1998 Subaru Legacy

Based on 285 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Excellent car overall, but something to be aware o

By on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"While I purchased this Outback Limited used (68,000 miles, second owner), it has performed admirably in all weather and driving circumstances. Overall, a fine vehicle. The AWD is excellent in the snow, as Subarus are famous for, but many owners swear by using more aggressive tires in the winter. I can attest to this making a big difference. One thing to be aware of is the EJ25 engine which is standard in the Outback model. This particular engine is prone to blowing head gaskets in this generation of production and Subaru is aware of the issue but is unwilling to address it. The cause is original head gaskets speced at .3000 thickness rather than the current replacements at .5000. The average cost of repair is $1800 at a Subaru dealership. Having this repair done at any other garage means that they MUST be familiar with the idiosyncracies of the Subaru boxer engine. It occurs to a significant percentage of vehicles from 1996-2000. The first clue to a failure is overheating without coolant loss at first. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm watchful. Also, make sure you replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles or sooner. The EJ25 is an "interference" engine and will cause valve train damage if the belt breaks. Many owners replace the timing pulleys and water pump at this time procatively to save issues and extra labor costs."

There is a reason people love Subarus

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"I bought this car 9 years ago with 173K miles. It's now got about 238K and is still running pretty well. It's needed replacement parts as things wore out, but nothing major. We've gone on a lot of long road trips, including one from NYC to Oregon and back, and the car just keeps going. I love how it handles--the AWD keeps it hugging the road, even in mud, snow, or rain puddles. Some people might not like the slightly jerky shifting, since you can definitely tell when the car is going up a gear. I find it reassuring, since I learned to drive on a standard shift. Aside from that, this car is fun to drive. I obey the speed limit, so I couldn't say how quickly it goes, but it can definitely handle regular highway speeds, and it had no problem doing 75 when we were in Montana and Wyoming. It responds quickly, it feels almost like it already knows what I want it to do! It has a lot more cargo and passenger space than you'd think, looking at it from the outside. We always ask the back seat passengers if they need more room, and they always say they have plenty. I didn't believe them until I gave up the driver's seat and rode back there: there actually IS leg room for the back passengers! The other great thing, in my opinion, is the gas mileage. We've got about as much space inside as a Hummer (a little less head room), but even with the car loaded down for a car camping trip, with the A/C running full blast, we get 28-32 mpg. The only reason I would buy a car other than a Subaru is if I regularly needed space for more than 4 people in the car (it does have 3 seats in the back, but it gets a little cramped if there are 3 adult passengers back there, and it would definitely get crowded with multiple carseats)."

VERY TOUGH CAR

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pros: "Great traction and bad weather capability."

Cons: "Gas mileage average. Hard seats."

"This is our 4th Subaru. It has 200,000 miles on it in all kinds of driving conditions. If you match it with the correct tires, it will go almost anywhere and get you back safely. While it has a spartan appearance inside and out, the car is well made. If you take reasonable care of it, you can expect 250000+ miles from it. Even if you don't abuse it too much, you'll easily get 150000+. It won't win any drag races and the gas mileage is average due to the all wheel drive. But it is VERY dependable. Once you hit 120000 miles expect about $1200/year in annual maintainence costs or roughly $100/mth. What can you drive that is dependable for $100 month? It's carrying capacity is enormous! With the seats down, I've brought home a: electric range in the box, a 32" big tube sony TV in the box and a 55" flat screen in the box. Everyone told me none of these would fit. When I closed the tailgate the service people were amazed. If you need solid, dependable transportation and hauling capacity, this is your car. Come rain, shine, dirt, sand or snow, it will get you home and back."

Amazing in the snow

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "great price and dependable..."

Cons: "Very large"

"I have over 225,000 miles on this car. Bought it for a steal, $600, and have never been more pleased with a purchase. The interior is spacious, the gas mileage is reasonable, and the insurance is cheap. What could be better. The car cleans up really well and the paint has not lost it's luster in over 16 years. I would suggest that any first time car buyer with a limited budget test drive this vehicle. It will not let you down!!!!"

Great car

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"I got this car when it had 94,000 miles on it. It now has 228,780 on it. It is used everyday on a motor route, 365 days a year. It gets oil changes once a month. It is auto and awd. It will go where ever you are brave enough to stick it's little nose. Shame they change the shape in 2001. The newer ones are not near as comphy as this one is. I bought a 2004 Outback and kept it for about 2 weeks and got rid of it. Just too small inside. This is a great car and am looking for another one right now."