2007 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 387 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Good all around car

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Great handleing on snow and wet roads"

Cons: "Expensive reapirs, head gaskets and axles"

"I've owned my Outback for 7 years, bought it with 70K and now it has 186K. Good all around car and I do love the AWD, but if you're not driving on snow or roads that require AWD save your money and get a car that requires less maintenance. Subaru's are good cars but after 100K be prepared to repair on a regular basis, and it's not cheap! 2.5Outbacks are known for bad head gaskets and that's a $2400 repair at the dealer."

Sube Six is a Great Car

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"I've got the Legacy Outback X/T limited like the one in the picture. (Who knows it might even be the same one because its red.) Has the 5 Spd turbo with the big split sunroof. Overall I am really happy with this car. I bought it new and have had it for a little over 5 years. I am about to put 100,000 on it soon. No real maintenance issues except for the clutch. The throwout bearing went out at a little over 90,000, so I had to replace the whole clutch assembly. The worst part was that there was about another 50,000 miles left on the clutch plate and pressure plate. (A failure of a $50.00 part led to a $1,000 repair.) The only other maintenace has been oil changes, tuneups, brakes, 2 CV boots and tires. (If you buy soft Michelins, you will need to replace all four tires every 30,000 miles or so.) Likes: Performance: the 2.5 L Turbo moves out. Ground clearance, suspension and handling. Comfort: Dual Climate Control/Air Conditioning, and heated seats Brand: This model looks a lot better than the new (redesigned) Outbacks. (You can probably thank Toyota for that.) Dislikes: Headlights burn out every 2-4 months, and I am really careful not to touch the bulb when I replace them.) The interior carpeting fades/wears quicker than I would like. I'm going for 300,000 miles on this one, so I hope I can check back in every so often to update you."

I love this car and will buy another when it dies.

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "drives great, rocks in the snow, lots of power"

Cons: "snow in wheels sometimes unbalances the tires"

"Never had any problems, basic maintenece, slight complaint open wheels let snow sometimes unbalance the tires, easy to fix but a pain sometimes in northern michigan winters. THIS CAR ROCKS"

Awesome Reliability

By on Thursday, February 7, 2008

"This is the safest, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned! It really hugs the road well in icy/snowy/nasty conditions. Never have I felt uncomfortable in these conditions. I know that no matter what, I'm gonna stay on the road and only need to worry about the other drivers... My wife and I drove ours over 100 miles every day back and forth from Palmer, AK to Anchorage, AK. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about my Subaru!"

First time Subaru owner

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Pro's: Turbo is really quick, comfortable and well appointed interior, great heated seats, good looking exterior Cons: Stock Bridgestone tires are just awful, headlamps keep burning out, paint thin, windshield chips easily"

OUTSTANDING!!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I've had my '05 OB XT since November 2004, and I haven't had any problems beyond what Subaru already took care of -- that is, replaced DRL's with real DRL bulbs, and replaced an cooling fan relay that caused a short in the ECU and made the cooling fans run constantly. I traded an Audi A4 Avant for this car as I was moving to CO and wanted more "offroad" capability -- and I got it, with better acceleration and equal gas mileage (with some aftermarket improvements in tires and some parts). While it doesn't handle as well as my Audi did on the road, it's not meant to -- but it still handles pretty darn good. With snow tires, it's bombproof in the snow or offroad in all but the worst high-clearance conditions. Death Valley, Escalante, and CO backcountries have been no problem (with good judgment applied). I now have almost 56K miles on it and it's getting better gas mileage than ever! True to Subie heritage, I think this car will last well over 100K and perform just as well."

Avoid NA 2.5 go for the turbo 4 or na 6

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "great style"

Cons: "poor lower trims"

"I decided to wright this review because I was noticing a lot of people bashing on the car or one thing or another and more often than not they are complaining about trim specific issues such as a lack of power or a dodgy outdated transmission. This is ultimately true about the na 2.5 having a low amount of power but what do you expect from a car that is not geared toward speed but rather simplicity, thats why they used an engine thats design has been around for almost two decades. This also goes for the transmission as well, most of the outbacks that were sold came with the na 2.5 and 4 speed auto transmission. If you want a really solid car that will never let you down look no further than the na 3.0 liter. Subaru had just came out with a brand new engine called the "ez30r" which was an improvement over their previous 6 cylinder from 212 horse power to 250. This new engine comes in two trim levels the LL Bean edition and the VDC model. Now if you want something with a touch more power than that take a look at the XT trims because they come with a 2.5 liter turbocharged and aftercooled engine. It makes the same 250 horsepower as the six but makes thirty more foot pounds of torque but with this extra power comes more responsibility, when looking for an xt you must insure that the previous owner knew how to take care of a turbocharged car by preforming normal service such as using high quality synthetic oil and premium gasoline. Now about the 4 speed clunky old transmission, you need to worry because both the 3.0 and the 2.5 turbo come with a 5 speed auto which is miles better than the 4 speed, and if you are interested in getting a manual you'll have to look at the xt because the 3.0 did not come with the option of a 5 speed manual transmission. Over all im happy with my 05 outback ll bean edition, even at 190k miles she still happily revs out to the 7k redline when ever I wanna get on it, hope I helped some people in the right direction."

