2004 Subaru Legacy

Based on 116 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

4th Subaru - That should say a lot

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "4WD, tight handling, good value"

Cons: "A little more maintenance than average"

"This is our fourth Subie. Others were: 98 Outback, 00 Legacy Wagon. Currently have this and an 06 Outback. I don't usually write reviews, I just leech off of others, however, Subaru deserves a few minutes of my time. These cars are well made. Feels/rides like a much heavier car. NOTHING can touch it in the rain/ice/snow, a foot of snow and it's like driving on dry pavement(almost). I was a car mechanic for many years. They do require a bit more maintenance than say, Honda, but I think it's worth it. The engine just went in the 06 Outback, timing belt failure, 157,000 miles. I trusted the previous owner that it had been changed. It has been changed now, along with the engine($3400). But that's how much I like and trust these cars. I put a new engine in an eight year old car(it's mint). So now I expect at least 300,000 miles out of it. Never had any major issues like that before in any of our Subies. The reason I put the engine story in is that these cars, underneath, haven't really changed since... a long time. Same 2.5 engine, same transmission. BTW, Subie automatics are more reliable than their sticks. Weird. Strong, safe, hold their value and the road. I can't see driving anything else."

Weak car overall

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Good in snow, nice feel on the road"

Cons: "disappointing gas mileage, way too many problems"

"I like the way this car drives, but that's about all. The AC quit at 7 years old and would cost $1500 to fix. The radio stopped being reliable at 5 years - now and then it works, but not always from the same speaker. It's on its third clutch (I've owned 14 standard transmission cars with no clutch replacements and with more miles on the car). It developed a head gasket antifreeze leak at about 90,000 mi. The catalytic converter needed replacement at about 50,000 mi. I got the car new and have maintained it regularly, but that hasn't helped."

Great car, good gas miliage, easy to maintain

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to maintain"

Cons: "rust in rear door frames, wind noise."

"Very nice car."

NICE, PRACTICAL CAR

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Good handling, reliable, pratical"

Cons: "Wind noise, transmission"

"I think this car is quite good. Handling is surprisingly good, Power is adequate. Ergonomics are better than average. The four speed automatic has large gaps between gears and seems to shift at unexpected times under kick-down conditions or when manually controlling downshifts. Wind noise from A pillar/mirror area is atrocious."

Great dependable car

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, strong"

Cons: "Tight interior for 5 people, gas mileage is so-so"

"I bought mine used and have had it a few years. The one thing they tend to get is a tap in the engine when they are warming up. Mine had the tap when I bought it and have driven it steady for 3 years without a problem, it goes away after the car warms up. The body is very rust resistant and mine has requires very little to no maintenance. Gas mileage is not so great even for a 4 cylinder it averages between 20 and 23 MPG. Interior is comfortable but 3 people in the back seat is tight. so if you have 3 kids look for something bigger."

All the production budget went to the drive train

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Engine, AWD, affordability, reliability"

Cons: "Frameless windows, upholstry, stereo"

"This is a great little car but if you are going to produce a mid-sized sedan with all wheel drive in this price range it means a few tradeoffs. Namely most of the production budget went into the engine and drive train. So let's start with that drive train. It is excellent. 142,000 miles on mine and it still starts and runs like a top, shifts flawlessly and the AWD is astoundingly good. Rain and snow is never a problem, even for an inexperienced driver like my daughter, who drives the car the most. Feel secure buying this car if safety, reliability and a little fun are important to you. So where are the tradeoffs? Interior and structural design mostly. Now mine is a pretty basic L sedan so that is part of it, but things like frameless door windows, seats that are mediocre and a sound system that leaves a lot to be desired might turn some people off. The frameless door windows are the most surprising. Having no frame around the door window is something one does not expect from a mid-priced mid-sized sedan. And at about 60 mph you do get some wind noise which is obviously about the frameless windows. Not a ton, but enough to notice. The upholstery is pretty cheap feeling, kinda like a Honda Civic. The stereo is passable but nothing special. Now, having said that, I'm surprised at how tight everything on the inside still is. Knobs, buttons, hinges, lights, windows etc all feel tight and new. So if things like sumptuous seats, kicking stereo and bells and whistles are what you are looking for, look elsewhere. But is you are looking for a fantastic A-B car that will always start, always get you there and look good doing it, buy this car with no reservations."

GREAT for winter. Fun/Sporty. Has flaws, though.

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, AWD rocks, nicely loaded options"

Cons: "Small interior, road noise, motor power"

My Suby in it's natural environment

"It's great for the Fargo, ND winters. I've had it for 2 winters and you have to try and get stuck to get stuck! I bought it at 100K miles, and a lot has been repaired: Clutch, front brakes, timing belt component kit, tires, front/passenger bearing, catalytic converter, etc. The engine light is on for an O2 sensor and the Air Control Valve. The road noise is pretty bad. When driving into a strong head wind the lining around the windshield creates an annoying whistle. The manual can be frustrating at times. DESPITE all of this, I like it. The winter package is great, love the sun roof, the driver seat is comfy (not passenger) and it's sporty for summer, yet reliable for the winter. This really has been a great car, I just wish I would have been smarter when buying it. I guess it's common for this car to get bad head gaskets soon so if that happens she will be for $ale!"

My Suby in it's natural environment

Absolutely loved this car

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "great fun to drive"

Cons: "older car with fewer safety options than newer"

"This car has never gotten stuck in the snow, never failed to start, was fun to drive and always got noticed by other drivers on the road. Loved the two-tone styling. Very comfortable and easy to handle."

Sour Apple

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Space, weather handeling"

Cons: "Too many repairs and expensive to fix"

"I was super excited when I knew I would own a subaru. That ended quickly. We bought it used with 30K miles. It had some sun damage in the paint but its held up and hasn't needed anything. About every year I am spending $1,000 to 2K plus in repairs. I've had the Catalytic converter go out before time, any repairs done are double or even tripple the cost than that of US makes. It's been explained that the parts and labor is more because of all the safety features. I've had to do shocks, struts, swaybars, boots, Air Intake valve, Hatch door hydraulics, power seat, power sunroof repairs. There's more but every year I am am dug into a hole with this car. :( However it is comfortable spacious (more roomthan the forester, or even many small SUV's) and does well in the snow."

very reliable, safe, durable...all in all awesome!

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "super reliable, easy to maintain, safe, good mpg"

Cons: "wish there was more power"

"This car is very reliable. I'm almost at 210k miles and its still running like its new. Since I bought it, the only thing that I've needed to fix (other than regular oil changes and general TLC) is the muffler started getting some rust holes (~180k miles--easily fixed with a good weld job) and the heat shield was coming loose and making a "clanging" sound (~195k miles--again, easily fixed with a good weld). Theres just too many good things to say about this vehicle. Its safe, reliable, mpg is great considering it was made in 2002. Its quite comfy too! Its AWD so getting through snow/ice is no problem either (and I live in Vermont so believe me, i know all about that)!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25