1999 Subaru Legacy

Based on 291 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Best car ever

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "AWD goes threw almost anything"

Cons: "manually adjustable seats, not enough cup holders"

"This is the best car i have ever owned, i can get threw almost anything (living in Michigan) snow up to the bumper etc, the handling is superb, mileage is fair. The construction of this car is superb. Interior lacks the expected XX-L United states standard drink holder and electrically adjusted seats, but heated cloth seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers keep me warm in the winter. We use this car to pull our small boat to the lake and back as well as it being the everyday car."

Fantastic car/value

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This car requires about as much maintenance as a shovel. It just runs and runs and runs, stone reliable, and I wouldn't hesitate to punch up the cruise and drive it coast to coast. Never fails in any weather, and is just a joy to drive in the snow. The seats aren't great if you're tall, and the tank is on the small side, but this are nits. It's super-practical, and a super value. Ours has 153,000+ on the odo, and just keeps begging for more. Performance-wise, it's not fast, but if you're looking for a fast car, you wouldn't be considering a Subie Legacy! It's great at what it does, which is haul things and people without nary a whimper."

We bought it used in 1997

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"It had 28000 miles on it. It now has 120000, combination of city and roadtrip in Wisconsin. We changed the timing belt at 75k, alternator at 105K, and battery at 110000k. Brakes were done at 85k. Tires need to be rotated every 6k, but that is free with purchase. That is it. We get 30 mpg at 60 mph, 25 mpg at 70. Great car - carries a canoe, split back fold down rear seats accommodate paddles or skis. Only drawback is the 12 gallon tank makes for frequent fillups on road trips. I still have no hesitation about taking it to Montana. Great car!"

Not overly powerful but not underwhelming

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Great bang for the buck"

Cons: "no turbo :("

"Great winter vehicle good summer vehicle. This car from factory has a fuse in the front to switch from all wheel drive to just front wheel drive which is great because it gives me 5 mpg more than AWD also gives it a bit more power which is also great when its hot out and you wanna run the a/c but don't wanna be out of power. Speaking of hot if you plan to buy a wagon the whole cabin becomes a greenhouse in the sun so be forewarned maybe put the windows down a hair. I've owned my subaru wagon for 3 years with zero regrets. I accidentally gave it a little more oil than I was supposed (like a quart) which pushed it past my valve cover gasket and onto my exhaust and it smelled for quite some time but I replaced my valve cover gasket and there was no adverse effects on the motor. The car is very controllable in the snow and ice, sideways when you put some(half) pedal down or dead on when you want it(Honestly we've all seen the rally subarus and the car should always be sideways) the controllable bit in the snow is in AWD of course, front wheel drive you have a lot of understeer but still driveable with decent tires. The doors are incredibly light feeling when you open them up. I would honestly buy this car several times over. Great fun, great times."

Best, most reliable car we've ever owned.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, well built, tough as nails."

Cons: "really, none."

"great car."