2012 Subaru Impreza

8.2

Based on 81 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Worth a drive

By on Saturday, May 16, 2015

Pros: "Safety, handling, headlights, visibility, mpg."

Cons: "Could use vtec second wind."

"I own a 2015 Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium hatchback/5 doors with CVT. What be bought had to be safe, reliable, fuel efficient and have room for a ¾ size bass (double-bass). AWD was not a priority. 2.0L engine is responsive and has enough guts, but it is no WRX. In the past, Japanese engines had to rev high to get power out of them as opposed to german engines having a flatter torque curve. This car has Teutonic DNA from somewhere. Great handling. Transmission is a lot more refined than what Subaru offered just 5 years ago. Averaging 34 mpg in mixed driving at 4,300 mi. I followed Porsche break-in procedure, so far so good. The family does not think noise is an issue inside the cabin. Gone is the wind noise that plagued our '97 Outback. The sound system surprised me with bass, even if car has no trunk. And the Bluetooth and USB connectivity for music and hands-free cellphone are a great feature. I can't speak for the Starlink app as I do not own a smart phone. Back seat is surprisingly roomy. 2 people 6 feet tall no complains."

Great for what it's built to do.

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive. Excellent fuel economy."

Cons: "Small cargo area"

"I purchased my used 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i premium hatchback for the AWD and fuel economy. After reading a lot of reviews, I was expecting a really underpowered car that wouldn't perform well. I was pleasantly surprised. Having driven a Durango with a HEMI previously, I knew that my experience in the much smaller Impreza could be disappointing. I was not prepared for the overall responsiveness of the car. Comparing the two is not a good idea, but lets just say, that for commuting, I don't miss the HEMI at all. Fuel costs have halved for me, as well as most maintenance costs. The CVT is different. I was expecting something annoying and unresponsive, but in manual mode it works well, a little lag in the higher simulated gears, but if you keep RPMs high it's not a problem. The CVT whine that many talk about is only really noticeable in the drive mode in the lower range.(Up to around 35 mph) Road noise is normal, I can hear my music well, and other people's conversation (which is not always good) at highway speeds. The CVT does a good job at slowing the car down hills. Living in an area with a lot of hills, this has kept me safe and out of trouble. The CVT also does a good job slowing the car in the simulated down-shift. I won't make the claim that it is as fun to drive as a manual transmission, but the paddle shifters, once you get used to them, do allow for a little fun. Of course the AWD is fantastic. No issues when driving in Northern MI at all. Finally, no oil problems. I was told that it would use a little oil, however with regular oil changes (3,000-4,000 miles) it has not been an issue. Great car. I really enjoy driving it."

Imprezza Limited with Automatic (CVT).

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Uncommon, quality, awd, cult like following, mpg"

Cons: "Rear seat room for large adults would be just okay"

"i just took possessiom a few weeks ago. So far, I have not even the slightest reason to take the car back to the dealer for warranty work. The build quality is perfect. So far, i am getting 31 mpg in mostly city driving. There is almost no engine vibration due to the horizontally opposed boxter engine. Road noise is good, perhaps could be improved a little, but I have no regrets. The car grows on me the more I drive it. The cvt requires some getting used to as it is not a fluid and geared transmission we are all used too. The cvt creates many more "gear" ratios and the reason an awd can get such good mileage. I rarely exceed 2000 rpms under any circumstances since I have learned to wait for the wheel speed to catch up with engine rpms. Again it takes just a few days to get used to cvt....I would not be afraid of this option. My one criticism is the radio sound quality. It is a little tinny and cheap sounding in what is otherwise a very nice car. I will be exploring what can be done including upgrading."

An exceptional vehicle, lacking some niceties

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, handling, mpg, practical, price"

Cons: "few ammenities, road noise"

"Ok, so I have read most of the reviews, seen the pros and cons, and I have to say I think Subarus are WAY under-rated. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Supra turbo... beautiful vehicle with incredible handling and comfortable design. And costly, something I could not take out in inclement weather, terrible gas mileage and not practical for getting around town or carrying anything more than groceries or 1 other passenger. This is my first Subaru, but I have been around people who have owned them for decades. The warranty covers more than most (your 10yr/100k covers so little and is non-transferrable for example), extended warranties are very well priced, they are notoriously reliable, safe, practical and I already know I can trust my Impreza in a pinch in any situation. Some may say "AWD is fine for bad weather, but otherwise just more gas and more maintenance"... but they don't know what they're talking about. Subaru's get better gas mileage than anything in its class and comparable to most 2WD systems. The symmetrical AWD system of the Subaru takes less components and are proven to need less maintenance. And I have been in so many situations on dry road, in good conditions where I used to wish I had AWD, if only to better avoid bad drivers, road hazards, have more confidence on the road, etc. My Supra was great for that in optimal conditions. My Subaru is great in ALL conditions. My friend got a Hyundai Sonata with a bunch of features... I admit I wish the Subarus had a few more luxuries... but mostly I hear people talk about how they hardly use those features. And people ask "when do you really need AWD??" If you have to ask that question, then you really don't understand the value of a great AWD system, and probably won't until it is too late. It may be just that ONE time you need that makes it more than worth it. But likely its just the ability to drive confidently in any weather, go camping at REAL campsites, be more able to respond to unknowns, or simply knowing your loved ones are safer that makes it the right decision. So it does cost more to get the Symmetrical AWD and you lose a few features... from my experience driving just about eveything but the priciest vehicles, you get at least as good handling, reliability, and safey as an Audi, lose some luxury features, less quiet cabin, and save around $15k, more affordable upkeep, and great resale value. Don't get me wrong... I have driven the Sonata and Corolla and they are fine cars... I am just glad I don't have to drive them anymore. I liked some additional features in the Sonota and the Corolla runs well and is reliable. But maybe because my experience in cars has been sport cars previously, I felt afraid to drive them down the road , especially on the highway. When you know the difference, you can feel what these cars CAN'T do. If you've seen them in accidents, you know what you WANT them to do. That, to me, is more than worth a few more bucks for great AWD system and better safety. A lot folks I know who work overseas in various posts prefer Subarus as well, knowing wherever they go they'll have minimal vehicle issues and can get out of Dodge if need be!"

Smart, Practical, Fun

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "MPG improvement, AWD, comfortable interior"

Cons: "CVT is not yet perfect"

"After more than four months of ownership (Premium hatchback), I still get a kick out of this car. It's plenty quick (we have the CVT) and smooth, handles precisely, provides great 360-degree visibility, and has a peaceful interior. It's comfortable, uncluttered, and spacious for a compact. Plenty of storage spaces, too. Wind and engine noise are minimal, road noise can become noticeable on some surfaces. The sound system is about average for the class, which means it's a big step forward for a Subaru. Storage space in the back is ample, and with the rear seats folded flat, you can stow a lot of stuff. The seats are comfortable and have tons of adjustment. Buff books and enthusiasts moan about the CVT, but it's better than most automatic transmissions. When you need power, it's there. It's not perfect yet, but Subaru has already issued two updates to the programming to improve performance. We're quite happy with it as it is, and it will only get better. We've been averaging about 32 mpg around town, and up to 34.5 in mostly-highway driving, even in the mountains. The Impreza has no trouble crossing the Continental Divide, at 11,000 feet, at 70 mph. My wife and I opted for the moonroof/alloy wheels/winter package. We enjoy them at least as much as we expected. Fit and finish seem excellent; the doors open and close with little effort. All that makes it comparable to, if not superior to, most other compacts. But the Impreza adds AWD, and in snow country, that puts it way above the competition."