2012 Subaru Impreza

8.1

Based on 76 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Don't trust CVT system/bring back TRUE manuals!!

By on Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pros: "Safety,exterior,reliability, gas mileage 4 AWD"

Cons: "CVT & interior quality"

"My 3rd Subaru (: Currently have a(hatchback)Sport Limited w/ GREAT sound system (maybe due to it being a Limited), handling remains awesome, & space is decent for size. Noticed a decent # of people don't realize what AWD equals: LESS gas mileage. Gas mileage is actually REALLY GOOD for being AWD & of it's collision quality standards. For snow & rain: AWD handles better than any other. Live in WA, so AWD is more important than a minute MPG difference for it's class size. Also, Subaru is 1 of the safest cars (if not safest!) when compared to others same size; research it's side impact test results/scores (: **Subarus hold their resale value well for a reason** BUT, I HOPE SUBARU GETS RID OF OR PERFECTS THEIR CVT concept; think it messes up the transmission. I am noticing a "whine" & TERRIBLE auto shifting when I use it..Have driven many manuals over 20 years & am now afraid to use this car's CVT system. ADVICE TO CORPORATE: PLEASE BRING BACK THE TRUE MANUALS & PLEASE ALSO REFOCUS ON INTERIOR QUALITY!! Otherwise, I won't have a 4th Subaru.. ):"

Worse car to own EVER!!!

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "none"

Cons: "cons??? everything... this car is terrible"

"I have owned a total of 17 cars in my life and the 2014 Subaru hatchback impreza was the only Subaru that I have owned. I never thought twice because their reputation is solid. However this is the biggest hunk of junk I have ever seen. To start... in 3 months I have had 4 flat tires... two at once! I went over the smallest of potholes and you get an immediate flat. I am by no means a fast driver either. When I went to a tire place I was told these types of tires do that. There is nothing to them and they blow out at the smallest bump... 340.00 per tire later... The car also has such a delay in shifting. This is not ok for a brand new 26,000 car! I brought it to my dealership twice thinking its a bad transmission and I have been told both times its the car design, not the transmission... um okay... also if you drive it in snow... which living in Mass is why I bought it... well you can't. Snow builds up in the tire rimes and after 30 MPH the car shakes so bad its scary to drive. I brought my car to the dealership and was again told its the design there's nothing wrong with the car... um actually there's a lot wrong with this car! the jack for the ipod in tucked deep in the arm rest in between the two front seats. Yeah who ever thought of that was a genius. you literally have to pull over to plug in your ipod. really poor gas mileage. I average about 25 miles per gallon... when I bought the car I was told 35. This is the worst car I have ever owned. oh and not to mention... the car is 13 months old and its worth only half what I paid for it... so much for Subaru's keeping their value... stay away from this car... go with a Mazda 3... cheaper and a much better car. I miss mine..."

Impreza are impresive

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"this car is amazing am sad because I have to get rid of it but yeah great, gas milage, is fast, responsive in general Subaru is an amazing car."

i bought it for the supossed 37mpg. it averaged 27

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Reason: bad gas mileage; gas smell in car; car died while going down road 35 mph; exhaust stunk

Pros: "Looks. Holds road with good tires."

Cons: "cvt transmission Issues. mpg. low quality"

"The interior quality is low. Polyester material snags easily, & cheap vinyl. The tires that came on it were the worst! I slid on leaves. I was afraid to drive my new subaru on winter roads until i bought better tires. Couldnt leave car running as the exhaust was aweful! The cvt transmission was troublesome. It was a nice looking car but i needed something with better gas mileage and bigger- i got both! The idiot light wasnt recording the issues i was having so the subaru mechanics couldnt check the potential problems under warranty,"

Great value, quality car

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "All wheel drive, roomy, great handling."

Cons: "Could use more power when heavily loaded."

