1999 Subaru Legacy

Based on 283 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

A Great car for its time...

By on Monday, March 16, 2015

Pros: "AWD,Safety,Good MPG"

Cons: "Stereo,Weird Cup Holders"

"I've had two of these cars, One a wagon and this one the sedan. I bought this car knowing it would last a long time and after 5 years and 60k Miles it still runs great. I bought it with 148k miles with one prior owner. It's now just over 200k Miles and still starts every morning and runs great. No Check engine lights or any warning lights. Granted it does show its age a bit due to the last owner having dogs with scratches in the paint and a few marks on the door trim. Other than those parts the car looks as if its new. In the 5 years I've had it I've only had to do Oil changes and tires as well as the usual PM to the car. It was only recently that I had a problem when I drove from Nashville,TN to Reno, NV in which 100 miles from Reno the Driver front bearing went out and took the CV Joint and Hub with it. I ended up making it to a shop in Reno, NV and replaced the Hub with a pre-pressed Hub for $30.00 and a New CV Joint for $60.00 I also replaced the brakes as they had a little wear on them from the damage but overall it was an easy fix and only took a couple hours to fix. Since then this car has been running just as good as before if not better. It is really great in the snow and slippery weather and also is true to the Subaru name and has plenty of pep to keep up with new cars on the road. The Factory stereo was good but the tape deck didn't work and it was under powered. I eneded up replacing the deck with a Pioneer unit and it was much better but being a car of its age the factory speakers started to stop working and I replaced them with 4 6.5 Pioneers. It was easy to replace the front but the trunk speakers were not easy and I would recommend Best Buy to do it for you so that nothing is broken in the process. As far as features there are other cars of this year. It has the basics like Cruise control but can be a little annyoing as you need to press another button to turn it on then set it. But it works great. The steering is like all Subarus where you feel the most control even in the worst of situations. This car has saved me many times during a snow storm. As far as gas mileage it gets a decent 350-400 a tank during road trips and in the city it can do close to 325 a tank. But it all depends on how you drive, even if you race it it seems to still get good gas mileage. As far as safety this car is very safe and good for first time drivers such as kids. Having owned another subaru like it in the past I can attest this car is very safe and will keep you from getting too hurt as I was in an accident where someone hit me from the side towards the front passagener side in which knocked the engine loose and totalled the car but I was safe with just a few bruises from the seat belts. The ride of the car is great and is very smooth for a car of its height and weight, it gives you the a good feeling on those curvy roads and is very comfortable for road trips. The 5 Speed transmission is smooth but the engine could use a 6 speed transmission as at 65-70 Mph the engine is close to 3000RPM which can be loud at times if you don't have music playing. Overall I would recommend this car even with high mileage as this would be a great car for parents with kids learning to drive or going to college as the cost of ownership is very low and will last for years."

great snow machine, and reliable.

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Pros: "good value and very utilititarian"

Cons: "tiny and somewhat noisy, road and engine"

"this is my fourth Subaru. I started with a Brat, which I think was a 1972. Yeah, I'm an old codger, but I love cars and have owned many. (30+) Suby's are great, economical and perform well in snow, rain and icy conditions."

Great car awesome value

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

"honestly may not be the "coolest" car but extremely reliable. Never had any problems with the car. Great all around love the awd great in all weather"

great in bad weather

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Drives good in snow and ice. But has a lot of road noise all the time.."

Inherited this car; dependable but uncomfortable

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "good winter car in upstate NY"

Cons: "uncomfortable and console controls locations odd"

"Very reliable but front seats are very uncomfortable and have had trouble with back lift gate not operating. Gas mileage is good, but not great about 25 mpg."