2014 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,866 - $25,459.

10/6.7

8.1

Based on 53 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

I have owned 3 subarues this one by far the best.I

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Its more than fun to drive,"

Cons: "Yes it has 4"

"I love the dual transmison and anti skid control, It went through 12 inches of snow and sleet ( no problem ) I have kept it in mint condition including oil changes etc. You could eat off the engine."

Decent car, hard to love, hard to dislike

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Smooth on highway, roomy, overall good design"

Cons: "Noisy, terrible sound system, needs 6th gear"

"Sometimes you get what you pay for. This is a reasonable car for a reasonable price. It is "ultilitarian" - will go in any weather and will be mechanically reliable. It is roomy and comfortable. It feels glued to the payment and although not speedy, quick emough. So, what's not to like? The sound system is atrocious - not sure why, as a few more dollars in price would probably not chased away buyers? The manual transmission needs a 6th gear. It is great on country roads, but a little "clumsy" in the City. It is less fun to drive than car #2 Mazda3 Sport, and less of a highway cruiser than car #3 Subabru Legacy - but I really do like the Impreza."

Great MPG

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG, Comfortable, spacious, hands free"

Cons: "Price, Weak acceleration,"

"I get 29 mpg on city streets and about 37-40 mpg on highways. The car handles great and is well worth the money, especially if you live anywhere where it snows a significant amount. The one major downside of the car is that it lacks pep. Acceleration is pretty slow when trying to reach highway speeds. I've had some issues with the car starting right away, but I've had it checked and apparently nothing is wrong..."

very impressed with my subaru

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "mpgs, snow beast, etc."

"I have owned the car for about a year now. I was happy with it all along but a few months back a couple of heavy snows (heavy for us) hit Birmingham AL and that is when the car really earned its keep. I couldn't of been happier with its performance and can honestly say that it never lost traction unless i made it. I was going up hills 4x4s were stuck on. I recommend the car because it has incredible versatility and good mpg. great on the highway. I can squeeze 38-40 mpg out of it on an all highway trip. My 2 complaints about the vehicle is #1 i have and 6 month old little girl and with her rear facing car seat in the back, it doesn't leave much leg room for front seat passenger, and #2 its a little lacking on power but will do whatever you ask with encouragement and it does not hold it back what so ever. Hope this was helpfull. Thanks for your time"

Good Car for Around Town - Not Good Commuter Car

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Good snow traction and handling at low speeds"

Cons: "Burns oil, noisy, poor highway handling"

"The realized mileage is about 28 MPG. I find the car too light for highway driving in the snow or rain, even with top notch tires. Returned to dealer six times for the same check engine light related to the variable value timing. Quite noisy on on the highway, again with top of the line tires. Burns about a quart of oil every 1300-1500 miles and quite a few interior rattles. Very disappointed in my first/last subaru. Previously owned toyota camary's with little to no issues. Basically drove the toyotas off the lot and ran them to 250,000 miles with only regular oil changes, brakes and tires. Subaru was a major let down."

stylish, sporty and reliable

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great cargo space, great in the snow"

Cons: "trunk latching, Bluetooth, headliner pulling away"

"This is my second Subaru- I had owner and loved a 1993 Legacy wagon up until 2003 when I was in an accident. I drove a new Chevy Aveo and a new Kia Soul! between and always missed my Subaru. Finally, I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza Limited new, fresh from the dealer. It is amazing. The brakes were perfect from day one, it handles like a champ, and feels solid (something I missed in my past two vehicles.) My only complaints are that the trunk doesn't shut well/easily- I have to really slam it to get it to latch correctly, that the upgraded stereo system is not very loud (and I'm not even a loud music person,) and that some of the headliner is pulling away from around the moon roof and windshield (since day one.) Also, the Bluetooth system is much more difficult to use than the ones I've had in the past. The car handles well in the snow (and my driveway is an unpaved, steep, crazy mess! There is a ton of cargo space in a very small footprint (especially with the seats down.)I get great gas milage (32.9 MPG for combined highway/city driving 60 miles a day, 5 days a week.) Overall, just a very nice car."

Best I ever had!

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great utility and fun!"

Cons: "Stereo system needs to be updated"

"This has been by far my favorite vehicle. I have owned close to 20 different cars and trucks through the years and nothing has this combination of utility and sport. Many have suggested upgrading the stock performance on this car but even at stock this car will out perform 80% of the vehicles on and off the road! If you do decide to modify the car... Well some of the Porsches and BMWs that I have owned would not hold a candle to it in a modified form! But by far my favorite concept is its utility. I do not go to the track on a regular basis and I have a family this car fits into that category wonderfully (with plenty of acceleration running errands)."

Best car for snowy roads!

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Good price, secure on any road surface, good MPG's"

"I have driven Subaru's for almost 15 years now and the 2014 Impreza Sedan is far and away the BEST machine I have ever driven on slippery, slushy roads. I am one of those aggressive winter drivers and my Impreza took everything I threw at it and begged for more! It is quick, nimble, and sure footed like no other vehicle I have ever driven! The Impreza makes you feel safe and in control. All the while getting great gas mileage. I would recommend this car to anyone!"

A little disappointed to be honest...

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Price, leg room, AWD"

Cons: "Interior build quality, performance, speakers"

"Before I go out to buy a new vehicle, I read tons of online reviews, ask other owner's opinions, and pick the brains of my mechanics before I make my final decision. I know how useful a heartfelt and in-depth review is to most people. So here we go... I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium CVT (hatch) last June, 2013. I had never owned a Subaru until I purchased this vehicle. My main "needs" for purchasing this vehicle: I needed to fit comfortably in the car (I am 6'3"), needed something reliable, needed AWD for NE weather, and needed good gas mileage. I commute 120 miles everyday to and from work. Right now I am just shy of 30,000 miles, so I wanted to give an in-depth owner review. Starting from price paid: I got a pretty decent deal on this car. I showed up to the dealer with no intent of purchasing my Impreza that day. However, they made me an offer I could not refuse for my old Toyota Corolla (which had 245,00 miles on the original motor and transmission and I had ZERO issues with) and shaved quite a bit off the Window Price to make room for the 2014 stock. I did not want this exterior color, or interior color, but like I said the price was just too good to pass up so I sacrificed some of my "wants" for price. My first "need": I am 6'3"; I did not fit well in my old Toyota Corolla. I needed something that was more comfortable for longer rides to accommodate how long of a commute I have. I fit comfortably in this car. The seats are not the best, but they are not the worst either. Added lumbar support would make all the difference. With my seat all the way back, there is still plenty of room in the back seat for other (normal sized) people. In one instance, folding down the rear seats I was able to cut some sheet stock plywood in half and haul that back to my house from the Depot with ease (not bad in my opinion). My second "need": I can't really complain about the reliability at this point. Just shy of 30,000 and there have not been any major issues. I have regularly changed my oil every 3,000 miles. One thing to note, which hasn't posed an issue yet... but it might: This engine burns a LOT of oil. I saw quite a few other reviewers commenting on this as well. Every time that I have changed my oil to date, I have noticed that my car is burning 1 to 1/2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. Not sure if this is normal with Subaru's, not ever owning one before. But my old Corolla would spit out whatever you put in it 3,000 miles later. Hopefully this doesn't get worse as my car gets older. My third "need": the AWD in this car is pretty good from what I've thrown at it so far, but I really have not been able to test the true capabilities due to the fact that the tires that come on these rims are absolutely terrible. Do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of continentals. I did 3/4 of the way through this winter, and I wished I did sooner they make all the difference. With the stock Yokahamas that come on these rims, turning or trying to pull yourself out of 6" of snow is impossible, even with AWD. I drove in a couple dozen snow storms this winter back and forth to work, and I wish I got different tires sooner. With the continentals that I have on it now, I'm pretty sure I could climb the Eifel Tower in this car hahaha My fourth "need": I have averaged 26-29 mpg on this car. In the winter I have seen as low as 24 mpg, and summer high as 32 mpg. Do not go by the gauge on the dash, mine is off my about 3 mpg in either direction. I was hoping that I could get the window advertised gas mileage, but I have not come close. To be honest, I think it is the 2.0 in this car. To get up to highway speeds and maintain 60-80 mph definitely pushes this car to its limits with aggressive highway driving (I have to in my commute, or you might as well get run over). I did not buy this car for performance, but you would think that the EPA ratings would take into account aggressive highway driving into their calculations. I know a couple of other people who get similar mileage as I do and have slightly shorter commutes. I was getting 34 mpg minimum with my old Toyota... I want to touch upon a couple other things with this car that I have noticed: I find that the cup holder arrangement is very odd, considering the armrest goes over one of the cup holders. It is not ergonomically friendly. This is probably not something that you would notice right away, but at 530 am when you are leaving for work, fumbling with your coffee mug can get messy. The stereo is NOT a strong point for this car. One thing about me, I am always listening to music where ever I go, so the fact that Subaru could not get a decent stereo in here is pretty disappointing. The passenger side dash speaker died 2 months into me owning this car, still haven't fixed it yet, I will get around to it eventually. The "upgraded" stereo system does not sound that much better, by the way, and in my opinion is not worth the extra money. Do yourself a favor and get a professional system installed. Don't even bother with the blue tooth... My dashboard is coming loose. This can definitely be attributed to the fact that 90% of Massachusetts roads are garbage and filled with pot holes, but the amount of dashboard noise I have right now is what a 15 year old car should sound like, not a 9 month old car. If you are listening to songs that are bassy you can even hear the pieces of plastic that have broken off shaking around on the inside of the dash. Normally this wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me, but since I drive 120 miles every day this gets pretty annoying fast. There is not as much road noise as everyone else says... The motor in this car is pretty lack-luster. Like I mentioned above, I did not buy this car for its performance. But I would have expected it to be a little peppier considering it is such a small car. If this went back to the 2.5 L that was in the older Impreza's, I'm sure I would be more happy. I was reluctant on buying this vehicle with the CVT. I will say I am very impressed with the CVT transmission. It is seamless going up to speed, and playing with the paddle shifters is fun on back roads. Having the extra 6th "gear" is nice for cruising. I put "gear" in quotations because it technically is just a ratio, not a gear. The paint that Subaru used on the exterior is pretty soft. If you were to take your thumb nail and press it up agains the paint on the car, you would see a mark permanently left there. Overall, I would say that this car is a solid car that meets my needs (generally). From this post, you can probably tell that I am getting into the nit picky, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. It is definitely not the most high quality vehicle you can buy, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimal issues. To be honest, I don't know if I would buy another Subaru, just because the interior build quality is so terrible. If this car actually got the advertised window MPG, I would probably be a happy customer. Its the little things that add up with this one... I think next vehicle I am just going to buy another Toyota."

Great 4-wheel drive and great MPG

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "MPG, 4WD"

Cons: "Noisy"

"This is a great car. Almost 50K with no service other than oil changes. 4WD was great over this lousy winter, but gas mileage has held at 28 mpg average. Only complaint is cabin is kind of loud -- lots of engine and road noise."

See if you qualify for