2008 Subaru Legacy

Based on 267 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Powerful Sleeper Station Wagon

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Power,Stealth,HaulingStorage,Comfort,SportsWagon"

Cons: "No Aux or USB port, premium gas only"

"Turbo Power (250+hp) 4 cyl with V6 Power, Comfort, Huge Sunroof, Quality Leather w/Dual Power & Heated Seats, Dual Climate Control, AWD (All Wheel Drive) goes into and out of ANY environment. 5 speed Manual (this model year only.) Will hold 34 bags of mulch and a house front door with the back latched. The vehicle has no clue it is a Station Wagon....it thinks it's a Sports Car"

Fun to Drive for low HP car

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great suspension and handling, awd"

Cons: "small backseats, low HP, MPG average aren't great"

"I picked up a 2008 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition (Black)used about 3 weeks ago for a decent price around 12,500. The car's handling, suspension, and cornering ability are excellent. I test drove a 2014 Mazda 3 which had a ton of accolades and rewards for being fun to drive, and I can honestly say this car used was just as enjoyable. You can't expect the best MPG for an AWD car, but I'm averaging about 23 MPG (I do a mix of high way and city driving) which is about average for and AWD car. The horsepower won't blow you away, but it's adequate enough to pass people on the highway. The car is really smooth at even higher speeds (80mph+) and you won't feel the car shake or rumble. The cars body style is sporty. I love the 06-09 body styles, they stand out on the road and there aren't very many of them. The back seats are a little small, so if you plan on carrying bigger passengers around you may want to look elsewhere. The standard car speakers are crisp sounding even more crisp when I replaced the standard head unit with a new pioneer bluetooth compatible one. There are plenty of nice little storage compartments for items like sunglasses or your wallet, etc. To conclude, if you're looking for an older sportier sedan, and don't want to be one of the hundreds of thousands driving an accord or camry, this is definitely a very enjoyable ride."

piece of junk

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "none"

Cons: "very uncomfortable"

"bad head gasket,uses oil ,makes rattling noise"

Great driving car; fast and fun; very comfortable

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "a lot of car for the money; very reliable"

Cons: "a bit too noisy on the highway"

"A bit noisy on the highway."

Best of both worlds. Sporty family sedan.

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

"This vehicle is great racing from the stop light or the All Wheel Drive is great commuting to work at 3 AM before the snow plows are out (winter in Wisconsin)."

Well rounded machine

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"PROS: The handling, steering, suspension, control, and AWD in this vehicle are phenomenal. The car responds like a sports car while on dry pavement and recovers like a rally car when driving on slippery surfaces. It absolutely dominates in the snow as the AWD truely is AWD and not computer reactive like systems found with other car manufacturers. In fact, the car does not have a computer that regulates driving in any way so you're free to drive as you wish and have fun without the brakes automatically engaging or stuff like that. Maintenece has been minimal (bought it with 9,000 miles and currently has 70,000 miles and in that time only oil changes + brakes have been needed) and the car shows no signs of deviating from that trend). The trunk is large, the driver's seat is comfortable, and even though I have the base model the car still has a sun room and auxiliary audio inlet. CONS: I wouldn't want to have to sit in the back seat. The AWD comes with a trade off and that is fuel economy; it's a 5 speed manual with a 4 cylinder engine yet gets only 26 mpg BEST on the highways. A 2 wheel drive car with those same traits would get 30+ mpg. Also, in deep, sticky snow the snow will accumulate in the wheel wells (small clearance between body and tires) and you'll have to clear it out regularly to prevent the car from shaking and having reduced handling). The interior quality overall feels a little cheap, but then again if that's something you value then this isn't the car for you."

fantastic car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more pwer but it gets up and goes"

"ive has my 2006 legacy since it was bran new 8 years now I have 98000miles on it and I just know I have another 100k out of her. this car runs amazing good gas milage and very safe and reliable"

Fun to drive

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

"Great on and off the road, weather conditions don't matter. You can do some serious G's around curves/corners."

Great College Car

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power from the turbo engine."

Cons: "Must use premium fuel"

"Purchased my 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with 103,000 miles. Did purchase extended warranty from CarMax,which covers up to 3 years and up to 150,000 miles. I took the car to my mechanic to have the timing belt / water pump changed as well as new spark plugs. I knew this would be needed when I purchased the car, so was not upset about that maintenance expense. Mechanic found some other issues, including leaking radiator, leaking power steering pump and a couple of other items. The CarMax extended warranty covered all, so now have everything operating properly. Car drives great, huge sunroof, loads of power with the turbo, stops great, beautiful leather interior. Radio does not have a plug for ipod, but purchased a wireless adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and operates as a bluetooth. It connects to the radio / iphone and works through the radio for phone calls, as well as you can stream your music or pandora to the radio. Brings it up to 2014 standards! Car for my college daughter, so glad it has all wheel drive, plenty of power, lots of cargo space and still has a tight body, no rattles! I recommend a Subaru for its all wheel drive, good driving dynamics and safety."

