2002 Subaru Outback

8.3

Based on 624 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Lots of issues when keeping for more than 4-5 yrs

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "Recommend if plan on only keeping for 4-6 years"

Cons: "Only buy if you have money to waste"

"Drivers side rear began rusting after 5 years with no accidents or scratches on it; now quite bad and needs lots of body work before it will pass inspection again. Check engine light repeatedly goes on for more than half the life of car. Paid lots of money to have it fixed many times, but light just comes back on again after a few weeks. Each year before inspection time must go to shop and they do something to make the light go off and blame it on something that has costed anywhere from $120-$700. Have records to prove it. Head gasket went close to 100,000 miles which is an outrageous repair bill due to labor. Car has only 135,000. 2nd subaru kept more than 4-5 years; best to get rid of them financially wise after 4-6 years. Had 5 Subaru's all together due to needing good awd and not caring for SUVs; I always buy new trying to avoid someone elses problems; 2 rusted quite bad when not very old, despite being garaged and not scratches or accidents. All had issues with rear hatch latch, except my 2012 had none yet. 3 had issues with check engine light like above. I like the car, but it is a matter of luck whether you get one worth keeping for the long term to get money's worth. They look nice and run good when new, but after warranty is gone, plan on spending to keep it for the long haul. I do like the AWD and ground clearance and the 2015, like others in the past have nice new features, but if you look around enough long enough they can seem to be a step behind and it is a matter of luck on quality. I have had better luck with Honda and worse with Ford. I always buy the Subaru limited with all the nice options, but would be more content if they were built to last longer without expensive time consuming issues."

Excellent condition, great car

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, easy to drive, great for carrying stuff"

Cons: "No BLUE, no keyless entry"

"Bought this car several years ago with less than 30k miles on it and have used it to travel to work around LA as well as several road trips. A great vehicle, always reliable, never any trouble. Aside from normal maintenance, it has new battery, newish tires, and some recent body work to clean up some scratches and minor dings. I would pass it on to a friend or family member, but everyone I know has new cars. I need something small and light for me, as I'm getting older and don't want to drive a wagon anymore. Call me if you need a safe and reliable vehicle to schlep kids or stuff around."

good car, finicky details, great in snow

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "great snow car, good looker, better gas mpg"

Cons: "upkeep...period"

"if you don't mind tinckering with a car and messing around with mechanical issues, this is a better car than most, but having had higher than expected mechanical issues one being head gaskets repaired 2x in 30k, i just am tired of the car and it must go. I have had other Honda/Toyota/nissan with similar milage and they never had the upkeep this subby did."

Great design

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

"Have had no major problems with car."

Good in snow!

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

"Bought this car new. Have kept up on the maintenance pretty well. Has had some issues, needed a head gasket replacement twice. Has rust behind both rear wheel wells, and I notice other wagons like mine do also. Always expensive to get something fixed on it as it has a complicated electrical system. It is real good in bad snowy weather though. Still has the original exhaust system after all this time too! I wouldn't buy another Subaru though."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun and economical to drive."

Cons: "Front and rear bumpers are difficult to keep paint"

"I love this car! Even with 105,000 miles I've had no major issues. I wish it had a little more cargo space. And the front and rear bumpers are difficult to keep paint on. Those are my only complaints. Gets great gas mileage. Still looks stylish after 12 years. Great on winter ice and snow."

A great car for all seasons, especially winter

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Safe, reliable, good handling, affordable"

Cons: "Only 20-22 mpg; ok ride in the back seat"

"Love love this car! Great for winter driving, especially with snow tires; safe, reliable, good handling, affordable, easy to drive and park and maintain. Great versatility with back seats that lie flat for carrying large items. Had a great engine that our dealer KILLED by not putting the "t valve properly" and then not admitting or covering their error. Put in a second engine - working great except needed head gasket job (1st engine hadn't). Need to clean out wheel wells to avoid rust. Had to body work on one back "dog leg." Would love a Subaru solution to great (not just good) radio reception and blocking interference, but then that's a frustration with all cars."

Nice vehicle

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, lots of cargo room"

Cons: "Could run with regular, but ran best with premium."

"This was a fun vehicle to drive. As it got older it needed some repairs, but this is common with all vehicles. I liked the H6.0 engines pep, my only knock on it was it ran best on premium which adds up over a years time. The engine compartment was also quite crowded which made it difficult to change the spark plugs."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Carries all my stuff, always sticks to the road"

Cons: "Slow to accelerate."

"I love this car. I'm very upset a kid on a cell phone just smashed into the back of mine, totaling it in the eyes of the insurance co. I was fine. Not a bump, scrape or ache. I'm already looking for a new one. Haven't even considered considering another vehicle."

could use a little more power

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "sturdy car, responsive handling, comfortable ride"

Cons: "could use more oomph"

"very responsive and stable on the road with easy handling even when driving at high speed with a very smooth and comfortable ride but could use a little more power and a little better gas mileage. also tends to have high road and wind noise in certain situations. I bought it as a 5 year old second hand car with 21,000 miles on it and had several costly repairs over the years including having to replace a leaking head gasket at around 90,000 miles but overall though has been very reliable and predictable to own and operate. I have owned 3 Subaru cars in the past 22 years and in general was very satisfied except for 1 pre owned 30th edition year 2,000 model legacy sedan that turned out to be a serious lemon and gave me nothing but trouble the whole time until it suddenly blew an engine one day while driving it on a busy street."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals