2009 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 374 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Mixed Bag

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, safety, performance"

Cons: "Expensive to fix, expect big ticket failures"

"The Subaru ownership experience is a mixed bag. I've owned 3 of them (2001 and now a 2009 Outback plus a 2003 Legacy). The good: These are among the safest vehicles on the road. Day to day Driving dynamics/handling is excellent The interior is very functional and comfortable AWD in weather is fantastic The bad: If you've owned a bullet proof Honda/Toyota (I've had 4 of them) and you go in believing Subaru has their reliability you're going to be dissapointed. My 2001 ate wheel bearings (6 of them over 120K miles) and blew the head gasket at 110K miles. My 2003 had the head gasket blow at 65K miles and my 2009 (just off warranty at 42K miles) blew a strut. These cars has never left me stranded but they have had issues that required large cash outlays to fix. Because Subaru is a much smaller company that Honda/Toyota the pricing for parts is also greater. I have enjoyed all of the Subarus I've owned and believe they are well designed vehicles. Having said that if you buy one then be ready to spend on a couple thousand dollars on unscheduled maintence/problems. My Toyotas (95 Camry and 06 Sienna have gone 150K miles with virtually no unscheduled repairs)."

Thoughts after 4 months

By on Thursday, April 19, 2007

"The mechanicals of this car are excellent - it starts without complaint even at -50F (with proper winterization!), it is peppy, sure-footed, and responsive. In the fun-to-drive department, this is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck in an economical family wagon. Compared to the standard 2.5i wagon, the Basic offers no compromises and is therefore an excellent alternative to save some dollars upon purchase. The only problem I have with this vehicle is its cold-weather build quality and interior rattles. The rattles seem to be more problematic of my particular car than with these vehicles in general, but the cold-weather problems (if the car is cold, windows will not open colder than about -20F, knobs are extremely difficult to move, doors are nearly impossible to latch) are across the board. That aspect is disappointing considering I owned a 1996 Outback for 220,000 miles and none of these problems were problems with that car. Also, the rear leg room in this car is diminished compared to my 1996 so the entire cabin area feels more cramped. The floor area of the cargo space is larger and more versatile, however, so that is a plus. For example, the rear seat backs can be folded 60/40 now and the seat cushion does not need to be raised. This allows added cargo room while still utilizing one side of the rear seats for sitting. I know that is no great feat amongst its peers, but is a very nice improvement from ten years back. The good: fun to drive, versatile, reliable, economical, and attractive. Extremely comfortable, form-fitting seats. The bad: terrible OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-92), rattles, cheap shift and parking boots (cracks in cold temperatures approximately less than -20F)."

dissapointment

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Handling and and performance on icy roads and in the snow are excellent. Mileage is consistant 28-30 MPG. The check engine light has gone on five times in 30,000 miles. The light was reset by the Subaru dealer who cannot determined the cause of the activation. The Subaru Corp.has advised me in writing that this is how the car was "designed to perform". The car, which has a manual transmission, sometime stalls in first gear when driven slowly on steep inclines. The rubber gasket is loose around the back passenger window causing water to leak into the car."

Awesome and awful...

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "price, interior, sleek look, rugged interior"

Cons: "annoying HV/AC, annoying radio, expensive repairs"

"I've really been a huge fan for years. My wife and I love the way the car drives,and most aspects of the design. However, in the past 2 years I've had to put more than 5k into maintenance and repairs, and it needs another 3k according to the dealer. I've never taken better care of a car before, this was my first new car. However I've had problems with the head gasket, oil leaks, and other issues that I don't fully understand. I think that many of the issues could have been avoided by having a more open sensor system. The only people who can see the full history of the electronic monitoring are dealers, and they can only see it with a special computer (not the normal one they use for free). So, when we had problems with our Subaru dealer's service, we couldn't easily take it elsewhere because of both the system and their proprietary parts. I love most of the design, but there are a few things that have really been annoying. I hate the HV/AC controls. There are two thermostats for each side of the car, and additional controls on each vent, which is overly complicating it to begin with. On top of that, the thermostats are very sensitive to how long the car has been running and the external temperature. Also, the AC runs almost continuously no matter how cold it is outside. It's just been an extra set of things to fiddle with that are overly complicated and cause dispute between my wife and I about how to keep some fresh air going though the car. I just think that the old fashioned hot/cold high/low interface is pretty close to perfect, and there's no need for fancy "smart" improvements. I also wish that the radio could scan. It stops at every single interval after a pause. So you have the disadvantage of needing to change the station one decimal at a time, without the benefit of it finding a station automatically. I was really expecting this car to easily last 10 years, and to last 15 years with care. However, it got really expensive in year 7-8"

Loving my "new" 2005 ...

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"I finally upgraded my old '98 Legacy Outback for a 2005 L.L Bean. I love this car so far! IMO, it offers the perfect blend of luxury and ruggedness. The L.L. Bean has all the bells and whistles -- heated mirrors, seats, and windshield wipers, automatic climate control, day-running lights, sportshift transmission, auto-dimming mirror with compass, embossed leather seats and a fantastic moon roof! Yet, as an Outback (and a taller version than prior years) its as rugged on the roads less travelled as one would expect from an Outback. The H6 engine definitely provides a nice power boost, but unfortunately the Outback's reclassification to a truck means Subie can get away with lower MPGs -- mine averages about 21. As it prefers premium fuel, the consumption is a bit of a disappointment. The only other performance complaint is that the transmission (in normal mode) upshifts too quickly, which can cause a bit of jerkiness in the car. That's solved by putting the transmission in sport mode, which forces shifting at higher RPMs -- and creates a much smoother upshift. Of course, higher RPMs means slightly less fuel consumption, so ... There aren't too many L.L. Beans out there -- I guess most people didn't want to pay the extra $10K over the base 2.5i -- but on the used market, I picked up all this luxury and ruggedness for a great price -- about $10K that a comparable new L.L. Bean, or the same price as a new 2.5i. For a two-year old car with 30K miles, the luxuries are worth it to me! Its a beautiful-looking and driving car -- take it camping sometime!!"

The Outdoorsman's Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"Bought my 2005 Outback XT back in August of 2006 and have not regretted it one bit since. Handles like only a Subaru can with the power of a sports car. (In a quarter mile race I was able to outdo a Foxbody Mustang with 405 gears in it among other aftermarket performance alterations. Mine was stock.) I took it across the country in April of 2007 to drive from Washington, DC to my howetown of Richland, WA and was the smoothest trip I've ever been on. Get's upwards of 30 MPG when driven almost entirely on the highway. Went through Colorado on the way and it didn't have any trouble getting up through the mountains or around on the snow. All in all, a great vehicle for the traveling individual. It's AWD and 2.5l Turbo engine make it ideal for traveling along those unkept roads to that perfect trailhead. I'm an avid outdoorsman doing everything from whitewater kayaking to backcountry skiing and no vehicle meets my needs like this Subaru."

"Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Everything else: handling in snow and in general"

Cons: "Reliability, head gaskets"

"I think I finally understand this slogan. I love my 2008 Subaru Outback. I have wanted one for several years. I finally bought mine about 4 months ago with 82,000 miles on it. I knew that Subaru's were infamous for head gasket issues, so I purchased an extended (3rd party) warranty. Within 4 months, I started having an oil leak. Turned out to be a leaking head gasket. Luckily, Route 66 (my warranty) covered the whole thing. They were awesome. Cost around $2,000 all said and done. I was really dissapointed. 85,000 miles...blown head gasket...that's pathetic. It embarrasses me that Subaru claims reliability and claims to have fixed the problem. Well, it is officially not fixed. BUT, I love this car. I like the handling even more than I thought I would. I think for a wagon, it's pretty classy and has enough room for me and my pup. So, Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru, because even though these cost you out the butt to fix, you still love them. Poor reliability, but I really like everything else. Not sure I would recommend it to friends or family unless they were ok with spend the money it costs to keep these going. Hey Subaru!! Fix this problem. This is embarrassing. A representative at the Subaru dealer told me, "Subaru recommends that you replace the head gaskets at 100,000 miles." Are you telling me that head gasket replacement ($2000 repair) now is routine maintanence? Emabarrassing. But, I still love it. Hope this is the last big repair I have."

