2009 Subaru Impreza

Based on 289 Ratings for the 2008 - 2011 models.

Solid transportation.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "4-wheel drive; reliability"

Cons: "Outdated 4-speed transmission."

"The Subaru Imprezza has been a reliable car for four people. The seats are comfortable on long trips and the luggage area is spacious with the aspect of a small wagon. I chose the Imprezza because I wanted a four-wheel-drive car, not an SUV, because of better driving dynamics. The design is good with a few quirks: the 4-speed automatic was outdated when the car was new, and the motor sticks out so far ahead of the wheels that the front bumper scrapes parking barriers. Mileage is 20-22 in town and 26-28 on the road. I have no hesitation in recommending this car."

Solid Commuter Car, but Noisy

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "All wheel drive!"

Cons: "Rattles, rattles, rattles"

"I drive this car every day as a commuter. I average 26 MPG and travel the majority of the time on the highway. I have had no major mechanical issues since I bought the car in November 2009. The only thing I don't like about this and every other Subaru I own (currently 3), is that it is a noisy car on the highway. After about the first year, the car developed a series of annoying rattles. I have gone to great lengths to identify, locate, and eliminate the noises and have had some success. Even with the noises I have no regrets buying this car. I have definately gotten my money's worth. I am the only person on my block that wasn't stranded during the blizzard we had in 2010! That has to be worth something."

Performance Value

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price and extremely fun to drive"

Cons: "Cabin quality need improvement, road noise"

"As the title states, this car is a great value for the performance it has to offer. It has great handling capabilities and will not hesitate to reach high speeds. The ride comfort is very smooth, sometimes its hard to know how fast your actually going without looking at the speedometer. Gas mileage could be better but, when you buy a small turbo vehicle I am sure gas mileage is not a concern. interior is comfortable and spacious for a smaller vehicle. Quality of the interior is fair enough. Road noise in the cabin does get to be annoying when driving on the highway. Sound system and radio needs quality and clarity improvement. Overall the car is good enough to handle everyday task and driving, of course improvements can be made. The low price leaves a lot of room for personal customization. Dealer options are very nice but also very pricey. I am satisfied with the car, I am actually looking to trade in for a newer model in the near future."

Only thing good is it's all wheel drive feature.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "all wheel drive and the price"

Cons: "gas mileage, styling, comfort, technology"

"This car is my 2nd Impreza my first being a 2008. I had this car for 3 years now and it has been back for the following repairs: caliper sticking causing the cars brakes on the left front side to jam up causing the car to be pulled toward on coming traffic. A bad wheeling bearing. The car looks generic and can be lost in a parking lot due to it's drab plain looks. The interior is cheaply made compared to other vehicles in it's class.It is behind other car mfg. in technology by at least 5 years or more. It's gas mileage is pathetic compared to other cars of this size. My 2008 had the same engine and got 30 -32 MPG I hardly see 25 MPG in this one. As I stated in the summary the only good part is the all wheel drive feature."

Great car: fun, versatile, reliable

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "acceleration, exterior styling, AWD/traction"

Cons: "no lumbar support"

"I love this car. I am a fairly active person who does a lot of freeway driving and mountain driving. While the impreza won't take you into anything more than gravel, it'll do a whole lot else, and it does it well. The engine is jewel. Great acceleration, torque, and umpff when you want it; so fun to drive. Overall I got 25mpg for my combined and usually hit 30mpg on the highway. The AWD drive system is great. Never have I felt insecure in this car. whether it was snow, hail, LA traffic, twisty mountain roads, mud, or me being a clueless driver, this car never lost traction. The interior is nice; good layout and functionality. I had a leather wrapped steering wheel and controls; which were very handy. The basic sound system isn't great, but works. Seats are alright for comfort, not alright for 3+ hours. I have always been shocked how much I can fit in this car. Although the hatchback would be nice, moving throughout college wasnt an issue. The exterior styling is my favorite. I am constantly asked if I have a beemer due to the pearl paint and aggressive styling. I have never been embarrassed to give my date a ride in this thing. Good reliability. At 83k and going strong!"

2008 WRX STi : Best Car I have owned

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Quick Acceleration, sharp handling, reliable, FUN"

Cons: "Paint chips easily"

"Let me say first, Ive owned 2 other vehicles in my lifetime. A 2001 BMW 330ci, and a 2011 mustang gt 5.0, and hands down this is my favorite car. Ive owned this car for roughly 2 years now, and roughly 12,000 miles. In this short span, this car has seen driven me through blizzards, up dirt roads, and through heavy rain storms, and never once made me feel incapable of making it there. The awd system is amazing and the DCCD the STI comes with is amazing. This car still brings a smile to my face every morning when I start it(maybe its the Invidia exhuast with that beautiful boxer motor). And the best part, everything is built to last. I have two dogs, am an avid snowboarder and cyclist and one would have no clue by looking at the interior of this car. The seats and inside of the doors are flawless, and this is after many a trip. If I were to find one flaw with this car, and this is me really being nit picky, it is the paint. I dont know why, but boy oh boy, the paint chips easily. If I had any advise to a new subaru owner, it is to get the front of the car covered in a clear bra."

Generic looking and behind times

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "fair price for an all wheel drive car."

Cons: "feels cheap and not very comfortable, many returns"

"The only good thing about this car is it has all wheel drive.Other than that you can lose it in a parking lot due to it's generic looks. It lacks behind in electronic technology by a good 5 years or more compared to even lower priced cars. This is the 2nd one I have owned only because we need all wheel drive in the winter here. Can't wait for the lease to end soon. When i get out of my Volvo S60 and get into the Subaru I really notice how cheap the Subaru feels. Also had to have many repairs done like sticking caliber, wheel bearing, broken suspension, ect. all within the first 2 and 1/2 years"

2009 impreza 2.5i base/ great car

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "amazing in any weather condition"

Cons: "bit small"

"i bought this car October of 2011. i loved the car from the moment i first turned the key. i was 18 when i bought the car and im now 20. its the longest i have owned any vehicle. but i have to say that subaru love is real. i live in wisconsin so a car that can handle the snow, mud and gravel roads is a must. this car take every single thing you throw at it. i cant say i often drove my car nicely. the car has plenty of power for being naturally aspirated. the car handled the snow and ice amazingly. i never got stuck. in fact a few times i pulled trucks out of the ditch. just over all amazing car"

Zippy compact, great road handling, good headroom

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Better than advertised freeway MPG, 30-35 MPG"

Cons: "Metro driving, stop and go, short hop 20-22 MPG"

"Solid handling at freeway speeds no matter what the weather. I get between 30-35 MPG on rolling freeways. Stop and go metro city driving is a different story at 20-22 MPG. The car has great headroom, but the legroom/knee room is tight for 6'4" person. Small trunk, but still fits golf clubs or suitcases for travel."

Subaru for life

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, easy acceleration, AWD"

Cons: "Ground clearance, sub par radio"

"I've had this car for 6 years and not one complaint. She still drives like she just left the dealer and hasn't needed a single repair other than typical maintenance visits. Subaru makes a quality car that will last and last. I debate constantly about getting a newer model but I haven't found a single reason to give up mine yet. She's got plenty of pickup and accelerates easily which is helpful in busy areas when you need to get onto a fast moving highway. The all wheel drive makes winters on the east coast more manageable. The only grievance I have ( and it's a minor one) is that I wish this car weren't so low to the ground. Potholes can do a number and I have to be weary of puddles in the flood prone areas. But this is an issue all standard cars will encounter. Ground clearance is a must have on my next vehicle. Overall, I love this car and I could never own another brand again. I'm a subaru trekker for life."

Did not live up to expectations

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price"

Cons: "Radio was poor in quality and I replaced it."

"I have had to replace the radiator and get the valve cover gaskets replaced. It is a lower priced car for a reason, but I would have thought that the Subaru name plate would give me more confidence than it has."

Love this car no repairs except brakes after 98k

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "quality craftmanship"

Cons: "trunk is a little small"

"I am a mechanical engineer. I believe subaru builds the best cars on the road. The symmetrical all wheel drive is special if you have somebody explain it to you. Besides the audi quattro nothing comes close in traction for a car."

7 years of fun trouble free driving

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Plows through snow with decent power"

Cons: "Seat comfort could be better."

"I bought my Impreza i after moving to a house at the top of a hill that my beloved Civic could not climb in winter. Seven years and 103k miles later, I still love it and recommend it to anyone. The AWD alone is great but Subaru packs every feature you need into the base model: AC, cruise, power everything and fold down seats. It's peppy, handles great and gets about 28mpg in my rural commute. Most important, it plows through snow which is the main reason I bought it."

Handles great with two small negatives

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "wonderful to drive"

Cons: "not the best mileage and tough to get in & out of"

"Looks good, runs well with minimum attention and handles like a sports car. I have two problems with the car: The gas mileage is not great, averaging only 22 mpg overall. The second problem is only for me. I am a big guy who has done damage to his back and getting in and out of this sucker is uncomfortable for me"

Hands down the best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "practical, safe and FUN"

Cons: "radio could be better"

"After driving in the snow and ice that shut down Atl, I am a believer. The car held the road, got where we needed to go with no drama,I loved it in good weather, I ADORE it now!For the price? I'm not sure you can find a better car. Safety features galore,AWD,and just plain FUN to drive!"

Dream Machine

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive "small race car""

Cons: "Not so great on fuel."

"I absolutely love my 09 WRX. It is a very fun, exciting car for under 30k brand new. I paid 27k after taxes in June of 09. 3 Small modifications, and it's just as fast as an STI. Excellent in all weather. I have a dedicated set of winter tires, that I use from first snow to last. It's an absolute beast in the snow. Trucks follow me! All around great bang for your buck. Five seats, all with 3 point seatbelts, and enough cargo space for the family, groceries, and the family dog."

Interior 'feels' junky

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "engine handling"

Cons: "interior design trunk is small"

"driving is okay. excellent in winter conditions. interior just feels super junky and trunk is super small."

My first subaru and will always have one

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Turbo, gets you the ladies , fast"

Cons: "To many speeding tickets"

"I love my sti I bought it for a performance car and It runs perfect and always puts a smile on my face when I get on it big turbo coming soon to this beast"

I love this car.

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "VDC on/off control, 28/30 mpg Heat seats mirr wipe"

Cons: "Hard to shift into rev."

"With a good set of winter tires this car is unstoppable. I live in the mountains on a dirt road. I have had this car in places my neighbors won't take their SUVs. I have a hard time just trying to spin the tires in six inches of ice and snow."

Affordable, Dependable, Active Life Style Car

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

"Good handling Fun to drive Better than estimated MPG - I get 27 avg Somewhat spartan but tastefully designed and very practical"

2011 Impreza wagon 2.5i

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "plastic interior, poor mpg, transmission issues"

"Just bought this car a few days ago certified pre-owned from the dealer. Sad to say I'm already disappointed in it. Doesn't handle nearly as well as others have mentioned. I can feel a bit of slip in the rear and the steering isn't tight. Road noise is loud, and the plastic interior creaks & rattles like crazy, making it feel very cheap on the inside. I have automatic transmission, and driving in traffic, after slowing down, it lugs and drags when you accelerate before it shifts to a lower gear - something I've never experienced in an automatic before, reminds me of when I was learning to drive a manual - i.e. it does not shift smoothly as an automatic should. The stereo is poor: sounds muffled & too much bass, and no way to adjust these settings! Terrible! The seat isn't comfortable, I find I can't raise it high enough to accommodate my long legs, my best bet is to slide it back farther, making the steering wheel reach uncomfortable and it still feels like I'm sitting on the floor."

Disconserted

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Never left me stranded"

Cons: "AC Compressor/Throwout bearing-Clutch"

"I purchased my 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5 premium package in October of 2007. When I bought the car it had zero miles. I was in love with it. Over the course of my going on to 6 years of ownership I have had to replace the AC compressor (the compressor motor seized and had to be replaced about a year and a half ago) and about a month ago the throw out bearing went out and I had to replace that, the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate (those were mostly precautions but since the throw out bearing went out, it wasn't too far fetched to think that the other related parts would go out as well. Considering I don't drive my car too much, it has 61,000 miles and I take pretty good care of it, I am a little perplexed. I will say that compared to other cars these faulty parts having to be replaced isn't terrible, but I had hoped it would have lasted longer without major repairs (although thank goodness neither of these issues have been motor or transmission related). This car has never left me stranded, and as always gotten me to and from wherever I needed to be (even with the throw out bearing problems). I must say despite everything I still do love my car very much, and do plan to keep it as long as it will run, inshallah it will be a very long time. Any way, having the foreknowledge that my Subaru had these faulty parts may be good to know in case you are in the market for a Subaru."

awesome affordable car

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "with 265hp this car perfect for me."

Cons: "to hard to change simple things as the spark plugs"

"I wanted to buy an affordable car for me and my wife, and since we wanted a 4 door car thinking in the future this car fitted our specs. The only thing that I regret is getting it with to many miles(88000mi). Other than that the car still running strong. this is a great car for under 30k."

Best car ever

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, adventure vehicle"

Cons: "cheap interior"

"I personally am a big fan of subaru. when i was looking to buy a vehicle i was looking for a WRX but couldnt find one at my price range. I got this vehicle for a great price when i found it. The vehicle handles excelent and perform great. Subaru puts the money where it needs to be, you might not get a great amount of luxury but the attention of this vehicle is how it performs. the interior is mostly pastlic, nothing fancy but its conftable and looks pretty good."

good car but has some issues

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "Handles well"

Cons: "cheap interior, sits really low."

"Overall good car but has some issues... It sits very low to the ground which makes it hard to get in and out of for some people, my mom can't see over the dashboard from the passanger seat. This also creates issue if your prone to hitting curbs. I have had to replace several tires and 1 rim. The compass on the mirror has gone out. The plastic on the interior is easy scuffed and knicked. I recommend window tint at the plastic on my dash gets soft in direct sunlight. Also more storage would be appreciated. The anti-skid and cruise go off everytime the check engine light come on which for me has been frequent. I love how it hugs the road and the gas mileage isn't great but not horrible. Feels more solid than other small cars."

See if you qualify for