2012 Subaru Impreza

8.2

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

STI performance to the max

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive,,,"

Cons: "???"

"This is one of the best performance cars,, there are,!! Snow is no problem for the STI,,!! It is like it was built for snow condition,,!! I love my STI"

Fun and economical four wheel drive.

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Economical, good in snow and fun to drive."

Cons: "Not as peppy as its sporty appearance."

"This is a fun little car. It gets great mileage and has proven itself to be up the the challenge of heavy snow. It is a little underpowered and the radio is not so hot. All in all, it is well worth the price."

Very quick car.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Lots of fun to drive"

"Very good handling car. Never driven in snow,sure it would be fine with a good set of snows."

I love my car!

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

"We got our subaru last year when we decided to move to WI. It's always great to be the only one of my friends that has a car that doesn't mind the snow."

One of the best cars I have ever owned. Nice firm

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "It's "all good"."

Cons: "Covers on the front window pillars "buzz" a bit."

"A taught, but comfortable, ride with precise handling. You'll think you're in a sports or rally car. 2.0L engine has enough guts to get you wherever you're going, quickly. I'm getting 27-28 mpg on my 60 mi. commute and a little less when I'm "playing". If you like to drive, you'll really like this car."

Fast! Fun! Bit cheap on the inside.

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun fun fun"

Cons: "Shoddy interior, poor paint quality"

"If you want a car that has alot of power, good handling on and off the road, and aren't too concerned about the little things then this is the car for you. I Went from a 2009 VW Golf to this and I can say that the quality is by far less superior on the inside. This car is pretty fun to drive, and it is an animal. But as such, you can tell that most of the R&D went into the drivetrain. Inside, although my car is only 3 years old and has under 50K miles, the interior is quickly deteriorating.... the switches and knobs feel cheap. The doors and dash are all made of hard plastic, and just cruising down the freeway you can hear constant creaking and rattling coming from the dash and door panels. My heater vent on the drivers side has completely fallen into the dash (and I have NEVER moved it, just fell in going over a speedbump about a week ago) My passenger side window switch works for rolling it down but dosen't roll the window up... (30,000 miles!?) And I have paint peeling off of my roof in some spots.... But I will say that the driving experience is superb. If you want a car to drive that is fun and exciting, buy a WRX... if you are going to be driving alot, and not in a fun/sporty manner, buy something else. I would buy one again... but only for a toy."

Great small hatchback for Northeast winters

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, roomy interior for small car"

Cons: "bad tires"

"I have owned several Subarus, including the second model year of the Impreza, which only died after about 18 years because a deer decided to jump on the hood. This Impreza is roomier inside and has some nice features. Gas mileage is very good for an AWD. The tires that came on the car are cheaply made and not very rugged. Have had to replace one already. My other Subarus had Bridgestone or Michelin tires, which were both good. This car is not designed to live for eighteen years, but at this point neither am I."

Love this car

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow and rain"

Cons: "It gets dirty"

"I traded a Toyota and am happy I did! The Toyota dealerships in this area are sub-standard and were very disappointing to me considering Toyota is known for customer service. I got my Subaru and have enjoyed it every bit as much as my previous Camry. Plus, since I live in the Northeast, this car is made to go in snow and rain; weather is no issue with Subaru. The dealership is honest and fair. I got a great deal. I am going into my third year with this car. It's fun to drive, reliable, gets great mileage and handles beautifully. I know why Subaru is Love!"

excellent control when changing lanes or on turns

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "responsive handling, solid feel, great visibility!"

Cons: "noisier at highway speeds, am OK with it"

"I've really enjoyed driving this car since 2012 - found it to be more enjoyable to drive and with greater responsiveness and all-around fun than the BMW 328xi wagon despite costing a whole lot less. Superb zero-40mph acceleration despite not having a big engine... Thin A and B pillars and resultant clear sight-lines are a big contributor to the feeling of control when driving this car. I have used it mostly as a commuter car, but it is awesome when challenged. The hatchback can even carry several pieces of 8' long lumber with rear seat folded and front seat reclined. On a single-lane winding mountain road that I use sometimes, it seems to be more nimble and corner more stably (with greater margin) at the same speed than Audis and BMWs ahead or behind me. Thrilled with it!"

2014 Impreza Premium w/ MT

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Price, AWD, Braking, Handling, All-Weather Package"

Cons: "Overly sensitive steering and clutch"

"The CVT is slow and clunky, so I got the manual transmission; SO MUCH better! They are hard to find, but definitely worth the wait. While I would not call the car fast, it is very "eager." Each time I shift up a gear, it wants to go! The extra torque adds performance and it is fun to drive. For those complaining about mileage: this is the most fuel efficient AWD vehicle in production right now; you're not gonna get anything better. And of course your mileage will depend heavily on how you drive it. There is no point in comparing the Impreza to something like a Ford Focus, because the Impreza is much heavier and has a compeltely different drivetrain. They have little in common aside from their general size. For oil complaints: This car requires synthetic 20-weight oil only. Anything else will burn up quickly and eventually cause damage. I don't understand the technology complaints either: it has many more bells and whistles than my Honda Civic, at a very good price. The steering and clutch are very sensitive, and it's taking me a while to get used to them. However, I absolutely love this car; I will be keeping it as long as it runs. Which should be at least 10 years."

Not built with quality in mind.

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Practical"

Cons: "EVERYTHING is cheaply made on this car!!!"

"I have had my 2013 WRX Premium Hatch for one year and 13.5k miles and the car is already looking terrible and needs to go in for warranty work. I have countless chips all over the nose of the car, many of which are through down to bare metal and are beginning to rust. I could understand if I had a highway commute to work but it's all back roads ranging from 30-40mph. Subaru is notorious for horrible paint (google search) I've come to find out and simply puts the blame on the customer as they did to me. My throw out bearing is making a whining when cold and rattle noise when warmed up when the clutch is being engaged. Interior is pathetically cheap as it scratches and looks awful too easily. Many of my friends had older Subarus and had great luck but apparently the quality isn't there as it once was. The only positives are that the car is very good in snow, practical and fun to drive however many people have had issues with piston ringlands so it makes you not want to drive the car spirited. If the car is showing this much wear after a year I'm scared to see what it will be like when I have paid it off, currently looking for a new car."

Decent car for the price!

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Good car, good value and reliability!"

Cons: "Lacks power, sportiness and refined interior"

"To be fair to anybody who reads this review I want to make clear I don't own this car. However, my significant other does and we trade off driving it from time to time. Now, with that said I do like the car. The interior is simple if a bit plain. The exterior is reminiscent of the Honda Fit but more curved and sloped (I like that). The ride is comfortable as are the seats. Subaru finally made their seats comfy. The drive is underwhelming. Most car companies have found a way to make their CVT's shift smoothly and quietly or come up with new ways to boost traditional engine power and efficiency (see Mazda Sky-active Tech), Subaru has failed in this regard with the Impreza. The car is loud and noisy at low gears and the CVT does not seem to want to shift when one expects it would. When it does shift the change is noticeable and harsh. However, the CVT does seem to give the car some extra umph at low gears and on the freeway (a definite need for an AWD car). I should not fail to mention it comes with a decent batch of standard features. But for young car enthusiast it seems to lack the finishing touches. The speaker system is subpar (I'm being generous) and the ride leaves a lot to be desired. The interior layout, while fine, is a bit bland. The metal colored interior appears fake and the controls are utilitarian. But hey, unlike the Subaru Forester, at least it comes with a black interior. All in all, not a bad car but not close to great either. Addendum: My loyalty to Subaru (I drove them when I was younger) probably makes me rate this car higher than I should. But what can I say? I am a sentimentalist."

I have owned 3 subarues this one by far the best.I

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Its more than fun to drive,"

Cons: "Yes it has 4"

"I love the dual transmison and anti skid control, It went through 12 inches of snow and sleet ( no problem ) I have kept it in mint condition including oil changes etc. You could eat off the engine."

Decent car, hard to love, hard to dislike

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Smooth on highway, roomy, overall good design"

Cons: "Noisy, terrible sound system, needs 6th gear"

"Sometimes you get what you pay for. This is a reasonable car for a reasonable price. It is "ultilitarian" - will go in any weather and will be mechanically reliable. It is roomy and comfortable. It feels glued to the payment and although not speedy, quick emough. So, what's not to like? The sound system is atrocious - not sure why, as a few more dollars in price would probably not chased away buyers? The manual transmission needs a 6th gear. It is great on country roads, but a little "clumsy" in the City. It is less fun to drive than car #2 Mazda3 Sport, and less of a highway cruiser than car #3 Subabru Legacy - but I really do like the Impreza."

Great MPG

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG, Comfortable, spacious, hands free"

Cons: "Price, Weak acceleration,"

"I get 29 mpg on city streets and about 37-40 mpg on highways. The car handles great and is well worth the money, especially if you live anywhere where it snows a significant amount. The one major downside of the car is that it lacks pep. Acceleration is pretty slow when trying to reach highway speeds. I've had some issues with the car starting right away, but I've had it checked and apparently nothing is wrong..."

very impressed with my subaru

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "mpgs, snow beast, etc."

"I have owned the car for about a year now. I was happy with it all along but a few months back a couple of heavy snows (heavy for us) hit Birmingham AL and that is when the car really earned its keep. I couldn't of been happier with its performance and can honestly say that it never lost traction unless i made it. I was going up hills 4x4s were stuck on. I recommend the car because it has incredible versatility and good mpg. great on the highway. I can squeeze 38-40 mpg out of it on an all highway trip. My 2 complaints about the vehicle is #1 i have and 6 month old little girl and with her rear facing car seat in the back, it doesn't leave much leg room for front seat passenger, and #2 its a little lacking on power but will do whatever you ask with encouragement and it does not hold it back what so ever. Hope this was helpfull. Thanks for your time"

Good Car for Around Town - Not Good Commuter Car

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Good snow traction and handling at low speeds"

Cons: "Burns oil, noisy, poor highway handling"

"The realized mileage is about 28 MPG. I find the car too light for highway driving in the snow or rain, even with top notch tires. Returned to dealer six times for the same check engine light related to the variable value timing. Quite noisy on on the highway, again with top of the line tires. Burns about a quart of oil every 1300-1500 miles and quite a few interior rattles. Very disappointed in my first/last subaru. Previously owned toyota camary's with little to no issues. Basically drove the toyotas off the lot and ran them to 250,000 miles with only regular oil changes, brakes and tires. Subaru was a major let down."

stylish, sporty and reliable

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great cargo space, great in the snow"

Cons: "trunk latching, Bluetooth, headliner pulling away"

"This is my second Subaru- I had owner and loved a 1993 Legacy wagon up until 2003 when I was in an accident. I drove a new Chevy Aveo and a new Kia Soul! between and always missed my Subaru. Finally, I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza Limited new, fresh from the dealer. It is amazing. The brakes were perfect from day one, it handles like a champ, and feels solid (something I missed in my past two vehicles.) My only complaints are that the trunk doesn't shut well/easily- I have to really slam it to get it to latch correctly, that the upgraded stereo system is not very loud (and I'm not even a loud music person,) and that some of the headliner is pulling away from around the moon roof and windshield (since day one.) Also, the Bluetooth system is much more difficult to use than the ones I've had in the past. The car handles well in the snow (and my driveway is an unpaved, steep, crazy mess! There is a ton of cargo space in a very small footprint (especially with the seats down.)I get great gas milage (32.9 MPG for combined highway/city driving 60 miles a day, 5 days a week.) Overall, just a very nice car."

Best I ever had!

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great utility and fun!"

Cons: "Stereo system needs to be updated"

"This has been by far my favorite vehicle. I have owned close to 20 different cars and trucks through the years and nothing has this combination of utility and sport. Many have suggested upgrading the stock performance on this car but even at stock this car will out perform 80% of the vehicles on and off the road! If you do decide to modify the car... Well some of the Porsches and BMWs that I have owned would not hold a candle to it in a modified form! But by far my favorite concept is its utility. I do not go to the track on a regular basis and I have a family this car fits into that category wonderfully (with plenty of acceleration running errands)."

Best car for snowy roads!

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Good price, secure on any road surface, good MPG's"

"I have driven Subaru's for almost 15 years now and the 2014 Impreza Sedan is far and away the BEST machine I have ever driven on slippery, slushy roads. I am one of those aggressive winter drivers and my Impreza took everything I threw at it and begged for more! It is quick, nimble, and sure footed like no other vehicle I have ever driven! The Impreza makes you feel safe and in control. All the while getting great gas mileage. I would recommend this car to anyone!"

A little disappointed to be honest...

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Price, leg room, AWD"

Cons: "Interior build quality, performance, speakers"

"Before I go out to buy a new vehicle, I read tons of online reviews, ask other owner's opinions, and pick the brains of my mechanics before I make my final decision. I know how useful a heartfelt and in-depth review is to most people. So here we go... I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium CVT (hatch) last June, 2013. I had never owned a Subaru until I purchased this vehicle. My main "needs" for purchasing this vehicle: I needed to fit comfortably in the car (I am 6'3"), needed something reliable, needed AWD for NE weather, and needed good gas mileage. I commute 120 miles everyday to and from work. Right now I am just shy of 30,000 miles, so I wanted to give an in-depth owner review. Starting from price paid: I got a pretty decent deal on this car. I showed up to the dealer with no intent of purchasing my Impreza that day. However, they made me an offer I could not refuse for my old Toyota Corolla (which had 245,00 miles on the original motor and transmission and I had ZERO issues with) and shaved quite a bit off the Window Price to make room for the 2014 stock. I did not want this exterior color, or interior color, but like I said the price was just too good to pass up so I sacrificed some of my "wants" for price. My first "need": I am 6'3"; I did not fit well in my old Toyota Corolla. I needed something that was more comfortable for longer rides to accommodate how long of a commute I have. I fit comfortably in this car. The seats are not the best, but they are not the worst either. Added lumbar support would make all the difference. With my seat all the way back, there is still plenty of room in the back seat for other (normal sized) people. In one instance, folding down the rear seats I was able to cut some sheet stock plywood in half and haul that back to my house from the Depot with ease (not bad in my opinion). My second "need": I can't really complain about the reliability at this point. Just shy of 30,000 and there have not been any major issues. I have regularly changed my oil every 3,000 miles. One thing to note, which hasn't posed an issue yet... but it might: This engine burns a LOT of oil. I saw quite a few other reviewers commenting on this as well. Every time that I have changed my oil to date, I have noticed that my car is burning 1 to 1/2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. Not sure if this is normal with Subaru's, not ever owning one before. But my old Corolla would spit out whatever you put in it 3,000 miles later. Hopefully this doesn't get worse as my car gets older. My third "need": the AWD in this car is pretty good from what I've thrown at it so far, but I really have not been able to test the true capabilities due to the fact that the tires that come on these rims are absolutely terrible. Do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of continentals. I did 3/4 of the way through this winter, and I wished I did sooner they make all the difference. With the stock Yokahamas that come on these rims, turning or trying to pull yourself out of 6" of snow is impossible, even with AWD. I drove in a couple dozen snow storms this winter back and forth to work, and I wish I got different tires sooner. With the continentals that I have on it now, I'm pretty sure I could climb the Eifel Tower in this car hahaha My fourth "need": I have averaged 26-29 mpg on this car. In the winter I have seen as low as 24 mpg, and summer high as 32 mpg. Do not go by the gauge on the dash, mine is off my about 3 mpg in either direction. I was hoping that I could get the window advertised gas mileage, but I have not come close. To be honest, I think it is the 2.0 in this car. To get up to highway speeds and maintain 60-80 mph definitely pushes this car to its limits with aggressive highway driving (I have to in my commute, or you might as well get run over). I did not buy this car for performance, but you would think that the EPA ratings would take into account aggressive highway driving into their calculations. I know a couple of other people who get similar mileage as I do and have slightly shorter commutes. I was getting 34 mpg minimum with my old Toyota... I want to touch upon a couple other things with this car that I have noticed: I find that the cup holder arrangement is very odd, considering the armrest goes over one of the cup holders. It is not ergonomically friendly. This is probably not something that you would notice right away, but at 530 am when you are leaving for work, fumbling with your coffee mug can get messy. The stereo is NOT a strong point for this car. One thing about me, I am always listening to music where ever I go, so the fact that Subaru could not get a decent stereo in here is pretty disappointing. The passenger side dash speaker died 2 months into me owning this car, still haven't fixed it yet, I will get around to it eventually. The "upgraded" stereo system does not sound that much better, by the way, and in my opinion is not worth the extra money. Do yourself a favor and get a professional system installed. Don't even bother with the blue tooth... My dashboard is coming loose. This can definitely be attributed to the fact that 90% of Massachusetts roads are garbage and filled with pot holes, but the amount of dashboard noise I have right now is what a 15 year old car should sound like, not a 9 month old car. If you are listening to songs that are bassy you can even hear the pieces of plastic that have broken off shaking around on the inside of the dash. Normally this wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me, but since I drive 120 miles every day this gets pretty annoying fast. There is not as much road noise as everyone else says... The motor in this car is pretty lack-luster. Like I mentioned above, I did not buy this car for its performance. But I would have expected it to be a little peppier considering it is such a small car. If this went back to the 2.5 L that was in the older Impreza's, I'm sure I would be more happy. I was reluctant on buying this vehicle with the CVT. I will say I am very impressed with the CVT transmission. It is seamless going up to speed, and playing with the paddle shifters is fun on back roads. Having the extra 6th "gear" is nice for cruising. I put "gear" in quotations because it technically is just a ratio, not a gear. The paint that Subaru used on the exterior is pretty soft. If you were to take your thumb nail and press it up agains the paint on the car, you would see a mark permanently left there. Overall, I would say that this car is a solid car that meets my needs (generally). From this post, you can probably tell that I am getting into the nit picky, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. It is definitely not the most high quality vehicle you can buy, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimal issues. To be honest, I don't know if I would buy another Subaru, just because the interior build quality is so terrible. If this car actually got the advertised window MPG, I would probably be a happy customer. Its the little things that add up with this one... I think next vehicle I am just going to buy another Toyota."

Great 4-wheel drive and great MPG

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "MPG, 4WD"

Cons: "Noisy"

"This is a great car. Almost 50K with no service other than oil changes. 4WD was great over this lousy winter, but gas mileage has held at 28 mpg average. Only complaint is cabin is kind of loud -- lots of engine and road noise."

expected speed and handling, and I got It !

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "affordable price, Real and capable sports car"

Cons: "5 speed manual, long-throw shifter"

"Don't buy the WRX for the creature comforts. It is raw, designed and sold to offer a particular driving experience in a reasonable price point. I have a 2001 Porsche Boxter S to compare and both are 2 different but similar cars. Rear-wheel, roadster vs. AWD, sedan practicality; with similar driving fun-factor. Don't pick apart the car for the 'cheap' interior, stereo system, etc. For under $27,000, one is getting a Real sports sedan that can handle any driving situation confronted (and some, for added enjoyment). Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the WRX is a very capable car. This car is part of a 5 car family fleet fulfilling a gap which offers year-round usability, sedan passenger capability, and sport driving options (on dry pavement). One Con is the shifter, but I'll be changing it to a short-throw in the near future. As for reliability, there are many resources out there you can read to confirm this. I didn't consider the WRX STI because then it would have contradicted the very reason why I bought the WRX...reasonable price for real sports car speed/handling/capability. For $36,000, it would change what I would have expected to get for that price (better audio system, quality interior materials, much higher horsepower upgrade)."

Oil burner

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Reason: using oil 1 quart at only 1300 miles.

Pros: "IT goes in the snow,good power,good gas mileage."

Cons: "oil burner."

"If it did not use oil I would have kept it.The new 2.0 motors,are having some problems acording to dealer, other people are complaining about this.Some are fine but other's are not,it just kept getting worse first 1 quart at 4300 miles,then 2000 miles, then 1300 miles.I would not get the 2.0 motor until they fix this problem.One more thing if you look in your owners book under oil it say's they do not consider oil usage bad unless it's 1 quart in 1200 miles."

Ultimate driving machine

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Eye catcher and truly a fun car to drive"

Cons: "If mileage is your thing!"

"This is a driver's car. It responds to you quickly and reliably. This car is game for any difficult maneuver. Want speed and acceleration? you got it and you can customize it with torque controls. The suspension system and the brakes are excellent as well. You can drive this car all day long and yet feel fresh. Overall a very nice sports car that is family friendly as well with 4 doors and a good size trunk."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next