Reliability,Safety....VALUE

By on Saturday, June 6, 2009

"We have a 2008 Outback Limited with 20K. My wife and I are professional photographers. We spend a lot of time in the mountains of Montana, winter and the summer. The interior, with the seats down, holds all of our equipment with room to spare. The ground clearance is excellent. We have yet to find a road we couldn't negociate. After owning two new 4 wheel drive pickups, the Outback AWD system W/VDC and the sure footed versitility and handling is far superior to either truck. The car is solid with no rattles or mechanical issues of any kind. Replaced the Potenza tires with high performance Dunlap 3-D's. In Montana we tend to drive bettween 80 and 90 mph on the highways. Mileage is as expected, 25 plus highway, 20 plus city. I'm 6'3" and very comfortable with the interior and heated seats. Moonroof is great. Sportshift a major plus on the backroads. Headlights and fog lamps light the road up extremely well. Red gauge lights are easy on the eyes. We both feel safe and secure on any road condition. Now that the Subaru has proven itself to my satifaction, I'm in the process of buying there little sports rocket...the STI. Can't wait. We'll be customers for years to come."

Great Performance In Bad Weather!

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I have had my outback xt since oct. 2004 and it has been a great vehicle. Of course there are some issues I have had to deal with like the sound system is not the best and you have to get the dealership to install the headlights. You can pick out things that are wrong with most every car and it is all very little things with this car. I had to replace the tires at 22,000 miles but I spent the money and got some really good all weather tires. Now the car is handling amazing. This car, with it's AWD, has saved my life at least 2 times. I live in Colorado and it handles unbelievable in the snow now that I have good tires. Having the XT and 250 hp makes going up mountain passes so easy and it is so nice not feeling like your car is straining itself to get up the mountain. I also get amazing service at my dealership in Fort Collins so if you are not getting good service, try and find another dealership you can take you car to. Great service makes all the difference. Overall, this is a great car for people who are active and travel through harsh conditions. It is the ultimate outdoor adventure vehicle. Oh, and did I mention the sunroof goes into the backseat."

Bring on the inclement weather!

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "handling, price, trunk space, gas mileage, smooth ride"

Cons: "poor legroom, boring console"

"I've lived in MA, GA, and TN since I've owned this car and I love how well it handles in wind, hail, rain, snow, and ice. I'm not in love with the design or space (two carseats essentially eliminate the entire back seat), but I'd buy it again and suffer being cooped up just for how safe and in control I feel driving it; really smooth ride and handling even at high speeds. I agree with the other reviewer's seat comments - not enough leg room or padding (I've done frequent 1200-1500 mile treks in it, so I can say you really feel the lack of these after spending a day or two behind the wheel). On the plus side, you would be surprised just how much you can pack in the trunk. I average 24 mi/gal on the highway (at 80 mi/hr with the car packed to the gills - probably would be even better without the load), and between 22-27 mi/gal around town depending on AC use."

Just saved my life

By on Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"No joke, last weekend I was going to my parent's house with my wife and another driver ran through a stop sign and 'T-bone'd me, impacting on the driver and rear door. We ended up about 100 feet off the road in a front lawn on the roof of the car, and we were able to crawl out my driver's window. Side air bags and solid frame let us walk away with bruises and scrapes."

great all a round car

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"what not to like. great in the snow and all kids of weather"

Love my car!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I bought a used 2005 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5i exactly a year ago now. It has exceeded every expectation I had for it. The gas milage is as good, if not better sometimes then the listed averages. On average I get 27.8 mpg for combined city/hwy driving and on hwy get 30 on average. My only complaint would be the tires that come on the vehicle. The Potenza tires, although they road smooth, had to be replaced soon after I bought the car. They only had 31000 miles on them and had no tread left. Like others said, three adults across the back seat is a tight fit, but the rest of the interior is like a luxury car (w/o the steep price). My two labs love the trunk space and the car handles great in all conditions. I couldn't have found a better car for the price."

My dog loves this car.

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"This car is superb. I bought it 3 years ago and it is worth more now than I bought it for. It is a bit slow uphill in the mountains, but I shouldn't be driving that fast anyhow. :o) the criteria for me with respect to purchasing a c ar was AWD and the ability to hold 4 adults comfortably. I routinely drive on mountain roadtrips and everyone loves the legroom. I thought about the WRX instead of the Outback, but the lack of legroom in the back wasn't so great. I generally get about 26mpg (higher in summer, less in winter) and I am very pleased with the comfort. The seats and console are way better in this model than in the older setups. Super car and a great value..."