Do not buy!!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Great stereo"

Cons: "Engine sucks, and the transmission sluggish"

"79k and I need a head gasket job at $1800.00 Don't let anyone tell you Subaru fixed the head gasket issue from 2005 onward. It is a lie. A dealership admitted my issue is "pretty common." I expect such ridiculousness from a 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru Legacy Limited. I have had 2 Nissans that went over 250k without anything but regular maintenance, and a 1992 Camry that did just about everything better than this Subaru...and the Subaru is only impressive in winter if you run studded snows, otherwise my Camry with 4 studded snows was nearly as good. STAY AWAY FROM SUBARU...unless you like giving mechanics $2000.00. Other posts reveal engines seizing, etc. JUNK!!!"

Amazing daily, in any season!

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "Quick, fun, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel mileage, no aux input"

"I've had this car for a little over a year now and nothing major for reliability issues. I had replaced the turbo at 90,000 because it is considered a regular wear and tear item and was recommended at the mileage it was at. Plenty of get up and go, and overall a very fun car to drive. The comfort is great, the suspension isn't too stiff, but still handles amazingly after 96,000 miles in every season. Just hugs the road in snowy conditions as well! Awesome sport sedan!"

Not as good in snow as I would like ,poor gas mile

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Poor radio reception poor ride"

"Poor radio dealer would not fix battery to small for car hard to start in cold had to replace brakes hard had to be cut this is my first and last Subaru"

Bought used heavy mileage 2006 legacy gt

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "Leather, Turbo, Moonroof all must haves.."

Cons: "very very high maintenance."

"190,000 is a lot of miles for any car. I've only driven it 10k in the last year. Maintenance items include new turbo,valve cover gaskets, and now tracing down a possible head gasket. When this car is running, it is BRILLIANT! Highly recommend it for spirited driving, handling and economy. The best part is how it blends into to traffic, because it looks like almost every other car from Ford, Toyota Honda. I can afford to buy any car, this one keeps on getting fixed. For my household it is intended as a winter driver, since we both have sports cars, and high end luxury cars, and a 4X4 truck So the Legacy GT is meant to sacrifice in the salt, sand and urban environs. K"

amazing car

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "fast, fun to drive, reliable, utility, and awd"

Cons: "no sun roof, no factory AUX input"

"great car. have few mods done (ap, uppipe, dp, cbe, modded vb,intake, ic, and rear sway bar) and have not had any issues with the car. car looks great and the 5eat trans is reliable. car is stable in the snow. this car corners good but needs to be a little stiffer in my opinion. interior is good but have been in better, still its good for a 2005."

Fun car but...

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun, fast, comfortable with decent MPG"

Cons: "Erratic engine behavior and expensive maintenance"

Great car when it runs great...

"I bought the car brand new in 03/05. Fun car to drive and to drive hard when it is running good. Tires appear to make a huge difference in handling characteristics, too big of a difference in my opinion. Had to replace a bearing in transmission at 62,000 (warranty ran out at 60,000). Car has never liked city speeds or cold and/or damp weather - car chugs (feels like gas is on and off...), very irritating and two dealers could not find a problem. The car has been having erratic idling/running issues since turning 100,000 and throws codes non-stop during these spells. Again, dealer can find nothing wrong but did suggest the cam shaft pulley/filter needed to be changed. Seriously. Bottom line, I would rather of kept the 10 year old car I had and the $32,000 I paid for this, my first new car."

Great car when it runs great...

Decent styling, but horrible engine issues.

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "AWD, handling, speaker quality, styling"

Cons: "horrible engine issues, not to great on gas"

"I bought this car used with 59,000 miles on it. About a year after owning it, the engine simply ran out of oil and failed with no warning lights or check engine lights showing there was a problem. I got the engine replaced, costing around $5000 because I did really enjoy the way the car handled ect. Within a year after getting the engine replaced the same problem happened again, forcing me to sell the car and get so little for what I had invested in it. I did keep up with all service and maintenance on the car, every 3000 miles getting oil changed and such, but this car turned out to be a disaster. I will never buy another subaru."

Hidden gem

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Reason: was worried about accumulating miles so gave it to my son and got a 2009

Pros: "see text"

Cons: "see text"

"Subaru's 2.5GT LTD wagon was the sleeper car of its time. Pro's include Subaru 4WD, sports car features like great power, nice stick, solid feeling clutch, very lively handling yet quiet, unassuming, attractive demeanor with a nice sunroof and the practicality of a small wagon. It is a small car equivalent in size to 2013 Impreza but was nicely appointed in leather leading to an intimate feel that one does not get with larger vehicles. It was a poor man's nice Audi with the advantage of Subaru 4WD. Cons were limited to mediocre (for its size) gas mileage (22 hwy, 18 city) and somewhat quirky defrost which seemed to blow hot air no matter what the temperature setting. The sound system was good but not great and did not offer jacks or other options to connect devices that came on the market later. It begged for a 6-speed manual rather than the 5-speed. It needed a head rebuilt because of #2 exhaust valve recession around 120K. This is apparently a known problem with the Subaru turbo. Other than that reliability was rock solid. Original brakes lasted 100K (mostly hwy driving). My son still has it at 161K and it is running strong with the original clutch (which he learned on). In 2011 I replaced it with a lightly used 2009 Legacy 2.5GT LTD 5-speed sedan which offers better gas mileage and is nice but is softer in general and was no longer available as a wagon. I did not get a new Legacy 2.5GT because the 2010-on models were enlarged to Accord/Camry size and the intimate feel was lost."

Love this Car

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

"This was my first Subaru and I am convinced that I will never buy another brand of car again. We have had the car for 4 years and have only made 2 repairs for electronic problems. It handles great in the snow and is very comfortable."

Love my Subaru Legacy

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

"Love this car. It drives beautiful and has a great interior. Fast and sporty, yet great for me and my daughter every day."

great car

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "reliable, safe, nice ride"

Cons: "seats could be more comfortable"

"I love my Subaru. I have traveled across the country from NY to California, Cali back to NY, and back and forth to AZ and NV. It has taken me through the extreme heat of the Mohave Desert to the subzero, snowy weather of NY without missing a beat. My car has been reliable and I have always felt safe. In NY I have driven through all kinds of weather and the car drives as good as a truck. I highly recommend this vehicle."

Best one I had for long term

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

"Picture was taken 3 weeks ago.I got this car when I moved to MA in late 2005. I got it because its an AWD vehicle and most of all because my uncle had a subaru back in late 80's and he used it as a family car and a truck and anything you can imagine. It was around 180K when the water pump threads went and he used C- clamps to keep it in place and had a trunk full of 2 liter bottles with water just to get to work and back. That car ran this way overheating for thousands of miles. He sold it in that condition for $700 less that he got it for. OK OK enough about his car and lets talk about mine. I got mine in 2005 with 17K miles and as of today it has 171K TROUBLE FREE MILES. I know its not the fastest because its only a 2.5L non turbo but it keeps up with most of the cars out there. If you run your tires a little more aired up you get way better MPG. I took my spare tire out and keep my tires at 37psi front and 36psi rear and getting 33mpg highway on 93octane. I also use Rotella T6 synthetic oil. I know its made for diesels but since I work in oil industry I can tell you that its same high end synthetic like mobil 1 but even better because it has a lot more antiwear agents and better cleaning agents. As a matter of fact, most subaru, bmw, porsche, audi, mercedes and volvo racers with cars that produce over 500bhp use this oil. Anyway, I love my subaru and with 171K it still has near factory compression and runs like a champ. You wont regret it."

Keeps on going

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "reliability, AWD, and fuel milage."

Cons: "seats designed for smaller people."

"Over 100k miles, and still gets 32 mpg at 75 mph. Just drove 3100 miles in 4 days and averaged about 32 mpg, with a typical speed of 75. Manual transmission is not as smooth as an automatic, but is needed for towing behind a Motor home. AWD for snow country. There are bigger more comfortable cars but not with 32 mpg and AWD."

Great all around value

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Extremely reliable and peppy"

"I like my Subaru's. All have been very reliable. The 2005 GT is snappy, handles well (it's no Porche/Ferrari), seats 5 (2 adults, 3 kids), decent MPG (22-23MPG overall - I did get 28+ on a long trip), great in the snow & rain. It's missing some of the nice-to-haves; like an MP3 player input. I use the cup holder in the front for some storage, but it would be nice to have additional spots to put a couple of drinks."

SAFE & RELIABLE with Decent Fuel Mileage

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "AWD Capabilities, Decent Fuel mileage ( 25 mpg. )"

Cons: "Limited Exterior colors with Interior colors"

"I purchased this vehicle Brand New and I currently have only 51K miles on it. I am 6 feet 7 inches tall and I have plenty of Leg room. I have driven this vehicle to many a ski trips in the mountains and I have NOT had a single issue with traction control (snow & ice) on the Highways or the Back roads. The AWD capabilities of this vehicle is simply OUTSTANDING; A TRUE STALWART. Within the Six years of Owning and Driving this vehicle (2007 Subaru Legacy) I have only had to buy 4 new tires, brakes and basic yearly maintenance. Should you be looking for a vehicle with AWD & Decent Fuel mileage (average 25 mpg.) and be Trustworthy within All Types of weather you should Truly look at purchasing this vehicle."

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and looks very sporty."

Cons: "Not good if your over 6ft tall."

"This is my first Subaru, and I love it. Goes fantastic in the snow, has not left me stranded and is so very cute. Would highly recommend this car."

See if you qualify for