military is moving us overseas, to Europe. We’ll be taking our new car, but now the navigation system will not just be inaccurate, it won’t work at all. Our local Subaru Dealer (we highly recommend - always very helpful & professional), tried to find the SD maps for Europe, but was unsuccessful. They researched for at least an hour, and finally spoke to two representatives of corporate Subaru in the US and discovered that the maps of Europe are unavailable in the states. They recommended that we try and find a Subaru dealership when we arrive in Europe - rendering our $3,000+ navigation system worthless, as we serve America’s military. I’m contacting corporate Subaru, and will post an update."

Excellent vehicle, one shortcoming.

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Get your money's worth."

Cons: "Interior cloth seats stain easily."

"The cloth seats (light tan) stain easily. Next time will upgrade to better interior. Great in snow, good gas mileage (when you consider the All Wheel Drive) and the car holds it's value. Hard to find a used Subaru from a private party since most trade for another."

Cold-weather flaw

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "Overall very reliable"

Cons: "footwell heater is terrible"

"This is my second Subaru - the first was a 1991 Legacy sedan that was extremely reliable for the 17 years I owned and drove it. My "concern" with the 2011 Outback is the extremely poorly-designed and operating heater/vent directed to the footwell on the driver and passenger sides. The outlet is located up at knee level and BARELY has any perceptible force of heated air when turned on full blast. The dealer's answer? . . . "Wear warmer winter boots". It may sound petty, but living in an area with a common -30 degree winter temperatures, I have come to expect a heater that is capable of providing warmth, and this vehicle's footwell heating vent certainly does not. It's enough of a gripe that I won't purchase another Subaru until they address this "problem"."

3rd outback wagon

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "simple reliable quality with excellent resale"

Cons: "no ash tray from the factory - yup, my only gripe"

"Outstanding if you want good, well designed, simple, reliable and comfortable transport. If fancy/flash and gadgetry are secondary to you, then there is absolutely nothing better. This is 3rd one. May well go for a 4th. I dont say this lightly after being a field engineer for another auto mfr for 20+ years."