2006 Subaru Impreza

Based on 844 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

Best car ever owned

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Great handling; gives feeling of safety"

Cons: "Noisy, both road and engine"

"Have had car since new in Dec 02; only once did the engine malfunction after a very bumpy ride and then corrected itself; handling is exceptional and power is great especially at higher speeds. Both engine noise and road noise are high. As with most Subarus, no rattles or squeaks and after 12 years, still the original exhaust sytem, battery, and plugs. Engine and brake system leaks added some extra maintenance cost but everything else has worn well; still looks fairly new inside and out. And still turns heads after a wash!"

Fun car to drive...terrible reliability.

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Reason: Major engine damage

Pros: "fun to drive (when it works)"

Cons: "unreliable"

"We were the second owners of our wrx and took great care of it. It was under a warranty at the dealership up to 100k miles, so we took it in for repairs there for quite some time (repairs were needed frequently). However, the last few years, we also had intermittent issues with the engine sputtering or jerking in the lower gears. The dealership tried to fix it numerous times, but could never figure out what was causing the issue. Then, on the way home from work, the oil pressure light went on. We took it to the shop and found that there was major engine damage. This was very disappointing because it had been well cared for and maintained. We will never buy another Subaru after our experience with this one."

This has been the best car I ever purchased

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable, fun, great in bad weather."

Cons: "I can not think of one."

"This car has been extremely reliable, comfortable, safe and fun! Plus it goes anywhere - rain, snow, ice, mud, you name it and it will go in any weather conditions. I was an interstate warrior in this car for years and I couldn't think of a single thing that I could change or add to make my experience in this car better."

Great basic transportation

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of interior space"

Cons: "boring driving dynamics, underpowered"

"I purchased a 2004 Impreza Wagon in 2006, trading in a low MPG Jeep for better fuel economy. It had the best safety rating for compact cars in 2004, it is reliable, and for the size it has a HUGE interior. Over the past 8 years, it has had just one mechanical issue - a loose hose that sprayed coolant on the engine block and spewed thick black smoke. The repair bill was less than the cost to have the engine bay cleaned. But...the base engine seriously lacks power and the suspension does no favors to the driving dynamics. The base model is nothing close to the WRX. The car has been an excellent commuter vehicle getting me from point A to B efficiently, safely, and reliably. All-wheel-drive in a compact hatchback is a great combo."

subaru Sti

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

"I have owned my 2004 Sti for a while and it is a very reliable car and extremely fast very good in snow. THe ride of the car is terrible but thats a subaru thing. there isint very much interior storage space but overall very good reputation and reliable car. i would recomend buying one if you get the chance."

Most reliable car I've ever had.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, safe, sturdy, rugged, good acceleration"

Cons: "Not enough rear seat room Not great gas mileage"

"I love my Subaru. It actually saved my life when I slid off the road during an ice storm and down an embankment. I put over 15,000 a year on my car since I bought it used, and it is sturdy, reliable and a comfortable drive. I feel safe on wet, snowy and icy roads. It is a good looking car and has a sleek style for a wagon. The only negative is the rear seat could be roomier and more comfortable."

Iconically Quirky

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Personality - Performance - Safety"

Cons: "Fuel cost - Expensive Repairs"

"I think the charm of the WRX lies in two things … what it can do and how it does it. What can it do? It can go very fast. It can hold a lot of stuff. It can get you places in marginal traction conditions that other cars cannot … even other AWD cars. It can save your life in a crash. And it can do all that with reasonable economy and reliability. All that is enough to make it a great car. But what really seals the deal is how it does it … with a turbocharged boxer 4 driving all four wheels through an integrated transaxle. That’s essentially the same configuration as a AWD Porsche, with all the handling advantages. The short crankshaft offered by the boxer design makes the bottom end strong enough for significant modifications, and the unequal length exhaust headers make for the trademark Subie boxer rumble … probably the best sounding 4 cylinder engine on the planet. It’s quirky. The single spool turbo means there is a lot of turbo lag, so to get the most out of it, you’ve got to keep the revs up. The handling gives a hint of understeer before it comes alive with a sharp turn in. Controlled oversteer is possible, but only at the limit, as the AWD system allows you to rocket out of the curves with near reckless abandon. It’s not sedate. It’s not distinguished. You will feel the road while you are driving on it. You’ll hear the exhaust and the whoosh of the turbo. And to get the most of it, you’ll have to pay attention and work it. And maybe because of all that, there isn’t another car like it, and why it remains an icon of automotive engineering."

Expected it to last longer

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, especially in the mud!"

Cons: "Expected it to last longer."

"Has been a great car but at about 100000 miles started having problems with engine revving very high in idle and the headlights burn out every couple of months. Two trips to the mechanic (including one to the dealership) and several hundred dollars later no one can figure out what's wrong with it. I'm frustrated and trading it in... but I've liked it enough that I'm getting another one."

Buy a subaru hooked for life.

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Style, handeling, comfort of ride, reliable"

Cons: "100k service needed with the 2.5 liter but minor"

"I have owned my 05 RS wagon since November of 2013, and am absolutely in love with this car! I had a 95 Outback sport before this with the 2.2 liter and this is a nice power upgrade. Not near as much power as the wrx but is a nice amount for the 4cyl and the mileage that comes with it! Just had to replace the head gaskets, but should be good to go for at least 100k. The hatchback is a great option for outdoors lovers and active individuals.Besides my head gaskets I have not had any problems with this vehicle, and once out of school will definitely trade up to a newer Impreza! highly recommend this vehicle!"

I bought it new, plan trade at 250k.

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pros: "Traffic merge in rain, no wheel spin!"

Cons: "A/C is insufficient."

"I bought when I gave daughter 95 Impreza (170k); she traded to 2008 Impreza at 270k. The WRX has performed better than I expected, with no major engine work nor any work on the Turbo. The only big headache has been the A/C, which has had significant work done. The only things not working are the clock and trunk release. The car has been pushed regularly, 90 in 3rd, and can still get to the next oil change with a half quart added. It is a commuter car, but has also been on numerous construction sites, but someone recently asked if it was newly repainted. It has been great in snow. Subaru has very dependable products."

See if you qualify for