1999 Subaru Legacy

Based on 293 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

We bought it used in 1997

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"It had 28000 miles on it. It now has 120000, combination of city and roadtrip in Wisconsin. We changed the timing belt at 75k, alternator at 105K, and battery at 110000k. Brakes were done at 85k. Tires need to be rotated every 6k, but that is free with purchase. That is it. We get 30 mpg at 60 mph, 25 mpg at 70. Great car - carries a canoe, split back fold down rear seats accommodate paddles or skis. Only drawback is the 12 gallon tank makes for frequent fillups on road trips. I still have no hesitation about taking it to Montana. Great car!"

Best, most reliable car we've ever owned.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, well built, tough as nails."

Cons: "really, none."

"great car."

The best car I've ever owned; will buy another!

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "Very useful for hauling lumber, surf boards, etc. Comfortable on long drives."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system, more adjustments on the drivers' seat."

"The most reliable, best driving car I've ever owned. The brakes, water pump, alternator and other 'short life' parts seem to last about 3 times longer than other cars. I have driven it off road where I would not take a "regular" car, and it feels great on the highway, too. The all wheel drive was noticeable the first day I bought it and drove it home in the pouring rain. It grabbed the road like it was dry, and hugged it like no car I've ever driven, including Porsche and Mercedes. I've had it for 7 years, put nearly 200000 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it long distance tomorrow. My next car will be a Subaru. I highly recommend it to you. You'll see why I love it as soon as you drive it!"

Nice little car

By on Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reason: Got a newer model

Pros: "Fun to drive, durable"

Cons: "As they get older the need more repairs"

"My little brown Subaru came to me as a freebie from my mom, I loved it, it was my first car. While over the years it began to not look so pretty it still ran great, and the key wore out before the car. I had such a good experience with this Subaru I went and got a brand new Impreza! I would recommend, even if it has a lot of miles (and I know it will) it will get you everywhere you want to go."

Not overly powerful but not underwhelming

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pros: "Great bang for the buck"

Cons: "no turbo :("

"Great winter vehicle good summer vehicle. This car from factory has a fuse in the front to switch from all wheel drive to just front wheel drive which is great because it gives me 5 mpg more than AWD also gives it a bit more power which is also great when its hot out and you wanna run the a/c but don't wanna be out of power. Speaking of hot if you plan to buy a wagon the whole cabin becomes a greenhouse in the sun so be forewarned maybe put the windows down a hair. I've owned my subaru wagon for 3 years with zero regrets. I accidentally gave it a little more oil than I was supposed (like a quart) which pushed it past my valve cover gasket and onto my exhaust and it smelled for quite some time but I replaced my valve cover gasket and there was no adverse effects on the motor. The car is very controllable in the snow and ice, sideways when you put some(half) pedal down or dead on when you want it(Honestly we've all seen the rally subarus and the car should always be sideways) the controllable bit in the snow is in AWD of course, front wheel drive you have a lot of understeer but still driveable with decent tires. The doors are incredibly light feeling when you open them up. I would honestly buy this car several times over. Great fun, great times."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pros: "Everything about an Outback is excellent."

"The Subaru Outback is one of the best vehicles on the market. It is extremely versatile. I have a full size Chevy truck but haul everything that does not require a trailer in my Subie. The rubber mat in the back keeps it clean, and the fold down seats offers more cargo space than generally needed. I regularly throw the kayak on top and cruise down the freeway without any problems. The interior (in a limited) is wonderfully designed. The leather is top quality and shows little wear over time. Driveability is excellent. You can throw it in a curve like a coupe and it powers through superbly. Honda Civics can't keep up, that's for sure. The all-wheel drive systems keeps it rockin even in the snow, which makes for a great day of snowboarding when everybody else is stuck indoors. I have nothing bad to say about the Outback....now go get you one!"

My Mail Car

By on Monday, February 9, 2009

"I purchased mine new in 1997. It is a right hand drive built for mail delivery. I have used it in all kinds of weather including snow and it has performed perfectly. It's 12 yrs old and still working great. I'm retired now and sold the Subaru to another carrier in my Post Office. They are tough little cars!"

Inherited this car; dependable but uncomfortable

By on Saturday, January 3, 2015

Pros: "good winter car in upstate NY"

Cons: "uncomfortable and console controls locations odd"

"Very reliable but front seats are very uncomfortable and have had trouble with back lift gate not operating. Gas mileage is good, but not great about 25 mpg."

a tank!

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Cons: "cons??"

"wonderful car! 3rd Subaru and I cant wait for my 4th! 200k mile club...hoping to get to 300k and i feel like that is a very real possibility."

Great Car so far

By on Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pros: "Useful (wagon), AWD is great for avoiding winter accidents"

"I bought this car with 114000 miles and it's done great. I love having a wagon that I can load with bikes, construction materials, etc. but also get decent mileage. It seems like I get about 24 mpg around town and 26 ish on the highway. Repairs have been average for a car with this many miles."