2006 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 380 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Mixed Bag

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, safety, performance"

Cons: "Expensive to fix, expect big ticket failures"

"The Subaru ownership experience is a mixed bag. I've owned 3 of them (2001 and now a 2009 Outback plus a 2003 Legacy). The good: These are among the safest vehicles on the road. Day to day Driving dynamics/handling is excellent The interior is very functional and comfortable AWD in weather is fantastic The bad: If you've owned a bullet proof Honda/Toyota (I've had 4 of them) and you go in believing Subaru has their reliability you're going to be dissapointed. My 2001 ate wheel bearings (6 of them over 120K miles) and blew the head gasket at 110K miles. My 2003 had the head gasket blow at 65K miles and my 2009 (just off warranty at 42K miles) blew a strut. These cars has never left me stranded but they have had issues that required large cash outlays to fix. Because Subaru is a much smaller company that Honda/Toyota the pricing for parts is also greater. I have enjoyed all of the Subarus I've owned and believe they are well designed vehicles. Having said that if you buy one then be ready to spend on a couple thousand dollars on unscheduled maintence/problems. My Toyotas (95 Camry and 06 Sienna have gone 150K miles with virtually no unscheduled repairs)."

dissapointment

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Handling and and performance on icy roads and in the snow are excellent. Mileage is consistant 28-30 MPG. The check engine light has gone on five times in 30,000 miles. The light was reset by the Subaru dealer who cannot determined the cause of the activation. The Subaru Corp.has advised me in writing that this is how the car was "designed to perform". The car, which has a manual transmission, sometime stalls in first gear when driven slowly on steep inclines. The rubber gasket is loose around the back passenger window causing water to leak into the car."

"Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Everything else: handling in snow and in general"

Cons: "Reliability, head gaskets"

"I think I finally understand this slogan. I love my 2008 Subaru Outback. I have wanted one for several years. I finally bought mine about 4 months ago with 82,000 miles on it. I knew that Subaru's were infamous for head gasket issues, so I purchased an extended (3rd party) warranty. Within 4 months, I started having an oil leak. Turned out to be a leaking head gasket. Luckily, Route 66 (my warranty) covered the whole thing. They were awesome. Cost around $2,000 all said and done. I was really dissapointed. 85,000 miles...blown head gasket...that's pathetic. It embarrasses me that Subaru claims reliability and claims to have fixed the problem. Well, it is officially not fixed. BUT, I love this car. I like the handling even more than I thought I would. I think for a wagon, it's pretty classy and has enough room for me and my pup. So, Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru, because even though these cost you out the butt to fix, you still love them. Poor reliability, but I really like everything else. Not sure I would recommend it to friends or family unless they were ok with spend the money it costs to keep these going. Hey Subaru!! Fix this problem. This is embarrassing. A representative at the Subaru dealer told me, "Subaru recommends that you replace the head gaskets at 100,000 miles." Are you telling me that head gasket replacement ($2000 repair) now is routine maintanence? Emabarrassing. But, I still love it. Hope this is the last big repair I have."

I love this car and will buy another when it dies.

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "drives great, rocks in the snow, lots of power"

Cons: "snow in wheels sometimes unbalances the tires"

"Never had any problems, basic maintenece, slight complaint open wheels let snow sometimes unbalance the tires, easy to fix but a pain sometimes in northern michigan winters. THIS CAR ROCKS"

First time Subaru owner

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Pro's: Turbo is really quick, comfortable and well appointed interior, great heated seats, good looking exterior Cons: Stock Bridgestone tires are just awful, headlamps keep burning out, paint thin, windshield chips easily"

OUTSTANDING!!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I've had my '05 OB XT since November 2004, and I haven't had any problems beyond what Subaru already took care of -- that is, replaced DRL's with real DRL bulbs, and replaced an cooling fan relay that caused a short in the ECU and made the cooling fans run constantly. I traded an Audi A4 Avant for this car as I was moving to CO and wanted more "offroad" capability -- and I got it, with better acceleration and equal gas mileage (with some aftermarket improvements in tires and some parts). While it doesn't handle as well as my Audi did on the road, it's not meant to -- but it still handles pretty darn good. With snow tires, it's bombproof in the snow or offroad in all but the worst high-clearance conditions. Death Valley, Escalante, and CO backcountries have been no problem (with good judgment applied). I now have almost 56K miles on it and it's getting better gas mileage than ever! True to Subie heritage, I think this car will last well over 100K and perform just as well."

the speed of a hybrid with mileage of a V6

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "premium features, solid All Wheel Drive"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, slow performance, weird throttle"

"My 2006 Subaru Outback has 150,000 miles and the catalytic converter is failing. Cost of ownership is too high. All maintenance has been kept up to date. Mileage is terrible. For a slow four-cylider, I can't get above 27 mpg on a very low speed, highway tank. Going 70 on a roadtrip, I get 24mpg. Cargo space is amazing but the back seats don't have enough leg room for adults or space for rear-facing baby carriers. The throttle and clutch engagement make it difficult to drive, so my wife doesn't like driving it, despite her daily driver having a manual, also. Want to know how much I like it? Although it has premium features like seat heaters and mirror defrosters, I'm going to replace it with a new car while keeping my wife's 2001 Saturn SL."

Good all around car

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Great handleing on snow and wet roads"

Cons: "Expensive reapirs, head gaskets and axles"

"I've owned my Outback for 7 years, bought it with 70K and now it has 186K. Good all around car and I do love the AWD, but if you're not driving on snow or roads that require AWD save your money and get a car that requires less maintenance. Subaru's are good cars but after 100K be prepared to repair on a regular basis, and it's not cheap! 2.5Outbacks are known for bad head gaskets and that's a $2400 repair at the dealer."

Bring on the inclement weather!

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "handling, price, trunk space, gas mileage, smooth ride"

Cons: "poor legroom, boring console"

"I've lived in MA, GA, and TN since I've owned this car and I love how well it handles in wind, hail, rain, snow, and ice. I'm not in love with the design or space (two carseats essentially eliminate the entire back seat), but I'd buy it again and suffer being cooped up just for how safe and in control I feel driving it; really smooth ride and handling even at high speeds. I agree with the other reviewer's seat comments - not enough leg room or padding (I've done frequent 1200-1500 mile treks in it, so I can say you really feel the lack of these after spending a day or two behind the wheel). On the plus side, you would be surprised just how much you can pack in the trunk. I average 24 mi/gal on the highway (at 80 mi/hr with the car packed to the gills - probably would be even better without the load), and between 22-27 mi/gal around town depending on AC use."

Sube Six is a Great Car

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"I've got the Legacy Outback X/T limited like the one in the picture. (Who knows it might even be the same one because its red.) Has the 5 Spd turbo with the big split sunroof. Overall I am really happy with this car. I bought it new and have had it for a little over 5 years. I am about to put 100,000 on it soon. No real maintenance issues except for the clutch. The throwout bearing went out at a little over 90,000, so I had to replace the whole clutch assembly. The worst part was that there was about another 50,000 miles left on the clutch plate and pressure plate. (A failure of a $50.00 part led to a $1,000 repair.) The only other maintenace has been oil changes, tuneups, brakes, 2 CV boots and tires. (If you buy soft Michelins, you will need to replace all four tires every 30,000 miles or so.) Likes: Performance: the 2.5 L Turbo moves out. Ground clearance, suspension and handling. Comfort: Dual Climate Control/Air Conditioning, and heated seats Brand: This model looks a lot better than the new (redesigned) Outbacks. (You can probably thank Toyota for that.) Dislikes: Headlights burn out every 2-4 months, and I am really careful not to touch the bulb when I replace them.) The interior carpeting fades/wears quicker than I would like. I'm going for 300,000 miles on this one, so I hope I can check back in every so often to update you."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals