2015 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,569 - $21,714.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/8.5

8.3

Based on 38 Ratings for the 2015 - 2016 models.

OK but I don't love it

By on Friday, January 29, 2016

Pros: "AWD, outward visibility, practicality"

Cons: "cold driveability, throttle lag, driving comfort"

"My car is a 2016 3.6R Limited. Some have criticized the styling but I think the car is mostly handsome on the outside. The area around the front fog lights is overwrought, and the rear is nondescript. I am delighted to trade off some zoomy styling for the outward visibility, which is quite good for a modern car - though it is poor compared with cars of 15+ years ago. I think the look will wear well over time. The interior is functional and workmanlike, but not elegant. It is roomy. The back seat is especially impressive. The trunk is great - although not high, the space is pretty squared off and you can use all of it because the hinges do not intrude. Controls are fine - nothing innovative, no face-palms. Most of the switches feel sturdy and operate smoothly. The A/C temperature knobs are an exception; they are flimsy. (But at least they are knobs.) I like the way the stereo sounds - to my older ears it has a balanced, natural tonal quality. However the center speaker is driven too loud, giving little impression of separation or sound stage, and it's not adjustable. The FM tuner clearly receives stations that my old car didn't know existed. The volume and tuning knobs are very small and have a lag when operating them. The volume knob is completely ignored when the transmission is in reverse. The steering wheel controls are too small and fiddly - given the space available, 4 separate buttons would work better than the 4-direction rocker. The voice command system was something that I played with for a couple of weeks and haven't used since except for handsfree phone - much more trouble than it is worth for every other function. The functionality is limited and even the limited commands available are not recognized more often than they work. I find the driver's seat less successful as it becomes uncomfortable for me after 2 hours or so. Also the steering wheel is a problem - why do all cars now have 3-spoke designs instead of the 4-spoke style with holes at 9 and 3 so that you could wrap your fingers around the rim? My fingers tire rapidly when I try to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 because of the thick spokes. My biggest problem is with the drivetrain. The H6 is creamy, impressively smooth at idle or under way. However, starting off from a stop, there is a brief lag and then the transmission grabs and lurches you forward. You can start quickly or smoothly, but not both. The lag issue also makes it hard to apply power at the right time coming out of a corner. Also, after a cold start there is an odd behavior where you brake the car to a stop, then a second later the idle speed revs up sharply, causing the car to lurch forward or backward. Rather nasty, though it only does this for a few minutes after a cold start. Fuel economy is disappointing - I knew the H6 didn't return great fuel economy and I thought my expectations were reasonable, but I am getting barely 18 mpg day-to-day. Admittedly my driving is mostly short city trips. I have taken the Legacy on only 2 long highway trips so far and have seen 26 to 29 mpg. (I'm not a real fast driver, always under 75 mph.) Adaptive cruise control works surprisingly well, but it only sees what is in the lane ahead of you - it gets fooled by traffic exiting onto a ramp, or changing lanes close in front of you. It is no excuse to allow your attention to wander. It is nice to be able to move your feet around but I'm not brave enough to do that in traffic while trusting Eyesight, so in practice it doesn't offer much over conventional cruise control. Minor gripes: no retained accessory power, slow warmup of the seat heaters, overly sharp cutoff pattern of the headlights (though they spread a commendable wash of light), high beam indicator too bright, the silly plastic tunnels around the speedo and tach, unnecessary time delay actuating the trunk release, heated steering wheel not offered. I have read complaints of wind noise at highway speed - I don't notice that but I do find the level of road noise to be objectionable. Basically, I wish I had instead spent 1/4 of the money and fixed up my old car. Too late now."

Good but not great

By on Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pros: "Power, AWD, Interior & Storage Space, Styling"

Cons: "Handling, Stopping power, and CVT"

"After driving the vehicle for sometime now, I have some thoughts to share if you're considering purchasing one. Overall, I like the car. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to drive through a pretty bad winter season. For it's size and power it was amazingly confident in the snow. From start to stop, the vehicle did not slip and did not make me feel like it was going to do something unpredictable. For daily driving, I've found that the car soaks up potholes fairly well (I do try to avoid them) and it is comfortable enough on long trips. There is a lot wind noise. I'm not sure if it is only to my car, but I do have problems with smooth acceleration from complete stops, and there is a lag in gear shifts (from R to D) before there is response from the car. I don't like the virtual gear shifts, and it's occurrence during normal driving only highlights how unnecessary the feature is on a vehicle equipped with a CVT. Braking and cornering isn't especially confidence inspiring either. My legacy leans quite a bit in corners, and take considerable pedal effort to bring the vehicle to a halt (from 50 mph). However, the trunk is spacious as is the cabin. It makes good power, and gets very reasonable fuel economy for an AWD vehicle. The cabin is solid and the pieces fit together well. I like the overall styling of the vehicle, it is very mature, handsome, and will age will over time. The engine bay (on the 4cyl model) is very roomy, and the oil filter is located right at the top of the engine. It makes it very convenient for future service needs."

Excellent AWD excellent value

By on Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pros: "Ride, handling, fuel, AWD, seats, viz, quiet"

Cons: "Power, somewhat bland styling,"

"Our Legacy is still quite new so there's no reliability issues to report. The new Legacy is available in Canada with a very nice six speed manual, which contrary to EPA estimates, gives outstanding fuel economy and is more fun to drive, especially here in the mountains where the modest power of the Legacy might otherwise be an issue. The car is exceedingly quiet and the power drivers seat is the best we've owned for comfort. The suspension soaks up road imperfections beautifully. The brakes are powerful. The sight lines are excellent and makes the car easy to drive and feel smaller than it is. The hinges don't impede the trunks luggage space. The back seat is large and unlike the Accord, is a 60/40 split design. Subaru AWD is100% full time and is an excellent safety consideration. To own it for less that US$22,000 in a car as nice as this, is superb value. Things I might change: The outside temperature gauge and the clock for some reason are very small. I like that you have the option to have digital speedometer read out, as I don't find the gauges that easy to read. The black interior shows dirt too easily. The car could use 10-20 more HP. I'd like to see the option of better standard tires from the dealer at a reasonable price. Not certain if I'm a fan of the electric parking brake, but it does save room on the centre console. Not a fan of the CVT even though Subaru's is well regarded generally. It gives the driver a strange disconnected feeling IMO."

First Subaru

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Great value for money, All wheel drive"

Cons: "Didn't have push button start - no biggie"

"Haven't driven it much (just bought it yesterday) but did a lot of research. It appeared to me to be the best value for money and most critical was it's safety rating being the highest. I got the Eyesight system (pretty cool - pre-collision braking, lane departure, adaptive cruise control) + Navigation (pretty neat - messages are also displayed near the speedometer so you don't have to look away) + Rear cross traffic and blindspot monitoring. Do your research (build a car to your specifications on the subaru website to understand what your options are) and test-drive it. Consumer reports just released their review and it's rated very high. For pricing, ask for internet prices from various dealers."

Traded an Accord for a Legacy?.... YES!!!

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

Pros: "Upgrades, AWD, CVT as good or better than Honda"

Cons: "No grab handle to shut trunk lid"

"After 20 yr's owning multiple Jeep's, the fuel cost of owning finally drove us away from the brand. The women in my family feel AWD is a must, in '10 (gas $4gal) I relunctantly helped my daughter (100 mile daily commute) buy a new Subaru Legacy 2.5i because of the 28 mpg. To our amazement she has averaged 33mpg. The car has been trouble free (180,000 miles, 2 sets/tires & 1 Brake job). My wife was so impressed that we purchased a '12 Legacy for her (48K Trouble free miles).After enduring a snowy winter in a '13 Accord, I decided I needed AWD again. Seeing and test driving the re-designed '15 Legacy, I quickly decided to trade my Accord. WOW!!!!!, CVT as good or better than the Honda, 33mpg,Upgraded interior and infotainment. It was a NO BRAINER to buy another Legacy.Upgraded to a "Loaded" Limited 2.5 for under $28,500. If you are thinking of buying a car in this catagory (ie; Accord, Camry etc.) do yourself a favor and at least test drive the new '15 Legacy. You won't be disappointed!"