2002 Subaru Outback

8.3

Based on 634 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Great Car, second Subaru Outback, will buy another

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Inexpensive used car, comfortable and reilable."

Cons: "Haven't been able to get cruise control working"

"I bought my 1996 Outback used almost 6 years ago, it had almost 150K on it at the time. Minor mechanical repairs since then, drive it to work each day, great in the snow, decent mileage. I've got over 246K on it now and its still going strong. Definitely recommend Subaru. My next car will be another outback."

Still Going strong

By on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"We've owned our 2002 LL Bean for 8 years. It was our second Subie. We have not piled up a lot of miles on it. Superb in snow and performs well. Comfortable on long trips. I fully intend that this car will take my son to college in two years and serve him well for many years to come. We had a bit of a go with the evap system but our mechanic, not the dealer got it sorted, and as we live near a major city she eats brakes but other than that reliable as a refrigerator! I must express some skepticism of the bad reviews here. This has not been our experience and certainly consumer reports would rate this vehicle highly."

Good driving / handling car

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Was very reliable."

Cons: "Head Gasket issues, CatConverter/O2 sensors."

"Bought this Outback used with 260k on it for $2500. Reportedly had a new motor put in at 220k!? Had a perpetual oil leak but ran like a champ and with a 5-speed, was just fun to drive. Had typical rust spots at rear wheel wells. Replaced a muffler and driveshaft at 290k. Has had CEL issues due to catalytic converter and O2 sensor codes, but inspectors helped me through it. Just recently went to severe overheating issues (mechanics say likely Head Gasket) so forced to junk it as it also needs tires and brakes. Definitely looking for another 5-speed Outback."

great car. horrible engine

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "Heads and Gaskets are flawed."

"We have had to replace the heads four times since we got it in 2008. Have had to replace head gaskets just as often. Car drives like a dream though great on gas mileage. great for long trips too. Wish the engine was better though. We have put about $10,000 in the engine alone."

Be Careful

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Am on my 2nd one, and it's in the shop for the same reason I had to get rid of my first one- motor problems. The headgaskets are notorious for going bad on these cars- I would highly encourage you to do your research before making the decision to buy one. It's sad too, because I love the car itself. We live in Michigan, and the cars are tanks through snow and bad weather. I had 98,000 miles on my 1998 when it puked, and now 145,000 on my 2001. I had hoped to get 200,000 easily, based on what I had heard. Great cars if you only have them for 75,000 miles. If you plan on keeping it for 200,000 miles, do your homework."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals