2008 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 369 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Mixed Bag

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, safety, performance"

Cons: "Expensive to fix, expect big ticket failures"

"The Subaru ownership experience is a mixed bag. I've owned 3 of them (2001 and now a 2009 Outback plus a 2003 Legacy). The good: These are among the safest vehicles on the road. Day to day Driving dynamics/handling is excellent The interior is very functional and comfortable AWD in weather is fantastic The bad: If you've owned a bullet proof Honda/Toyota (I've had 4 of them) and you go in believing Subaru has their reliability you're going to be dissapointed. My 2001 ate wheel bearings (6 of them over 120K miles) and blew the head gasket at 110K miles. My 2003 had the head gasket blow at 65K miles and my 2009 (just off warranty at 42K miles) blew a strut. These cars has never left me stranded but they have had issues that required large cash outlays to fix. Because Subaru is a much smaller company that Honda/Toyota the pricing for parts is also greater. I have enjoyed all of the Subarus I've owned and believe they are well designed vehicles. Having said that if you buy one then be ready to spend on a couple thousand dollars on unscheduled maintence/problems. My Toyotas (95 Camry and 06 Sienna have gone 150K miles with virtually no unscheduled repairs)."

Thoughts after 4 months

By on Thursday, April 19, 2007

"The mechanicals of this car are excellent - it starts without complaint even at -50F (with proper winterization!), it is peppy, sure-footed, and responsive. In the fun-to-drive department, this is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck in an economical family wagon. Compared to the standard 2.5i wagon, the Basic offers no compromises and is therefore an excellent alternative to save some dollars upon purchase. The only problem I have with this vehicle is its cold-weather build quality and interior rattles. The rattles seem to be more problematic of my particular car than with these vehicles in general, but the cold-weather problems (if the car is cold, windows will not open colder than about -20F, knobs are extremely difficult to move, doors are nearly impossible to latch) are across the board. That aspect is disappointing considering I owned a 1996 Outback for 220,000 miles and none of these problems were problems with that car. Also, the rear leg room in this car is diminished compared to my 1996 so the entire cabin area feels more cramped. The floor area of the cargo space is larger and more versatile, however, so that is a plus. For example, the rear seat backs can be folded 60/40 now and the seat cushion does not need to be raised. This allows added cargo room while still utilizing one side of the rear seats for sitting. I know that is no great feat amongst its peers, but is a very nice improvement from ten years back. The good: fun to drive, versatile, reliable, economical, and attractive. Extremely comfortable, form-fitting seats. The bad: terrible OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-92), rattles, cheap shift and parking boots (cracks in cold temperatures approximately less than -20F)."

Good Car

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Purchased a 2006 2.5i Outback and it has been a good car for past 2 years for our family of four. Interior is smaller than what we were used to. Accelleration with out the turbo is slower than expected - but with the 2.5i, we don't need the higher octane and higher priced gas required in the higher models. The automatic transmission however can be converted to sport mode permitting faster accelleration when needed. It can also be changed to a manual mode when necessary. It performed its best in the snow - most other cars were spun out while we were able to get where ever we wanted to go. Can't say enough good things about its performance in the snow. Mileage has been around 22 mpg in the city during winter due to oxygenated gas. In summer, mpg climbs to around 24. On the highway, I exceed 28 mpg at 70 mph. With the basic model, we got heated seats, heated mirrors, even heated areas on the windshield to keep the wipers free of ice. No to little upgrades needed on this car!"

dissapointment

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Handling and and performance on icy roads and in the snow are excellent. Mileage is consistant 28-30 MPG. The check engine light has gone on five times in 30,000 miles. The light was reset by the Subaru dealer who cannot determined the cause of the activation. The Subaru Corp.has advised me in writing that this is how the car was "designed to perform". The car, which has a manual transmission, sometime stalls in first gear when driven slowly on steep inclines. The rubber gasket is loose around the back passenger window causing water to leak into the car."

Awesome and awful...

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "price, interior, sleek look, rugged interior"

Cons: "annoying HV/AC, annoying radio, expensive repairs"

"I've really been a huge fan for years. My wife and I love the way the car drives,and most aspects of the design. However, in the past 2 years I've had to put more than 5k into maintenance and repairs, and it needs another 3k according to the dealer. I've never taken better care of a car before, this was my first new car. However I've had problems with the head gasket, oil leaks, and other issues that I don't fully understand. I think that many of the issues could have been avoided by having a more open sensor system. The only people who can see the full history of the electronic monitoring are dealers, and they can only see it with a special computer (not the normal one they use for free). So, when we had problems with our Subaru dealer's service, we couldn't easily take it elsewhere because of both the system and their proprietary parts. I love most of the design, but there are a few things that have really been annoying. I hate the HV/AC controls. There are two thermostats for each side of the car, and additional controls on each vent, which is overly complicating it to begin with. On top of that, the thermostats are very sensitive to how long the car has been running and the external temperature. Also, the AC runs almost continuously no matter how cold it is outside. It's just been an extra set of things to fiddle with that are overly complicated and cause dispute between my wife and I about how to keep some fresh air going though the car. I just think that the old fashioned hot/cold high/low interface is pretty close to perfect, and there's no need for fancy "smart" improvements. I also wish that the radio could scan. It stops at every single interval after a pause. So you have the disadvantage of needing to change the station one decimal at a time, without the benefit of it finding a station automatically. I was really expecting this car to easily last 10 years, and to last 15 years with care. However, it got really expensive in year 7-8"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals