2014 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,165 - $21,718.

10/6.7

8.2

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 ... 10 11 12 13 | Next

An exceptional vehicle, lacking some niceties

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, handling, mpg, practical, price"

Cons: "few ammenities, road noise"

"Ok, so I have read most of the reviews, seen the pros and cons, and I have to say I think Subarus are WAY under-rated. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Supra turbo... beautiful vehicle with incredible handling and comfortable design. And costly, something I could not take out in inclement weather, terrible gas mileage and not practical for getting around town or carrying anything more than groceries or 1 other passenger. This is my first Subaru, but I have been around people who have owned them for decades. The warranty covers more than most (your 10yr/100k covers so little and is non-transferrable for example), extended warranties are very well priced, they are notoriously reliable, safe, practical and I already know I can trust my Impreza in a pinch in any situation. Some may say "AWD is fine for bad weather, but otherwise just more gas and more maintenance"... but they don't know what they're talking about. Subaru's get better gas mileage than anything in its class and comparable to most 2WD systems. The symmetrical AWD system of the Subaru takes less components and are proven to need less maintenance. And I have been in so many situations on dry road, in good conditions where I used to wish I had AWD, if only to better avoid bad drivers, road hazards, have more confidence on the road, etc. My Supra was great for that in optimal conditions. My Subaru is great in ALL conditions. My friend got a Hyundai Sonata with a bunch of features... I admit I wish the Subarus had a few more luxuries... but mostly I hear people talk about how they hardly use those features. And people ask "when do you really need AWD??" If you have to ask that question, then you really don't understand the value of a great AWD system, and probably won't until it is too late. It may be just that ONE time you need that makes it more than worth it. But likely its just the ability to drive confidently in any weather, go camping at REAL campsites, be more able to respond to unknowns, or simply knowing your loved ones are safer that makes it the right decision. So it does cost more to get the Symmetrical AWD and you lose a few features... from my experience driving just about eveything but the priciest vehicles, you get at least as good handling, reliability, and safey as an Audi, lose some luxury features, less quiet cabin, and save around $15k, more affordable upkeep, and great resale value. Don't get me wrong... I have driven the Sonata and Corolla and they are fine cars... I am just glad I don't have to drive them anymore. I liked some additional features in the Sonota and the Corolla runs well and is reliable. But maybe because my experience in cars has been sport cars previously, I felt afraid to drive them down the road , especially on the highway. When you know the difference, you can feel what these cars CAN'T do. If you've seen them in accidents, you know what you WANT them to do. That, to me, is more than worth a few more bucks for great AWD system and better safety. A lot folks I know who work overseas in various posts prefer Subarus as well, knowing wherever they go they'll have minimal vehicle issues and can get out of Dodge if need be!"

Great driving not so great mpg

By on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Pros: "great driving"

Cons: "terrible fuel mileage and stereo"

"My 2013 Impreza 2.0i premium is a pretty great car. It handles great on gravel roads. I am only getting between 26 and 27 mpg. I really hope it will get better with a few more miles. Also the 6 speaker stereo is not anything to brag about. I love music and I can't hardly stand to turn it up. Maybe they should have put 2 quality speakers instead of 6 cheap ones."

Beware of BASE Model 2.0i CVT

By on Thursday, November 01, 2012

Pros: "One of the most comfortable small cars."

Cons: "Auto CVT on BASE model is terrible!!!"

"We pre-ordered this car from Subaru before any of the marketing information or any models were available in the showroom. (BIG MISTAKE!) We were told that the BASE Model that we ordered would have the same Auto CVT transmission as the 2011 Legacy but with the auto-shifter of the 2011 Impreza. (WRONG!) The shift mechanism on this model has NO DRIVER CONTROLS to make the transmission shift-up (or down) to match your driving conditions. This makes for some very frustrating driving on hilly rural roads. The transmission sticks to lower gears and revs up tremendously. This takes any of the "fun" out of driving this car. You are not in control of the vehicle; it is in control of the driver! When we asked Subaru of America to help us get this model replaced with a Premium 2.0i if we paid the difference in cost, they said -- "No way! You own it. It's your problem." We expected better after being loyal Subaru owners for over 30 years. Anyway, avoid this particular BASE Auto CVT model until Subaru fixes the transmission issues and don't expect Subaru of America to come to your rescue if you have a problem. It just won't happen!!!"

Disappointing

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pros: "All wheel drive, steering wheel mounted controls"

Cons: "Gas mileage, no pep/power, arm rest useless"

"Third Subaru I have owned. I was hesitant to purchase another since the two previous failed around 92,000 miles and about 8 years with leaking head gaskets - which I found to be a common problem in Subaru. I was assured the new Subaru's do not require a flush and fill til they reach 100,000 miles. I went with the Subaru after looking at the Hyundai Elantra GT, Ford Focus, and Mazda 3 and taking into account Consumer Reports high opinion of the vehicle. However, the 2012 Impreza has less power than my 2004 Impreza with no significant increase in miles per gallon (got 28 mpg on 2004 and getting 30 mpg on this). There is a really stupid gague to let you know how to drive to get better mileage - shows I get good mileage going downhill and bad mileage going up hill. I already know this and did not need a gauge to tell me this. The vehicle is still not designed for a short people. The sliding armrest helps but still about 2 inches too short for me to make good use of it. I don't think the low profile is going to get me through a whole lot of deep snow. I wish I had gone with the Hyundai Elantra GT instead which is almost the same car dimension wise (interior and exterior)."

Not what I expected

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "SI drive"

Cons: "Cheap feel, terrible mpg, awful sound system $$$$$"

"I have always driven a Nissan or Infiniti. This is my first Subaru Traded in a 2010 Infiniti G37 convertible on the 2012 sti and I immediately regretted the decision! Loud, poor gas mileage, uncomfortable, terrible audio and Bluetooth (spend 1900 on audio the first week I had it) and cheap interior. The cars interior is about the same as the nissan Sentra and if you take the car apart many of the components are made by nissan. Very very cheap feel, rattles, plastic dash???? Overall if you are used to a nice car, do not buy this one!! However car has been very reliable with no issues at all aside from the audio system"

Previous | 1 ... 10 11 12 13 | Next