2005 Subaru Legacy

Based on 296 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Great Car..Issues with Head Gasket

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pros: "Great excelleration for 4cyl. Great in snow."

Cons: "Anti lock brakes in snow are terrible. Drives well in snow but doesnt stop well"

"Bought car used with 16000 miles and drove for work. 66000 miles in 2.5 years. Overall happy with performance. No major problems until I completed 80000 mile warranty. 81000 miles the head gasket went bad. Was told they corrected the problem in 2004-2005. Not so sure. Subaru was nice enough to fix for me for free. Still an unnecessary headache. Still overall happy with excelleration and quality. Would buy another subaru....."

Great Performance and Value

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"2008 Suabru Legacy GT (2.5 L Turbo) Value This is a great vehicle for the price. It has comparable value to BMWs and Audis at nearly half the price. Bought through Costco and saved a few thousand dollars. Reliability No problems in the last 2 years. Only concern is the "mandatory recommended service" for warranty purposes. I think it is a dealer gouging. Older subarus have been known to have problems, but recent models have excellent reliability (allegedly). Quality Fit and finish of interior and exterior is very good. I removed some panels to install a sub woofer and was impressed with the lightweight, inexpensive components that look great when put together. Performance We test drove a 4 speed, it was sluggish and rev'd high at freeway speeds. Highly recommend the 5 speed with the turbo. I have hard accelerated out of the snow with little or no slipping. Boxer engine is low to ground and body roll is minimal. Suspension is stiff on bumpy roads but is an okay trade off for the handling performance. Fuel mileage is around 27 (around here the speed limit is 55 or less) but as low as 22 when I cruise around 80 in the big city. Great performance in the mountains. Enjoy the turbo control mode for fuel economy or performance. Styling Car is beautiful and looks like a million bucks. We got the "diamond gray metallic" paint that is rare. I also like the blue. Hood scoop, spoiler, and moon roof are nice options. Comfort I am 6'5" and fit okay. If I was smaller I may have got the WRX. For a big guy, If I get my knee in first I fit okay. My wife is 5'11" and she fits good. Seat is comfortable for long trips and holds body in place through turns. Back seat is small for a large adult, but who cares I am driving. Overall Highly recommended to those in snow country. This car is comfortable, stylish, and has great performance for the money. I recommend this car to a husband who wants a sports car and a wife who wants a sedan, it is an excellent compromise. I will likely buy this car again."

Fun car but...

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun, fast, comfortable with decent MPG"

Cons: "Erratic engine behavior and expensive maintenance"

Great car when it runs great...

"I bought the car brand new in 03/05. Fun car to drive and to drive hard when it is running good. Tires appear to make a huge difference in handling characteristics, too big of a difference in my opinion. Had to replace a bearing in transmission at 62,000 (warranty ran out at 60,000). Car has never liked city speeds or cold and/or damp weather - car chugs (feels like gas is on and off...), very irritating and two dealers could not find a problem. The car has been having erratic idling/running issues since turning 100,000 and throws codes non-stop during these spells. Again, dealer can find nothing wrong but did suggest the cam shaft pulley/filter needed to be changed. Seriously. Bottom line, I would rather of kept the 10 year old car I had and the $32,000 I paid for this, my first new car."

Great car when it runs great...

Fun and nice

By on Friday, February 8, 2008

"I bought this 2000 Legacy sedan in 2005 with 34k miles, now in early 2008 it has 82K. I will only drive an AWD, as I live in the snowy hiils of central NY. It is a beast in any weather. I previously owned a Subaru Forester, and the Legacy is so much nicer to drive. It handles like a dream. You don't have to slow down nearly as much to make turns. The seats and ride are comfy. It has been reliable, inexpensive to maintain, and starts up like a gun every time no matter how cold."

Hands Down - Legacy is the BEST

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"If you're looking for a sweet little ride that handles like a dream in snow, ice, and rain, look no further than a Subaru Legacy. Good fuel economy + all wheel drive = a dream come true."

Good Value for Money

By on Friday, April 11, 2008

"I bought this car new in 2002. The car preforms well in the snow, and is comfortable to drive. The only drawbacks are MPG, and the fact that it only came in 4 cylinder engine; a 6 cylinder engine would make the car preform even better."

Nice car

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"Nice car, AWD is good in bad weather. 2000-2003 some have headgasket problem. Seats uncomfortable for long distance travel."

Love this Car

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

"This was my first Subaru and I am convinced that I will never buy another brand of car again. We have had the car for 4 years and have only made 2 repairs for electronic problems. It handles great in the snow and is very comfortable."

Fast, Secure, Compitent, Allstar!!

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "realiable, compitent, safe, athletic, really fun"

Cons: "paint chips easily"

"I purchased the car with 40k last year. Wow this beauty is so much more then compitent. I love this body style so much more then the new one. I have the auto, which needs an extra gear. The trans can get alittle lost or vague sometimes too. Milage is good but not great but what you get from this car is soooo much more then just commuter joy! Seats are very good but could use larger side bolster for the twisties. Sound system is great. Build quality really high, great materials and feel, no rattles Car is glued to the ground in the snow. my buddy who has a new A4 2T is envious. Enough said"

fastest car I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pros: "When the turbo kicks in WOW"

Cons: "road and tire noise"

"I've owned acura RSX type S, Legend coupes, Subaru SVX, Volvo 850 turbo. This car is a better handling faster car than all those before. The worst quality in the car is the road noise, but the speed and the turbo make me smile all the time. 110,000 mi. and all good."

Comfortable ride.

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"Very difficult to use with child car seat in center of rear seat. Not enough room if the driver or front seat passenger need to slide the seat back. Performance tires are very expensive to replace. The ride is comfortable and the all wheel drive handles well in snow."

Blast to drive with plenty of room for family!

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"This has been a great car. It was the first year of this model and so it had a couple of issues but Subaru took care of everything. From a driving experience it's been fantastic. Great performance and goes pretty much anywhere in the snow with all season radials. The wagon form factor is a great compromise between needing more space than a sedan without having to go to an SUV. Can't think of anything about it I don't like."

2005-2009 Yes 2010 No

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "smiles per gallon, reliability."

Cons: "14 miles per gallon on premium fuel when racing"

"People buy this car because they want the handling and performance that can only come through Subaru’s boxer turbo four-cylinder and all-wheel-drive combination. There is a strong aftermarket community allowing an increase in Subaru performance only bound by the limits of your wallet. The Subaru powertrain will take years of abuse and even only then maybe start to burn oil. The Subaru Legacy GT from 2005 two 2009 really is a sports sedan only equivalent with cars $10,000 more in MSRP in price. Be prepared to pay at the pump. In utilizing this extra horsepower can yield is little as 14 miles per gallon in the city on premium. If however you are disciplined I've seen 31.5 miles per gallon in long trips in this car. This car is for those who do not want the flashy look of a sports car yet retain its power. It is possible to turn the Subaru Legacy GT into a sub 5 second rocketship. The smiles per gallon are tremendous in his vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. Sadly starting in 2010 Subaru change the spirit of this vehicle and from then onward is not the powerhouse it once was."

Great for me.. Might not be for you..

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun car, looks great, reliable."

Cons: "lower MPG compared to comparables."

"Love the car. Bought it used and had to do some service due to normal wear and tear. Car handles great for an "average" sedan, and in my opinion looks much better then almost any sedan from that model year. It's peppy enough to get up and go and gets decent MPG (29)for a midsize AWD car. I have the 5MT 2.5i and I enjoy every moment I drive it whether on the curvy back roads, highway cruising, or stuck in traffic. Ride might be a little rough for some and others looking for mid to high 30 MPG should look elsewhere."

Great vehicle

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, classy and looks like a new one."

Cons: "rear defrost is sometimes slow to work."

"I have only owned this car for about 15 months and here on the East coast of Canada the weather can get pretty nasty. This AWL car is excellent on snow and the vehicle is a solid and safe car to own. This is one of the best car I have owned of the dozens of cars I have had. Having the Limited Edition with heated leather and full power group and a great deal from a local dealer and couldn't be happier."

WOW What a ride

By on Friday, September 9, 2011

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Buy the GT"

"I have reviewed my fair share of cars and the 05 Legacy GT has that wow factor. The handling is superb and the power is great as long as you get the GT. the interior is not the cheap junk that most manufactures use and is very functional and comfortable. This car will hold its value and outperform other higher end cars that cost 2x as much. This is the first perfect rating that I've ever given a car... question my review go drive one... you will see Drivers Plan"

Spec B a winner

By on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"I have owned my 2008 LGT SpecB for 13 months now and I LOVE THIS CAR !!! Everything works perfect. Performance is awesome, economy is respectable. I replaced a Volvo S60R that was a money pit. The Subie blows the Volvo away at every measure... Highly recomended"

From Blazer to Legacy

By on Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Buffalo's winter driving can be a pain without the right vehicle but this is not a problem for my Subaru Legacy. In my opinion, this car outperforms my 02 Chevy Blazer in the ice/snow. In addition to better handling performance, this car also saves me at the pump. I average 7 more miles per gallon than my Blazer (40% highway, 60% city). I believe this car provides the best "bang for your buck." I have almost 30,000 miles on this car and the only major problems I had was that a one point in time, the transmission did not register properly in the "park" position which meant my car wouldn't start. I managed to get the car started and the dealer looked at my car at no cost but found no reason why my car did that. Overall, I would definitely buy another Subaru based on the quality, fuel efficiency, performance, and the warranty."

2007 Legacy Ltd Wgn

By on Friday, January 2, 2009

"Two years after buying new I am very pleased with value, quality, and performance. I find the 175 non-turbo engine more than adequate for my real-world driving, and I get 22-23 city and 30-31 hwy mpg, on regular(!). Head & Leg room adequate for my 6'2", though back seat is tight for a full size adult. Only real complaint is that the stereo could be stronger ('07 fell btwn the MacIntosh and Harmon-Kardon eras). Lucky to have bought the '07, which turned out to be the the last non-Outback wagon, which saved $$$ on what to me is a better- & sportier-looking version of the same mechanicals. This is the first non-Japan-built car I have ever bought in my 25+ yrs of car-buying, and I'm happy to say: nice work, Hoosiers!"

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"This is the first subaru Ive owned, bought it used for me to drive to and from work. Brought it home and my wife hasnt let me drive it since. She ownes (now I drive) an 06 PT Cruiser. She says the legacy gets excellent gas milage, very reliable, and goes anywhere an suv can."

By on Sunday, December 9, 2007

"My wife and I bought this car new in 2004. We have really enjoyed it. I just purchased a 2007 Outback, she still drives the Legacy. The seats are bit uncomfortable for long drives, her parents live 7 hours away. However, the trade off is worth it. In snow and ND winters this car is as good as my old 4x4 Dakota pickup. Very pleased and we will definitely buy Subaru again, and again, and again."

Best car i ever owned

By on Friday, September 21, 2007

"ok, great little car i put snows on it and go out in snow storms for fun. Zippy, comfy, Nice!!!! I am a mechanic and tell all my customers to buy a Subaru. I am just waiting for subaru to release the legacy sti!!! not available in the US yet but i can't wait for the day it arrives!!! Subaru is the best choice in the japanese car arena!! Last longer then a honda or toyota!!!!!!"

Good reliable Car

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Car gets decent gas mileage and is very reliable. It handles good in bad weather and is adequate for storage space. Mechanically, it is a sound car."

I Love This Car

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"My 2001 Subaru Legacy sedan has been a great and really fun car to drive. This car has a nice, zippy and responsive engine that has always been reliable. I love the ABS brakes and the AWD. The first time I drove this car I knew it was a great car and a great deal. Would I buy a Subaru again? In a heartbeat! I just might try them all."

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought the car in 2002, and I have only had one issue with the car which the dealer jumped to fix. Tires seemed to be wearing out much quicker than they should, dealer learned that the car was somewhat out of alignment when purchased. Car is comfortable to drive, and the AWD has come in handy more than once."