2014 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,219 - $17,670.

10/6.7

8.0

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Everything I thought it would be, however...

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great mileage for an AWD"

Cons: "stereo seems minimal, somewhat boring interior"

"As reluctant as I was to trade in my 2009 Audi A4, I wanted something newer and with a little better gas mileage since I do a ton of traveling for work. The Impreza Limited fit the bill for what I was looking for. Two things I didn't want to give up was the heated leather seats and all-wheel drive. Since I previously owned two Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2009 Legacy), I knew the all-wheel drive would be top-notch and almost unstoppable in the PA winters. The interior is definitely roomy and could comfortably (very important word here) seat 5 adults. The handling is much better than expected and is very stiff and hugs the corners around sharp turns, something I was afraid of losing when I traded my Audi. I'm not comparing the two vehicles, but the difference between the two is not much. For all of the things that I love about this car, the common thing that everybody does not like is the acceleration. You're buying an $25,000 Impreza, not a McLaren MP4 or even an Impreza WRX or an STi. Of course there's gonna be an obvious acceleration issue. The way I look at it is that it's a trade-off for the all-wheel drive that will be more than useful during the winter months. Besides, 36+ mpg on an all-wheel drive vehicle? I'll take that any day of the week. I've hit 38.4 mpg on a 200 mile drive with the cruise on, and that's even with hitting the gas to get through traffic more than a few times. Everybody's second complaint is the stereo. The package I had came with a double-DIN sized stereo with HD Radio built in. It's adequate at best, but I won't waste time and space reviewing this since you can easily upgrade the stereo for $200-300 at your local electronics store. The interior itself is somewhat plain. Not something that you'd look inside and go "wow!", but being the entry level Subaru I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the interior. That said, if there was some thing that could be improved, this would be high on my list. There is nothing that I don't like about this car, but there is some room for improvement."

Good overall vehicle, has some quirks...

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "AMAZING handling/traction...WOW"

Cons: "Little power..really,noisy on freeway,jerky CVT"

"Subaru's are synonymous with where we live in Northern Nevada. So after moving there a few years ago, and needing a new car after our old one died, we decided to go with the Impreza. We opted for the fully loaded Sport Premium 5dr, because it had some things we've never had before like leather, heated seats, and CVT transmission etc... the car has been well... ok. -First the Negatives- Our old car (2003 Mitsubishi Galant)had more power than this one has new. Granted, it was a 2.4liter and only front wheel drive, but I miss it going uphills and merging on the freeway. A lot. This car does NOT have power, which you'll notice right off on the test drive. Another negative, which I never really considered, is road noise. Pretty loud on the freeway. Everywhere else is fine. The last negative for me is, the CVT. I realize it always is in the right gear ratio for fuel economy etc, however it has this jerkiness that if you've never felt before could be a problem. PAY ATTENTION during the test drive. It's not a huge issue, however it IS something I've had to get used to. There ARE positives though, the fuel economy is great, especially on the freeway. I keep it at 65-70, REALLY. However I'm not certain the in town fuel estimates are correct. It seems to only get somewhere around the low 20's (22-25 maybe?) The traction and handling is AMAZING and really where this car SHINES. You have to drive it around corners and interstate interchanges to believe it. On the freeway interchanges, you can literally take the recommended 35-40mph and add 20-25mph NO KIDDING! Its really amazing. It has performed in the snow and ice as expected. This fact alone gives me a peace of mind with my family driving around in it. Overall, the car is great FOR WHERE WE LIVE. If you live in a place that snows in winter and traction/stability/handling are paramount, this is definitely your rig.- hopefully my review answers some or all of your questions."

Imprezza Limited with Automatic (CVT).

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Uncommon, quality, awd, cult like following, mpg"

Cons: "Rear seat room for large adults would be just okay"

"i just took possessiom a few weeks ago. So far, I have not even the slightest reason to take the car back to the dealer for warranty work. The build quality is perfect. So far, i am getting 31 mpg in mostly city driving. There is almost no engine vibration due to the horizontally opposed boxter engine. Road noise is good, perhaps could be improved a little, but I have no regrets. The car grows on me the more I drive it. The cvt requires some getting used to as it is not a fluid and geared transmission we are all used too. The cvt creates many more "gear" ratios and the reason an awd can get such good mileage. I rarely exceed 2000 rpms under any circumstances since I have learned to wait for the wheel speed to catch up with engine rpms. Again it takes just a few days to get used to cvt....I would not be afraid of this option. My one criticism is the radio sound quality. It is a little tinny and cheap sounding in what is otherwise a very nice car. I will be exploring what can be done including upgrading."

Smart, Practical, Fun

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "MPG improvement, AWD, comfortable interior"

Cons: "CVT is not yet perfect"

"After more than four months of ownership (Premium hatchback), I still get a kick out of this car. It's plenty quick (we have the CVT) and smooth, handles precisely, provides great 360-degree visibility, and has a peaceful interior. It's comfortable, uncluttered, and spacious for a compact. Plenty of storage spaces, too. Wind and engine noise are minimal, road noise can become noticeable on some surfaces. The sound system is about average for the class, which means it's a big step forward for a Subaru. Storage space in the back is ample, and with the rear seats folded flat, you can stow a lot of stuff. The seats are comfortable and have tons of adjustment. Buff books and enthusiasts moan about the CVT, but it's better than most automatic transmissions. When you need power, it's there. It's not perfect yet, but Subaru has already issued two updates to the programming to improve performance. We're quite happy with it as it is, and it will only get better. We've been averaging about 32 mpg around town, and up to 34.5 in mostly-highway driving, even in the mountains. The Impreza has no trouble crossing the Continental Divide, at 11,000 feet, at 70 mph. My wife and I opted for the moonroof/alloy wheels/winter package. We enjoy them at least as much as we expected. Fit and finish seem excellent; the doors open and close with little effort. All that makes it comparable to, if not superior to, most other compacts. But the Impreza adds AWD, and in snow country, that puts it way above the competition."

An exceptional vehicle, lacking some niceties

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, handling, mpg, practical, price"

Cons: "few ammenities, road noise"

"Ok, so I have read most of the reviews, seen the pros and cons, and I have to say I think Subarus are WAY under-rated. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Supra turbo... beautiful vehicle with incredible handling and comfortable design. And costly, something I could not take out in inclement weather, terrible gas mileage and not practical for getting around town or carrying anything more than groceries or 1 other passenger. This is my first Subaru, but I have been around people who have owned them for decades. The warranty covers more than most (your 10yr/100k covers so little and is non-transferrable for example), extended warranties are very well priced, they are notoriously reliable, safe, practical and I already know I can trust my Impreza in a pinch in any situation. Some may say "AWD is fine for bad weather, but otherwise just more gas and more maintenance"... but they don't know what they're talking about. Subaru's get better gas mileage than anything in its class and comparable to most 2WD systems. The symmetrical AWD system of the Subaru takes less components and are proven to need less maintenance. And I have been in so many situations on dry road, in good conditions where I used to wish I had AWD, if only to better avoid bad drivers, road hazards, have more confidence on the road, etc. My Supra was great for that in optimal conditions. My Subaru is great in ALL conditions. My friend got a Hyundai Sonata with a bunch of features... I admit I wish the Subarus had a few more luxuries... but mostly I hear people talk about how they hardly use those features. And people ask "when do you really need AWD??" If you have to ask that question, then you really don't understand the value of a great AWD system, and probably won't until it is too late. It may be just that ONE time you need that makes it more than worth it. But likely its just the ability to drive confidently in any weather, go camping at REAL campsites, be more able to respond to unknowns, or simply knowing your loved ones are safer that makes it the right decision. So it does cost more to get the Symmetrical AWD and you lose a few features... from my experience driving just about eveything but the priciest vehicles, you get at least as good handling, reliability, and safey as an Audi, lose some luxury features, less quiet cabin, and save around $15k, more affordable upkeep, and great resale value. Don't get me wrong... I have driven the Sonata and Corolla and they are fine cars... I am just glad I don't have to drive them anymore. I liked some additional features in the Sonota and the Corolla runs well and is reliable. But maybe because my experience in cars has been sport cars previously, I felt afraid to drive them down the road , especially on the highway. When you know the difference, you can feel what these cars CAN'T do. If you've seen them in accidents, you know what you WANT them to do. That, to me, is more than worth a few more bucks for great AWD system and better safety. A lot folks I know who work overseas in various posts prefer Subarus as well, knowing wherever they go they'll have minimal vehicle issues and can get out of Dodge if need be!"