2007 Subaru Outback

Based on 337 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Avoid NA 2.5 go for the turbo 4 or na 6

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "great style"

Cons: "poor lower trims"

"I decided to wright this review because I was noticing a lot of people bashing on the car or one thing or another and more often than not they are complaining about trim specific issues such as a lack of power or a dodgy outdated transmission. This is ultimately true about the na 2.5 having a low amount of power but what do you expect from a car that is not geared toward speed but rather simplicity, thats why they used an engine thats design has been around for almost two decades. This also goes for the transmission as well, most of the outbacks that were sold came with the na 2.5 and 4 speed auto transmission. If you want a really solid car that will never let you down look no further than the na 3.0 liter. Subaru had just came out with a brand new engine called the "ez30r" which was an improvement over their previous 6 cylinder from 212 horse power to 250. This new engine comes in two trim levels the LL Bean edition and the VDC model. Now if you want something with a touch more power than that take a look at the XT trims because they come with a 2.5 liter turbocharged and aftercooled engine. It makes the same 250 horsepower as the six but makes thirty more foot pounds of torque but with this extra power comes more responsibility, when looking for an xt you must insure that the previous owner knew how to take care of a turbocharged car by preforming normal service such as using high quality synthetic oil and premium gasoline. Now about the 4 speed clunky old transmission, you need to worry because both the 3.0 and the 2.5 turbo come with a 5 speed auto which is miles better than the 4 speed, and if you are interested in getting a manual you'll have to look at the xt because the 3.0 did not come with the option of a 5 speed manual transmission. Over all im happy with my 05 outback ll bean edition, even at 190k miles she still happily revs out to the 7k redline when ever I wanna get on it, hope I helped some people in the right direction."

NOT happy!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Does great in the ice and snow"

Cons: "Poor reliability, Autotrans models are sluggish"

"Bought this car used with 32000 on the odometer. It is now at the local Subaru dealer (again), having the engine rebuilt. At 45 years old I have owned a LOT of cars in the 30 years I've been driving. I was an ASE certified mechanic for some time and definitely know my way around under the hood. This car has very easily been hands down the most expensive to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. Since I bought it I've had two major mechanical failures, first the front CV boots (both sides) failed, spewing CV grease all over the engine compartment and the catalytic converter which to this day emits a horrendous smell from the burning grease. Then at 97000 miles a (piston) rod began knocking. At this point I am looking at $6400.00 to repair the engine. I'd have just sold the thing if I didn't still owe more than $14,000 on it. Oh, and lets not forget about the fact that due to the overly sensitive transmission failure probability, you can NEVER just buy 2 new tires for this car. Unless you want to buy a new transmission, you'd better replace all 4 tires every time, and I don't even want to GUESS how much a transmission rebuild is on this car. Bought this car because I have always heard about Subaru's reputation for reliability. Suffice to say, I am NOT impressed."

My third one - still love Outback, but not latest.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "engine slow on long hills"

"The have made the new Outbacks larger and more like every other SUV. I particularly enjoyed the smallness of the 2008 (it fits in my tiny garage) and wonder what I will try next."

Perfect for New England weather.

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Capable in any weather"

Cons: "mediocre fit and finish & material quality"

"A great overall vehicle to own. Fit and finish deteriorates as the miles accumulate. Engine has always rattled which gets annoying every time the engine starts up this seems due to rusted out fittings on the heat shield which is where i believe the manufacturer cuts costs. Any problems with the vehicle has been covered by warrantee: (faulty front drive shaft). A big quality issue is with the "premium" wheels; the finish deteriorates alloy oxidizes and they look terrible! have been replaced 2 times, problem still occurs. Premium radio bass rattles the doors from about 20K miles on. Other than the above problems, overall great car to own."

the speed of a hybrid with mileage of a V6

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "premium features, solid All Wheel Drive"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, slow performance, weird throttle"

"My 2006 Subaru Outback has 150,000 miles and the catalytic converter is failing. Cost of ownership is too high. All maintenance has been kept up to date. Mileage is terrible. For a slow four-cylider, I can't get above 27 mpg on a very low speed, highway tank. Going 70 on a roadtrip, I get 24mpg. Cargo space is amazing but the back seats don't have enough leg room for adults or space for rear-facing baby carriers. The throttle and clutch engagement make it difficult to drive, so my wife doesn't like driving it, despite her daily driver having a manual, also. Want to know how much I like it? Although it has premium features like seat heaters and mirror defrosters, I'm going to replace it with a new car while keeping my wife's 2001 Saturn SL."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals