2003 Subaru Impreza

Based on 868 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

A true love affair.

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Safe. Sporty. Practical. Versatile. Fun."

Cons: "Not great gas milage."

"I owned this car for 11 years. Had the 02 wagon. It went truly everywhere with me - from heavy gridlock interstate commuting, to 15" deep snow covered country lanes, to winding, rutted NW logging roads, to beach driving to country highway cruising, and it did it all with great aplomb. It lived life with me as a single guy in my twenties, to a married man, to a dog owner and finally to family man with two kids. It served as my sports car as much as my Home Depot hauler. It was a reliable, go everywhere, utility vehicle that had enough sportiness to it to competently hold its own against far more purpose built vehicles. Having previously been a Honda guy (a civic, an integra and an accord), this one car converted me. Sadly, last week, I got into an accident when someone bumped me from the back left, shifting my direction just enough to send me plowing straight into a 30" diameter tree just off of the side of the road. The tree didn't move and the wrx was totaled. It was a huge loss. But what I can say is that here I am, less than a week later, in reasonably good shape all because, on top of everything else brilliant about this car, it was built to be safe. The crumple zones worked flawlessly and the airbags did what they were supposed to do. Paramedics had to remove the roof to get me out, but I got out in one piece without any permanent injuries. This was the best car I have ever owned. And it saved my life."

love this car. great gas mileage, blast to drive

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "relieable, fun, fast"

Cons: "you will fall in love and never want to part with"

"this car is amazing!! I own a 2006 wrx which I have now put 245,000 miles. The only things besides maintaining it that I've had to do is new struts and a new battery. I love the power and never meet a snow storm this car couldn't make it through. I've wrecked it twice once hitting an elk and the other time was t-boned by a f250. Both times I walked away with out a scratch and my insurance even fixed it at 220,000 miles with $8,000 worth of damage because they felt the car was worth more. This is the safest, most reliable funniest car to drive I've ever owned and I'm 55 years old. I've had my share of cars."

Amaingly Awesome Car!!!

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Good Value, fun to drive, reliable, easy to fix"

Cons: "Initial price"

"The car is incredibly fun to drive even with the miles on it. I have had the car for 6 months and have never had any major issues. The only thing I've done to it is taken it in to the dealership to have the control arms recalled. Besides that, this car has been solid since the day i bought it. I definitely would suggest this car to anyone no matter the mileage. These cars run forever and I will never buy another car besides Subaru!!!"

By on Monday, May 02, 2011

"I have owned a 2005 Impreza 2.5rs for 4 years now. I bought it with 23,000 miles, and just hit 77,000. I live in Seattle, so I have to have AWD. I don't think there is a better combination of reliability, performance, and value. The 170 hp engine is just quick enough to zip around town, while still giving me an average of 25 mpg. I have done the recommended 30k and 60k maintenance, along with changing the oil every 3k. I have had ZERO problems with this car and I seriously think it will run to 300k. The only down side is its a pretty compact car. I am 5' 10' and sit comfortably, but anyone taller might struggle. There aren't any fancy bells and whistles in the interior, but hey, its a Subaru not an Audi. My previous two cars were a BMW E36 M3, and a 2000 Audi a4 2.8. Both of those cars were great but really expensive to maintain. I switched to Subaru to save myself the headache, and I'll never go back."

Caution: Transmission

By on Thursday, April 03, 2008

"I've had this car for about 3 years now. Overall, it's a good car. Great in bad weather (snow & ice). Handling is pretty good, as well as braking and acceleration. The only real complaint I have of this car is the transmission. About 1 1/2 years ago, 2nd gear went out. I found out that Subaru of America doesn't cover this in the manufacturers warranty, and thus, my extended warranty wouldn't cover it either. Subaru claims it's due to abusive driving so they won't cover it. And in my case, yes, I was racing it this time, so it was kind of my fault. Luckily I kind of knew the service manager at my local dealer, so they helped me out some, replacing what only truly needed it. So there went $1600. I also found out from him that they'll get a WRX in at least once every 1 or 2 weeks with this same problem. Now fast forward 13 months... I'd been taking it easy on my car, really couldn't afford another big transmission bill. I'm driving normal, not hard on it, go to pass some cars, get the revs up, drop it into 3rd, it holds it for a second or two, then 3rd gear goes. So this time, I had everything possible replaced in the transmission, $2300 bill. So just a note to use cautin when considering this car... If you will be racing or driving hard much, seriously consider an STI or beefing up the transmission in this car, as this is a common occurence for these 5 spd manuals. Other than that, this is a great car and fun to drive."

Great little car would buy another anytime

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "great car, fun to drive, holds it's value"

Cons: "can't think of anything major"

"I have owned my Impreza for five years now and I love this car. Very spunky up hills, good gas millage, and runs excellent. Hasn't had any issues for a nine year old car. The only down fall are is that the driver seat tore where the ridge is, it's has a weird noise when on the highway when the wind is blowing (sounds like a blow horn due to the wind hitting the spoiler). I would definitely buy another one."

Best, most reliable pocket rocket money can buy!

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pros: "cost, reliability, safety, performance, potential"

Cons: "insurance prices"

"I've owned my WRX for almost 8 years now, bought it brand new and I'm still in love with it... Like I was from day one. Along the years I've modified it very tastefully trying to enhance its attributes: handling, braking, acceleration and even looks. It is a very special machine and have given me zero issues other than the normal wear and tear items which I have been taking care of very meticulously. I would definitely recommend a WRX to anyone looking for a sporty sedan that does not cost an arm and a leg. However, if you decide to go with one, take into consideration the price of the insurance as it tends to be a bit higher that the average car."

Excellent, for the right person!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Price vs performance, fuel economy, reliability"

Cons: "Dull interior, excessive performance"

"I bought this car for two reasons: blistering performance and reliability. The car has met and exceeded all of my expectations. Coming from a Honda Civic, the bar was pretty high for dependability. Pros: - Absolutely stunning performance in all weather and road conditions. Nothing stops this car. Cornering, acceleration, and responsiveness are top notch. - Reliability. I've had ZERO issues with this car. Changed oil, brakes, and tires. That's it. - Easily tuned! Mine is currently in a Stage 2 setup, about 50-70hp above stock. Total cost was barely $1k, and gas mileage has actually increased to 30mpg highway! - Practicality. This car is a perfect compromise if you want a sports car, but can't swing owning two cars. Roomy enough for trips to the store and long trips. Cons: - Definitely a compact car. People over 6' won't be much more comfortable here than in a Civic. - Love it/hate it styling on the exterior. I'm a fan, but I know many aren't. - Spartan interior. Leather racing seats aside, it could be confused for a mid 90's vanilla sedan. - Overly aggressive. This car has incredible acceleration and power. This car can absolutely destroy a Corvette or Camaro off the line. Irresponsible or nervous drivers should steer clear of owning one. Hope this helps prospective buyers! I have zero regrets buying this car (wish I would've sought out a wagon, though). If you like in a state with snow and want a performance oriented daily driver, stop your search here. You've found it!"

Love this car..

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"So far this car has been amazing to me. Put a bunch of aftermarket parts on it, and I must say, this is one of the best handling/fun sports cars you can get. Either the hatch or sedan. Personally I liked the hatch becuase there weren't as many of those around.. The level on customization is unlimited. From motor builds to aftermarket parts-you won't get bored with this car. Highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun ride."

Great Little Pocket Rocket

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Got a 2002 WRX sedan w/67000mi. Great on mountain roads any time of the year. I have driven it in all kinds of weather, and it always gets me to my destination with no trouble. Even on an icy incline where even 4x4s were putting on chains, I just drove right past. Another time I smoked a Hummer H2 off the line uphill in 9 inches of fresh snow. The AWD system is truly incredible. Car could be a little more roomy and the seats are not that comfortable."

I will never part with this vehicle.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and superb handling."

"Most awesome car I have ever owned hands down. Have to drive or own one to understand it."

I really enjoy my 06 WRX Limited sedan!

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "AWD, body styling, leather, 6 disc, sun roof, fun"

Cons: "premium gas, rear seat doesnt go down, cheap radio"

My 06 Wrx Limited in Downtown Detroit, MI #FWDLOL

"Really like my Wrx, only real complaint is the back seat doesn't go down. There is a pass thru in the middle of the seats but its not even big enough to get my snowboard thru. The AWD is great in the snow though, with snow tires I have yet to lose full control. Average 21 mpg and the exhaust sound is one of a kind! Highly recommend!"

My 06 Wrx Limited in Downtown Detroit, MI #FWDLOL

love it

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"Best car hands down, just a lil small"

My first car and my best car.

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"This was my first car and (most likely) my best car. I was a little hard on the vehicle when i first got it (i was a new driver) but my Impreza hung in there with me and I have no problems with her. I have owned this vehicle for 3 years now and I have had no major issues. It is also very good for long distance as i drive from Tennessee to Missouri at least 4-5 times a year for school and she rides very well each time. If you're thinking about buying this car for a first time driver, I strongly recommend it!"

Its a mini tank.

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "AWD better than all brands, LSD on both axels"

Cons: "a bit heavy but you gotta get AWD some how."

"This car will take you to where you are going and get you back no matter what. I do EVERYTHING with this car. Canoeing, hiking, snow driving, desert driving, biking, driving to hockey, and everything else. I would recommend Subaru as a brand to anyone looking to buy a car that they want to keep forever. If your a drive and dump kind of person do us all a favor and buy something else. I don't want you to taint any of these cars. True owners welcome."

love my subie!!

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "safety,durability,awd"

Cons: "repair/parts pricing,head gaskets"

"bought this car used after i crashed my 2005 subaru wrx.will never own anything but a subaru."

Good car for the price

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Snow, Reliable, Storage, Longevity"

Cons: "Road Noise, Fogged-over headlamps"

"I've been a Subaru owner since I bought my first Suby at 16. I found an auto tech professor at my local community college fixing up a 2002 Subaru 2.5T Wagon conveniently after my old Forester tanked (at 310k). I bought the car that day and couldn't be happier. The drive is peppy and full of torque, and I've never been stuck in the NY snow. Salt doesn't even phase this Subaru. I'd caution others like me looking at older Subys with the 2.5L because of head gasket issues and other issues associated with high mileage. Though not all Subaru vehicles are equal, there are twice as many 300k Suby mile-clubbers as there are folks with horror stories. A good brand and even better car. Recommend!"

After 5 years, I still love my Subie!

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "Dependability, style, fun, sporty"

Cons: "Non-ergonomic seats, head rests"

"There are no bells or whistles on my 2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon, but I felt compelled to write because it has been such a truly dependable car. I have been pretty faithful about oil, lube and filter changes, but not so as far as maintenance. I have only taken it in twice. Once was because I put too much oil in the engine, the other because I felt guilty as to not following routine maintenance and finally dropped several hundred on a recommended maintenance interval. I'm just about paid off and will still keep this car as it has been so incredibly dependable. The ONLY pet peeve or negative about my Subie is the seats. I do not find them very ergonomic, no lumbar support and the head rests, no matter how I adjust do not sit my head or neck well."

The WRX has been a great car to own

By on Friday, November 30, 2012

Pros: "Function buttons all have multiple uses."

Cons: "need heated side mirrors"

"everything you touch is quality. The ride is smooth and quick. I have owned GTI-VW, Turbo-Eagle Talon, 327 SS Impala 1969, Mustang convertable 1969. Seats are adjustable to fit (I am short)."

My favorite car!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Good MPG,easy to maintain,fun to drive,good value"

Cons: "back seat is a bit tight and seats dont fold down"

"I bought this car because it has great consumer reviews overall, it is fantastic in the snow, and I generally get at a minimum 24 mpg (most being 28 and least being 22). I have not gotten stuck in the snow to this day and don't believe I could unless I was driving in more than 3 feet of snow (car height)! With the crazy snow New England we had is 2010-2011 I can't imagine having another car in my life. I have had Honda's and Saturn's but this car takes the cake. I will never buy a car other than a Subaru ever!"

95k, so far - so great.

By on Monday, June 07, 2010

"Owned since new - 95k on the car & its perfect. I drive it hard, use the power... nothing is wrong with the car. Two sets of tires, one set of brakes, oil changes - thats it. Clutch is fine, interior is holding up... great car. The car has done many dirt mountain passes (not taking it easy), been offroad many times, eats up the snow & rain and is one of the best all weather cars I've owned. A++"

Awesome car!

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"I own an '03 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5TS for about 7 years, have put 84K on it (bought it new) and I can tell you that it is, hands down, the best car I've ever owned for the money. It was love at first sight too, and thank goodness that love affair has lasted this long. It is not the fastest, most economical, or the most luxurious car on the road, but it is definitely one of the most reliable, durable, dependable. It is also a lot of fun, has adequate power despite only having 165 hp and AWD drag, and it grips the road very well dry or wet. Plenty of cargo space too - it has helped me move at least 3 times. And did I mention the handling already? :-) I feel very secure and connected to the car and I can't say that about my previous Honda Accords. I hope to keep it for at least another 7 years, and if I have to change it, I will definitely consider another Subaru."

First but not Last

By on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"This was my first Subaru, (2002) it is a solid car. It is well over a 100 K miles and still have not had a major mechanical problem. I have driven this car in all conditions and it was wonderful in all of them. I have even driven it during Blizzards for about 75 miles from Through NJ across the GWB to NY. Mileage for 6 months I commuted a total of 135 miles per day round trip. This was mostly highway but I encountered a significant amount of traffic driving from Stamford CT to Long Island and back. I averaged 26 mpg. City driving currently averaging 20 mpg. Not bad since I did't buy the turbo for the mileage. I have had several times where other cars (more expensive BMWs, Audies ...) want to speed by on the highway and learn that you do not have to spend that much money to I have more than enough power and control. I will buy another Subaru. I have moved entire contents of my apartment twice with this car if it didn't fit inside it fits on top."

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"I have owned this car for the end of high school through my college years and have never had a problem. It gets me ANYWHERE in the winter, ANYTIME!! In the summer it will get you there in style, cool, and a fun way. The ONLY issue I have had in 99,000 is a squeaky A/C belt. I recommend this to ANY outdoors lover."

Bottom of the Line? I think not!

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"I got this car as an entry level model in 2003. It did not and does not feel entry level. The price was a little above other cars in its "class" but well worth it. For the past 5 years the car has been running strong. I drive to the snow occasionally and really feel the benefits of the AWD safety when I do. The car still feels solid, safe, handles great, has a sporty feel. Power is more than sufficient for daily use, even has a little pep off the line and does great uphill since HP matches torque (~165). Not a family car, but if you usually only have 1 passenger and occasionally take 3 its fine (a little cramped in the back). My only complaint is there is only a pass through from the trunk to the cabin. This car made me a Subaru fan for life!"