2001 Subaru Legacy

Based on 116 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

4th Subaru - That should say a lot

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "4WD, tight handling, good value"

Cons: "A little more maintenance than average"

"This is our fourth Subie. Others were: 98 Outback, 00 Legacy Wagon. Currently have this and an 06 Outback. I don't usually write reviews, I just leech off of others, however, Subaru deserves a few minutes of my time. These cars are well made. Feels/rides like a much heavier car. NOTHING can touch it in the rain/ice/snow, a foot of snow and it's like driving on dry pavement(almost). I was a car mechanic for many years. They do require a bit more maintenance than say, Honda, but I think it's worth it. The engine just went in the 06 Outback, timing belt failure, 157,000 miles. I trusted the previous owner that it had been changed. It has been changed now, along with the engine($3400). But that's how much I like and trust these cars. I put a new engine in an eight year old car(it's mint). So now I expect at least 300,000 miles out of it. Never had any major issues like that before in any of our Subies. The reason I put the engine story in is that these cars, underneath, haven't really changed since... a long time. Same 2.5 engine, same transmission. BTW, Subie automatics are more reliable than their sticks. Weird. Strong, safe, hold their value and the road. I can't see driving anything else."

Weak car overall

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Good in snow, nice feel on the road"

Cons: "disappointing gas mileage, way too many problems"

"I like the way this car drives, but that's about all. The AC quit at 7 years old and would cost $1500 to fix. The radio stopped being reliable at 5 years - now and then it works, but not always from the same speaker. It's on its third clutch (I've owned 14 standard transmission cars with no clutch replacements and with more miles on the car). It developed a head gasket antifreeze leak at about 90,000 mi. The catalytic converter needed replacement at about 50,000 mi. I got the car new and have maintained it regularly, but that hasn't helped."

Great car, good gas miliage, easy to maintain

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to maintain"

Cons: "rust in rear door frames, wind noise."

"Very nice car."

NICE, PRACTICAL CAR

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Good handling, reliable, pratical"

Cons: "Wind noise, transmission"

"I think this car is quite good. Handling is surprisingly good, Power is adequate. Ergonomics are better than average. The four speed automatic has large gaps between gears and seems to shift at unexpected times under kick-down conditions or when manually controlling downshifts. Wind noise from A pillar/mirror area is atrocious."

Great dependable car

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, strong"

Cons: "Tight interior for 5 people, gas mileage is so-so"

"I bought mine used and have had it a few years. The one thing they tend to get is a tap in the engine when they are warming up. Mine had the tap when I bought it and have driven it steady for 3 years without a problem, it goes away after the car warms up. The body is very rust resistant and mine has requires very little to no maintenance. Gas mileage is not so great even for a 4 cylinder it averages between 20 and 23 MPG. Interior is comfortable but 3 people in the back seat is tight. so if you have 3 kids look for something bigger."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25