2005 Subaru Legacy

Based on 262 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Well rounded machine

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"PROS: The handling, steering, suspension, control, and AWD in this vehicle are phenomenal. The car responds like a sports car while on dry pavement and recovers like a rally car when driving on slippery surfaces. It absolutely dominates in the snow as the AWD truely is AWD and not computer reactive like systems found with other car manufacturers. In fact, the car does not have a computer that regulates driving in any way so you're free to drive as you wish and have fun without the brakes automatically engaging or stuff like that. Maintenece has been minimal (bought it with 9,000 miles and currently has 70,000 miles and in that time only oil changes + brakes have been needed) and the car shows no signs of deviating from that trend). The trunk is large, the driver's seat is comfortable, and even though I have the base model the car still has a sun room and auxiliary audio inlet. CONS: I wouldn't want to have to sit in the back seat. The AWD comes with a trade off and that is fuel economy; it's a 5 speed manual with a 4 cylinder engine yet gets only 26 mpg BEST on the highways. A 2 wheel drive car with those same traits would get 30+ mpg. Also, in deep, sticky snow the snow will accumulate in the wheel wells (small clearance between body and tires) and you'll have to clear it out regularly to prevent the car from shaking and having reduced handling). The interior quality overall feels a little cheap, but then again if that's something you value then this isn't the car for you."

fantastic car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more pwer but it gets up and goes"

"ive has my 2006 legacy since it was bran new 8 years now I have 98000miles on it and I just know I have another 100k out of her. this car runs amazing good gas milage and very safe and reliable"

Fun to drive

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

"Great on and off the road, weather conditions don't matter. You can do some serious G's around curves/corners."

Great College Car

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power from the turbo engine."

Cons: "Must use premium fuel"

"Purchased my 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with 103,000 miles. Did purchase extended warranty from CarMax,which covers up to 3 years and up to 150,000 miles. I took the car to my mechanic to have the timing belt / water pump changed as well as new spark plugs. I knew this would be needed when I purchased the car, so was not upset about that maintenance expense. Mechanic found some other issues, including leaking radiator, leaking power steering pump and a couple of other items. The CarMax extended warranty covered all, so now have everything operating properly. Car drives great, huge sunroof, loads of power with the turbo, stops great, beautiful leather interior. Radio does not have a plug for ipod, but purchased a wireless adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and operates as a bluetooth. It connects to the radio / iphone and works through the radio for phone calls, as well as you can stream your music or pandora to the radio. Brings it up to 2014 standards! Car for my college daughter, so glad it has all wheel drive, plenty of power, lots of cargo space and still has a tight body, no rattles! I recommend a Subaru for its all wheel drive, good driving dynamics and safety."

Do not buy!!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Great stereo"

Cons: "Engine sucks, and the transmission sluggish"

"79k and I need a head gasket job at $1800.00 Don't let anyone tell you Subaru fixed the head gasket issue from 2005 onward. It is a lie. A dealership admitted my issue is "pretty common." I expect such ridiculousness from a 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru Legacy Limited. I have had 2 Nissans that went over 250k without anything but regular maintenance, and a 1992 Camry that did just about everything better than this Subaru...and the Subaru is only impressive in winter if you run studded snows, otherwise my Camry with 4 studded snows was nearly as good. STAY AWAY FROM SUBARU...unless you like giving mechanics $2000.00. Other posts reveal engines seizing, etc. JUNK!!!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25