2012 Subaru Impreza

8.0

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Love this car

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow and rain"

Cons: "It gets dirty"

"I traded a Toyota and am happy I did! The Toyota dealerships in this area are sub-standard and were very disappointing to me considering Toyota is known for customer service. I got my Subaru and have enjoyed it every bit as much as my previous Camry. Plus, since I live in the Northeast, this car is made to go in snow and rain; weather is no issue with Subaru. The dealership is honest and fair. I got a great deal. I am going into my third year with this car. It's fun to drive, reliable, gets great mileage and handles beautifully. I know why Subaru is Love!"

excellent control when changing lanes or on turns

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "responsive handling, solid feel, great visibility!"

Cons: "noisier at highway speeds, am OK with it"

"I've really enjoyed driving this car since 2012 - found it to be more enjoyable to drive and with greater responsiveness and all-around fun than the BMW 328xi wagon despite costing a whole lot less. Superb zero-40mph acceleration despite not having a big engine... Thin A and B pillars and resultant clear sight-lines are a big contributor to the feeling of control when driving this car. I have used it mostly as a commuter car, but it is awesome when challenged. The hatchback can even carry several pieces of 8' long lumber with rear seat folded and front seat reclined. On a single-lane winding mountain road that I use sometimes, it seems to be more nimble and corner more stably (with greater margin) at the same speed than Audis and BMWs ahead or behind me. Thrilled with it!"

2014 Impreza Premium w/ MT

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Price, AWD, Braking, Handling, All-Weather Package"

Cons: "Overly sensitive steering and clutch"

"The CVT is slow and clunky, so I got the manual transmission; SO MUCH better! They are hard to find, but definitely worth the wait. While I would not call the car fast, it is very "eager." Each time I shift up a gear, it wants to go! The extra torque adds performance and it is fun to drive. For those complaining about mileage: this is the most fuel efficient AWD vehicle in production right now; you're not gonna get anything better. And of course your mileage will depend heavily on how you drive it. There is no point in comparing the Impreza to something like a Ford Focus, because the Impreza is much heavier and has a compeltely different drivetrain. They have little in common aside from their general size. For oil complaints: This car requires synthetic 20-weight oil only. Anything else will burn up quickly and eventually cause damage. I don't understand the technology complaints either: it has many more bells and whistles than my Honda Civic, at a very good price. The steering and clutch are very sensitive, and it's taking me a while to get used to them. However, I absolutely love this car; I will be keeping it as long as it runs. Which should be at least 10 years."

Not built with quality in mind.

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Practical"

Cons: "EVERYTHING is cheaply made on this car!!!"

"I have had my 2013 WRX Premium Hatch for one year and 13.5k miles and the car is already looking terrible and needs to go in for warranty work. I have countless chips all over the nose of the car, many of which are through down to bare metal and are beginning to rust. I could understand if I had a highway commute to work but it's all back roads ranging from 30-40mph. Subaru is notorious for horrible paint (google search) I've come to find out and simply puts the blame on the customer as they did to me. My throw out bearing is making a whining when cold and rattle noise when warmed up when the clutch is being engaged. Interior is pathetically cheap as it scratches and looks awful too easily. Many of my friends had older Subarus and had great luck but apparently the quality isn't there as it once was. The only positives are that the car is very good in snow, practical and fun to drive however many people have had issues with piston ringlands so it makes you not want to drive the car spirited. If the car is showing this much wear after a year I'm scared to see what it will be like when I have paid it off, currently looking for a new car."

Decent car for the price!

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Good car, good value and reliability!"

Cons: "Lacks power, sportiness and refined interior"

"To be fair to anybody who reads this review I want to make clear I don't own this car. However, my significant other does and we trade off driving it from time to time. Now, with that said I do like the car. The interior is simple if a bit plain. The exterior is reminiscent of the Honda Fit but more curved and sloped (I like that). The ride is comfortable as are the seats. Subaru finally made their seats comfy. The drive is underwhelming. Most car companies have found a way to make their CVT's shift smoothly and quietly or come up with new ways to boost traditional engine power and efficiency (see Mazda Sky-active Tech), Subaru has failed in this regard with the Impreza. The car is loud and noisy at low gears and the CVT does not seem to want to shift when one expects it would. When it does shift the change is noticeable and harsh. However, the CVT does seem to give the car some extra umph at low gears and on the freeway (a definite need for an AWD car). I should not fail to mention it comes with a decent batch of standard features. But for young car enthusiast it seems to lack the finishing touches. The speaker system is subpar (I'm being generous) and the ride leaves a lot to be desired. The interior layout, while fine, is a bit bland. The metal colored interior appears fake and the controls are utilitarian. But hey, unlike the Subaru Forester, at least it comes with a black interior. All in all, not a bad car but not close to great either. Addendum: My loyalty to Subaru (I drove them when I was younger) probably makes me rate this car higher than I should. But what can I say? I am a sentimentalist."