2007 Subaru Legacy

Based on 288 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Excellent Value

By on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

"For an AWD sport sedan, the Legacy GT Spec.B cannot be beat. The closest competitors based on features and performance are the Audi A4 2.0T and the BMW 330xi. After loading these cars up with packages like heated seats, navigation, sports package, etc. you'll find a considerable price difference between these cars and the Legacy. Both cars would run for $40k to $45k with the same options as the Legacy. The Legacy would then still outperform these cars, although marginally, while sporting a superior AWD system and a 5 star safety rating. The drivetrain and powertrain in the Legacy are veterain systems that are well understood by Subaru from both the Impreza platform and from their rally car heritage (the 6-speed manual transmission is a derivative of that used in Subaru's rally cars). With that in mind you can expect virtually no major problems with these systems as the miles pile on. Many people tend to also compare the Spec.B to the standard Legacy GT which can run several thousand dollars cheaper. Here are a few of the reasons to choose (or not to choose) the Spec.B over the standard Legacy 2.5GT: GPS Navigation included in base price 6-speed manual transmission 18-in. alloy wheels Max. Performance Summer Tires (RE050a) Alluminum suspension components to shed weight Bilstein shocks Full leather with Alcantara inserts Some other small features for the Legacy in general: Dual climate control Heated side mirros and windshield wipers for those icy mornings Turn signals on side mirrors for added safety Dual fold down rear seats Built-in child safety seat belt system F/R side airbags All in all, the Legacy sports many features that may be overlooked by some consumers upon a first look. It may seem overpriced by some of its Japanese car maker counterparts but I feel that Subaru's quality is superior. It may also seem that Subaru could't possible make a car that could rival the renowned automakers Audi and BMW, but I would beg to differ. Now for the real world aspects: I drive with my foot to the floor (not literally, but I drive quite agressively) and I get 20mpg combined hwy city with mostly city driving. I recently drove accross Texas while cruising at 90mph (according to the speedometer) and achieved a fuel economy of about 24 mpg. The most common repair is a wheel bearing replacement and the occassional turbo replacement but this is generally caused by lack of maintenance on the owners part (not receiving frequent enough oil changes). The car generally exhibits slight understeer under hard cornering unless the driver applies hard throttle in which oversteer can be induced, but this can generally only occur in 1st gear -- obviously this will depend on road conditions. The car usually has moderate body roll considering its otherwise sporty nature. It is known to "squat" and "dive" under hard acceleration and decceleration, respectively. This should be expected, however, given the output of the turbocharged engine. The car has decent pickup between 2k and 3k rpm but the turbo doesn't build boost until around 3k rpm which when the torque builds rapidly. Overall, it has a number of great features and is an addictively fun car for a 4 door sedan."

Great Car..Issues with Head Gasket

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pros: "Great excelleration for 4cyl. Great in snow."

Cons: "Anti lock brakes in snow are terrible. Drives well in snow but doesnt stop well"

"Bought car used with 16000 miles and drove for work. 66000 miles in 2.5 years. Overall happy with performance. No major problems until I completed 80000 mile warranty. 81000 miles the head gasket went bad. Was told they corrected the problem in 2004-2005. Not so sure. Subaru was nice enough to fix for me for free. Still an unnecessary headache. Still overall happy with excelleration and quality. Would buy another subaru....."

Love this car....

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pros: "Everything is a pro....great car and fun to drive."

Cons: "More upfront room but not bad."

"Bought this 2009 Legacy with 8000 miles (at a great price). I am used to SUV's but with gas the way it is I downsized and I am so happy I did. The car is great in rain (can't wait for snow). Great features and fast!!!Total sleeper... I love letting people think that they have the edge and then just blow them away. Most fun car I ever had (next to my old jeep). Would buy another right now if I had the cash."

Outstanding car

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I had this car for 2 years I have put 53000 mile on it not 1 problem not even a single light bulb. I use Mobil 1 and change every 8000 miles and average 29 MPG I will get 32 MPG straight highway at 65-70 outstanding in the snow even with stock tires if fact I still have the original factory tires on it the will go at least another 20-25K We just had our # 4 kid so I will be looking to get somthing a little bigger sad to see it go ..I hope this helps and good luck"

My favorite car to date

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "Excellent handling, reliable"

Cons: "A bit cramped interior for taller people"

"This car has been the best car I have owned in the past 30 years (and there have been a number of them). The car's handling in all weather conditions, comfort and style all won me over. Having put on over 190,000 miles on it so far, it still runs perfectly. The only issue I have had is, with this many miles things are just starting to wear out. Reluctantly I will be parting with it soon, but definitely getting a new Legacy."