8 years of no repairs and only routine maintenance

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, comfortable and repair free"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"This is the best vehicle I have ever purchased. Its driving characteristics and good stability and excellent performance in all weather conditions are awesome. I knew from many Alaska and Idaho friends that this car was appreciated for its handling, and that is what I bought it for. Not having any repairs for the last 8 years was an unexpected bonus for me - and appreciated."

I love this car and will buy another when it dies.

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "drives great, rocks in the snow, lots of power"

Cons: "snow in wheels sometimes unbalances the tires"

"Never had any problems, basic maintenece, slight complaint open wheels let snow sometimes unbalance the tires, easy to fix but a pain sometimes in northern michigan winters. THIS CAR ROCKS"

First time Subaru owner

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Pro's: Turbo is really quick, comfortable and well appointed interior, great heated seats, good looking exterior Cons: Stock Bridgestone tires are just awful, headlamps keep burning out, paint thin, windshield chips easily"

OUTSTANDING!!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I've had my '05 OB XT since November 2004, and I haven't had any problems beyond what Subaru already took care of -- that is, replaced DRL's with real DRL bulbs, and replaced an cooling fan relay that caused a short in the ECU and made the cooling fans run constantly. I traded an Audi A4 Avant for this car as I was moving to CO and wanted more "offroad" capability -- and I got it, with better acceleration and equal gas mileage (with some aftermarket improvements in tires and some parts). While it doesn't handle as well as my Audi did on the road, it's not meant to -- but it still handles pretty darn good. With snow tires, it's bombproof in the snow or offroad in all but the worst high-clearance conditions. Death Valley, Escalante, and CO backcountries have been no problem (with good judgment applied). I now have almost 56K miles on it and it's getting better gas mileage than ever! True to Subie heritage, I think this car will last well over 100K and perform just as well."

Good all around car

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Great handleing on snow and wet roads"

Cons: "Expensive reapirs, head gaskets and axles"

"I've owned my Outback for 7 years, bought it with 70K and now it has 186K. Good all around car and I do love the AWD, but if you're not driving on snow or roads that require AWD save your money and get a car that requires less maintenance. Subaru's are good cars but after 100K be prepared to repair on a regular basis, and it's not cheap! 2.5Outbacks are known for bad head gaskets and that's a $2400 repair at the dealer."

Bring on the inclement weather!

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "handling, price, trunk space, gas mileage, smooth ride"

Cons: "poor legroom, boring console"

"I've lived in MA, GA, and TN since I've owned this car and I love how well it handles in wind, hail, rain, snow, and ice. I'm not in love with the design or space (two carseats essentially eliminate the entire back seat), but I'd buy it again and suffer being cooped up just for how safe and in control I feel driving it; really smooth ride and handling even at high speeds. I agree with the other reviewer's seat comments - not enough leg room or padding (I've done frequent 1200-1500 mile treks in it, so I can say you really feel the lack of these after spending a day or two behind the wheel). On the plus side, you would be surprised just how much you can pack in the trunk. I average 24 mi/gal on the highway (at 80 mi/hr with the car packed to the gills - probably would be even better without the load), and between 22-27 mi/gal around town depending on AC use."

Sube Six is a Great Car

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"I've got the Legacy Outback X/T limited like the one in the picture. (Who knows it might even be the same one because its red.) Has the 5 Spd turbo with the big split sunroof. Overall I am really happy with this car. I bought it new and have had it for a little over 5 years. I am about to put 100,000 on it soon. No real maintenance issues except for the clutch. The throwout bearing went out at a little over 90,000, so I had to replace the whole clutch assembly. The worst part was that there was about another 50,000 miles left on the clutch plate and pressure plate. (A failure of a $50.00 part led to a $1,000 repair.) The only other maintenace has been oil changes, tuneups, brakes, 2 CV boots and tires. (If you buy soft Michelins, you will need to replace all four tires every 30,000 miles or so.) Likes: Performance: the 2.5 L Turbo moves out. Ground clearance, suspension and handling. Comfort: Dual Climate Control/Air Conditioning, and heated seats Brand: This model looks a lot better than the new (redesigned) Outbacks. (You can probably thank Toyota for that.) Dislikes: Headlights burn out every 2-4 months, and I am really careful not to touch the bulb when I replace them.) The interior carpeting fades/wears quicker than I would like. I'm going for 300,000 miles on this one, so I hope I can check back in every so often to update you."

