2004 Subaru Impreza

Based on 854 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

Very good inexpensive car

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "Durability,off road capabilities,good size trunk"

Cons: "fuel economy,rear seats leg room."

"This car is very well keep. very good condition in the outside and nearly new inside. Has decent acceleration and handling.very practical and basic,perfect for day to day duties. Great off road capabilities. This is my 5th Subaru. Downside: fuel economy. I wish that this car at least reach the 20 MPG on average."

great

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

"best"

A great small car, with guts and good looks too

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "Good looking and extremely reliable"

Cons: "If one wheel blows, all four must be replaced"

"I love this car, my second but not last Subaru. It is small enough to park in tight spaces, but with the hatchback design it has plenty of space for luggage. The all-wheel drive makes it a comfortable drive on rough roads, but it still looks sporty. The fire engine red makes it easy to find in a sea of beige and white. It has been completely reliable and I have been very happy with it."

I will never part with this vehicle.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and superb handling."

"Most awesome car I have ever owned hands down. Have to drive or own one to understand it."

Absolutely love it!!

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Great handling and quiet engine"

Cons: "uncomfortable seats"

"I just recently bought a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i back in mid September and i truly do love this car. It drives and handles nice. Looks nice. And is the quietest car i've ever owned. The reason i gave it a 9 in comfort is for the simple fact that the seats aren't that comfortable but that's about the only flaw i have with it."

Loved it til headgasket then frame went 11000 km

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Reason: frame rusted out at 10 years.

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Failed too soon. Poor gas milage"

"Loved the car for its 4WD in the local snow mid Vancouver Island BC. Maintained by schedule. Head gasket started to leak around 85000 mi when 10 years old. 3500$ later new gasket/waterpump assembly. 6 months later mechanic pointed out could push a screwdriver through the front cross members in the frame. I bailed, traded it in. On a Impreza Cross Trek. Hoped the 2002 Impreza Outback Sport would have given me 12 or 14 years. No such luck!"

This is a great car , very dependable and is fun.

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

"Good in ice and snow! All wheel drive makes this car very dependable."

Great all around car for Northeast driving.

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "FUN, Reliable, Great in poor weather."

Cons: "Rear seat on sedan does not fold."

"This car is incredible in the snow. It handles like a sports car, Can hold 4 people in reasonably comfort, Is compact enough for city driving, Punchy enough to have some fun on the highway, and In my opinion looks great. I own the sedan, which I like the looks of, but be warned the seats do not fold down which is an inconvenience. Also, with most AWD cars it seems to go through tires fast. Other than that I LOVE it. Ive had mine as the second owner for 8 years, and it has been a reliable friend."

Love this car

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "very good looking, reliable and safe"

Cons: "insurance is very expensive"

"This car was purchased for my husband and then he got another car. I took the opportunity to sell my car and took the cool WRX... that was around 2007. No regrets. The only reason why comfort & convenience got a '9' is there is no auto key trunk access. No big deal. Love my WRX xoxoxoxo"

Fast, easy to use

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun, fast, reliable, handles like a champ"

Cons: "uncomfortable seats, premium gas, stiff clutch"

"Really fun to drive! Handles very well in inclement weather and has been quite reliable. My kids always want to drive it! Lots of interior space, heated seats, acceleration"

Best car ever owned

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Great handling; gives feeling of safety"

Cons: "Noisy, both road and engine"

"Have had car since new in Dec 02; only once did the engine malfunction after a very bumpy ride and then corrected itself; handling is exceptional and power is great especially at higher speeds. Both engine noise and road noise are high. As with most Subarus, no rattles or squeaks and after 12 years, still the original exhaust sytem, battery, and plugs. Engine and brake system leaks added some extra maintenance cost but everything else has worn well; still looks fairly new inside and out. And still turns heads after a wash!"

Fun car to drive...terrible reliability.

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Reason: Major engine damage

Pros: "fun to drive (when it works)"

Cons: "unreliable"

"We were the second owners of our wrx and took great care of it. It was under a warranty at the dealership up to 100k miles, so we took it in for repairs there for quite some time (repairs were needed frequently). However, the last few years, we also had intermittent issues with the engine sputtering or jerking in the lower gears. The dealership tried to fix it numerous times, but could never figure out what was causing the issue. Then, on the way home from work, the oil pressure light went on. We took it to the shop and found that there was major engine damage. This was very disappointing because it had been well cared for and maintained. We will never buy another Subaru after our experience with this one."

This has been the best car I ever purchased

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable, fun, great in bad weather."

Cons: "I can not think of one."

"This car has been extremely reliable, comfortable, safe and fun! Plus it goes anywhere - rain, snow, ice, mud, you name it and it will go in any weather conditions. I was an interstate warrior in this car for years and I couldn't think of a single thing that I could change or add to make my experience in this car better."

Great basic transportation

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of interior space"

Cons: "boring driving dynamics, underpowered"

"I purchased a 2004 Impreza Wagon in 2006, trading in a low MPG Jeep for better fuel economy. It had the best safety rating for compact cars in 2004, it is reliable, and for the size it has a HUGE interior. Over the past 8 years, it has had just one mechanical issue - a loose hose that sprayed coolant on the engine block and spewed thick black smoke. The repair bill was less than the cost to have the engine bay cleaned. But...the base engine seriously lacks power and the suspension does no favors to the driving dynamics. The base model is nothing close to the WRX. The car has been an excellent commuter vehicle getting me from point A to B efficiently, safely, and reliably. All-wheel-drive in a compact hatchback is a great combo."

subaru Sti

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

"I have owned my 2004 Sti for a while and it is a very reliable car and extremely fast very good in snow. THe ride of the car is terrible but thats a subaru thing. there isint very much interior storage space but overall very good reputation and reliable car. i would recomend buying one if you get the chance."

Most reliable car I've ever had.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, safe, sturdy, rugged, good acceleration"

Cons: "Not enough rear seat room Not great gas mileage"

"I love my Subaru. It actually saved my life when I slid off the road during an ice storm and down an embankment. I put over 15,000 a year on my car since I bought it used, and it is sturdy, reliable and a comfortable drive. I feel safe on wet, snowy and icy roads. It is a good looking car and has a sleek style for a wagon. The only negative is the rear seat could be roomier and more comfortable."

Iconically Quirky

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Personality - Performance - Safety"

Cons: "Fuel cost - Expensive Repairs"

"I think the charm of the WRX lies in two things … what it can do and how it does it. What can it do? It can go very fast. It can hold a lot of stuff. It can get you places in marginal traction conditions that other cars cannot … even other AWD cars. It can save your life in a crash. And it can do all that with reasonable economy and reliability. All that is enough to make it a great car. But what really seals the deal is how it does it … with a turbocharged boxer 4 driving all four wheels through an integrated transaxle. That’s essentially the same configuration as a AWD Porsche, with all the handling advantages. The short crankshaft offered by the boxer design makes the bottom end strong enough for significant modifications, and the unequal length exhaust headers make for the trademark Subie boxer rumble … probably the best sounding 4 cylinder engine on the planet. It’s quirky. The single spool turbo means there is a lot of turbo lag, so to get the most out of it, you’ve got to keep the revs up. The handling gives a hint of understeer before it comes alive with a sharp turn in. Controlled oversteer is possible, but only at the limit, as the AWD system allows you to rocket out of the curves with near reckless abandon. It’s not sedate. It’s not distinguished. You will feel the road while you are driving on it. You’ll hear the exhaust and the whoosh of the turbo. And to get the most of it, you’ll have to pay attention and work it. And maybe because of all that, there isn’t another car like it, and why it remains an icon of automotive engineering."

Expected it to last longer

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, especially in the mud!"

Cons: "Expected it to last longer."

"Has been a great car but at about 100000 miles started having problems with engine revving very high in idle and the headlights burn out every couple of months. Two trips to the mechanic (including one to the dealership) and several hundred dollars later no one can figure out what's wrong with it. I'm frustrated and trading it in... but I've liked it enough that I'm getting another one."

Buy a subaru hooked for life.

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Style, handeling, comfort of ride, reliable"

Cons: "100k service needed with the 2.5 liter but minor"

"I have owned my 05 RS wagon since November of 2013, and am absolutely in love with this car! I had a 95 Outback sport before this with the 2.2 liter and this is a nice power upgrade. Not near as much power as the wrx but is a nice amount for the 4cyl and the mileage that comes with it! Just had to replace the head gaskets, but should be good to go for at least 100k. The hatchback is a great option for outdoors lovers and active individuals.Besides my head gaskets I have not had any problems with this vehicle, and once out of school will definitely trade up to a newer Impreza! highly recommend this vehicle!"

I bought it new, plan trade at 250k.

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pros: "Traffic merge in rain, no wheel spin!"

Cons: "A/C is insufficient."

"I bought when I gave daughter 95 Impreza (170k); she traded to 2008 Impreza at 270k. The WRX has performed better than I expected, with no major engine work nor any work on the Turbo. The only big headache has been the A/C, which has had significant work done. The only things not working are the clock and trunk release. The car has been pushed regularly, 90 in 3rd, and can still get to the next oil change with a half quart added. It is a commuter car, but has also been on numerous construction sites, but someone recently asked if it was newly repainted. It has been great in snow. Subaru has very dependable products."

Stop shopping, this is the car you need.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Looks, price, fun to drive, economical, practical"

Cons: "Weird cup holders, could have a bit more power"

"Bought my Outback Sport in April of 2012. Nothing but good stories about this car and it's become more of a "friend" to me rather than just a car. It's reliable, looks good, has a limited slip differential from the factory, gets good gas mileage and has TONS of room. The only complaint I have about the car is the cup holders (not a big deal). It has one slightly awkward cup holder which pops out from the dashboard and kind of overhangs over the radio dins, however you can fit a large drink in it easily. It also has a slit in it for a coffee mug which is nice. The other cup holder is extremely small and awkwardly placed. It is next to the parking brake and can barely fit a small bottle of water or a can. Within the last few months, I've been beginning to modify it; another great thing about this car. If you're interested in modifying it, very many WRX parts are interchangeable and provide a very cheap performance upgrade. For example, a rear sway bar from a WRX wagon can make worlds of difference and it cost me less than $100. I am extremely happy that I decided to buy this car and still get a smirk on my face when I see it sitting in the parking lot."

Legendary car

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "best handling car ever, great acceleration"

Cons: "cloth interior"

"One of the best cars to ever come from Japan"

I really enjoy my 06 WRX Limited sedan!

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "AWD, body styling, leather, 6 disc, sun roof, fun"

Cons: "premium gas, rear seat doesnt go down, cheap radio"

My 06 Wrx Limited in Downtown Detroit, MI #FWDLOL

"Really like my Wrx, only real complaint is the back seat doesn't go down. There is a pass thru in the middle of the seats but its not even big enough to get my snowboard thru. The AWD is great in the snow though, with snow tires I have yet to lose full control. Average 21 mpg and the exhaust sound is one of a kind! Highly recommend!"

My 06 Wrx Limited in Downtown Detroit, MI #FWDLOL

Absolute best overall car that I have ever owned

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Value, performance, quality"

Cons: "Understeer, not overly attractive 2006-2013"

"I've owned my 2004 WRX wagon for nearly 10 years now. And having owned everything from from Jaguars to Porsches, I can say that this has been the best value in an automobile that I have ever experienced. I modified it very early on to Stage 2 (Accessport, tuning, 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust) and that just made it faster/better without sacrificing anything other than ride quality (I changed out the springs too). The only things I have replaced outside of normally scheduled maintenance (timing belt, PCV, oil, filters, etc.) or mods (exhaust, brakes and suspension pieces) are the valve cover gaskets and the CV axles at over 100K miles. This was my first Subaru. But it's been so amazing, I'm passing on the 2014 Jaguar 3.0 AWD and the 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG and going for the 2015 STI when it comes out. For anyone who is a car brand snob (but loves pure performance), buy the STI, get a better (overall) car and buy a Rolex Daytona with the savings. Great little cars, IMO."

Great car...till 40K

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Reason: Broke :(

Pros: "You're face will quit smiling as soon you park"

Cons: "You wallet will be heavier as soon as you sell"

"Had the 03 WRX sedan. The car was amazing, but the insurance cost me just as much as the payment. (I was 22 at the time) I was usually broke as a joke when I had this car. I drove it from Utah to New York and back over a summer, which was lots of fun. It had a grinding whenever you went into 3rd gear though, which got worse and worse until I just couldn't ignore it. I then got rear-ended and almost got totaled. I got it back, and the transmission seemed to just be undeniably bad and the paint was chipping on the hood for no apparent reason. My insurance went up again, being something like $360/month. I gave up, and sold the car for a steal, even for needing a new transmission. I would recommend this Subi if you have 0 tickets, and have good self-control; otherwise you'll be broke too."