2006 Subaru Legacy

Based on 288 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Great Car..Issues with Head Gasket

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pros: "Great excelleration for 4cyl. Great in snow."

Cons: "Anti lock brakes in snow are terrible. Drives well in snow but doesnt stop well"

"Bought car used with 16000 miles and drove for work. 66000 miles in 2.5 years. Overall happy with performance. No major problems until I completed 80000 mile warranty. 81000 miles the head gasket went bad. Was told they corrected the problem in 2004-2005. Not so sure. Subaru was nice enough to fix for me for free. Still an unnecessary headache. Still overall happy with excelleration and quality. Would buy another subaru....."

Fun car but...

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun, fast, comfortable with decent MPG"

Cons: "Erratic engine behavior and expensive maintenance"

Great car when it runs great...

"I bought the car brand new in 03/05. Fun car to drive and to drive hard when it is running good. Tires appear to make a huge difference in handling characteristics, too big of a difference in my opinion. Had to replace a bearing in transmission at 62,000 (warranty ran out at 60,000). Car has never liked city speeds or cold and/or damp weather - car chugs (feels like gas is on and off...), very irritating and two dealers could not find a problem. The car has been having erratic idling/running issues since turning 100,000 and throws codes non-stop during these spells. Again, dealer can find nothing wrong but did suggest the cam shaft pulley/filter needed to be changed. Seriously. Bottom line, I would rather of kept the 10 year old car I had and the $32,000 I paid for this, my first new car."

Great car when it runs great...

My favorite car to date

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "Excellent handling, reliable"

Cons: "A bit cramped interior for taller people"

"This car has been the best car I have owned in the past 30 years (and there have been a number of them). The car's handling in all weather conditions, comfort and style all won me over. Having put on over 190,000 miles on it so far, it still runs perfectly. The only issue I have had is, with this many miles things are just starting to wear out. Reluctantly I will be parting with it soon, but definitely getting a new Legacy."

Great Performance and Value

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"2008 Suabru Legacy GT (2.5 L Turbo) Value This is a great vehicle for the price. It has comparable value to BMWs and Audis at nearly half the price. Bought through Costco and saved a few thousand dollars. Reliability No problems in the last 2 years. Only concern is the "mandatory recommended service" for warranty purposes. I think it is a dealer gouging. Older subarus have been known to have problems, but recent models have excellent reliability (allegedly). Quality Fit and finish of interior and exterior is very good. I removed some panels to install a sub woofer and was impressed with the lightweight, inexpensive components that look great when put together. Performance We test drove a 4 speed, it was sluggish and rev'd high at freeway speeds. Highly recommend the 5 speed with the turbo. I have hard accelerated out of the snow with little or no slipping. Boxer engine is low to ground and body roll is minimal. Suspension is stiff on bumpy roads but is an okay trade off for the handling performance. Fuel mileage is around 27 (around here the speed limit is 55 or less) but as low as 22 when I cruise around 80 in the big city. Great performance in the mountains. Enjoy the turbo control mode for fuel economy or performance. Styling Car is beautiful and looks like a million bucks. We got the "diamond gray metallic" paint that is rare. I also like the blue. Hood scoop, spoiler, and moon roof are nice options. Comfort I am 6'5" and fit okay. If I was smaller I may have got the WRX. For a big guy, If I get my knee in first I fit okay. My wife is 5'11" and she fits good. Seat is comfortable for long trips and holds body in place through turns. Back seat is small for a large adult, but who cares I am driving. Overall Highly recommended to those in snow country. This car is comfortable, stylish, and has great performance for the money. I recommend this car to a husband who wants a sports car and a wife who wants a sedan, it is an excellent compromise. I will likely buy this car again."

Subaru Makes An Excellent Vehicle

By on Friday, June 12, 2009

"We bought our 2.5I Wagon in 2005. This vehicle has been a pleasure to drive. The engine is strong and I LOVE the capability to switch to the sport shift mode for the extra power when I need it in high traffic situations. I gets about 25 MPG in the city. Not sure about HWY as it's been a while since we've taken any road trips. We haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance to the vehicle thus far. We do currently have a shake in the front end when braking from high speeds, but haven't got it in to check it out yet. The only complaint I would have is that the front end spoiler is so low, it is easy to ride up on curbs with it. Otherwise, we'll drive it until it dies as it is as reliable as a Toyota. This is our 2nd Subaru. The first one we bought with a salvage title and it ran great for 2 years with over 200k on it. That's why we bought this one. Would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone."