1995 Subaru Legacy

Based on 276 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

I adored my first car!

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Great Interior/Exterior, Runs forever"

Cons: "My power outlets/outside antennae never worked"

"My Subaru Legacy GT is such a trooper. The only problems I EVER had was due to my fluids neglect and luckily, still runs like a champ. I believe the quality building for this model is spot on and I hope to continue to own Legacys throughout my life."

got me thru thick, thin,Very reliable. feel safe!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Reliable. Safe, Solid, and it GOES!"

Cons: "dash brd. layout & floor mats weren't great"

"My out back has been great! I feel safe in it (solid), reliable, nice amount of cargo area. I do not know engines, but the pickup when I step on the gas is one of those things that make me feel safe. The body has held up what I would say as great! under WI winters & humidity. One small bubble by rear hub, and only a couple of door scratches (not dings) that show no signs of rust. Not bad for a '98. Design wise: door map pocket need rain/snow protection, cupholder design sucks, smoother control panels would be easier to keep clean, grey fabric choice ugly. exterior paint color is kind of a peacock green, Awesome! air scoop on hood looks sporty but am not sure if it's functional ( all the guys like it :) removable cargo tray super. Big picture, GREAT CAR!"

What a Car!!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Superb car"

Cons: "AROUND Dallas almost unknown"

"Handles better than most sport cars; only best Audi AWD compares in snow and ice; most reliable car I know. Also own Porsches; my Porsche dealer lent me Subaru when 928 in shop (often, long and expensive) then realized Subaru much more reliable and almost as much fun to drive (stick shift ONLY). SW has great balance and great capacity. Showing some wear at 150000 miles !!"

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, handling, sportiness, driving in snow"

Cons: "Paint has faded, but it is 15 years old."

"Very reliable. Only failed to get me where I wanted to go once, because of dead battery. I have the 30th Anniversary Legacy GT with sports suspension. The car handles well and is fun to drive. It feels like it is glued to the road. The paint has faded some, but it otherwise looks great. It drives great in snow."

very dependable n comfotable

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

"engine w 40,000 miles replaced 3 yrs ago, new tires w < 4000 miles, all new transaxles in front, radiator, water pump, timing belt, thermostat. small paint dings on exterior, interior nice."

Best, like energerizer bunny-keeps going

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "*endurance*"

"I think you could take turns driving, go straight to California, come back non-stop and the little car would be ready to go again."

good work and/or second car

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "4 new tires plus 4 rims with snow tires"

Cons: "high milage"

"good work car"

This car has new head-gasket, full tune up, works

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "one of the best cars I HAVE OWNED, FUN TO DRIVE ,"

Cons: "NOT MY FAVORITE COLOR white"

"excellent car to drive and own very SPORTY CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN nice car everyone says it a cool looking car, looks fast and is"

Most reliable car ive ever owned. fun to drive

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Reliable Roomy AWD 25MPG Looks Good"

Cons: "its not a ferarri"

"I love driving my subaru its fast enough and handles great on the corners super reliable never left me stranded its comfortable and has plenty of room to sleep in camp in move stuff with or bring the dogs to the lake. its a joyful Subie and i have had toyota's honda's mazda's but will never go back after owning a Subaru"

Fabulous car; over 228,000 miles, no problems

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Absolutely reliable car."

"This is a great car. I bought it new. I have the 30th anniversary edition, and I'd like a new car, but this Outback just goes and goes and goes. I keep up the maintenance, and I've never been left stranded with this vehicle. When I buy a new car, it's going to be another Subaru Outback, and at my age, it'll probably be the last car I'll ever buy if the new one is as good as this 1999 Outback."

A 1999 car that is outstanding for a 15 yr old car

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, quiet, smooth running, comfortable"

Cons: "Sedate" acceleration"

These four photos show the car from different angles

"This is a 1999 Subaru Outback, white, with lots of options except for a sun-roof. It has 148,000 miles and had a $2,000 transmission and cylinder head gasket replacement about 2,000 miles ago. It runs very quietly and smoothly, starts easily in all weather, and almost everything works. The tires are good all-seasons with about 60% tread remaining, brakes are good front and back. Engine uses virtually no oil. The last 10,000 miles it has covered have been on commutes between central Vermont and Hartford, CT; pretty much 65 mph on cruise control all the way. The two things that don't work are: 1) speedometer, which works intermittently; and 2) the rear gate locking mechanism is corroded so rear gate presently does not open."

