1996 Subaru Legacy

Based on 293 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

One Reliable Car

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Bought this car new over 12 years ago, and it has been incredibly reliable and versatile of use. Great capacity for loading in large items (gas barbeques, ladders, 11 foot market umbrellas etc.), comfortable passenger car, wonderful visibility from the driver's point of view and handles well in all road situations and weathers."

Nice little car

By on Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reason: Got a newer model

Pros: "Fun to drive, durable"

Cons: "As they get older the need more repairs"

"My little brown Subaru came to me as a freebie from my mom, I loved it, it was my first car. While over the years it began to not look so pretty it still ran great, and the key wore out before the car. I had such a good experience with this Subaru I went and got a brand new Impreza! I would recommend, even if it has a lot of miles (and I know it will) it will get you everywhere you want to go."

a great car

By on Friday, January 4, 2013

"drives thru blizzards that stop hummers, a great value, and i am reluctant to sell it."

1999 Legacy Outback

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"When buying, make SURE you get it checked by a mechanic BEFORE signing the dotted line. Bought ours used for $3,700 @ 166K miles and one week later paid $3,600 in maintenance fees--timing belt, head gasket, re-tooled brakes, leaky seals, and more. Could've had a brand new KIA for that money, but I feel like my 20 yr old daughter will be safer in this car as she drives 450 miles one way to and from school several times a year. The mechanic also says it's a very good car and shouldn't need anything else done for a very long time. Says it will hold its value well."

a trusty friend...

By on Friday, April 9, 2010

"I purchased my 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT in 2001 with 34K. It now has 201K and is still plugging along. There've been a few hiccups down the road: replaced head gaskets at 120K, along with timing belt, water pump, & thermostat (YIKES); replaced the C/V shafts/boots twice in 2 years; engine leaks oil and have recently run into power steering problems. However, the car itself handles great, gets ok gas mileage (20-22mpg), and the AWD was worth every penny. I live in North Dakota, and being able to power through snow drifts has been a huge plus. The acceleration is just powerful, and i do love my subaru! sadly, i'll be trading it in soon for a less thrilling (nonAWD) vehicle. I drive 2500 highway miles a month, and gas mileage is far too important these days! subarus seem to last forever - my dad's outback finally died at 313K. if you can handle the repair cost, you'll love your subaru too!"