2001 Subaru Legacy

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Love my car

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "Lasts forever, fun to drive, lots of room"

Cons: "NONE"

"I love my Subaru. I have never been brand loyal...till now. I can't see ever buying any other car. My only wish is they would design and build a hybrid."

Everything you really need a car to be.

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "reliable, holds value, practical, awd, versatile"

Cons: "gas mileage, definitely not a race car"

"Every Subaru I have owned has been a great car. They seem to last forever if you take care of them. I sold my last one with a measly 175,000 miles (which as far as I'm concerned means it is just broken in). My current legacy wagon has around 200,000 miles with no issues and only has needed regular service and maintenance, and my first one had 276,000 and still ran strong when I sold it (although it no longer passed inspection. If it had I wouldn't have sold it). These wagons aren't the fastest, most powerful, or even the "coolest", but they are everything you need a car to be. They do their job and they do it well. If you drive a Subaru, it's only a matter of time until you fall in love with it. The older it gets, and the longer you have it, the more you love it, and the more the thought of any other car in the garage seems ludicrous. We take it on camping trips, to home depot and treat it like a truck, pile it with kids and coolers and strollers and cargo, we even tow our small boat with it. It seems like part of the family. Heck, she even has a name! Overall, I'd say it's a great value, extremely practical, and there's not much on the market that can compare. I'd buy one again, and I'm sure I will (in about 200,000 more miles)"

4th Subaru - That should say a lot

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "4WD, tight handling, good value"

Cons: "A little more maintenance than average"

"This is our fourth Subie. Others were: 98 Outback, 00 Legacy Wagon. Currently have this and an 06 Outback. I don't usually write reviews, I just leech off of others, however, Subaru deserves a few minutes of my time. These cars are well made. Feels/rides like a much heavier car. NOTHING can touch it in the rain/ice/snow, a foot of snow and it's like driving on dry pavement(almost). I was a car mechanic for many years. They do require a bit more maintenance than say, Honda, but I think it's worth it. The engine just went in the 06 Outback, timing belt failure, 157,000 miles. I trusted the previous owner that it had been changed. It has been changed now, along with the engine($3400). But that's how much I like and trust these cars. I put a new engine in an eight year old car(it's mint). So now I expect at least 300,000 miles out of it. Never had any major issues like that before in any of our Subies. The reason I put the engine story in is that these cars, underneath, haven't really changed since... a long time. Same 2.5 engine, same transmission. BTW, Subie automatics are more reliable than their sticks. Weird. Strong, safe, hold their value and the road. I can't see driving anything else."

Weak car overall

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Good in snow, nice feel on the road"

Cons: "disappointing gas mileage, way too many problems"

"I like the way this car drives, but that's about all. The AC quit at 7 years old and would cost $1500 to fix. The radio stopped being reliable at 5 years - now and then it works, but not always from the same speaker. It's on its third clutch (I've owned 14 standard transmission cars with no clutch replacements and with more miles on the car). It developed a head gasket antifreeze leak at about 90,000 mi. The catalytic converter needed replacement at about 50,000 mi. I got the car new and have maintained it regularly, but that hasn't helped."

Great car, good gas miliage, easy to maintain

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to maintain"

Cons: "rust in rear door frames, wind noise."

"Very nice car."