2008 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 380 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Mixed Bag

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, safety, performance"

Cons: "Expensive to fix, expect big ticket failures"

"The Subaru ownership experience is a mixed bag. I've owned 3 of them (2001 and now a 2009 Outback plus a 2003 Legacy). The good: These are among the safest vehicles on the road. Day to day Driving dynamics/handling is excellent The interior is very functional and comfortable AWD in weather is fantastic The bad: If you've owned a bullet proof Honda/Toyota (I've had 4 of them) and you go in believing Subaru has their reliability you're going to be dissapointed. My 2001 ate wheel bearings (6 of them over 120K miles) and blew the head gasket at 110K miles. My 2003 had the head gasket blow at 65K miles and my 2009 (just off warranty at 42K miles) blew a strut. These cars has never left me stranded but they have had issues that required large cash outlays to fix. Because Subaru is a much smaller company that Honda/Toyota the pricing for parts is also greater. I have enjoyed all of the Subarus I've owned and believe they are well designed vehicles. Having said that if you buy one then be ready to spend on a couple thousand dollars on unscheduled maintence/problems. My Toyotas (95 Camry and 06 Sienna have gone 150K miles with virtually no unscheduled repairs)."

dissapointment

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Handling and and performance on icy roads and in the snow are excellent. Mileage is consistant 28-30 MPG. The check engine light has gone on five times in 30,000 miles. The light was reset by the Subaru dealer who cannot determined the cause of the activation. The Subaru Corp.has advised me in writing that this is how the car was "designed to perform". The car, which has a manual transmission, sometime stalls in first gear when driven slowly on steep inclines. The rubber gasket is loose around the back passenger window causing water to leak into the car."

"Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Everything else: handling in snow and in general"

Cons: "Reliability, head gaskets"

"I think I finally understand this slogan. I love my 2008 Subaru Outback. I have wanted one for several years. I finally bought mine about 4 months ago with 82,000 miles on it. I knew that Subaru's were infamous for head gasket issues, so I purchased an extended (3rd party) warranty. Within 4 months, I started having an oil leak. Turned out to be a leaking head gasket. Luckily, Route 66 (my warranty) covered the whole thing. They were awesome. Cost around $2,000 all said and done. I was really dissapointed. 85,000 miles...blown head gasket...that's pathetic. It embarrasses me that Subaru claims reliability and claims to have fixed the problem. Well, it is officially not fixed. BUT, I love this car. I like the handling even more than I thought I would. I think for a wagon, it's pretty classy and has enough room for me and my pup. So, Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru, because even though these cost you out the butt to fix, you still love them. Poor reliability, but I really like everything else. Not sure I would recommend it to friends or family unless they were ok with spend the money it costs to keep these going. Hey Subaru!! Fix this problem. This is embarrassing. A representative at the Subaru dealer told me, "Subaru recommends that you replace the head gaskets at 100,000 miles." Are you telling me that head gasket replacement ($2000 repair) now is routine maintanence? Emabarrassing. But, I still love it. Hope this is the last big repair I have."

I love this car and will buy another when it dies.

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "drives great, rocks in the snow, lots of power"

Cons: "snow in wheels sometimes unbalances the tires"

"Never had any problems, basic maintenece, slight complaint open wheels let snow sometimes unbalance the tires, easy to fix but a pain sometimes in northern michigan winters. THIS CAR ROCKS"

First time Subaru owner

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Pro's: Turbo is really quick, comfortable and well appointed interior, great heated seats, good looking exterior Cons: Stock Bridgestone tires are just awful, headlamps keep burning out, paint thin, windshield chips easily"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals