2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Mixed Bag

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, safety, performance"

Cons: "Expensive to fix, expect big ticket failures"

"The Subaru ownership experience is a mixed bag. I've owned 3 of them (2001 and now a 2009 Outback plus a 2003 Legacy). The good: These are among the safest vehicles on the road. Day to day Driving dynamics/handling is excellent The interior is very functional and comfortable AWD in weather is fantastic The bad: If you've owned a bullet proof Honda/Toyota (I've had 4 of them) and you go in believing Subaru has their reliability you're going to be dissapointed. My 2001 ate wheel bearings (6 of them over 120K miles) and blew the head gasket at 110K miles. My 2003 had the head gasket blow at 65K miles and my 2009 (just off warranty at 42K miles) blew a strut. These cars has never left me stranded but they have had issues that required large cash outlays to fix. Because Subaru is a much smaller company that Honda/Toyota the pricing for parts is also greater. I have enjoyed all of the Subarus I've owned and believe they are well designed vehicles. Having said that if you buy one then be ready to spend on a couple thousand dollars on unscheduled maintence/problems. My Toyotas (95 Camry and 06 Sienna have gone 150K miles with virtually no unscheduled repairs)."

Thoughts after 4 months

By on Thursday, April 19, 2007

"The mechanicals of this car are excellent - it starts without complaint even at -50F (with proper winterization!), it is peppy, sure-footed, and responsive. In the fun-to-drive department, this is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck in an economical family wagon. Compared to the standard 2.5i wagon, the Basic offers no compromises and is therefore an excellent alternative to save some dollars upon purchase. The only problem I have with this vehicle is its cold-weather build quality and interior rattles. The rattles seem to be more problematic of my particular car than with these vehicles in general, but the cold-weather problems (if the car is cold, windows will not open colder than about -20F, knobs are extremely difficult to move, doors are nearly impossible to latch) are across the board. That aspect is disappointing considering I owned a 1996 Outback for 220,000 miles and none of these problems were problems with that car. Also, the rear leg room in this car is diminished compared to my 1996 so the entire cabin area feels more cramped. The floor area of the cargo space is larger and more versatile, however, so that is a plus. For example, the rear seat backs can be folded 60/40 now and the seat cushion does not need to be raised. This allows added cargo room while still utilizing one side of the rear seats for sitting. I know that is no great feat amongst its peers, but is a very nice improvement from ten years back. The good: fun to drive, versatile, reliable, economical, and attractive. Extremely comfortable, form-fitting seats. The bad: terrible OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-92), rattles, cheap shift and parking boots (cracks in cold temperatures approximately less than -20F)."

I wish I had my Outback back!

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Reason: divorce

Pros: "Quick acceleration. Good ground clearance."

"A 2006 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean edition with 3.0 liter 6-cylinder Boxer engine was the best car I have ever owned. When I was driving over the mountain, passing big rigs was no problem. I just put my foot down on the accelerator and instantly felt a burst of speed that took me out of harm's way. The power felt good! This was NOT a sluggish car. I like the ground clearance. Also, I enjoyed carrying my dog in the back, and he liked it too!"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted