2004 Subaru Legacy

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

All the production budget went to the drive train

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Engine, AWD, affordability, reliability"

Cons: "Frameless windows, upholstry, stereo"

"This is a great little car but if you are going to produce a mid-sized sedan with all wheel drive in this price range it means a few tradeoffs. Namely most of the production budget went into the engine and drive train. So let's start with that drive train. It is excellent. 142,000 miles on mine and it still starts and runs like a top, shifts flawlessly and the AWD is astoundingly good. Rain and snow is never a problem, even for an inexperienced driver like my daughter, who drives the car the most. Feel secure buying this car if safety, reliability and a little fun are important to you. So where are the tradeoffs? Interior and structural design mostly. Now mine is a pretty basic L sedan so that is part of it, but things like frameless door windows, seats that are mediocre and a sound system that leaves a lot to be desired might turn some people off. The frameless door windows are the most surprising. Having no frame around the door window is something one does not expect from a mid-priced mid-sized sedan. And at about 60 mph you do get some wind noise which is obviously about the frameless windows. Not a ton, but enough to notice. The upholstery is pretty cheap feeling, kinda like a Honda Civic. The stereo is passable but nothing special. Now, having said that, I'm surprised at how tight everything on the inside still is. Knobs, buttons, hinges, lights, windows etc all feel tight and new. So if things like sumptuous seats, kicking stereo and bells and whistles are what you are looking for, look elsewhere. But is you are looking for a fantastic A-B car that will always start, always get you there and look good doing it, buy this car with no reservations."

very safe

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"I had the pleasure of owning my 2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan for over 2 years. I had always wanted a Subaru, and am so glad I finally got to. In Oct. 2009 a vehicle turning left from the opposite direction of traffic, right infront of me on the highway. Despite my best effort to slam on the brakes, I t-boned the other driver at highway speeds. The impact was horrendous. All of the safety features performed exactly as they should and as a result my 4 year old son and I walked away from the crash. Unfortunately, and sadly, the car was totalled. I will own another Subaru Legacy as soon as I can! I firmly believe that car saved me and my son from more severe injuries, if not death!"

Reasonibly priced, quality vehicle

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Quality built vehicle with above average (local) to superior (on the road) support from dealerships. Vehicle has been almost trouble free with regular maintenance. Engine had complete failed at 36,000 miles while on vacation. Dealer in SD had vehicle towed, provided rental car, and replaced engine free. We continued our vacation in rental and picked up car on way back five days later. Maintenance - tires at 44,000 - brake pads at 68,000 - battery at 80,000 24 mpg in city and 27 mpg on long trips AWD has performed flawlessly in mud, snow, and bad weather. To be considered if purchasing a Subaru: 30,000, 60,000, 90,000 etc.. mile service at dealer- is expensive. Range $450-$700. This vehicle is not an SUV, but can handle any back road and mud or snow condition up to the bottom of the under carriage."

Turbo? We don't need no stinkin turbo.

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"All-around coolest car I've owned! My suby is fun, sporty, comfortable, reliable and just plain fun to drive. Originally drawn into the subaru fold by the very cool boxer noise that the oh-so-common WRX makes, I ended up in a Legacy GT. Mainly I like the increased interior room, nicer appointments, more solid feel, and originality. Seldom, if ever, do I see another car in the mall parking lot that could be confused for mine. On the other hand, when have you been to any store and not seen 2 or more world rally blue wrx's? I get the all-wheel drive, the cool boxer sound and the subaru legend without the racerboy mystique or problems from the cops. Mechanically my suby has been pretty reliable. It had 120k miles when I bought it and my wife drives it 2-3 thousand miles a month. I replaced a worn clutch when we first bought it and 2 years later have only had one other serious mechanical problem. One of the camshaft gears broke under very hard driving conditions, evidently a common problem with the 2.5L engine. If you have one of these cars with more than 100k miles on it, you might want to check the intake cam gear on the passenger side. They crack from heat and excessive stress will shatter them once cracked. This causes catastrophic engine failure. Luckily JDM engines are about $600 on ebay and only take 8 hours or so to change out. Overall we love our subaru. It's now lowered 2" and we've installed KYB adjustable struts all around. Drilled/slotted rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads were added and a "rice pipe" so we can hear the boxer sound. The seats are comfy, the ride is nice, the look is plenty cool and we get about 25 mpg with mixed freeway/city driving. Winter driving is always fun and it's easy to induce a little snow-fueled oversteer with a quick blip of the throttle. In the Dry, this car will stick the corners with all the more expensive 2 door sports. It's easy to handle the 165hp without worry of breaking loose, try that with a 320hp STI. These cars are known to rust in several spots, I have only had one problem with rust and that was right above the windshield seal. Easy fix at maaco. If you have the choice between the WRX and the Legacy, go for the N/A Legacy GT, you wont' be disappointed."

Very nice car

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

"Its not a fast car but it is very fun to drive even on wet road conditions,it does about 20mpg combined and very reliable so far, Is my 2nd Subaru."

Subie AWD is the standard!

By on Friday, May 22, 2009

"Nothing at any price will be as reliable,agile, safe and just plain fun to drive in foul weather as the Subaru..maybe that's why it's affectionately known as the Colorado state car. You'll see the richest people in Vail driving Subies now ask yourself why when they can afford anything..it's easy, Subaru has been playing this game longer then anyone except maybe Jeep and that's comparing apples to oranges, this car is build like a tank and with tires like the winter performance Dunlop M3's it handles snow/ice like a snow cat. Nothing is better for my family."

4th Subaru - That should say a lot

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "4WD, tight handling, good value"

Cons: "A little more maintenance than average"

"This is our fourth Subie. Others were: 98 Outback, 00 Legacy Wagon. Currently have this and an 06 Outback. I don't usually write reviews, I just leech off of others, however, Subaru deserves a few minutes of my time. These cars are well made. Feels/rides like a much heavier car. NOTHING can touch it in the rain/ice/snow, a foot of snow and it's like driving on dry pavement(almost). I was a car mechanic for many years. They do require a bit more maintenance than say, Honda, but I think it's worth it. The engine just went in the 06 Outback, timing belt failure, 157,000 miles. I trusted the previous owner that it had been changed. It has been changed now, along with the engine($3400). But that's how much I like and trust these cars. I put a new engine in an eight year old car(it's mint). So now I expect at least 300,000 miles out of it. Never had any major issues like that before in any of our Subies. The reason I put the engine story in is that these cars, underneath, haven't really changed since... a long time. Same 2.5 engine, same transmission. BTW, Subie automatics are more reliable than their sticks. Weird. Strong, safe, hold their value and the road. I can't see driving anything else."

Predictable Problems

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Most "minor fixes" are fairly cheap"

Cons: "Often requires the same big ticket repair issues"

"Several talented mechanics have worked on my Legacy Wagon in the four or five years we have owned it. It starts reliably, is heavy (also read: mediocre gas mileage, currently 19 MPG), holds the road well in the snow, and seats five pretty comfortably, although not for long trips. The problem is that Subaru has had some long-term design issues with this car that they have never really addressed. At 105k miles you should do the timing belt. Okay, that's true for lots of cars. This model has a "piston slap" that makes it run rough for the first few minutes after you start it, but my mechanics say that there doesn't seem to be either a real fix nor a long-term negative implication of this issue. However, too, too many of this model (including mine), blow a head gasket at about 120k miles. You can spend the extra $700 bucks on fixing this proactively when you do the timing belt, but, of course, YOUR car may not need it and $700 is a lot of proactive maintenance! Also, I've had Subaru-trained mechanics tell me that they think after-market parts are BETTER quality than the originals when it comes to replacing the head gasket, but that there is no guarantee that it won't blow again either way, this time after only 50k miles or so. So, you can do your $1200 timing belt, come back in a year and do the $1800 head gasket, and then, by the way, the catalytic converter is likely to die anytime around 125k. That's another $800 or more. So, you have a car that, assuming it hasn't rusted, is still running 1.5 years later, but for $3800 worth of big-ticket bills, you have 1.5 more years of car. Thing is, at $215 a month, that's what it costs for 18 months of a brand new, fuel efficient car, not a ten-year-old car. Maybe yours won't develop the problems, but from what I hear, that is more the exception than the rule. Want to play car lottery?"

Best product I have EVER bought!!

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

"I bought my loving 2002 Legecy GT BRAND NEW. It has NEVER failed me. Over the last almost 10 years I have put 216,000 miles on it and it has never left me stranded. It goes wonderful in the Pennsylvania snow. At 130,000 I chose to replace the water pump"

Great Car, few things to watch

By on Sunday, April 04, 2010

"Like all Subaru's if you pay attention to any particular common problems they will go forever. This is my second one after taking my first one (1992 Loyalle Wagon) to 375,000 miles. Make sure the head gasket's and timing belts are in good shape, change the oil and transfer case fluids when needed and you will be set for a long time. Handles unbelievably well in the snow and ice, especially with stud-less winter tires like the blizzak. Can't speak to the quality of the Auto tranny, but am at 125,000 miles plus still on the original clutch of my 5-speed."

Reliable, Safe, and a Joy to Drive

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "AWD, Good value, safety ratings"

Cons: "Fuel Economy could be better"

"I've owned this car for 12 years and it was well worth the sticker price. Didn't have any major maintenance issues and always felt safe driving it."

Will only buy a Subaru now....

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"I bought my 2000 Subaru Legacy in 2002, and in the past 8 years, it's run like a champ! Anything needing updated or repaired has been general maintenance and minor. I know nothing about vehicle upkeep and it has run great for me year after year! I live in the snowbelt of western NY and we get pounded every winter, however, I can plow thru snow piles and always manuever effortlessly each year! Amazing and highly recommended!"

Smartest Buy I Ever Made

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"I bought this car at a time when I couldn't afford milk let alone a car with a car payment. Yet it has surprisingly been the best purchase I have ever made. Sometimes impulsive decisions do pan out! I've owned my subaru for almost 4 years. It has traveled across the nation many times, taken me on numerous adventures, but most of all is a safe and reliable for both my daughter and I. This car gets me to work every day, on time, through all kinds of ND weather. This car always starts. This car powers through snow drifts when other 4x4 trucks struggle..(yes that is true). If it's possible for a human to love their car, I do. Thanks Subaru."

Very nice car.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I have owned the Legacy and the Legacy GT Limited. The Limited seems to use much more gas. I do understand the engine is a little bigger, but I still expected better gas mileage from a Subaru. The cup holder in the front may not break, but it is in a bad location. It covers a lot of the heat/air controls and also the CD player. Otherwise, I love it!"

Smoothest Ride Ever

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Suspension and handling. I won't buy another brand after having this Subaru."

Cons: "Things fall off in the interior. Nothing's designed to hold a woman's purse."

"I've had this car since 2003 and I love the ride. Very good lumbar support and the suspension is great! Very easy to handle. I've never had a mechanical problem. Small things fall off in the interior. Exterior showing some wear tho it's always been kept in a garage. Overall, I love this car."

Love Subarus

By on Monday, April 25, 2011

"This is the fourth Subaru we have owned over the past 20 years and they have all been good cars. With routine maintenance, I have confidence that they would keep going and going like the proverbial bunny! The biggest downside for me is the underpowered performance of the 4 cyl engine but it IS nice on the gas mileage, even with AWD. Handling is great and we drive with confidence in all weather conditions. We wouldn't hesitate to keep buying Subarus!"

money pit!

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"I have owned this Subaru legacy wagon since 2004 (2003 model). Was fine for the first few years--I drove it alot, but in So Cal, so no extreme conditions. The brakes needed replacing on a too-frequent basis, and a year and a half ago, the AC died, which I have yet to replace. Just a few days ago, the temp gauge went past red consistently, so I took it in, and was told it has a blown head gasket! So, now, at 86K miles, another $3000 to fix. I've never owned a car that required this many repairs--(I have a 2001 Ford Excursion w/112,000 miles and nowhere near this kind of repair expense!) Will not buy another Subaru"

Won't buy another Subaru

By on Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Although this car handles okay in the snow (but nothing deep because the clearance is too low), I've had nothing but problems. I purchased the car in 2005; it was a rental car with 6000 miles. The car is cheaply made and parts have been falling off since we brought it home (sunvisor fell apart, air leaks in through windows, etc). The external head gasket started leaking at 60,000 miles and I had to spend $1500 to replace it. Less than a year later, the car is over heating again and I can't drive it. Now, I have a car I can't drive with only 89,000 miles and Subaru is not standing behind their product."

Lovin the Legacy GT L

By on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

"It's not the fastest sedan on the road, but it's a whole lot of fun especially if you have the 5-speed. I'm a teenager so believe me, I take this car through its paces and it holds up extremely well. If you take good care of a Subaru, it'll take good care of you. It handles great, especially in the snow. I love this car and Subaru definitely has me hooked."

wonderful GT

By on Friday, March 06, 2009

"I've put a ton of miles on mine and never had a real problem. Love the control via AWD!"

Absolutely loved this car

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "great fun to drive"

Cons: "older car with fewer safety options than newer"

"This car has never gotten stuck in the snow, never failed to start, was fun to drive and always got noticed by other drivers on the road. Loved the two-tone styling. Very comfortable and easy to handle."

Great car.

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Well built, reliable, all wheel drive, safe"

Cons: "Needs more power, a better auto trans"

"Still looks and drives like new. Best car I have ever owned. Not a squeak or a rattle after 9 years and 165,000 miles. Paint is like new,and it is not garge kept."

Good car for a fair price

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Easy repair, Sleek look, Well equiped"

Cons: "Not very fast"

"Reliable car that will get you from point a to b. sporty look for the price however lacking sport car performance when it comes to torque and horsepower. I recommend this car to anyone that wants a sleek look but isn't too concerned about how fast its quarter mile is."

I am in love with my vehicle!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "just about everything is a pro with my car"

Cons: "the clips have come loose from the door panels"

"I have never loved any of my vehicles but I do LOVE my Subaru. I have had my Legacy for 8 years now and she is my baby. I had never owned a Subaru before this one and now I dont think that I could ever go with any other vehicle. I have driven and had a toyota, a honda, a ford and a Chevy, and nothing comes close to the reliability and quality of my Legacy. They do not make the Legacy in the wagon anymore but I wish they did. Then I would consider trading my car in for another. I have gotten calls from Subaru and Nissan, both wanting to buy my car from me, but they do not stand a chance at prying this car from my hands."

best so far

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"i bought this car new. words cant discribe how much i love this car, this car will do everything and more to keep the driver happy. the looks,handling,and the inside of the car is luxury, but afordible for the working man. this car is the best car i've had."