Still in awe

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"I Love this car, Old reliable with leather, and AWD. I've destroyed the great Northeast in all weather conditions. I only need to stop for fuel, washer fluid, and the occasional oil change. 84,000 miles and nothing needs done that wasn't scheduled. I changed the front brakes myself, but they really didn't need it yet. The car is the great commuter, even knocking into the mid 30MPGs when you behave. It is still great fun on the backroads, and can hold more than I ever imagined. Lighter and larger than the old outback, and more everything else too. All it needs is a stereo upgrade to accompany me on long voyages, not just trips, but voyages."

2nd best car i've ever had after Honda Accord

By on Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Pros: "Easy driving. Comfortable on long trips."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Love this car. Lots of carrying capacity. Hauled a lot of trash to dump. Makes hauling to beach easy. Very reliable. Bought used. Only failure I've had was alternator & that was just recently. Easy driving. Good road holding. Best brakes I've ever had on any car I've owned and that is close to ten. Fixes mostly easy and relatively inexpensive. As I said, bought used, have had it almost 3 years and it always goes in all weather. We get lake effect snow here and I never hesitate to go if I'm needed."

I have owned seven Subaru Outbacks

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "Trouble free driving"

Cons: "Engine noise when stepping on it"

"Trouble free driving is the best way I can say it. Easy handling, good gas mileage, easy to change your own oil. Has all the essential features most any driver would want. Consumer's Report rates the Outback at the top of the list of good cars in its class. I like the true station wagon style that few other makers offer in a moderate price range. Plenty of storage space in the back. The all-wheel drive is so helpful in winter snows. If there is one downside the engine noise when accelerating aggressively is a bit louder than normal, but I rarely find myself in that situation and the noise doesn't really bother me."

Best vehicle ever, most value for the $$ spent.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "No satelite radio or leather in this trim package"

"No problems with this car since I drove it out of showroom. I did all suggested maintenance but that is all I have ever spent on this car. What is best is that it moved me, my husband and 10 cats to Louisiana from Massachusetts - mostly comfortably! It handles the road very well and front end is tight to the road. Braking is great and cornering is very good without much tipping or leaning. I now have the Tribecca in addition to the Outback and am looking at a 2012 Outback......I love Subaru!"

Second Review 2006 XT Limited

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I have had my 2006 Legacy Outback X/T for three full years now. (Its the same car you see in the picture including the color.) Great Car! I have owned 5 other Subarus for over 22 years, so I have witnessed the evolution. Yes the car has become more expensive to buy and to operate over the years but it is more car and still holds the bulk of its value. Pros of this model: Quick. (Turbo engine and 5 speed manual transmission) Comfortable. Heated leather seats, quiet ride, great factory stereo. Safe. All Wheel Drive, AL Disc Brakes, Air bags galore Cons of this model: Factory Tires (The Michelin Pilots I replaced them with are 5 times better.) Maintenance. First brake job 56,000 miles Mileage. Having the turbo will reduce your mileage because you will use it."

Please Read

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I own a 2006 Outback wagon, 23,000 on the clock. Numerous front wheel brake issues- car rattles everywhere- The ride is comfortable, and handles ok, lots of cargo space. It is a monster in the snow! The automatic transmission leaves something to be desired, I would recommend the manual tranny. This is my second Subaru- my 04 Impreza blew a head gasket at 19,000 miles and I traded for the Outback, and I am still not impressed. I would not buy another Subaru, it does however fill a niche."

Sporty, Fun and reliable

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Best car that I have ever had. Plenty of room for hauling the stroller and the dog. Powerful enough to open up and tak eon the best of them. Would not trade the car for any other wagon."

Will Never Owen another car

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"We bought our outback new in 2005 and LOVE it. Every single day we say it out loud. It is a smooth ride, great power in the mountains, handles well, packs all our camping gear with ease, love the stereo, the quality, everything. Only one area was the factory tires - not the greatest but with new tires, perfect. We will own Subaru from here on out. We fully intend to own this car long enough to be my six year olds first car. Can't say enough good things about it."

This is the most reliable, best car for the value

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Good price, well maintained, one owner"

Cons: "A little body scratches but fixed with factory kit"

"I have owned this car since 2006. I bought it brand new and it has been my main vehicle of transportation. I love the heated seats in winter and the turn radius the interior light tan leather is still as clean and pretty as when it was bought. It is roomy, comfortable and can be down shifted for mountain driving or freeway speed. I have had no major mechanical problems and I have always kept up the regular maintenance."

My 5th Subaru

By on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"This is a reliable, utilitarian vehicle. Gives my wife the confidence to take on Upstate NY winters. After 5 Subies, I expect this one to last 10+ years and 180,000 miles."

Overall Great Car

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"I have a 2005 Outback I purchased used from a local dealer. It came from New Jersey, where California Emissions cars are required. I didn't know this fact when I bought the car. I appreciate the fact that it emits fewer toxins, but this is an expensive exhaust system to repair. It has 5 oxygen sensors that run about $100 apiece. I had to replace the catalytic converter at 90,000 miles which was stunningly expensive. Besides that little financial setback, the car is wonderful for the northern snowy climate I live in and I feel very secure driving it in poor weather conditions especially with good snow tires since it is AWD. LOVE those heated seats!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals