2004 Subaru Outback

8.3

Based on 637 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Well cared for 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "condition, care, new tires, recently serviced"

Cons: "some rust starting"

"Get a great car for a good value. Our 2001 Outback is in great shape in spite of the mileage. It has been garaged for it's life with us and has many great features that are standard with the LL Bean edition."

i bought new, its been great, very good in snow. F

By on Saturday, June 30, 2012

"For some reason it goes through brakes, (3 sets in ten years and needs them again). Only other mechanical is I replaced a leaky radiator at about 3 years. They seem to hold their value well. I would buy another."

Decent AWD vehicle.

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Moderate repair bills, good heat and a/c. AWD"

Cons: "motor issues, marginal power"

"Decent AWD vehicle. Do own maintenance and bought new, so very familiar w/trouble points. Rear brake pad backing plates need to be ground or will bind in retainers and wear fast. Most Outbacks of this era have piston slap noise when engine cold and hit throttle. Sounds bad, but not a serious problem, but could keep a potential buyer away. Lots of head gasket problems, but mine has been OK at 125,000 mi. Center viscous coupling on manual transmissions can go--mine did. Check by making hard left and right turns and note noise. Clutch on manual transmission models wear fast due to high 1st gear requiring lots of clutch slip to get started. I got 60,000 mi. out of clutch. Other cars I've had get twice that. Exhaust stainless, but not flanges, so will rot. Need custom exhaust place to cut flanges out and replace with sleeves--don't need new exhaust. Suspension and manual transmission are very good. Softly sprung for comfortable ride at expense of good handling. Marginal acceleration even w/manual. Excellent heater and A/C--never any problems."

Gives me peace in the snow

By on Sunday, December 05, 2010

"Love that I can depend on it to get me anywhere in the snow and on the ice (as long as I drive sensibly). Has never let me down. Have done normal maintenance, tires, battery, hoses and belts but I have 96,000 miles on it. I wish that subaru would design more comfort in the seats for the driver. Overall it is a great reliable vehicle and I get great mileage (25 mpg average, higer on the hwy."

A great car!

By on Monday, April 05, 2010

"When it comes to performance and reliability, it's hard to beat a Subaru. If you keep it well maintained according to manufacturer specs, this car will last you a long time. The mpg rating is great for an AWD vehicle...I still get 28 on the highway after 110,000 miles."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals