2010 Subaru Outback

Based on 192 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

OB CVT uphill on Snow and Ice = better than any MT

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "CVT mileage and uphill on snow performance"

Cons: "Cold air leaks into Driver foot well on -10 days"

"After putting 11K on a lightly used 2013 OB including one severe winter storm and many trips to the ski resort on a 2.5i Premium with CVT, I am glad I can downshift on the steering wheel mounted paddles...you don't need to be in manual to downshift or up shift either so you can use a hybrid approach to gear changes...the system takes 3-4 seconds to revert back to automatic after you have shifted with the paddles...most users don't know this...but you can down shift or up shift at any time in D...if you don't get why down shifting in an AWD is such a big deal you should try it with snow tires on icy roads...you can decelerate into and then immediately accelerate out of corners better on slippery surfaces than with the same tires on a manual transmission; because it finds the gear and engages the ground faster. Manual gear selection on a CVT isn't Fake, Its selecting pre calculated gear ratios that don't change when you return to them, 2nd is always second gear as far as the ratio and power application is concerned. Going uphill with a CVT in Auto on steep slippery terrain is a HUUUGE advantage over owning a MT, because you have hundreds of ratio's between 2nd and 3rd gears, when you push the peddle down on steeper grades the CVT maintains the power band automatically while ensuring the appropriate ratio...I pass bigger trucks and SUV's loaded with ski gear and people that have V8's who have to bounce back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gear on snowy steep roads all the time in the winter, and I do it in a lower HP 4 cylinder CVT wagon loaded with people and gear. I have also driven on Snowcat groomed roads between Park City and Brighton Estates on the guardsman's pass road (for snowmobile and 4WD access) on Stock Continental tires at normal inflation, and it never got stuck once, the whole time it displayed smooth power transfer to the snow with stopping and braking for switchbacks on the 2.5 mile snow pack covered road. MT users like to bash the CVT, but with a commuter vehicle on snow its very similar to the slip clutch on a snowmobile if you ever look at one...the power transfer also surges oddly similar but can be quite enjoyable in the power band when you know what to look for and when to punch the gas...E.G. 2nd-3rd gear roll on acceleration, it becomes punchy and feels slingshotty out of corners!!!"

Solid & Fun. The BEST Snow Car ever.

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"If you live in the snow belt, the Outback is the best car you will ever have. Solid, reliable, drives like a dream. Interior and Comfort are not luxury, but not bad. I've gotten mileage greater than advertised on the sticker. My only dislike is summer driving, when I'd like to have something a little smaller / sportier."

beautiful, capable and versatile car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "versatile, fun to drive, extremly comfortable"

Cons: "always wishing mileage were better; no blind spot"

"Bought 2014 Outback Limited Dec. 2013 and have 6200 mi. The leather seats are awesome....my first car with leather. Extremely supportive and comfy. Excellent driving position. I removed rear seat head restraints to improve visibility since Im the only one usually in the car. Mileage is pretty much as stated...without air conditioning on I average about 24 in town and 30 highway. The red color is gorgeous. Its a classy looking vehicle IMHO. The only issue Ive had is when the air conditioning is running the gauge that tells you your MPG goes down, down, down to about 12mpg but then when I fill up the actual mileage is down only about 2 mpg.....will have this gauge checked in Sept when I go in for regular service."

Great for outdoor and snow

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Excellent handling"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"Had this car for 2 years, test drove 3 others and the Outback was the best car for what I needed, I carry a lot of gear and do mountain biking as well as skiing. The car handles really well, feels very solid and safe, my wife drives during the week and she loves it. The only complaint is that the gas mileage is not so good, I get about 25 combined. I wish Subaru would make a Hybrid version of the Outback."

Performs Extremely Well - Reliable, Sure-footed

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value; ultimate traction & safety"

Cons: "Design is best for small to medium driver sizes"

"Terrific car for many reasons. Comfortable, convenient features and the most dependable car we've ever owned. Most importantly - it protected us when we were struck broadside by an enormous truck. During the collision, its responsiveness allowed me to avoid other cars and a rock wall while reducing speed. We finally hit a tree, but the crumple-zone absorbed most of the impact. We survived unharmed."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals