2014 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,095 - $19,749.

10/6.7

8.2

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

My first automatic but still fun to drive

By on Friday, August 14, 2015

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, spacious"

Cons: "speakers, weather & road noise, touch screen"

"So I will start by saying I have always drove a manual transmission and this is my first brand new car, therefore my review might come off a little different than most. And if I was made of money I would have gotten the WRX instead but the fuel economy is just not where I would like it to be. So instead, I have the 2015 Impreza sport premium, pretty much all stock minus the homelink mirror. The ride is pretty smooth but for some might be a little too bumpy. My only qualm at this point is it's a little too gooey of a ride for me. You hit a dip on the highway and it just throws you out of the seat. At first the seat was like sitting on a rock and took a few weeks to even be remotely comfortable. The interior is very spacious, I have cloth interior (because I live in Florida and I don't like burning my legs during the summer on leather), the headrests are adjustable up & down as well as front to back, no lumbar support which is a bummer. The only complaints I have for this car is that when it rains and I'm driving, it sounds like it is raining in the car (I have caught myself checking to make sure all of my windows are up). The AC blows so cold I have to turn it warmer or off occasionally. The stereo system with no upgrades is ok, it chooses when and what device to connect to when it feels like it. With the touch screen you have the ability to go in and manually adjust the equalizer so it kind of helped with the factory settings for the speakers. I enjoy having all the controls on the steering wheel and I have my ipod hooked up and can scroll through songs and playlists with those controls. I feel that it is easier than trying to fight with the touchscreen. Biggest con of the speakers is that when you are listening to whatever music you like, if you have it under #10 volume setting you can barely hear it, #11-#20 is probably standard background noise level for most people, but say that 1 song comes on that you really would like to enjoy and you want to crank it....you cannot successfully pass #25 without causing distortion in the speakers- I think they take a nap at this point. The volume goes to 30 but it really is not that loud, unless of course you are standing outside of the car, then you can hear it as clear as day. I do not think that the doors are insulated very well. My previous car was a 2007 Mazda 3 stock as stock can be and the stock speakers bumped like you had a subwoofer in the car, but it was loud inside the car and quiet on the outside. But I did not choose this car for it's not so amazing sound system. I like the backup camera that came stock this model year, the display comes up on the head unit and takes some getting used to if you have never used one before. The sight lines out of the car from the drivers seat is really good compared to some other newer model cars I have been in. The hatchback makes it a breeze to see when backing up as well as changing lanes in traffic. It has amazing safety ratings which is not surprising. While researching this brand and just from what I know and can physically see, there are supports in the door that essentially lock into place when you have the doors shut to assist in the case of a side impact collision. Also, in the case of a front end collision you would not have to worry about the engine coming through the firewall because it drops down so that the front end can take the impact and crumple while not leaving you trapped in the car. AWD is awesome and also works wonders with the traction control assist. I know some other people reviewing this car refer to AWD while driving in northern climates, but it is awesome here because it doesn't just rain a little, it is a torrential downpour as a normal afternoon shower. Driving can become dangerous during the summer under these conditions, but all these features make it easier to know I will make it home safely every day. I drive a lot on the highway but some stop and go city traffic and over the last few months I have been averaging 38-41 mpg combined. I use the cruise control A LOT and with the sport it comes with paddle shifters, which does take some getting used to after driving stick shift for over 10 years, but I choose to use these to control my speed instead of using the brake every time I need to just slow down and not completely stop. I don't take off very heavily but I did a small experiment because I was bummed about the gas mileage not being as high as I wanted it, so for a week I drove normal and just leaving the car in automatic mode, drove how I always drove in the past, and with the CVT transmission it has some lag in 3rd gear into 4th. Then for the following full week, while I was in traffic with stoplights, I used the manual mode to take off and also to get onto the highway. My fuel economy was much better the second week with my conclusion being that when allowing the transmission to shift itself, it prematurely shifts into 4th gear. When you shift yourself you actually get up to speed at the same rate as from a complete stop until 3rd gear in automatic mode. Naturally, when you are taking off from a complete stop you assume that the transmission is going to shift at the same rate for each gear until you are up to speed, so while thinking that this car will do that once you hit 4th gear, your natural reaction is to hit the gas pedal slightly more thinking that you are going to get out of that slump, but all you end up doing is burning fuel for no reason. I have not had my first oil change yet, but have not had any burning smell that I have read on some reviews, according to my maintenance schedule I only need to change it every 6,ooo miles. Oil is full sythetic, however, a lot of other users that report having the oil leak or burn up- my question would be, Do you let your car warm up before you just take off? I have this awesome little light on my gauge cluster that is blue when you first turn on the car say first thing in the morning. I wait for that light to go away before I drive off, it takes about 2 minutes which allows the oil that has been congealing in the bottom of the engine all night to have a chance to warm up and coat the engine and all the gaskets. Now this is the middle of summer still and this is the south. I'm sure during the winter when it is colder I will have to give it 5 minutes to warm up. I have done this with every car I've ever driven and have NEVER had a problem with oil leaking or magically evaporating. Subaru is known for it's longevity, but you have to treat your car right and if you take care of it, then it will take care of you."

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, responsive, LOVE the AWD"

"I really like this car. It's fun and responsive to drive and feels solid against the road. It fits tight and I've found nothing negative about it. The freeway acceleration when needed and solid swerve handling has kept me out of a couple accidents. For a small car I love the additional wagon space for city hauling of stuff. I'm sold on Subaru."

Best Subaru Yet.... 2012 Impreza Limited Sedan

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Comfort, Gas Mileage and AWD"

Cons: "No Satellite Radio without Navigation"

"I took delivery of my new Impreza a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the car, everything I expected and more. I like the way it looks and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. The Limited leather interior is really nice looking and there is plenty of room for the Driver and up to 3 passengers. I know some folks criticize the CVT Transmission but I find it to be very pleasant to drive. It seems to keep the relatively small motor in it's comfort zone and delivers fabulous gas mileage. I have been averaging about 35 MPG in mixed driving which is beyond my expectations. I believe it will better the advertised 36 MPG on the highway using cruise control. The Bluetooth Cell Phone connection is a little hokey to figure out, but once the phone is paired the voice quality is excellent; much better than my wife's Mercedes. I was disappointed that my contacts would not transfer, but I have an old cell phone which is probably the reason. My car has a sunroof and it's a very nice option. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of head room even with the sunroof. This is my 3rd Subaru over a 20 year period and this one is by far the best. I looked around quite a bit before deciding on the Impreza and no other car I considered came close to the value offered by Subaru. It's a great vehicle and I highly recommend taking one for a test drive before deciding on which new car you are going to purchase."

Imprezza Limited with Automatic (CVT).

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Uncommon, quality, awd, cult like following, mpg"

Cons: "Rear seat room for large adults would be just okay"

"i just took possessiom a few weeks ago. So far, I have not even the slightest reason to take the car back to the dealer for warranty work. The build quality is perfect. So far, i am getting 31 mpg in mostly city driving. There is almost no engine vibration due to the horizontally opposed boxter engine. Road noise is good, perhaps could be improved a little, but I have no regrets. The car grows on me the more I drive it. The cvt requires some getting used to as it is not a fluid and geared transmission we are all used too. The cvt creates many more "gear" ratios and the reason an awd can get such good mileage. I rarely exceed 2000 rpms under any circumstances since I have learned to wait for the wheel speed to catch up with engine rpms. Again it takes just a few days to get used to cvt....I would not be afraid of this option. My one criticism is the radio sound quality. It is a little tinny and cheap sounding in what is otherwise a very nice car. I will be exploring what can be done including upgrading."

A little disappointed to be honest...

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Price, leg room, AWD"

Cons: "Interior build quality, performance, speakers"

"Before I go out to buy a new vehicle, I read tons of online reviews, ask other owner's opinions, and pick the brains of my mechanics before I make my final decision. I know how useful a heartfelt and in-depth review is to most people. So here we go... I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium CVT (hatch) last June, 2013. I had never owned a Subaru until I purchased this vehicle. My main "needs" for purchasing this vehicle: I needed to fit comfortably in the car (I am 6'3"), needed something reliable, needed AWD for NE weather, and needed good gas mileage. I commute 120 miles everyday to and from work. Right now I am just shy of 30,000 miles, so I wanted to give an in-depth owner review. Starting from price paid: I got a pretty decent deal on this car. I showed up to the dealer with no intent of purchasing my Impreza that day. However, they made me an offer I could not refuse for my old Toyota Corolla (which had 245,00 miles on the original motor and transmission and I had ZERO issues with) and shaved quite a bit off the Window Price to make room for the 2014 stock. I did not want this exterior color, or interior color, but like I said the price was just too good to pass up so I sacrificed some of my "wants" for price. My first "need": I am 6'3"; I did not fit well in my old Toyota Corolla. I needed something that was more comfortable for longer rides to accommodate how long of a commute I have. I fit comfortably in this car. The seats are not the best, but they are not the worst either. Added lumbar support would make all the difference. With my seat all the way back, there is still plenty of room in the back seat for other (normal sized) people. In one instance, folding down the rear seats I was able to cut some sheet stock plywood in half and haul that back to my house from the Depot with ease (not bad in my opinion). My second "need": I can't really complain about the reliability at this point. Just shy of 30,000 and there have not been any major issues. I have regularly changed my oil every 3,000 miles. One thing to note, which hasn't posed an issue yet... but it might: This engine burns a LOT of oil. I saw quite a few other reviewers commenting on this as well. Every time that I have changed my oil to date, I have noticed that my car is burning 1 to 1/2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. Not sure if this is normal with Subaru's, not ever owning one before. But my old Corolla would spit out whatever you put in it 3,000 miles later. Hopefully this doesn't get worse as my car gets older. My third "need": the AWD in this car is pretty good from what I've thrown at it so far, but I really have not been able to test the true capabilities due to the fact that the tires that come on these rims are absolutely terrible. Do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of continentals. I did 3/4 of the way through this winter, and I wished I did sooner they make all the difference. With the stock Yokahamas that come on these rims, turning or trying to pull yourself out of 6" of snow is impossible, even with AWD. I drove in a couple dozen snow storms this winter back and forth to work, and I wish I got different tires sooner. With the continentals that I have on it now, I'm pretty sure I could climb the Eifel Tower in this car hahaha My fourth "need": I have averaged 26-29 mpg on this car. In the winter I have seen as low as 24 mpg, and summer high as 32 mpg. Do not go by the gauge on the dash, mine is off my about 3 mpg in either direction. I was hoping that I could get the window advertised gas mileage, but I have not come close. To be honest, I think it is the 2.0 in this car. To get up to highway speeds and maintain 60-80 mph definitely pushes this car to its limits with aggressive highway driving (I have to in my commute, or you might as well get run over). I did not buy this car for performance, but you would think that the EPA ratings would take into account aggressive highway driving into their calculations. I know a couple of other people who get similar mileage as I do and have slightly shorter commutes. I was getting 34 mpg minimum with my old Toyota... I want to touch upon a couple other things with this car that I have noticed: I find that the cup holder arrangement is very odd, considering the armrest goes over one of the cup holders. It is not ergonomically friendly. This is probably not something that you would notice right away, but at 530 am when you are leaving for work, fumbling with your coffee mug can get messy. The stereo is NOT a strong point for this car. One thing about me, I am always listening to music where ever I go, so the fact that Subaru could not get a decent stereo in here is pretty disappointing. The passenger side dash speaker died 2 months into me owning this car, still haven't fixed it yet, I will get around to it eventually. The "upgraded" stereo system does not sound that much better, by the way, and in my opinion is not worth the extra money. Do yourself a favor and get a professional system installed. Don't even bother with the blue tooth... My dashboard is coming loose. This can definitely be attributed to the fact that 90% of Massachusetts roads are garbage and filled with pot holes, but the amount of dashboard noise I have right now is what a 15 year old car should sound like, not a 9 month old car. If you are listening to songs that are bassy you can even hear the pieces of plastic that have broken off shaking around on the inside of the dash. Normally this wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me, but since I drive 120 miles every day this gets pretty annoying fast. There is not as much road noise as everyone else says... The motor in this car is pretty lack-luster. Like I mentioned above, I did not buy this car for its performance. But I would have expected it to be a little peppier considering it is such a small car. If this went back to the 2.5 L that was in the older Impreza's, I'm sure I would be more happy. I was reluctant on buying this vehicle with the CVT. I will say I am very impressed with the CVT transmission. It is seamless going up to speed, and playing with the paddle shifters is fun on back roads. Having the extra 6th "gear" is nice for cruising. I put "gear" in quotations because it technically is just a ratio, not a gear. The paint that Subaru used on the exterior is pretty soft. If you were to take your thumb nail and press it up agains the paint on the car, you would see a mark permanently left there. Overall, I would say that this car is a solid car that meets my needs (generally). From this post, you can probably tell that I am getting into the nit picky, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. It is definitely not the most high quality vehicle you can buy, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimal issues. To be honest, I don't know if I would buy another Subaru, just because the interior build quality is so terrible. If this car actually got the advertised window MPG, I would probably be a happy customer. Its the little things that add up with this one... I think next vehicle I am just going to buy another Toyota."