2005 Subaru Legacy

Based on 294 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Great Car..Issues with Head Gasket

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pros: "Great excelleration for 4cyl. Great in snow."

Cons: "Anti lock brakes in snow are terrible. Drives well in snow but doesnt stop well"

"Bought car used with 16000 miles and drove for work. 66000 miles in 2.5 years. Overall happy with performance. No major problems until I completed 80000 mile warranty. 81000 miles the head gasket went bad. Was told they corrected the problem in 2004-2005. Not so sure. Subaru was nice enough to fix for me for free. Still an unnecessary headache. Still overall happy with excelleration and quality. Would buy another subaru....."

Great Performance and Value

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"2008 Suabru Legacy GT (2.5 L Turbo) Value This is a great vehicle for the price. It has comparable value to BMWs and Audis at nearly half the price. Bought through Costco and saved a few thousand dollars. Reliability No problems in the last 2 years. Only concern is the "mandatory recommended service" for warranty purposes. I think it is a dealer gouging. Older subarus have been known to have problems, but recent models have excellent reliability (allegedly). Quality Fit and finish of interior and exterior is very good. I removed some panels to install a sub woofer and was impressed with the lightweight, inexpensive components that look great when put together. Performance We test drove a 4 speed, it was sluggish and rev'd high at freeway speeds. Highly recommend the 5 speed with the turbo. I have hard accelerated out of the snow with little or no slipping. Boxer engine is low to ground and body roll is minimal. Suspension is stiff on bumpy roads but is an okay trade off for the handling performance. Fuel mileage is around 27 (around here the speed limit is 55 or less) but as low as 22 when I cruise around 80 in the big city. Great performance in the mountains. Enjoy the turbo control mode for fuel economy or performance. Styling Car is beautiful and looks like a million bucks. We got the "diamond gray metallic" paint that is rare. I also like the blue. Hood scoop, spoiler, and moon roof are nice options. Comfort I am 6'5" and fit okay. If I was smaller I may have got the WRX. For a big guy, If I get my knee in first I fit okay. My wife is 5'11" and she fits good. Seat is comfortable for long trips and holds body in place through turns. Back seat is small for a large adult, but who cares I am driving. Overall Highly recommended to those in snow country. This car is comfortable, stylish, and has great performance for the money. I recommend this car to a husband who wants a sports car and a wife who wants a sedan, it is an excellent compromise. I will likely buy this car again."

Fun car but...

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun, fast, comfortable with decent MPG"

Cons: "Erratic engine behavior and expensive maintenance"

Great car when it runs great...

"I bought the car brand new in 03/05. Fun car to drive and to drive hard when it is running good. Tires appear to make a huge difference in handling characteristics, too big of a difference in my opinion. Had to replace a bearing in transmission at 62,000 (warranty ran out at 60,000). Car has never liked city speeds or cold and/or damp weather - car chugs (feels like gas is on and off...), very irritating and two dealers could not find a problem. The car has been having erratic idling/running issues since turning 100,000 and throws codes non-stop during these spells. Again, dealer can find nothing wrong but did suggest the cam shaft pulley/filter needed to be changed. Seriously. Bottom line, I would rather of kept the 10 year old car I had and the $32,000 I paid for this, my first new car."

Great car when it runs great...

Fun and nice

By on Friday, February 8, 2008

"I bought this 2000 Legacy sedan in 2005 with 34k miles, now in early 2008 it has 82K. I will only drive an AWD, as I live in the snowy hiils of central NY. It is a beast in any weather. I previously owned a Subaru Forester, and the Legacy is so much nicer to drive. It handles like a dream. You don't have to slow down nearly as much to make turns. The seats and ride are comfy. It has been reliable, inexpensive to maintain, and starts up like a gun every time no matter how cold."

Hands Down - Legacy is the BEST

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"If you're looking for a sweet little ride that handles like a dream in snow, ice, and rain, look no further than a Subaru Legacy. Good fuel economy + all wheel drive = a dream come true."

Good Value for Money

By on Friday, April 11, 2008

"I bought this car new in 2002. The car preforms well in the snow, and is comfortable to drive. The only drawbacks are MPG, and the fact that it only came in 4 cylinder engine; a 6 cylinder engine would make the car preform even better."

Nice car

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"Nice car, AWD is good in bad weather. 2000-2003 some have headgasket problem. Seats uncomfortable for long distance travel."

Love this Car

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

"This was my first Subaru and I am convinced that I will never buy another brand of car again. We have had the car for 4 years and have only made 2 repairs for electronic problems. It handles great in the snow and is very comfortable."

Fast, Secure, Compitent, Allstar!!

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "realiable, compitent, safe, athletic, really fun"

Cons: "paint chips easily"

"I purchased the car with 40k last year. Wow this beauty is so much more then compitent. I love this body style so much more then the new one. I have the auto, which needs an extra gear. The trans can get alittle lost or vague sometimes too. Milage is good but not great but what you get from this car is soooo much more then just commuter joy! Seats are very good but could use larger side bolster for the twisties. Sound system is great. Build quality really high, great materials and feel, no rattles Car is glued to the ground in the snow. my buddy who has a new A4 2T is envious. Enough said"

fastest car I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pros: "When the turbo kicks in WOW"

Cons: "road and tire noise"

"I've owned acura RSX type S, Legend coupes, Subaru SVX, Volvo 850 turbo. This car is a better handling faster car than all those before. The worst quality in the car is the road noise, but the speed and the turbo make me smile all the time. 110,000 mi. and all good."