2002 Subaru Legacy

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

All the production budget went to the drive train

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Engine, AWD, affordability, reliability"

Cons: "Frameless windows, upholstry, stereo"

"This is a great little car but if you are going to produce a mid-sized sedan with all wheel drive in this price range it means a few tradeoffs. Namely most of the production budget went into the engine and drive train. So let's start with that drive train. It is excellent. 142,000 miles on mine and it still starts and runs like a top, shifts flawlessly and the AWD is astoundingly good. Rain and snow is never a problem, even for an inexperienced driver like my daughter, who drives the car the most. Feel secure buying this car if safety, reliability and a little fun are important to you. So where are the tradeoffs? Interior and structural design mostly. Now mine is a pretty basic L sedan so that is part of it, but things like frameless door windows, seats that are mediocre and a sound system that leaves a lot to be desired might turn some people off. The frameless door windows are the most surprising. Having no frame around the door window is something one does not expect from a mid-priced mid-sized sedan. And at about 60 mph you do get some wind noise which is obviously about the frameless windows. Not a ton, but enough to notice. The upholstery is pretty cheap feeling, kinda like a Honda Civic. The stereo is passable but nothing special. Now, having said that, I'm surprised at how tight everything on the inside still is. Knobs, buttons, hinges, lights, windows etc all feel tight and new. So if things like sumptuous seats, kicking stereo and bells and whistles are what you are looking for, look elsewhere. But is you are looking for a fantastic A-B car that will always start, always get you there and look good doing it, buy this car with no reservations."

very safe

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"I had the pleasure of owning my 2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan for over 2 years. I had always wanted a Subaru, and am so glad I finally got to. In Oct. 2009 a vehicle turning left from the opposite direction of traffic, right infront of me on the highway. Despite my best effort to slam on the brakes, I t-boned the other driver at highway speeds. The impact was horrendous. All of the safety features performed exactly as they should and as a result my 4 year old son and I walked away from the crash. Unfortunately, and sadly, the car was totalled. I will own another Subaru Legacy as soon as I can! I firmly believe that car saved me and my son from more severe injuries, if not death!"

Reasonibly priced, quality vehicle

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Quality built vehicle with above average (local) to superior (on the road) support from dealerships. Vehicle has been almost trouble free with regular maintenance. Engine had complete failed at 36,000 miles while on vacation. Dealer in SD had vehicle towed, provided rental car, and replaced engine free. We continued our vacation in rental and picked up car on way back five days later. Maintenance - tires at 44,000 - brake pads at 68,000 - battery at 80,000 24 mpg in city and 27 mpg on long trips AWD has performed flawlessly in mud, snow, and bad weather. To be considered if purchasing a Subaru: 30,000, 60,000, 90,000 etc.. mile service at dealer- is expensive. Range $450-$700. This vehicle is not an SUV, but can handle any back road and mud or snow condition up to the bottom of the under carriage."

Turbo? We don't need no stinkin turbo.

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"All-around coolest car I've owned! My suby is fun, sporty, comfortable, reliable and just plain fun to drive. Originally drawn into the subaru fold by the very cool boxer noise that the oh-so-common WRX makes, I ended up in a Legacy GT. Mainly I like the increased interior room, nicer appointments, more solid feel, and originality. Seldom, if ever, do I see another car in the mall parking lot that could be confused for mine. On the other hand, when have you been to any store and not seen 2 or more world rally blue wrx's? I get the all-wheel drive, the cool boxer sound and the subaru legend without the racerboy mystique or problems from the cops. Mechanically my suby has been pretty reliable. It had 120k miles when I bought it and my wife drives it 2-3 thousand miles a month. I replaced a worn clutch when we first bought it and 2 years later have only had one other serious mechanical problem. One of the camshaft gears broke under very hard driving conditions, evidently a common problem with the 2.5L engine. If you have one of these cars with more than 100k miles on it, you might want to check the intake cam gear on the passenger side. They crack from heat and excessive stress will shatter them once cracked. This causes catastrophic engine failure. Luckily JDM engines are about $600 on ebay and only take 8 hours or so to change out. Overall we love our subaru. It's now lowered 2" and we've installed KYB adjustable struts all around. Drilled/slotted rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads were added and a "rice pipe" so we can hear the boxer sound. The seats are comfy, the ride is nice, the look is plenty cool and we get about 25 mpg with mixed freeway/city driving. Winter driving is always fun and it's easy to induce a little snow-fueled oversteer with a quick blip of the throttle. In the Dry, this car will stick the corners with all the more expensive 2 door sports. It's easy to handle the 165hp without worry of breaking loose, try that with a 320hp STI. These cars are known to rust in several spots, I have only had one problem with rust and that was right above the windshield seal. Easy fix at maaco. If you have the choice between the WRX and the Legacy, go for the N/A Legacy GT, you wont' be disappointed."

Very nice car

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

"Its not a fast car but it is very fun to drive even on wet road conditions,it does about 20mpg combined and very reliable so far, Is my 2nd Subaru."