These four photos show the car from different angles

Loved my Subaru - I will miss it.

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"We had a lot of miles together. I kept telling people that I was going to have to shoot it. Sure, it was on it's third clutch, but that was me, not the car. It had some minor repairs over the years, but all in all it was a very reliable car and I would not have had to replace it except for the fact that it was totalled when another driver ran a red light and hit me. ;0("

The best cars I've ever owned- 15 Years

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "good value and dependable"

Cons: "seats uncomfortable for a big guy;not roomy inside"

"Subaru makes a great vehicle all things consided ; I have owned 4 Subarus."

Overrated

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Spacious. Economical. Safe."

Cons: "Motor. Aesthetics."

"Before buying this car: (1)Make sure the head gaskets and timing belts have been replaced. (2)Consider buying a 2.2L H4, 3.0L H6 or the 2.5L H4 turbo. Blowing an OE/stock head gasket on the 1996-2004 DOHC 2.5L H4 motor is very common, but the aftermarket/replaced head gaskets should last for the life of the car. Also, breaking timing belts and pulleys is common on Subarus with more than 70k on their timing belt. And, if the one of the timing belt pulleys wear-out or if the belt breaks the DOHC 2.5L motor will be destroyed, due to valve-piston interference. The AWD transmission definitely helps it excel in the snow. Put snow tires on it, and it seems unstoppable. However, it's more FWD, since its torque is divided 80/20, and therefore it doesn't compare to the newer (05+) symmetrical AWD. Its 165 horsepower is hardly sufficient for driving up mountains, but it does fairly well on flat highway and city streets. I get an average of 23.6 mpg. Overall, it's an okay car if you get it for a good price and if its head gaskets and timing belt and pulleys have been replaced. But if I were to repurchase in the same price range, I would buy a Subaru with the SOHC 2.2L or SOHC 2.5L motor or the the 3.0L H6 motor, as they do not have the same head gasket/timing belt issues, making them a lot more reliable. (Although, it's still a good idea to insure the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump have been replaced on a car with more than 100k, as well as other parts such as shocks and spark plugs.)"

Terrific car! NEVER had any problems.

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "It's the very best car I've ever owned."

Cons: "Developed the "Subaru slap""

"I want a new car, but I hate to give this one up. It's been (and still is) fabulous. The only annoyance is that at around 100,000 miles it developed the "Subaru slap," but the car is totally reliable. I'm definitely going to buy another Subaru, and I really like the Outback. I just can't give this one up!"

LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "reliable, long life, great space, safe"

Cons: "Low riding, difficult for older ppl to get out of"

"This car is soooooo reliable! Every time I've had to get something fixed the mechanics will tell me how great of a car it is! One time my car started making a terrible noise. I drove it up to the mechanics and they showed me that somehow a bolt (don't remember what it was called but it was about 1/2 inch thick and had something to do with the gear shift) had severely bent and had to be replaced. They said any other car would not have been able to run but that Subaru's will just keep going and going. I'm up to 240,000 and my car is still in great condition. I've had to replace a few things but it's very reliable and I do NOT want to get a new car that I can't trust. When the time comes I will stick with Subaru."

Dependable, peppy wagon

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun, peppy, dream car"

Cons: "cup holder stuck in open position"

"Smooth riding, dependable, peppy vehicle. First time Subaru owner. Bought it used (15 years old) with about 155000 miles. Didn't pass smog 1st time, 1.11 CO at idle, and only 1.00 allowed to pass. So, after research, changed oil, added Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to full gas tank, then did an "Italian tune up" (get on freeway and "floor it" to 80-85, a few times, then took in to re-smog it. PASSED. (But this time HC were really high, but passing, at idle as a result of the "tune up", I guess.) After just a couple of hours of driving, and 2 days, have fallen in love with this little gem! It's a dream. Previous owner took great care of it and was in excellent condition. Lovin it."

I am original owner ,its been their for me ,(best

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Leather.heated seats, AC,cargo shade,mat,net"

Cons: "Minor exterior nicks and scratches"

"vehicle ever)never to break down and the best buddy I ever had.With a little bit of care ,it will do the same for you. Its me that is breaking down and can't give it the upkeep anymore and will break my heart the day we have to part. two new michlen tires Rear, SKIPPY"

I love my Subaru

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "love the sun roof, easy and fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holder is jammed shut :("

"Got it used, has a few parking lot dings, but its comfy and roomy, gets good mileage and it runs, runs, runs. We're in southern Oregon and taking her 4 hours north to Portland is a breeze and I don't get tired going on an 8 hour road trip to Seattle. She's easy and comfortable to drive. ^.^"

Best car ever!

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Dependable fast corning well ballanced roomie"

My 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 2.5

"I cant seem to find anything wrong nor can I say anything bad about my Subaru, in fact it has been the best car I have ever owned. I've never owned a Subaru before I got my Legacy GT wagon I kinda had no choice at that point because of my credit score, so I had to build my credit so I bought it. I only planned on keeping it until I got it paid off then I was going to use it as a trade so I could upgrade, but a strange thing happened I started to enjoy it the more I drove it. It handled like no other car I've ever owned before, very reliable and never had an issue with it. I paid this car off over three years ago and cant seem to want to let it go. Very good gas millage and very fast lol wont say how fast but I will say this much it's faster then your average bear. I gave this car a 10/10 because of it's reliability looks and everything. I have never gave a perfect 10 on anything not even my girlfriends. You must drive one to understand what I'm saying."

My 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 2.5

Not overly powerful but not underwhelming

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Great bang for the buck"

Cons: "no turbo :("

"Great winter vehicle good summer vehicle. This car from factory has a fuse in the front to switch from all wheel drive to just front wheel drive which is great because it gives me 5 mpg more than AWD also gives it a bit more power which is also great when its hot out and you wanna run the a/c but don't wanna be out of power. Speaking of hot if you plan to buy a wagon the whole cabin becomes a greenhouse in the sun so be forewarned maybe put the windows down a hair. I've owned my subaru wagon for 3 years with zero regrets. I accidentally gave it a little more oil than I was supposed (like a quart) which pushed it past my valve cover gasket and onto my exhaust and it smelled for quite some time but I replaced my valve cover gasket and there was no adverse effects on the motor. The car is very controllable in the snow and ice, sideways when you put some(half) pedal down or dead on when you want it(Honestly we've all seen the rally subarus and the car should always be sideways) the controllable bit in the snow is in AWD of course, front wheel drive you have a lot of understeer but still driveable with decent tires. The doors are incredibly light feeling when you open them up. I would honestly buy this car several times over. Great fun, great times."

Love Subarus

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "good winter driving, comfortable, roomy back"

Cons: "windy noise"

"This is the first Subaru we bought and we have really liked it. It is very good on our winter roads here in New England. We have always felt very safe in it because of its construction and its safety ratings. We found it a little noisy as if the window was down a little. We have had to replace the muffler- not unusual because of winter salting on the roads. Other than that it has given us very few problems. I bought a new Subaru Outback in 2012 and am delighted with it, too. I think we'll always be Subaru owners."

The official car of NE

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Great little car....very peppy"

Cons: "There are so many of these up here......it can be"

"I recently moved to NE,...Noticed that 40-50% of the cars I see are Subaru......purchased this RU for a negotiated $800......has usual rust in body, some of which have (attempted) repairs...runs GREAT.....very peppy.....seats comfortable enough for hours.....decent + stereo (Cas).... VERY good brakes.....dash layout is good , EXCEPT: who puts drink/cup holder in a position that BLOCKS the stereo?????? Just make certain that if you buy ANY Subaru and you DON'T have PROOF that the timing belt has been changed, count on that as an immediate expense."

Awesome Vehichle

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "a blast to drive"

Cons: "cup holders,"

"I bought this car at 165000 it now has 172000. In the snow up to my door i was plowing through everything. In the rain it excels. and the corners you can really throw the car into the apex late and get on the gas hard acceleration on exit, and feel very confident in doing so. Mine is the l model which has a soft suspension almost like a Buick. It is relatively cheap to fix and there ARE A BOATLOAD of add on to make this thing move. Try A Suby and join the Experience"

the subaru legacy 1998

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "pretty much great for everything."

Cons: "could be a lil more confurtabal."

"This car is amazing if u get it in good condition, and good millage. I`ve only had to fix a few things on it and it wasn't much. I have had this car for a year and a half now and it is amazing in all seasons. senses I've had it the breaks had to get changed, because they where never changed and new tiers that's all otherwise it a great car and a great buy:)"