2001 Subaru Legacy

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

very safe

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"I had the pleasure of owning my 2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan for over 2 years. I had always wanted a Subaru, and am so glad I finally got to. In Oct. 2009 a vehicle turning left from the opposite direction of traffic, right infront of me on the highway. Despite my best effort to slam on the brakes, I t-boned the other driver at highway speeds. The impact was horrendous. All of the safety features performed exactly as they should and as a result my 4 year old son and I walked away from the crash. Unfortunately, and sadly, the car was totalled. I will own another Subaru Legacy as soon as I can! I firmly believe that car saved me and my son from more severe injuries, if not death!"

Predictable Problems

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Most "minor fixes" are fairly cheap"

Cons: "Often requires the same big ticket repair issues"

"Several talented mechanics have worked on my Legacy Wagon in the four or five years we have owned it. It starts reliably, is heavy (also read: mediocre gas mileage, currently 19 MPG), holds the road well in the snow, and seats five pretty comfortably, although not for long trips. The problem is that Subaru has had some long-term design issues with this car that they have never really addressed. At 105k miles you should do the timing belt. Okay, that's true for lots of cars. This model has a "piston slap" that makes it run rough for the first few minutes after you start it, but my mechanics say that there doesn't seem to be either a real fix nor a long-term negative implication of this issue. However, too, too many of this model (including mine), blow a head gasket at about 120k miles. You can spend the extra $700 bucks on fixing this proactively when you do the timing belt, but, of course, YOUR car may not need it and $700 is a lot of proactive maintenance! Also, I've had Subaru-trained mechanics tell me that they think after-market parts are BETTER quality than the originals when it comes to replacing the head gasket, but that there is no guarantee that it won't blow again either way, this time after only 50k miles or so. So, you can do your $1200 timing belt, come back in a year and do the $1800 head gasket, and then, by the way, the catalytic converter is likely to die anytime around 125k. That's another $800 or more. So, you have a car that, assuming it hasn't rusted, is still running 1.5 years later, but for $3800 worth of big-ticket bills, you have 1.5 more years of car. Thing is, at $215 a month, that's what it costs for 18 months of a brand new, fuel efficient car, not a ten-year-old car. Maybe yours won't develop the problems, but from what I hear, that is more the exception than the rule. Want to play car lottery?"

Smartest Buy I Ever Made

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"I bought this car at a time when I couldn't afford milk let alone a car with a car payment. Yet it has surprisingly been the best purchase I have ever made. Sometimes impulsive decisions do pan out! I've owned my subaru for almost 4 years. It has traveled across the nation many times, taken me on numerous adventures, but most of all is a safe and reliable for both my daughter and I. This car gets me to work every day, on time, through all kinds of ND weather. This car always starts. This car powers through snow drifts when other 4x4 trucks struggle..(yes that is true). If it's possible for a human to love their car, I do. Thanks Subaru."

Reliable, Safe, and a Joy to Drive

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "AWD, Good value, safety ratings"

Cons: "Fuel Economy could be better"

"I've owned this car for 12 years and it was well worth the sticker price. Didn't have any major maintenance issues and always felt safe driving it."

Will only buy a Subaru now....

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"I bought my 2000 Subaru Legacy in 2002, and in the past 8 years, it's run like a champ! Anything needing updated or repaired has been general maintenance and minor. I know nothing about vehicle upkeep and it has run great for me year after year! I live in the snowbelt of western NY and we get pounded every winter, however, I can plow thru snow piles and always manuever effortlessly each year! Amazing and highly recommended!"

Very nice car.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I have owned the Legacy and the Legacy GT Limited. The Limited seems to use much more gas. I do understand the engine is a little bigger, but I still expected better gas mileage from a Subaru. The cup holder in the front may not break, but it is in a bad location. It covers a lot of the heat/air controls and also the CD player. Otherwise, I love it!"

Smoothest Ride Ever

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Suspension and handling. I won't buy another brand after having this Subaru."

Cons: "Things fall off in the interior. Nothing's designed to hold a woman's purse."

"I've had this car since 2003 and I love the ride. Very good lumbar support and the suspension is great! Very easy to handle. I've never had a mechanical problem. Small things fall off in the interior. Exterior showing some wear tho it's always been kept in a garage. Overall, I love this car."

Love Subarus

By on Monday, April 25, 2011

"This is the fourth Subaru we have owned over the past 20 years and they have all been good cars. With routine maintenance, I have confidence that they would keep going and going like the proverbial bunny! The biggest downside for me is the underpowered performance of the 4 cyl engine but it IS nice on the gas mileage, even with AWD. Handling is great and we drive with confidence in all weather conditions. We wouldn't hesitate to keep buying Subarus!"

money pit!

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"I have owned this Subaru legacy wagon since 2004 (2003 model). Was fine for the first few years--I drove it alot, but in So Cal, so no extreme conditions. The brakes needed replacing on a too-frequent basis, and a year and a half ago, the AC died, which I have yet to replace. Just a few days ago, the temp gauge went past red consistently, so I took it in, and was told it has a blown head gasket! So, now, at 86K miles, another $3000 to fix. I've never owned a car that required this many repairs--(I have a 2001 Ford Excursion w/112,000 miles and nowhere near this kind of repair expense!) Will not buy another Subaru"

Lovin the Legacy GT L

By on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

"It's not the fastest sedan on the road, but it's a whole lot of fun especially if you have the 5-speed. I'm a teenager so believe me, I take this car through its paces and it holds up extremely well. If you take good care of a Subaru, it'll take good care of you. It handles great, especially in the snow. I love this car and Subaru definitely has me hooked."

wonderful GT

By on Friday, March 06, 2009

"I've put a ton of miles on mine and never had a real problem. Love the control via AWD!"

Absolutely loved this car

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "great fun to drive"

Cons: "older car with fewer safety options than newer"

"This car has never gotten stuck in the snow, never failed to start, was fun to drive and always got noticed by other drivers on the road. Loved the two-tone styling. Very comfortable and easy to handle."

Great car.

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Well built, reliable, all wheel drive, safe"

Cons: "Needs more power, a better auto trans"

"Still looks and drives like new. Best car I have ever owned. Not a squeak or a rattle after 9 years and 165,000 miles. Paint is like new,and it is not garge kept."

Good car for a fair price

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Easy repair, Sleek look, Well equiped"

Cons: "Not very fast"

"Reliable car that will get you from point a to b. sporty look for the price however lacking sport car performance when it comes to torque and horsepower. I recommend this car to anyone that wants a sleek look but isn't too concerned about how fast its quarter mile is."

I am in love with my vehicle!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "just about everything is a pro with my car"

Cons: "the clips have come loose from the door panels"

"I have never loved any of my vehicles but I do LOVE my Subaru. I have had my Legacy for 8 years now and she is my baby. I had never owned a Subaru before this one and now I dont think that I could ever go with any other vehicle. I have driven and had a toyota, a honda, a ford and a Chevy, and nothing comes close to the reliability and quality of my Legacy. They do not make the Legacy in the wagon anymore but I wish they did. Then I would consider trading my car in for another. I have gotten calls from Subaru and Nissan, both wanting to buy my car from me, but they do not stand a chance at prying this car from my hands."

best so far

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"i bought this car new. words cant discribe how much i love this car, this car will do everything and more to keep the driver happy. the looks,handling,and the inside of the car is luxury, but afordible for the working man. this car is the best car i've had."

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I've had this car for 8 years and it has been reliable. Great snow car. Today I got rear-ended and it's probably totaled. I'm heartbroken!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I've had this 1998 since 2003. Five years and 60,000 miles with no major problems. I'm in Erie, PA (snow belt) and this car has never left me stranded. It is amazing! Two minor issues: brakes seem to need checked and changed more often than they should and cup holder is in front of radio and other controls. With only these two issues? The car is great!"

hard-working car!

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"I've had my 98 wagon since 2000. She has 112000 miles on her, and hope she'll only have to drive city streets and highways from now on because she has worked HARD to rack up her miles, carrying research gear and doing some gnarly off-roading to get to research sites. On occasion, some extra clearance would have been helpful to both me and the car, but then again, this is a car, not a truck. I can't imagine any other car that would have held up as well. Original clutch. Only bad surprise was blown head gasket a year ago."

great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2008

"I have this care in the right hand drive version for delievering mail. has almost 200,000 miles on it and runs better then my other car! delievering mail is torture on ANY car but you cant beat a subaru for the job. great gas milage, AWD, and dependable. I would buy a brand new one in aheartbeat if subaru would make it, but they wont so I will keep the old girl going no matter what."

Love my Subaur

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"I have a 99 30th Anniversary L Wagon. I purchased it new in June 1999. I have almost 200,000 miles on it and have the original clutch and battery. This is the first new Subaru that I purchased and I would recommend a Subaru to anyone. They are expensive but they hold their value and are very reliable (it has never let me sit). I'm not a fan of regular maintenance but do oil changes every 3,000 miles. :-)"

Solid

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"First, the bad news; something for which there is a cure (for the truly initiated): the seats feel as though they were designed by someone without a spine. The balance of news is all good: after 97,000 miles, our 30th anniversary 1999 Legacy wagon tracks like a guided missile, feels planted and secure in any condition (if you like a big car feel without the unwanted disadvantages of a big car, have I got a car for you), generates an efficient and steady 26 mpg, is quite handsome in its champagne and chocolate (interior) getup, is UPS reliable, and generally gives the impression that it will run forever (hope I'm not jinxing myself, here). When we bought the car two years ago, the interior looked brand new; it was clear that the original owner had cared for this car. For anyone looking to buy a used car, heed this advice: A clean interior speaks of a careful and conscientious owner. If the inside is shabby beyond the car's years, turn and run. I've used this guiding philosophy (along with looking for other signs of carelessness, such as scruffy paint, dinged valance panels, and oily undersides..........get out and get under) for thirty years and five wonderful used cars. Please, don't begrudge your car regular maintenance and then expect it to do you favors. You wouldn't ask this of a friend, would you?"

GREAT for winter. Fun/Sporty. Has flaws, though.

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, AWD rocks, nicely loaded options"

Cons: "Small interior, road noise, motor power"

My Suby in it's natural environment

"It's great for the Fargo, ND winters. I've had it for 2 winters and you have to try and get stuck to get stuck! I bought it at 100K miles, and a lot has been repaired: Clutch, front brakes, timing belt component kit, tires, front/passenger bearing, catalytic converter, etc. The engine light is on for an O2 sensor and the Air Control Valve. The road noise is pretty bad. When driving into a strong head wind the lining around the windshield creates an annoying whistle. The manual can be frustrating at times. DESPITE all of this, I like it. The winter package is great, love the sun roof, the driver seat is comfy (not passenger) and it's sporty for summer, yet reliable for the winter. This really has been a great car, I just wish I would have been smarter when buying it. I guess it's common for this car to get bad head gaskets soon so if that happens she will be for $ale!"

My Suby in it's natural environment

AWD Sedan - Great Value!!!

By on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Pros: "All wheel drive sports sedan! Affordable!"

Cons: "30 mi. MPG on Hwy, mid-20s in the city"

"I just love when trucks get stuck on icy uphills in the winter and I pass them by with ease in my car."

Subaru lover for life

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

"Subaru has been apart of my family for years. This is the first one I'm own for myself as well as the first car I've purchased bran new off the lot. Still own, drive and love this car today!"