2001 Subaru Outback

8.3

Based on 634 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

2001 Outback LL Bean, it's a Winner!

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "LL Bean with the 3.0 L engine is a great car!"

Cons: "Only 1 real cup holder, otherwise no complaints"

"I wrote a review for a 1997 Outback as well, and I also own a 2001 Outback LL Bean. I like this 2001 even more than my 1997. I bought the 2001 in 2007 for $10K with 100K miles. My wife has since put 55K miles on it for a total of 155K miles. The car has had only minor problems, and thanks to it having the 3.0 liter engine, no headgasket failure (phew), and no need to replace the timing belt because it is instead equipped with a timing chain which is far more robust. I recently replaced the brake pads and rotors because the front rotors tend to warp, which causes vibration in the steering wheel while braking. I have replaced a couple of tensioner pulleys on the front of the engine that are driven by the serpentine belt, plus the fuel filter and spark plugs and O2 sensors (on the exhaust pipe)...All very easy to work on once a few of the other accessories have been removed/moved. Next I plan to replace the power steering pump because the bearing has developed a whine, especially while the engine is cold. I really like being able to work on this car myself. I recently bought a 2002 Outback LL Bean for myself and will pass my 1997 Outback down to my kids. I bought the 2002 Outback because I love our 2001 Outback LL Bean so much. After I drive the 2002 for awhile, I will add a review, but I am optimistic the 2002 will be every bit as good as the 2001 :)"

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Bought this well cared for 01 wagon used w/ 42K miles. Owned it for six years now and it just turned 92K Miles. Still has lots of life and has been very reliable and inexpensive to run. Other than basic scheduled maintenance repairs have been minor eg. torn rubber steering boot & axle boot, wind shield washer pump. Private shop labor rates are quite reasonable, unlike those for my previous VW (might as well own a Porsche). For half it's life this Subie has lived in San Francisco and dealt w/ it's hills (clutch still orig) and now lives in the Sierra where it also like the mtns & snow. The AWD system is second to none, in fact half my neighbors own Subies, testimony to the AWD system. I've driven this car all over CA both urban and rural, often loaded w/ gear, in all climates and it has never let me down. I'm 6'-3" and there's plenty of leg and headroom. Wind noise can be an issue but thats 'cos of the bike rack. Styling is a bit dated but hey, the car's almost a decade old. I'll keep it for a long time to come and most likely buy another 3 yr old Subie as replacement."

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I love this car. Drive over mountain lots and it always gets me through the snow. Before I bought this car lots of adds said replaced head gasket, water pump and timing belt. Took it to my mechanic and He said if someone or a dealership is trying to tell you that these have never been changed then if the car is over 100,000 miles you will soon need them replaced. He said that is just the way they were built. Mine had been replaced with the cost of the car so I have no worries. Glad it was done so now I dont have to worry about those things going out. Please check that out before you buy one."

Good car so far

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"We have had very little problems with our subaru. Here in Seattle, this is the official car of the lower yuppie class. There are 8 on our block. We have never had any reliability issues. When it was new I did however find a few things wrong with it like the seat cushion was unstitching, and one taillight was holding water. The dealer fixed these issues right away without question. We like the space, 4WD, handling, and low road noise. The only detractors are a cheap plastic interior, poor acceleration, and not the best gas mileage for such poor pep...(20mpg avg). I had an old 1985 subie wagon with a pathetic 96hp 4cyl that got 34mpg. I wish they would target a 30mpg car with moderate performance."

A great car for all seasons, especially winter

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Safe, reliable, good handling, affordable"

Cons: "Only 20-22 mpg; ok ride in the back seat"

"Love love this car! Great for winter driving, especially with snow tires; safe, reliable, good handling, affordable, easy to drive and park and maintain. Great versatility with back seats that lie flat for carrying large items. Had a great engine that our dealer KILLED by not putting the "t valve properly" and then not admitting or covering their error. Put in a second engine - working great except needed head gasket job (1st engine hadn't). Need to clean out wheel wells to avoid rust. Had to body work on one back "dog leg." Would love a Subaru solution to great (not just good) radio reception and blocking interference, but then that's a frustration with all cars."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals