1995 Subaru Legacy

Based on 288 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Would've seen 300,000 miles

By on Monday, June 01, 2015

"Totaled. Not my fault. Was such an awesome little car and had so much more life left in it. Very sad."

Great car

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"I got this car when it had 94,000 miles on it. It now has 228,780 on it. It is used everyday on a motor route, 365 days a year. It gets oil changes once a month. It is auto and awd. It will go where ever you are brave enough to stick it's little nose. Shame they change the shape in 2001. The newer ones are not near as comphy as this one is. I bought a 2004 Outback and kept it for about 2 weeks and got rid of it. Just too small inside. This is a great car and am looking for another one right now."

Awesome Vehichle

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "a blast to drive"

Cons: "cup holders,"

"I bought this car at 165000 it now has 172000. In the snow up to my door i was plowing through everything. In the rain it excels. and the corners you can really throw the car into the apex late and get on the gas hard acceleration on exit, and feel very confident in doing so. Mine is the l model which has a soft suspension almost like a Buick. It is relatively cheap to fix and there ARE A BOATLOAD of add on to make this thing move. Try A Suby and join the Experience"

Best car ever

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "AWD goes threw almost anything"

Cons: "manually adjustable seats, not enough cup holders"

"This is the best car i have ever owned, i can get threw almost anything (living in Michigan) snow up to the bumper etc, the handling is superb, mileage is fair. The construction of this car is superb. Interior lacks the expected XX-L United states standard drink holder and electrically adjusted seats, but heated cloth seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers keep me warm in the winter. We use this car to pull our small boat to the lake and back as well as it being the everyday car."

Fantastic car/value

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This car requires about as much maintenance as a shovel. It just runs and runs and runs, stone reliable, and I wouldn't hesitate to punch up the cruise and drive it coast to coast. Never fails in any weather, and is just a joy to drive in the snow. The seats aren't great if you're tall, and the tank is on the small side, but this are nits. It's super-practical, and a super value. Ours has 153,000+ on the odo, and just keeps begging for more. Performance-wise, it's not fast, but if you're looking for a fast car, you wouldn't be considering a Subie Legacy! It's great at what it does, which is haul things and people without nary a whimper."

The best car I've ever owned; will buy another!

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "Very useful for hauling lumber, surf boards, etc. Comfortable on long drives."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system, more adjustments on the drivers' seat."

"The most reliable, best driving car I've ever owned. The brakes, water pump, alternator and other 'short life' parts seem to last about 3 times longer than other cars. I have driven it off road where I would not take a "regular" car, and it feels great on the highway, too. The all wheel drive was noticeable the first day I bought it and drove it home in the pouring rain. It grabbed the road like it was dry, and hugged it like no car I've ever driven, including Porsche and Mercedes. I've had it for 7 years, put nearly 200000 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it long distance tomorrow. My next car will be a Subaru. I highly recommend it to you. You'll see why I love it as soon as you drive it!"

We bought it used in 1997

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"It had 28000 miles on it. It now has 120000, combination of city and roadtrip in Wisconsin. We changed the timing belt at 75k, alternator at 105K, and battery at 110000k. Brakes were done at 85k. Tires need to be rotated every 6k, but that is free with purchase. That is it. We get 30 mpg at 60 mph, 25 mpg at 70. Great car - carries a canoe, split back fold down rear seats accommodate paddles or skis. Only drawback is the 12 gallon tank makes for frequent fillups on road trips. I still have no hesitation about taking it to Montana. Great car!"

200,000+ miles

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I have owned two Subarus and have known many other Suby owners and have never heard of one conking out before 200,000 miles! A friend had one at 260,000 last time we spoke and it was still running smoothly! Just keep up with maintainance and these cars just go go go. After 12 years on the road and 190,000 miles, my latest Subaru still has a lot of life left. I think this site really under values them."

Not overly powerful but not underwhelming

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Great bang for the buck"

Cons: "no turbo :("

"Great winter vehicle good summer vehicle. This car from factory has a fuse in the front to switch from all wheel drive to just front wheel drive which is great because it gives me 5 mpg more than AWD also gives it a bit more power which is also great when its hot out and you wanna run the a/c but don't wanna be out of power. Speaking of hot if you plan to buy a wagon the whole cabin becomes a greenhouse in the sun so be forewarned maybe put the windows down a hair. I've owned my subaru wagon for 3 years with zero regrets. I accidentally gave it a little more oil than I was supposed (like a quart) which pushed it past my valve cover gasket and onto my exhaust and it smelled for quite some time but I replaced my valve cover gasket and there was no adverse effects on the motor. The car is very controllable in the snow and ice, sideways when you put some(half) pedal down or dead on when you want it(Honestly we've all seen the rally subarus and the car should always be sideways) the controllable bit in the snow is in AWD of course, front wheel drive you have a lot of understeer but still driveable with decent tires. The doors are incredibly light feeling when you open them up. I would honestly buy this car several times over. Great fun, great times."

a tank!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Cons: "cons??"

"wonderful car! 3rd Subaru and I cant wait for my 4th! 200k mile club...hoping to get to 300k and i feel like that is a very real possibility."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Pros: "Everything about an Outback is excellent."

"The Subaru Outback is one of the best vehicles on the market. It is extremely versatile. I have a full size Chevy truck but haul everything that does not require a trailer in my Subie. The rubber mat in the back keeps it clean, and the fold down seats offers more cargo space than generally needed. I regularly throw the kayak on top and cruise down the freeway without any problems. The interior (in a limited) is wonderfully designed. The leather is top quality and shows little wear over time. Driveability is excellent. You can throw it in a curve like a coupe and it powers through superbly. Honda Civics can't keep up, that's for sure. The all-wheel drive systems keeps it rockin even in the snow, which makes for a great day of snowboarding when everybody else is stuck indoors. I have nothing bad to say about the Outback....now go get you one!"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"As a snowboard instructor and college student in the Adirondaks this car got me EVERYWHERE, even in the worst storms. 10 yrs and 186,000 mi and the only downside is some rust."

One Reliable Car

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Bought this car new over 12 years ago, and it has been incredibly reliable and versatile of use. Great capacity for loading in large items (gas barbeques, ladders, 11 foot market umbrellas etc.), comfortable passenger car, wonderful visibility from the driver's point of view and handles well in all road situations and weathers."

Inherited this car; dependable but uncomfortable

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "good winter car in upstate NY"

Cons: "uncomfortable and console controls locations odd"

"Very reliable but front seats are very uncomfortable and have had trouble with back lift gate not operating. Gas mileage is good, but not great about 25 mpg."

Best car ever!

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Dependable fast corning well ballanced roomie"

My 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 2.5

"I cant seem to find anything wrong nor can I say anything bad about my Subaru, in fact it has been the best car I have ever owned. I've never owned a Subaru before I got my Legacy GT wagon I kinda had no choice at that point because of my credit score, so I had to build my credit so I bought it. I only planned on keeping it until I got it paid off then I was going to use it as a trade so I could upgrade, but a strange thing happened I started to enjoy it the more I drove it. It handled like no other car I've ever owned before, very reliable and never had an issue with it. I paid this car off over three years ago and cant seem to want to let it go. Very good gas millage and very fast lol wont say how fast but I will say this much it's faster then your average bear. I gave this car a 10/10 because of it's reliability looks and everything. I have never gave a perfect 10 on anything not even my girlfriends. You must drive one to understand what I'm saying."

My 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 2.5

Best, most reliable car we've ever owned.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, well built, tough as nails."

Cons: "really, none."

"great car."

Great Car so far

By on Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pros: "Useful (wagon), AWD is great for avoiding winter accidents"

"I bought this car with 114000 miles and it's done great. I love having a wagon that I can load with bikes, construction materials, etc. but also get decent mileage. It seems like I get about 24 mpg around town and 26 ish on the highway. Repairs have been average for a car with this many miles."

