2007 Subaru Outback

Based on 336 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

NOT happy!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Does great in the ice and snow"

Cons: "Poor reliability, Autotrans models are sluggish"

"Bought this car used with 32000 on the odometer. It is now at the local Subaru dealer (again), having the engine rebuilt. At 45 years old I have owned a LOT of cars in the 30 years I've been driving. I was an ASE certified mechanic for some time and definitely know my way around under the hood. This car has very easily been hands down the most expensive to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. Since I bought it I've had two major mechanical failures, first the front CV boots (both sides) failed, spewing CV grease all over the engine compartment and the catalytic converter which to this day emits a horrendous smell from the burning grease. Then at 97000 miles a (piston) rod began knocking. At this point I am looking at $6400.00 to repair the engine. I'd have just sold the thing if I didn't still owe more than $14,000 on it. Oh, and lets not forget about the fact that due to the overly sensitive transmission failure probability, you can NEVER just buy 2 new tires for this car. Unless you want to buy a new transmission, you'd better replace all 4 tires every time, and I don't even want to GUESS how much a transmission rebuild is on this car. Bought this car because I have always heard about Subaru's reputation for reliability. Suffice to say, I am NOT impressed."

My third one - still love Outback, but not latest.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "engine slow on long hills"

"The have made the new Outbacks larger and more like every other SUV. I particularly enjoyed the smallness of the 2008 (it fits in my tiny garage) and wonder what I will try next."

Perfect for New England weather.

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Capable in any weather"

Cons: "mediocre fit and finish & material quality"

"A great overall vehicle to own. Fit and finish deteriorates as the miles accumulate. Engine has always rattled which gets annoying every time the engine starts up this seems due to rusted out fittings on the heat shield which is where i believe the manufacturer cuts costs. Any problems with the vehicle has been covered by warrantee: (faulty front drive shaft). A big quality issue is with the "premium" wheels; the finish deteriorates alloy oxidizes and they look terrible! have been replaced 2 times, problem still occurs. Premium radio bass rattles the doors from about 20K miles on. Other than the above problems, overall great car to own."

the speed of a hybrid with mileage of a V6

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "premium features, solid All Wheel Drive"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, slow performance, weird throttle"

"My 2006 Subaru Outback has 150,000 miles and the catalytic converter is failing. Cost of ownership is too high. All maintenance has been kept up to date. Mileage is terrible. For a slow four-cylider, I can't get above 27 mpg on a very low speed, highway tank. Going 70 on a roadtrip, I get 24mpg. Cargo space is amazing but the back seats don't have enough leg room for adults or space for rear-facing baby carriers. The throttle and clutch engagement make it difficult to drive, so my wife doesn't like driving it, despite her daily driver having a manual, also. Want to know how much I like it? Although it has premium features like seat heaters and mirror defrosters, I'm going to replace it with a new car while keeping my wife's 2001 Saturn SL."

cool but not super.

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "its fast"

Cons: "its old (well to me it is)"

"i love the stander AWD. It has a good sound system. we drove it from montana and back 2 times."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Pep, looks, speed, hauling capacity"

Cons: "More comfortable seats; more front storage"

"It took me through snowdrifts, across rushing floodwater up to bottom of doors and never stalled. I've hauled everything under the sun in it and it usually fit. Also, I don't know how I lived before and how I'll live after having a turbo charged vehicle. It is just awesome. Like driving a sportscar while hauling 2x4's, a two cases of paper towels and groceries for a week."

A resonable car until 122k miles.

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"The car did as we expected for 122,000. Then a crack in both heads was revealed when the exhaust valve guide slid and bent the valve. Apparently not an uncommon issue, and the dealer's response was it sounds like you had some bad luck. Here is the good luck they are 2 1/2 hours away, an I am still sleeping in my own bed."

This car is solid!

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow; low cost of ownership"

Cons: "Not a lot of fun"

"This has been my commuting car since 2009. I've driven it through awful snow without a problem. It's not fast. The 4 speed transmission isn't smooth. The Harmon-Kardon sound system is amazing. I've put NO money into it for repairs. If you want a bomb-proof reliable car, this is it."

good car

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

"good car"

great car but I had lifestyle change

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Reason: too much hard driving in the future; wanted to let it age gracefully

Pros: "very quick, reliable, stylish, roomy, comfortable"

Cons: "needs premium gas, turbos supposedly dicey"

"I loved this car. Have always owned nice cars (BMW, other Subarus) but this was tops: snazzy looking, speedy, comfortable, and for its power and time, good gas mileage. Never let me down despite huge commutes night and day over nine years across country, good weather and bad. Although it never had engine problems (I was careful about oil changes, premium gas, and other maintenance), the suspension and other replacements were starting to cost money--after costing me nothing for 8 years except the routine servicing-- and I was looking at more heavy commuting on lousy NE roads, so I decided to get a new car requiring only regular gas and non-turbo to handle that and let this red rocket age gracefully with someone who'll take good care of it, have fun shutting down BMWs, etc., but not need to drive it so hard as I had to for work and now have to for family-medical reasons."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for