"The Impreza rarely ranks as absolute best in any one category, but it ranks very high in all categories. Because of this, it's the kind of car I like to own. The Impreza is a great car at the $20k price point. It has the stability of a larger car, true rear-seat legroom, and in my opinion, the hatchback looks sharp. Seats are very comfortable, and the interior is simple with class, and not flashy. The all wheel drive has excellent grip in most conditions, and visibility from the driver's seat is great. The small but efficient engine serves the Impreza well, especially carrying one or two people, as most cars are used, and gives good fuel economy. Acceleration is a little slow when carrying a fully loaded car of 4-5 people, but that's not what this car was made for. However, if you need acceleration, the engine revs nicely. The Impreza feels far more solid than the Chevy Aveo and Hyundai Elantra. The Focus and the Mazda 3 are close competitors. The Impreza has the most room and the most grip of the three. The Ford and Mazda are slightly smaller, but in the end it comes down to personal preference, as they are good cars as well, and may be slightly more efficient. I preferred the driving dynamics (feel, basically) of the Impreza, the usable interior room, and finally, I felt the black and tan hatchback looked sharp for a small car. Faults: -Could use 20 more hp. -Could use more sound deadening. -Average radio. As an economical car, these are acceptable compromises. P.S. This review is for the 5-speed."

2012 impreza premium hatchback

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, space, gas miles"

Cons: "better sound system, better tires"

"I love this car lot more small car. It pickup good. I do not tire put on car. I think another tires. The speak system is ok and fun drive. I have no problems with car. I get 27 and 30 miles in winter time but in summer between 30 and 33. I have lot of trunk space with hatchback. I think great value for awd vehicle. If looking sometime high tech stuff look another car."

Excellent AWD car with great driving stability

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive when its snowing even heavily"

Cons: "gas mileage can be improved and also interiors"

"I love snow driving (though I hate everyday snow and cold weather in Cleveland, OH) ever since I bought this car after traded in my 2011 mazda 3 that was a FWD. The car is absolutely stable in snow and one can change lanes confidently in snow without fear of spinning with appropriate acceleration."

Very happy except for fuel econ & technology

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pros: "price, fun to drive, better than expected pickup"

Cons: "MPG and Phone technology"

"We have the car a little over 2 months and my wife, who drives it 90% of the time is very happy with it except for 2 things. Most important to her is the Bluetooth technology and in this car its very basic. We also own an Audi where when either of us enter the car separately the car easily switches to the user in the car. Also the Impreza's system cannot load your phones contacts. Most important to me is the lower than expected fuel economy. My wife drives the car to work in an urban setting where there is traffic but nothing terrible and current gas mileage runs 21 - 23 MPG. Spoke to the service manager and they advised to wait to the car breaks in which is 3,000 miles. I'm hoping that the MPG gets better as it cant get worse. Has anyone else experienced this problem?"

Solid car all around, the perfect daily driver

By on Monday, January 26, 2015

Pros: "FUN, fast, practical all around, and very reliable"

Cons: "somewhat cheap interior, sound system"

"Came out of a 2008 VW Rabbit and couldn't be happier with my WRX. The car is very practical and is great in all weather situations. One of the best AWD systems I've ever driven on and not to mention it handles like a beast! Only reasons I would not rate 10/10 is because number one, the sound system is as average as can be. Number 2, being used to a German car, I expected more of a solid interior. But these two things aren't a big requirement for me, so overall, I love this car!"

my 2014 impreza sport limited....

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pros: "durable; safe; dependable; nice looking(stylish);"

Cons: "can't own enough. Stopped making the Baja."

"This is the 7th. subaru that my wife and I have owned. Loved every one of them. This 2014 we ordered in 2013 the way we wanted it. We live where the weather gets really bad, and every time, we jump in our impreza and head out to see how many people we can creep by that have gone into the ditch with their 2 or 4 wheel drive vehicles. This includes the big dodge hemi and the heavy duty ford trucks. The dependability of the subaru is untouched. We will forever own and love our subaru. (s) Anyone not considering buying one is not thinking straight. Especially if they have children, they will not be any more safe than in a Subaru."

Subaru stands by their quality... BUT

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "mpgs, awd, stereo, handling, paddle shifters"

Cons: "engine HP, CVT transmission, road noise"

"This car drives very well. It handles as good as any other car in its class. The horsepower is lacking however. with only 148hp its hardly a sports car. I would like to have seen the brz engine in this car. The interior is solid. You have the option for a premium sound system which I heard was very good. I drive to and from NH/DE which is 7 hours one way and I haven't had any problems with discomfort. MY biggest complaint is the CVT transmission. its sluggish and noisy. It would have been better to have a 6 speed auto, and manual transmission option. My favorite things about the car is the leg room and the trunk space is pretty big. considering this is an AWD vehicle, the MPG are very good. I manage 33mpg while doing 70-75 on the highway. this car is 5 star safety rated across the board and is a very affordable car. This is worth every penny. Subaru maintains its high resale value."

STI performance to the max

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive,,,"

Cons: "???"

"This is one of the best performance cars,, there are,!! Snow is no problem for the STI,,!! It is like it was built for snow condition,,!! I love my STI"

Fun and economical four wheel drive.

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Economical, good in snow and fun to drive."

Cons: "Not as peppy as its sporty appearance."

"This is a fun little car. It gets great mileage and has proven itself to be up the the challenge of heavy snow. It is a little underpowered and the radio is not so hot. All in all, it is well worth the price."

Very quick car.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Lots of fun to drive"

"Very good handling car. Never driven in snow,sure it would be fine with a good set of snows."

I love my car!

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

"We got our subaru last year when we decided to move to WI. It's always great to be the only one of my friends that has a car that doesn't mind the snow."

One of the best cars I have ever owned. Nice firm

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "It's "all good"."

Cons: "Covers on the front window pillars "buzz" a bit."

"A taught, but comfortable, ride with precise handling. You'll think you're in a sports or rally car. 2.0L engine has enough guts to get you wherever you're going, quickly. I'm getting 27-28 mpg on my 60 mi. commute and a little less when I'm "playing". If you like to drive, you'll really like this car."

Fast! Fun! Bit cheap on the inside.

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun fun fun"

Cons: "Shoddy interior, poor paint quality"

"If you want a car that has alot of power, good handling on and off the road, and aren't too concerned about the little things then this is the car for you. I Went from a 2009 VW Golf to this and I can say that the quality is by far less superior on the inside. This car is pretty fun to drive, and it is an animal. But as such, you can tell that most of the R&D went into the drivetrain. Inside, although my car is only 3 years old and has under 50K miles, the interior is quickly deteriorating.... the switches and knobs feel cheap. The doors and dash are all made of hard plastic, and just cruising down the freeway you can hear constant creaking and rattling coming from the dash and door panels. My heater vent on the drivers side has completely fallen into the dash (and I have NEVER moved it, just fell in going over a speedbump about a week ago) My passenger side window switch works for rolling it down but dosen't roll the window up... (30,000 miles!?) And I have paint peeling off of my roof in some spots.... But I will say that the driving experience is superb. If you want a car to drive that is fun and exciting, buy a WRX... if you are going to be driving alot, and not in a fun/sporty manner, buy something else. I would buy one again... but only for a toy."

Great small hatchback for Northeast winters

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, roomy interior for small car"

Cons: "bad tires"

"I have owned several Subarus, including the second model year of the Impreza, which only died after about 18 years because a deer decided to jump on the hood. This Impreza is roomier inside and has some nice features. Gas mileage is very good for an AWD. The tires that came on the car are cheaply made and not very rugged. Have had to replace one already. My other Subarus had Bridgestone or Michelin tires, which were both good. This car is not designed to live for eighteen years, but at this point neither am I."

Love this car

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow and rain"

Cons: "It gets dirty"

"I traded a Toyota and am happy I did! The Toyota dealerships in this area are sub-standard and were very disappointing to me considering Toyota is known for customer service. I got my Subaru and have enjoyed it every bit as much as my previous Camry. Plus, since I live in the Northeast, this car is made to go in snow and rain; weather is no issue with Subaru. The dealership is honest and fair. I got a great deal. I am going into my third year with this car. It's fun to drive, reliable, gets great mileage and handles beautifully. I know why Subaru is Love!"

excellent control when changing lanes or on turns

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "responsive handling, solid feel, great visibility!"

Cons: "noisier at highway speeds, am OK with it"

"I've really enjoyed driving this car since 2012 - found it to be more enjoyable to drive and with greater responsiveness and all-around fun than the BMW 328xi wagon despite costing a whole lot less. Superb zero-40mph acceleration despite not having a big engine... Thin A and B pillars and resultant clear sight-lines are a big contributor to the feeling of control when driving this car. I have used it mostly as a commuter car, but it is awesome when challenged. The hatchback can even carry several pieces of 8' long lumber with rear seat folded and front seat reclined. On a single-lane winding mountain road that I use sometimes, it seems to be more nimble and corner more stably (with greater margin) at the same speed than Audis and BMWs ahead or behind me. Thrilled with it!"

2014 Impreza Premium w/ MT

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Price, AWD, Braking, Handling, All-Weather Package"

Cons: "Overly sensitive steering and clutch"

"The CVT is slow and clunky, so I got the manual transmission; SO MUCH better! They are hard to find, but definitely worth the wait. While I would not call the car fast, it is very "eager." Each time I shift up a gear, it wants to go! The extra torque adds performance and it is fun to drive. For those complaining about mileage: this is the most fuel efficient AWD vehicle in production right now; you're not gonna get anything better. And of course your mileage will depend heavily on how you drive it. There is no point in comparing the Impreza to something like a Ford Focus, because the Impreza is much heavier and has a compeltely different drivetrain. They have little in common aside from their general size. For oil complaints: This car requires synthetic 20-weight oil only. Anything else will burn up quickly and eventually cause damage. I don't understand the technology complaints either: it has many more bells and whistles than my Honda Civic, at a very good price. The steering and clutch are very sensitive, and it's taking me a while to get used to them. However, I absolutely love this car; I will be keeping it as long as it runs. Which should be at least 10 years."

Not built with quality in mind.

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Practical"

Cons: "EVERYTHING is cheaply made on this car!!!"

"I have had my 2013 WRX Premium Hatch for one year and 13.5k miles and the car is already looking terrible and needs to go in for warranty work. I have countless chips all over the nose of the car, many of which are through down to bare metal and are beginning to rust. I could understand if I had a highway commute to work but it's all back roads ranging from 30-40mph. Subaru is notorious for horrible paint (google search) I've come to find out and simply puts the blame on the customer as they did to me. My throw out bearing is making a whining when cold and rattle noise when warmed up when the clutch is being engaged. Interior is pathetically cheap as it scratches and looks awful too easily. Many of my friends had older Subarus and had great luck but apparently the quality isn't there as it once was. The only positives are that the car is very good in snow, practical and fun to drive however many people have had issues with piston ringlands so it makes you not want to drive the car spirited. If the car is showing this much wear after a year I'm scared to see what it will be like when I have paid it off, currently looking for a new car."

Decent car for the price!

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Good car, good value and reliability!"

Cons: "Lacks power, sportiness and refined interior"

"To be fair to anybody who reads this review I want to make clear I don't own this car. However, my significant other does and we trade off driving it from time to time. Now, with that said I do like the car. The interior is simple if a bit plain. The exterior is reminiscent of the Honda Fit but more curved and sloped (I like that). The ride is comfortable as are the seats. Subaru finally made their seats comfy. The drive is underwhelming. Most car companies have found a way to make their CVT's shift smoothly and quietly or come up with new ways to boost traditional engine power and efficiency (see Mazda Sky-active Tech), Subaru has failed in this regard with the Impreza. The car is loud and noisy at low gears and the CVT does not seem to want to shift when one expects it would. When it does shift the change is noticeable and harsh. However, the CVT does seem to give the car some extra umph at low gears and on the freeway (a definite need for an AWD car). I should not fail to mention it comes with a decent batch of standard features. But for young car enthusiast it seems to lack the finishing touches. The speaker system is subpar (I'm being generous) and the ride leaves a lot to be desired. The interior layout, while fine, is a bit bland. The metal colored interior appears fake and the controls are utilitarian. But hey, unlike the Subaru Forester, at least it comes with a black interior. All in all, not a bad car but not close to great either. Addendum: My loyalty to Subaru (I drove them when I was younger) probably makes me rate this car higher than I should. But what can I say? I am a sentimentalist."

I have owned 3 subarues this one by far the best.I

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Its more than fun to drive,"

Cons: "Yes it has 4"

"I love the dual transmison and anti skid control, It went through 12 inches of snow and sleet ( no problem ) I have kept it in mint condition including oil changes etc. You could eat off the engine."

Decent car, hard to love, hard to dislike

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Smooth on highway, roomy, overall good design"

Cons: "Noisy, terrible sound system, needs 6th gear"

"Sometimes you get what you pay for. This is a reasonable car for a reasonable price. It is "ultilitarian" - will go in any weather and will be mechanically reliable. It is roomy and comfortable. It feels glued to the payment and although not speedy, quick emough. So, what's not to like? The sound system is atrocious - not sure why, as a few more dollars in price would probably not chased away buyers? The manual transmission needs a 6th gear. It is great on country roads, but a little "clumsy" in the City. It is less fun to drive than car #2 Mazda3 Sport, and less of a highway cruiser than car #3 Subabru Legacy - but I really do like the Impreza."