Awesome vehicle! Keeping for at least another 100k

By on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, quick acceleration, good on gas, comfortable for long road trips"

Cons: "Cup holders and radio antenna = major fail"

"I recently visited KBB to assess what my 1998 Legacy GT Limited is currently worth. After looking at the prices of newer cars I decided it simply isn't worth the hassle or the extra money to sell and buy a newer car. I had the head gasket and timing belt replaced at approximately 75,000 miles. I had my work done by a local mechanic for around $800 and haven't had the slightest mechanical issue since (it now sits at just below 96,000). Aside from this there have been no major mechanical issues. This car has been incredibly reliable and handles like a king in the snow - I certainly do enjoy the winter months with my subaru. This is a top quality car that I hope to keep for 100,000 more miles, and I doubt that it will be my last Subaru. Oh yes - very cozy on long drives, too Beware: radio antenna isn't so great. Highly susceptible to being devoured by your local car wash (just don't forget to turn it off!)"

1999 Legacy Outback

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"When buying, make SURE you get it checked by a mechanic BEFORE signing the dotted line. Bought ours used for $3,700 @ 166K miles and one week later paid $3,600 in maintenance fees--timing belt, head gasket, re-tooled brakes, leaky seals, and more. Could've had a brand new KIA for that money, but I feel like my 20 yr old daughter will be safer in this car as she drives 450 miles one way to and from school several times a year. The mechanic also says it's a very good car and shouldn't need anything else done for a very long time. Says it will hold its value well."

a trusty friend...

By on Friday, April 09, 2010

"I purchased my 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT in 2001 with 34K. It now has 201K and is still plugging along. There've been a few hiccups down the road: replaced head gaskets at 120K, along with timing belt, water pump, & thermostat (YIKES); replaced the C/V shafts/boots twice in 2 years; engine leaks oil and have recently run into power steering problems. However, the car itself handles great, gets ok gas mileage (20-22mpg), and the AWD was worth every penny. I live in North Dakota, and being able to power through snow drifts has been a huge plus. The acceleration is just powerful, and i do love my subaru! sadly, i'll be trading it in soon for a less thrilling (nonAWD) vehicle. I drive 2500 highway miles a month, and gas mileage is far too important these days! subarus seem to last forever - my dad's outback finally died at 313K. if you can handle the repair cost, you'll love your subaru too!"

best I have ever owned

By on Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Owned 11 years as of August 2009 Most reliable and safest car I have ever owned"

I LOVE my Subaru

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I Love my Subaru wagon. This is by far the best and most reliable car I have ever had. I live in northern Michigan and have not yet been stumped by the winter weather.The rotors are warped and I hear this is typical of this model, so it's time to replace them. But I got this car with 210,000 miles, and with routine maintainence, (inexpensive) this car is a keeper. I think I will always go for a Subaru."

Totally awesome!

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"My dad runs an auto repair shop and got this car 7 or so years ago when it was having some transmisison trouble and someone didn't want to fix it. He had a friend suggest a product that does wonders for Subaru transmissions and it worked. I have had the car for about 3 1/2 years and it just hit 300,000 miles with the original engine and transmission!!! It still runs fine but the rust is starting to really eat it up. I love this car and will be a Subaru owner for life if I have my choice!"

My Mail Car

By on Monday, February 09, 2009

"I purchased mine new in 1997. It is a right hand drive built for mail delivery. I have used it in all kinds of weather including snow and it has performed perfectly. It's 12 yrs old and still working great. I'm retired now and sold the Subaru to another carrier in my Post Office. They are tough little cars!"

FANTASTIC vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Buying this car is one of the smartest things i ever did. It was 4 years old with 85k when i bought it; 9 years later it has 230k and is still ticking! I lived in Wyoming for 2 years after its purchase and was not always kind, but my only real complaint was that it does not have enough clearance for the snow there. The only non-routine work i've had done in the past 9.5 years is replacing the seals and the starter (twice in last 4, for the latter). This car has taken me coast to coast without a moment's concern for reliability, and i have been in some out-of-the-way, backwoods spots! Only now am i considering replacement, and of course another Subaru wagon is the only thing that will do!"