2004 Subaru Outback

8.3

Based on 638 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Good car so far

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"We have had very little problems with our subaru. Here in Seattle, this is the official car of the lower yuppie class. There are 8 on our block. We have never had any reliability issues. When it was new I did however find a few things wrong with it like the seat cushion was unstitching, and one taillight was holding water. The dealer fixed these issues right away without question. We like the space, 4WD, handling, and low road noise. The only detractors are a cheap plastic interior, poor acceleration, and not the best gas mileage for such poor pep...(20mpg avg). I had an old 1985 subie wagon with a pathetic 96hp 4cyl that got 34mpg. I wish they would target a 30mpg car with moderate performance."

great car. horrible engine

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "Heads and Gaskets are flawed."

"We have had to replace the heads four times since we got it in 2008. Have had to replace head gaskets just as often. Car drives like a dream though great on gas mileage. great for long trips too. Wish the engine was better though. We have put about $10,000 in the engine alone."

stylish and comfortable but beware

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"I have loved this car since the day I bought it, and I have taken very good care of it. Sadly at 170,000 mi. the head gasket has begun to leak and my engine overheats and now needs to be replaced. I have been told by more than a few people that the 1998 Outback has a problem with this particular thing, and it is best to buy a different year."

So-so

By on Sunday, August 30, 2009

""I bought this vehicle with New England winters in mind (AWD for snow). It really does handle beautifully in poor driving conditions... However when the check engine light is on or you can smell antifreeze fumes it becomes a night mare. Initially, everything was great, bought it used with 80,000, I had some reservations but the Suburu dealer assured me they will back the car 100% and talked me into a used car warranty... so the slow downward spiral began. Over the past 3 years ending with the dreaded head gasket, one troublesome piston, timing chain and oil pump replacement at a cost of $4900. Apparently, Subaru knew of these problem but refused a recall of the 2003 and earlier models. The car sounds like the front windows are always open a tiny bit. Replacement of rubber gaskets at a cost of $395! No more Subaru!!!"

Well cared for 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "condition, care, new tires, recently serviced"

Cons: "some rust starting"

"Get a great car for a good value. Our 2001 Outback is in great shape in spite of the mileage. It has been garaged for it's life with us and has many great features that are standard with the LL Bean edition."

i bought new, its been great, very good in snow. F

By on Saturday, June 30, 2012

"For some reason it goes through brakes, (3 sets in ten years and needs them again). Only other mechanical is I replaced a leaky radiator at about 3 years. They seem to hold their value well. I would buy another."

Decent AWD vehicle.

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Moderate repair bills, good heat and a/c. AWD"

Cons: "motor issues, marginal power"

"Decent AWD vehicle. Do own maintenance and bought new, so very familiar w/trouble points. Rear brake pad backing plates need to be ground or will bind in retainers and wear fast. Most Outbacks of this era have piston slap noise when engine cold and hit throttle. Sounds bad, but not a serious problem, but could keep a potential buyer away. Lots of head gasket problems, but mine has been OK at 125,000 mi. Center viscous coupling on manual transmissions can go--mine did. Check by making hard left and right turns and note noise. Clutch on manual transmission models wear fast due to high 1st gear requiring lots of clutch slip to get started. I got 60,000 mi. out of clutch. Other cars I've had get twice that. Exhaust stainless, but not flanges, so will rot. Need custom exhaust place to cut flanges out and replace with sleeves--don't need new exhaust. Suspension and manual transmission are very good. Softly sprung for comfortable ride at expense of good handling. Marginal acceleration even w/manual. Excellent heater and A/C--never any problems."

Gives me peace in the snow

By on Sunday, December 05, 2010

"Love that I can depend on it to get me anywhere in the snow and on the ice (as long as I drive sensibly). Has never let me down. Have done normal maintenance, tires, battery, hoses and belts but I have 96,000 miles on it. I wish that subaru would design more comfort in the seats for the driver. Overall it is a great reliable vehicle and I get great mileage (25 mpg average, higer on the hwy."

A great car!

By on Monday, April 05, 2010

"When it comes to performance and reliability, it's hard to beat a Subaru. If you keep it well maintained according to manufacturer specs, this car will last you a long time. The mpg rating is great for an AWD vehicle...I still get 28 on the highway after 110,000 miles."

Good car until the gasket blew

By on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"The car was going well until the head gasket issue came up. Up until then the car was fine no major issues. Ok performance level - solid but nothing extraordinary. A bit tough on brakes and the seats are not that comfortable. This was my third Subaru but I have decided to move on. Since I was out of warranty (83k) they gave me only 20% off the fixing of the head gaskets $2200 plus they felt they were doing me a huge favor. Amazing how companies get this stuff in reverse. They are clearly designing cars at a cheaper level nowadays. Not like the older designs which were over-engineered. So all up an average car with average service."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals