2000 Subaru Legacy

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

very safe

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"I had the pleasure of owning my 2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan for over 2 years. I had always wanted a Subaru, and am so glad I finally got to. In Oct. 2009 a vehicle turning left from the opposite direction of traffic, right infront of me on the highway. Despite my best effort to slam on the brakes, I t-boned the other driver at highway speeds. The impact was horrendous. All of the safety features performed exactly as they should and as a result my 4 year old son and I walked away from the crash. Unfortunately, and sadly, the car was totalled. I will own another Subaru Legacy as soon as I can! I firmly believe that car saved me and my son from more severe injuries, if not death!"

Predictable Problems

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Most "minor fixes" are fairly cheap"

Cons: "Often requires the same big ticket repair issues"

"Several talented mechanics have worked on my Legacy Wagon in the four or five years we have owned it. It starts reliably, is heavy (also read: mediocre gas mileage, currently 19 MPG), holds the road well in the snow, and seats five pretty comfortably, although not for long trips. The problem is that Subaru has had some long-term design issues with this car that they have never really addressed. At 105k miles you should do the timing belt. Okay, that's true for lots of cars. This model has a "piston slap" that makes it run rough for the first few minutes after you start it, but my mechanics say that there doesn't seem to be either a real fix nor a long-term negative implication of this issue. However, too, too many of this model (including mine), blow a head gasket at about 120k miles. You can spend the extra $700 bucks on fixing this proactively when you do the timing belt, but, of course, YOUR car may not need it and $700 is a lot of proactive maintenance! Also, I've had Subaru-trained mechanics tell me that they think after-market parts are BETTER quality than the originals when it comes to replacing the head gasket, but that there is no guarantee that it won't blow again either way, this time after only 50k miles or so. So, you can do your $1200 timing belt, come back in a year and do the $1800 head gasket, and then, by the way, the catalytic converter is likely to die anytime around 125k. That's another $800 or more. So, you have a car that, assuming it hasn't rusted, is still running 1.5 years later, but for $3800 worth of big-ticket bills, you have 1.5 more years of car. Thing is, at $215 a month, that's what it costs for 18 months of a brand new, fuel efficient car, not a ten-year-old car. Maybe yours won't develop the problems, but from what I hear, that is more the exception than the rule. Want to play car lottery?"

Smartest Buy I Ever Made

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"I bought this car at a time when I couldn't afford milk let alone a car with a car payment. Yet it has surprisingly been the best purchase I have ever made. Sometimes impulsive decisions do pan out! I've owned my subaru for almost 4 years. It has traveled across the nation many times, taken me on numerous adventures, but most of all is a safe and reliable for both my daughter and I. This car gets me to work every day, on time, through all kinds of ND weather. This car always starts. This car powers through snow drifts when other 4x4 trucks struggle..(yes that is true). If it's possible for a human to love their car, I do. Thanks Subaru."

Reliable, Safe, and a Joy to Drive

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "AWD, Good value, safety ratings"

Cons: "Fuel Economy could be better"

"I've owned this car for 12 years and it was well worth the sticker price. Didn't have any major maintenance issues and always felt safe driving it."

Will only buy a Subaru now....

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"I bought my 2000 Subaru Legacy in 2002, and in the past 8 years, it's run like a champ! Anything needing updated or repaired has been general maintenance and minor. I know nothing about vehicle upkeep and it has run great for me year after year! I live in the snowbelt of western NY and we get pounded every winter, however, I can plow thru snow piles and always manuever effortlessly each year! Amazing and highly recommended!"