Still Great

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"This is my fourth Subaru (1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007) and they still make a great car. I have had this vehicle for 14 months and have had no problems at all. The mileage is good, 22 to 29 mpg, the all- wheel drive great for snow and ice, the ride is pleasant and responsive and the zip is there even though this is "only" four cylinders."

Great Performance In Bad Weather!

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I have had my outback xt since oct. 2004 and it has been a great vehicle. Of course there are some issues I have had to deal with like the sound system is not the best and you have to get the dealership to install the headlights. You can pick out things that are wrong with most every car and it is all very little things with this car. I had to replace the tires at 22,000 miles but I spent the money and got some really good all weather tires. Now the car is handling amazing. This car, with it's AWD, has saved my life at least 2 times. I live in Colorado and it handles unbelievable in the snow now that I have good tires. Having the XT and 250 hp makes going up mountain passes so easy and it is so nice not feeling like your car is straining itself to get up the mountain. I also get amazing service at my dealership in Fort Collins so if you are not getting good service, try and find another dealership you can take you car to. Great service makes all the difference. Overall, this is a great car for people who are active and travel through harsh conditions. It is the ultimate outdoor adventure vehicle. Oh, and did I mention the sunroof goes into the backseat."

Yes, No, Maybe

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"For all the good traits, there are a few that make me think twice about buying a second one. First off, the dealer's service department is awfull. Won't go back there. 2005 LL Bean. 41K miles. Looked stunning brand new, but interior finishes scratched, and showed wear quickly. Leather finish on drivers seat lost color from wear. Soft low profile tires and brakes had to be replaced before end of lease. That investment will probably dictate that I buy it when lease ends this month. Performance is exceptional. Gas miliage (21 mpg at best) is marginal. Should own a vehicle that gets at least 30. Exterier remains new looking when cleaned. Solid vehicle with no mechanical issues, but I have changed each headlight bulb at least 3 times. What's up with that?"

the speed of a hybrid with mileage of a V6

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "premium features, solid All Wheel Drive"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, slow performance, weird throttle"

"My 2006 Subaru Outback has 150,000 miles and the catalytic converter is failing. Cost of ownership is too high. All maintenance has been kept up to date. Mileage is terrible. For a slow four-cylider, I can't get above 27 mpg on a very low speed, highway tank. Going 70 on a roadtrip, I get 24mpg. Cargo space is amazing but the back seats don't have enough leg room for adults or space for rear-facing baby carriers. The throttle and clutch engagement make it difficult to drive, so my wife doesn't like driving it, despite her daily driver having a manual, also. Want to know how much I like it? Although it has premium features like seat heaters and mirror defrosters, I'm going to replace it with a new car while keeping my wife's 2001 Saturn SL."

I have owned seven Subaru Outbacks

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "Trouble free driving"

Cons: "Engine noise when stepping on it"

"Trouble free driving is the best way I can say it. Easy handling, good gas mileage, easy to change your own oil. Has all the essential features most any driver would want. Consumer's Report rates the Outback at the top of the list of good cars in its class. I like the true station wagon style that few other makers offer in a moderate price range. Plenty of storage space in the back. The all-wheel drive is so helpful in winter snows. If there is one downside the engine noise when accelerating aggressively is a bit louder than normal, but I rarely find myself in that situation and the noise doesn't really bother me."

Reliability,Safety....VALUE

By on Saturday, June 06, 2009

"We have a 2008 Outback Limited with 20K. My wife and I are professional photographers. We spend a lot of time in the mountains of Montana, winter and the summer. The interior, with the seats down, holds all of our equipment with room to spare. The ground clearance is excellent. We have yet to find a road we couldn't negociate. After owning two new 4 wheel drive pickups, the Outback AWD system W/VDC and the sure footed versitility and handling is far superior to either truck. The car is solid with no rattles or mechanical issues of any kind. Replaced the Potenza tires with high performance Dunlap 3-D's. In Montana we tend to drive bettween 80 and 90 mph on the highways. Mileage is as expected, 25 plus highway, 20 plus city. I'm 6'3" and very comfortable with the interior and heated seats. Moonroof is great. Sportshift a major plus on the backroads. Headlights and fog lamps light the road up extremely well. Red gauge lights are easy on the eyes. We both feel safe and secure on any road condition. Now that the Subaru has proven itself to my satifaction, I'm in the process of buying there little sports rocket...the STI. Can't wait. We'll be customers for years to come."

Will Never Owen another car

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"We bought our outback new in 2005 and LOVE it. Every single day we say it out loud. It is a smooth ride, great power in the mountains, handles well, packs all our camping gear with ease, love the stereo, the quality, everything. Only one area was the factory tires - not the greatest but with new tires, perfect. We will own Subaru from here on out. We fully intend to own this car long enough to be my six year olds first car. Can't say enough good things about it."

Love my car!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I bought a used 2005 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5i exactly a year ago now. It has exceeded every expectation I had for it. The gas milage is as good, if not better sometimes then the listed averages. On average I get 27.8 mpg for combined city/hwy driving and on hwy get 30 on average. My only complaint would be the tires that come on the vehicle. The Potenza tires, although they road smooth, had to be replaced soon after I bought the car. They only had 31000 miles on them and had no tread left. Like others said, three adults across the back seat is a tight fit, but the rest of the interior is like a luxury car (w/o the steep price). My two labs love the trunk space and the car handles great in all conditions. I couldn't have found a better car for the price."

My dog loves this car.

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"This car is superb. I bought it 3 years ago and it is worth more now than I bought it for. It is a bit slow uphill in the mountains, but I shouldn't be driving that fast anyhow. :o) the criteria for me with respect to purchasing a c ar was AWD and the ability to hold 4 adults comfortably. I routinely drive on mountain roadtrips and everyone loves the legroom. I thought about the WRX instead of the Outback, but the lack of legroom in the back wasn't so great. I generally get about 26mpg (higher in summer, less in winter) and I am very pleased with the comfort. The seats and console are way better in this model than in the older setups. Super car and a great value..."

Still in awe

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"I Love this car, Old reliable with leather, and AWD. I've destroyed the great Northeast in all weather conditions. I only need to stop for fuel, washer fluid, and the occasional oil change. 84,000 miles and nothing needs done that wasn't scheduled. I changed the front brakes myself, but they really didn't need it yet. The car is the great commuter, even knocking into the mid 30MPGs when you behave. It is still great fun on the backroads, and can hold more than I ever imagined. Lighter and larger than the old outback, and more everything else too. All it needs is a stereo upgrade to accompany me on long voyages, not just trips, but voyages."

Pretty good car, with some flaws

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"Bought our '05 2.5i Outback new at the end of '04. Loved it at first, but there are some annoyances that have developed. Fairly loud interior; we are going to buy new tires soon, and perhaps that will help. Rattles in the dash that the dealer has not been able to resolve. Sluggish acceleration at times (ours is an automatic - never again!). This can be frightening when trying to pull out quickly in traffic, as the car searches for a gear, barely moving, with traffic speeding toward you. Head lamps seem to burn out quickly. There are some big positives for this car though. The handling in wet weather is terrific, especially when braking on Oregon's wet roads - zero skidding. And the AWD always takes us up the mountains with ease, better than friends' 4WD vehicles. We have never gotten stuck in the ice or snow. Gas mileage is good - I average 25 or 27 mpg, depending on how aggressively I drive. Hopefully Subaru will come out with a hybrid version someday!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals