2012 Subaru Impreza

8.3

Based on 101 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Highest Mileage, Least Expensive AWD Car

By on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Pros: "Good Fuel Economy, Good snow car with proper tires"

Cons: "CVT gear change lag, Stock tires are worthless"

"I have 33,000 miles on my 2013 Impreza Sport Premium. I read some reviews where people complain about not getting the EPA mileage. I have owned this car long enough to know that you can get 36 mpg at highway speeds, but not at freeway speeds. My experience is that at 55 to 60 mph I get 36+ mpg. At 70 mph I am down to about 33-34 mpg. It drops rapidly from there, at 75 mph I am lucky to get 31 mpg. All of this is at basically sea level. At altitude, the mileage suffers a little more. The only downsides to this car are: The CVT takes a little while to change from Reverse to Drive, which can be annoying when backing out into traffic and you would like to go forward RIGHT NOW! Also, the stock tires are helpless in the snow. I could barely manage in the snow with the stock tires. I have equipped it with Nokian WR G3 tires and now it is a snow beast -- As a Subaru should be."

Best Subaru Yet.... 2012 Impreza Limited Sedan

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Comfort, Gas Mileage and AWD"

Cons: "No Satellite Radio without Navigation"

"I took delivery of my new Impreza a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the car, everything I expected and more. I like the way it looks and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. The Limited leather interior is really nice looking and there is plenty of room for the Driver and up to 3 passengers. I know some folks criticize the CVT Transmission but I find it to be very pleasant to drive. It seems to keep the relatively small motor in it's comfort zone and delivers fabulous gas mileage. I have been averaging about 35 MPG in mixed driving which is beyond my expectations. I believe it will better the advertised 36 MPG on the highway using cruise control. The Bluetooth Cell Phone connection is a little hokey to figure out, but once the phone is paired the voice quality is excellent; much better than my wife's Mercedes. I was disappointed that my contacts would not transfer, but I have an old cell phone which is probably the reason. My car has a sunroof and it's a very nice option. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of head room even with the sunroof. This is my 3rd Subaru over a 20 year period and this one is by far the best. I looked around quite a bit before deciding on the Impreza and no other car I considered came close to the value offered by Subaru. It's a great vehicle and I highly recommend taking one for a test drive before deciding on which new car you are going to purchase."

Everything I thought it would be, however...

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great mileage for an AWD"

Cons: "stereo seems minimal, somewhat boring interior"

"As reluctant as I was to trade in my 2009 Audi A4, I wanted something newer and with a little better gas mileage since I do a ton of traveling for work. The Impreza Limited fit the bill for what I was looking for. Two things I didn't want to give up was the heated leather seats and all-wheel drive. Since I previously owned two Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2009 Legacy), I knew the all-wheel drive would be top-notch and almost unstoppable in the PA winters. The interior is definitely roomy and could comfortably (very important word here) seat 5 adults. The handling is much better than expected and is very stiff and hugs the corners around sharp turns, something I was afraid of losing when I traded my Audi. I'm not comparing the two vehicles, but the difference between the two is not much. For all of the things that I love about this car, the common thing that everybody does not like is the acceleration. You're buying an $25,000 Impreza, not a McLaren MP4 or even an Impreza WRX or an STi. Of course there's gonna be an obvious acceleration issue. The way I look at it is that it's a trade-off for the all-wheel drive that will be more than useful during the winter months. Besides, 36+ mpg on an all-wheel drive vehicle? I'll take that any day of the week. I've hit 38.4 mpg on a 200 mile drive with the cruise on, and that's even with hitting the gas to get through traffic more than a few times. Everybody's second complaint is the stereo. The package I had came with a double-DIN sized stereo with HD Radio built in. It's adequate at best, but I won't waste time and space reviewing this since you can easily upgrade the stereo for $200-300 at your local electronics store. The interior itself is somewhat plain. Not something that you'd look inside and go "wow!", but being the entry level Subaru I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the interior. That said, if there was some thing that could be improved, this would be high on my list. There is nothing that I don't like about this car, but there is some room for improvement."

Smart, Practical, Fun

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "MPG improvement, AWD, comfortable interior"

Cons: "CVT is not yet perfect"

"After more than four months of ownership (Premium hatchback), I still get a kick out of this car. It's plenty quick (we have the CVT) and smooth, handles precisely, provides great 360-degree visibility, and has a peaceful interior. It's comfortable, uncluttered, and spacious for a compact. Plenty of storage spaces, too. Wind and engine noise are minimal, road noise can become noticeable on some surfaces. The sound system is about average for the class, which means it's a big step forward for a Subaru. Storage space in the back is ample, and with the rear seats folded flat, you can stow a lot of stuff. The seats are comfortable and have tons of adjustment. Buff books and enthusiasts moan about the CVT, but it's better than most automatic transmissions. When you need power, it's there. It's not perfect yet, but Subaru has already issued two updates to the programming to improve performance. We're quite happy with it as it is, and it will only get better. We've been averaging about 32 mpg around town, and up to 34.5 in mostly-highway driving, even in the mountains. The Impreza has no trouble crossing the Continental Divide, at 11,000 feet, at 70 mph. My wife and I opted for the moonroof/alloy wheels/winter package. We enjoy them at least as much as we expected. Fit and finish seem excellent; the doors open and close with little effort. All that makes it comparable to, if not superior to, most other compacts. But the Impreza adds AWD, and in snow country, that puts it way above the competition."

I'm forever a Subaru lover!!

By on Thursday, January 21, 2016

Pros: "AWD, fun to drive, gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "road noise"

"I bought this car in October of 2014. I was reluctant, but it is one of the best purchases I have made in my life. Subaru forever has my heart and respect. This car is fabulous for winter weather. The AWD is amazing. I just recently went ice skating in this car on the Interstate. I could feel this car pull me out of sliding. With about 6 cars along side of the road and a Ford truck going off the road in front of me. My car pulled itself out of sliding and prevented it from going in a ditch. It also practically eats snow for breakfast. I have never had a problem in the winter weather in the mountains of Western Pennsylvania. I've actually helped pull a few small cars out of the snow. This car is very practical. It doesn't have fancy interior or exterior. It's a nice looking car enough. I have gotten many compliments on it, but it's not super flashy. It's very simple and I'm comfortable in it. I have never felt like I was too tall or too big to be in the small sedan. The leg room in the back is also great for adults. I've had people comment on how much leg room they actually have. I wish the standard package came with some specs that I got with the All Weather Package. Like: cruise control, dim rearview mirror, and bluetooth, but that's okay. I know subaru likes to go for more quality and practicality in the car itself than having more specs. I really like the handling in the car as well. I feel like the ride is nice. Sometimes there is some road noise, but it's not too bad. The acceleration is slow, but it's a 4 cylinder so not much to expect there. The MPG is really good for an AWD. I get about 33 MPG with regular driving."