2007 Subaru Legacy

Based on 286 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Excellent Value

By on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

"For an AWD sport sedan, the Legacy GT Spec.B cannot be beat. The closest competitors based on features and performance are the Audi A4 2.0T and the BMW 330xi. After loading these cars up with packages like heated seats, navigation, sports package, etc. you'll find a considerable price difference between these cars and the Legacy. Both cars would run for $40k to $45k with the same options as the Legacy. The Legacy would then still outperform these cars, although marginally, while sporting a superior AWD system and a 5 star safety rating. The drivetrain and powertrain in the Legacy are veterain systems that are well understood by Subaru from both the Impreza platform and from their rally car heritage (the 6-speed manual transmission is a derivative of that used in Subaru's rally cars). With that in mind you can expect virtually no major problems with these systems as the miles pile on. Many people tend to also compare the Spec.B to the standard Legacy GT which can run several thousand dollars cheaper. Here are a few of the reasons to choose (or not to choose) the Spec.B over the standard Legacy 2.5GT: GPS Navigation included in base price 6-speed manual transmission 18-in. alloy wheels Max. Performance Summer Tires (RE050a) Alluminum suspension components to shed weight Bilstein shocks Full leather with Alcantara inserts Some other small features for the Legacy in general: Dual climate control Heated side mirros and windshield wipers for those icy mornings Turn signals on side mirrors for added safety Dual fold down rear seats Built-in child safety seat belt system F/R side airbags All in all, the Legacy sports many features that may be overlooked by some consumers upon a first look. It may seem overpriced by some of its Japanese car maker counterparts but I feel that Subaru's quality is superior. It may also seem that Subaru could't possible make a car that could rival the renowned automakers Audi and BMW, but I would beg to differ. Now for the real world aspects: I drive with my foot to the floor (not literally, but I drive quite agressively) and I get 20mpg combined hwy city with mostly city driving. I recently drove accross Texas while cruising at 90mph (according to the speedometer) and achieved a fuel economy of about 24 mpg. The most common repair is a wheel bearing replacement and the occassional turbo replacement but this is generally caused by lack of maintenance on the owners part (not receiving frequent enough oil changes). The car generally exhibits slight understeer under hard cornering unless the driver applies hard throttle in which oversteer can be induced, but this can generally only occur in 1st gear -- obviously this will depend on road conditions. The car usually has moderate body roll considering its otherwise sporty nature. It is known to "squat" and "dive" under hard acceleration and decceleration, respectively. This should be expected, however, given the output of the turbocharged engine. The car has decent pickup between 2k and 3k rpm but the turbo doesn't build boost until around 3k rpm which when the torque builds rapidly. Overall, it has a number of great features and is an addictively fun car for a 4 door sedan."

Great Car..Issues with Head Gasket

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pros: "Great excelleration for 4cyl. Great in snow."

Cons: "Anti lock brakes in snow are terrible. Drives well in snow but doesnt stop well"

"Bought car used with 16000 miles and drove for work. 66000 miles in 2.5 years. Overall happy with performance. No major problems until I completed 80000 mile warranty. 81000 miles the head gasket went bad. Was told they corrected the problem in 2004-2005. Not so sure. Subaru was nice enough to fix for me for free. Still an unnecessary headache. Still overall happy with excelleration and quality. Would buy another subaru....."

Love this car....

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pros: "Everything is a pro....great car and fun to drive."

Cons: "More upfront room but not bad."

"Bought this 2009 Legacy with 8000 miles (at a great price). I am used to SUV's but with gas the way it is I downsized and I am so happy I did. The car is great in rain (can't wait for snow). Great features and fast!!!Total sleeper... I love letting people think that they have the edge and then just blow them away. Most fun car I ever had (next to my old jeep). Would buy another right now if I had the cash."

Outstanding car

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I had this car for 2 years I have put 53000 mile on it not 1 problem not even a single light bulb. I use Mobil 1 and change every 8000 miles and average 29 MPG I will get 32 MPG straight highway at 65-70 outstanding in the snow even with stock tires if fact I still have the original factory tires on it the will go at least another 20-25K We just had our # 4 kid so I will be looking to get somthing a little bigger sad to see it go ..I hope this helps and good luck"

My favorite car to date

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "Excellent handling, reliable"

Cons: "A bit cramped interior for taller people"

"This car has been the best car I have owned in the past 30 years (and there have been a number of them). The car's handling in all weather conditions, comfort and style all won me over. Having put on over 190,000 miles on it so far, it still runs perfectly. The only issue I have had is, with this many miles things are just starting to wear out. Reluctantly I will be parting with it soon, but definitely getting a new Legacy."

Fun car but...

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun, fast, comfortable with decent MPG"

Cons: "Erratic engine behavior and expensive maintenance"

Great car when it runs great...

"I bought the car brand new in 03/05. Fun car to drive and to drive hard when it is running good. Tires appear to make a huge difference in handling characteristics, too big of a difference in my opinion. Had to replace a bearing in transmission at 62,000 (warranty ran out at 60,000). Car has never liked city speeds or cold and/or damp weather - car chugs (feels like gas is on and off...), very irritating and two dealers could not find a problem. The car has been having erratic idling/running issues since turning 100,000 and throws codes non-stop during these spells. Again, dealer can find nothing wrong but did suggest the cam shaft pulley/filter needed to be changed. Seriously. Bottom line, I would rather of kept the 10 year old car I had and the $32,000 I paid for this, my first new car."

Great car when it runs great...

Awesome vehicle to own and drive!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "Safe, Awesome Driving Dynamics, Fast"

Cons: "Not so good MPG, no AUX jack"

"My friend convinced me to purchase a Subaru, I ended up buy a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. I absolutely love this car, its performance and handling are very impressive and its fun to drive. I love the fact that when it rain, I don't have to worry about my wheels spinning or losing control thanks to the AWD system that Subaru designed. Its perfect for stormy Florida weather. I will be honest thought, there are some minor downsides to this car. First is MPG, it can get around 21 mpg, but because of the way it performs I always end up in the 19 mpg range (I can't keep my foot off the gas). You also MUST put in at least 91 octane because you could seriously damage the vehicle, otherwise you could end up with something called detonation which I probably don't need to explain. If you've never owned a Turbo vehicle, they aren't like regular cars. They do tend to behave differently depending on the outside weather, I personally love this since it gives the car a personality but most people won't like this. When its cold outside, the engine is very aggressive, and when its hot and humid the car feels slower. Its just something you have to live with and like I said, I don't mind. Overall the engine is very good and reliable as long as you stick with the recommended service intervals, as with all cars. I absolutely love this car, it looks good inside and out, has awesome feature, and Subaru has totally sold me on all of their cars."

For the money I paid a great value

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "should not need a timming belt after 105,000 miles"

"I have driven 138M miles on this car. My 2005 Legacy Subaru GT has seen some track time as I took some classes at Lyme Rock. It has been a wonderful experience. The car is very capable. Remember I paid $27,000 out the door. No, is it not a Porsche as I driven both vehicles. But, as an everyday car it is very reliable. It has guts and very good handling manners. I enjoy driving this car and have burned many challengers as they have always underestimated the potential of this Subaru. It could use better brakes(especially in track conditions) and if you get very serious a better suspension. But for most people it does not need a thing. I replaced the timming belt and clutch at 105,000. The engine has a good amount of torque so it is tough on the clutch especially in traffic conditions. With the correct tires the car is fantastic in the snow."

Great Performance and Value

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"2008 Suabru Legacy GT (2.5 L Turbo) Value This is a great vehicle for the price. It has comparable value to BMWs and Audis at nearly half the price. Bought through Costco and saved a few thousand dollars. Reliability No problems in the last 2 years. Only concern is the "mandatory recommended service" for warranty purposes. I think it is a dealer gouging. Older subarus have been known to have problems, but recent models have excellent reliability (allegedly). Quality Fit and finish of interior and exterior is very good. I removed some panels to install a sub woofer and was impressed with the lightweight, inexpensive components that look great when put together. Performance We test drove a 4 speed, it was sluggish and rev'd high at freeway speeds. Highly recommend the 5 speed with the turbo. I have hard accelerated out of the snow with little or no slipping. Boxer engine is low to ground and body roll is minimal. Suspension is stiff on bumpy roads but is an okay trade off for the handling performance. Fuel mileage is around 27 (around here the speed limit is 55 or less) but as low as 22 when I cruise around 80 in the big city. Great performance in the mountains. Enjoy the turbo control mode for fuel economy or performance. Styling Car is beautiful and looks like a million bucks. We got the "diamond gray metallic" paint that is rare. I also like the blue. Hood scoop, spoiler, and moon roof are nice options. Comfort I am 6'5" and fit okay. If I was smaller I may have got the WRX. For a big guy, If I get my knee in first I fit okay. My wife is 5'11" and she fits good. Seat is comfortable for long trips and holds body in place through turns. Back seat is small for a large adult, but who cares I am driving. Overall Highly recommended to those in snow country. This car is comfortable, stylish, and has great performance for the money. I recommend this car to a husband who wants a sports car and a wife who wants a sedan, it is an excellent compromise. I will likely buy this car again."

Subaru Makes An Excellent Vehicle

By on Friday, June 12, 2009

"We bought our 2.5I Wagon in 2005. This vehicle has been a pleasure to drive. The engine is strong and I LOVE the capability to switch to the sport shift mode for the extra power when I need it in high traffic situations. I gets about 25 MPG in the city. Not sure about HWY as it's been a while since we've taken any road trips. We haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance to the vehicle thus far. We do currently have a shake in the front end when braking from high speeds, but haven't got it in to check it out yet. The only complaint I would have is that the front end spoiler is so low, it is easy to ride up on curbs with it. Otherwise, we'll drive it until it dies as it is as reliable as a Toyota. This is our 2nd Subaru. The first one we bought with a salvage title and it ran great for 2 years with over 200k on it. That's why we bought this one. Would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone."