2008 Subaru Outback

Based on 340 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Great car for people and dogs

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, handles great, goes on snow, comfy ride"

Cons: "Not a lot of interior storage up front"

"This 2005 Subaru Outback with moonroof and leather seats has made me a Subaru convert forever. It is comfortable and works every time. After about 150,000 miles I've started replacing some things (struts, brakes, tires, soon and A/C fan), but it continues to run great and perform like it did the first time out. I tested and drove nearly every wagon/mid-size SUV on the market before buying my Subaru. The final thumbs up was that the rear 60/40 seats lie flat, giving my two big Golden Retrievers plenty of room to lie down (even with other gear in the car) and travel everywhere with me. The all-season mats are worth every penny as is the Compass garage opener. With all-wheel drive it drives on snow like the snow is hardly there. I can't imagine owning any other car. Wish list: more upfront storage space for phones, wallets, etc. Also better gas mileage. I get 28 mpg with a combo of highway/city driving."

I have owned Subarus since the early '90's. Super!

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "Just a darn good reliable car and nice looking."

Cons: "None really, but since '10, a little too large."

"The are wonder in the snow. No problems ever. Just have to watch out for the other folks who try but can't."

Never Selling This Car! Love It!

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, AWD,6 cylinder, towing for sedan"

Cons: "Small trunk, MPG,"

"2006 OB Sedan LL Bean H6 purchased new in 12/2006. Have had zero, 0, nada maintenance issues. Oil changes every 7500 miles, tranny, radiator, differential flushes at 45 and 90 thousand. OEM tires were terrible, so switched to michelin and now on Pirellis. This is a heavy car so acceleration and handling are mediocre for some driving styles but perfect for a small family sedan. Smallish interior and trunk are somewhat limiting, but fortunately I don't have need for tons of space. Test drove the 2015 Legacy and a mid size sedan like that is more space than I need. The only item I've added is a trailer hitch. The strong 6 cylinder engine isn't the most fuel efficient but plenty powerful to pull a small trailer or boat. Even without a load, as you accelerate, you can feel the engine pulling you forward. The AWD is great, ride height is nice too for a sedan. I like the smaller platform and wasn't ready nor had the need for the wagon. Like any used car, prior maintenance is critical so without records you are at the mercy of the prior owner and their diligence in caring for the car. The car itself though is well engineered and manufactured."

Avoid NA 2.5 go for the turbo 4 or na 6

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "great style"

Cons: "poor lower trims"

"I decided to wright this review because I was noticing a lot of people bashing on the car or one thing or another and more often than not they are complaining about trim specific issues such as a lack of power or a dodgy outdated transmission. This is ultimately true about the na 2.5 having a low amount of power but what do you expect from a car that is not geared toward speed but rather simplicity, thats why they used an engine thats design has been around for almost two decades. This also goes for the transmission as well, most of the outbacks that were sold came with the na 2.5 and 4 speed auto transmission. If you want a really solid car that will never let you down look no further than the na 3.0 liter. Subaru had just came out with a brand new engine called the "ez30r" which was an improvement over their previous 6 cylinder from 212 horse power to 250. This new engine comes in two trim levels the LL Bean edition and the VDC model. Now if you want something with a touch more power than that take a look at the XT trims because they come with a 2.5 liter turbocharged and aftercooled engine. It makes the same 250 horsepower as the six but makes thirty more foot pounds of torque but with this extra power comes more responsibility, when looking for an xt you must insure that the previous owner knew how to take care of a turbocharged car by preforming normal service such as using high quality synthetic oil and premium gasoline. Now about the 4 speed clunky old transmission, you need to worry because both the 3.0 and the 2.5 turbo come with a 5 speed auto which is miles better than the 4 speed, and if you are interested in getting a manual you'll have to look at the xt because the 3.0 did not come with the option of a 5 speed manual transmission. Over all im happy with my 05 outback ll bean edition, even at 190k miles she still happily revs out to the 7k redline when ever I wanna get on it, hope I helped some people in the right direction."

NOT happy!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Does great in the ice and snow"

Cons: "Poor reliability, Autotrans models are sluggish"

"Bought this car used with 32000 on the odometer. It is now at the local Subaru dealer (again), having the engine rebuilt. At 45 years old I have owned a LOT of cars in the 30 years I've been driving. I was an ASE certified mechanic for some time and definitely know my way around under the hood. This car has very easily been hands down the most expensive to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. Since I bought it I've had two major mechanical failures, first the front CV boots (both sides) failed, spewing CV grease all over the engine compartment and the catalytic converter which to this day emits a horrendous smell from the burning grease. Then at 97000 miles a (piston) rod began knocking. At this point I am looking at $6400.00 to repair the engine. I'd have just sold the thing if I didn't still owe more than $14,000 on it. Oh, and lets not forget about the fact that due to the overly sensitive transmission failure probability, you can NEVER just buy 2 new tires for this car. Unless you want to buy a new transmission, you'd better replace all 4 tires every time, and I don't even want to GUESS how much a transmission rebuild is on this car. Bought this car because I have always heard about Subaru's reputation for reliability. Suffice to say, I am NOT impressed."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals