1998 Subaru Impreza

Based on 258 Ratings for the 1993 - 2001 models.

Beyond Incredible!!!

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "NEVER breaks down and great mileage!"

"Going on 350K and still running strong! Most incredible car I have ever owned. I can't recomend it enough! Best car on the market!!"

Awesome Subaru!!!! Second Subi I've owned!!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Handles like a dream, quick, and stylish."

Cons: "Interior could be a little more nicer."

"I bought this 200 Impreza RS 2.5 in December 2011. I paid $6500 for it with just over 93K on the odometer. I have always wanted this specific model Subaru, but could never find one in decent condition for a good price. I previously owned a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT (Turbo), and loved it as well, but I wanted the RS 2.5. I have no complaints about this car. It will run on regular unleaded gas, but I choose to put midgrade unleaded in it just to take care of the engine. I've been able to get 360 miles out of one tank of gas on city driving (mostly highway miles). This is probably the most reliable car I have ever owned and for being an N/A car, it gets up and goes when needed! My only complaint is that Subaru could have splurged a bit more with the interior as the seats are of a cheap cloth material. But that will change when I swap in a set of WRX seats. Awesome car!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Great car, AWD, 30mpg!

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Great MPG, Seats 5, Cheap car, Reliable"

Cons: "Small power drop with ac on"

"This is the best used car i have had yet. It gets great gas mileage for the age of the car. Strong engine, I have over 200k miles on it and it still runs great. The best MPG i have got so far is 29.68 and i get 27.09 on average and i don't drive easy on the gas peddle. I haven't had any major problems with it yet. It does awesome in the snow. I had bad tires on it last winter and slid down into a ditch but the car just came right out of it with no problem. The same night i pulled a big heavy car up a hill it was stuck on and then had some fun plowing right through piled up snow that was blocking my path to get a co worker home after work. The snow was piled about 3ft high but the snow was not too heavy at that point. Subaru's AWD system is awesome. I know allot of it has to do with the driver but i have seen these cars outdo jeeps in the snow. I just moved to the hills of WV and for it being a 4 cylinder it does great on the hills, even with the ac on!"

Incredibley Dependable Car

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "fun,exciting,realible,fast."

Cons: "Wheel bearings"

"My subaru Imprezza outback sport is just AWESOME. Unfortunatly i will have to retire it soon as because of new york weather it's body has seen better days but with over 306000 miles i will say she is ready but it still runs incredible but the body is apparently undressing itself now lol. I would so recommend this veichle."

Snowcar

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Guess it HAD to have a coffee holder"

"It is fun to drive. This model is the same design as the 3 time World Rally Cross winning cars. It is put together properly. Easy to service. Interior is serviceable but nothing special."

I love this car!

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Cons: "Only 1 cup holder--need at least 2!"

"I have had this car for 10 years-just turned over 200K miles. Probably put less than $2,000 in repairs excluding oil changes and routine care. Reliable, zippy, and still pretty cute after all these years. I have taken road trips, hauled about 5 ton of landscape block (not all at once), and it is perfect for my dogs. I have hauled lumber,trees,ladders and multiple things with my kayak racks that fit on the Subaru roof rack. My best car ever! Shooting for 300K now!!"

Absolutely the best car I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "All of the above."

Cons: "none!"

"Reliable, sturdy, good fuel mileage (24+ MPG in town), no major problems, plenty of power and pick-up, drives very well, excellent breaking, smooth automatic transmission and good visibility all around."

Fun, responsive, stable and unique looks.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Quick, Fun, Agile, Reliable, Safe."

Cons: "Cheap Interior and 22-26mpg"

"First off, when buying a Subaru make sure you know its history because where its from and how the previous owners drove it will change how it treats you. IE I bought mine as a California car that had spent a few years owned by a member of the military who had taken it with him to Iceland and it came back with a problem i don't normally deal with.. a rusty undercarriage. Not only that but he was more of a "import tuner" than i would have liked a discovery made by the fact that it had an aftermarket clutch with a pedal that was far more firm than the brake pedal and after having owned the car for 3 weeks and it popped a head-gasket. 6 months after that the clutch finally annoyed me enough that i moved to change it and that is when the rust on the bottom of the car caused havoc. I broke more than my fair share of bolts getting the transmission out and ended up spending more money than i would have like replacing parts that normally would not need to be replaced. Getting to my point... 1- When buying a Subaru do your best to gauge the previous owner and his habits. 2- be wary of cars kept in the snow for part of its life as no matter how good the previous owner claims to have kept it, you will run into problem. --- After that the car has been stellar with no repairs needed for the past 2 years."

I love my subaru

By on Monday, November 30, 2009

"I've owned the impreza for 12 years. It is the most dependable car I've ever owned. It takes me skiing no problem - the all wheel drive is terrific. I can't believe after 12 years that it has retained value as well as it has. Over the 12 years I've owned it it cost me $1,200 per year (purchase price less current value)."

RELIABLE

By on Sunday, August 02, 2009

"This has been the most ridiculously reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I am at 317k miles and have had zero problems with the car other than regular service items and regular wear a tear. The 2.2 with the 4 spd automatic provide a good dose of power with bullet proof dependapbility."

None Better

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Awesome. Period. I bought my 1-owner '93 5-speed from a couple with 52,000 miles & now have 145,000. The AWD is flawless. Can you go rock-crawling? No, and I wouldn't want to. Has this car gotten me home in many a blizzard? Always. I went right to "bumper-to-bumper" synthetics when I purchased, so I expect to get 300,000 out of her. AWD, A/C, power windows & locks, and 30 MPG on the highway! Can't ask for more than that."

Sweeeeeeet

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"I purchased my Sube in January of 1998 and have loved driving it almost every minute. I'm rough on the car and have replaced the tranny and the timing chain broke unexpectedly which caused some spendy damage, but over the life of the car I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and then some. I'll never forget the smiles my brother and I couldn't get off of our faces as we FLEW around an ice racetrack on a frozen Wisconsin lake...throwing up snow from all 4 tires and drifting around the sweeping corners as ice fishermen and snowmobilers watched in amazement that "some maniac" would be driving a sports car through 4" of powdery snow around a track. Absolutely one of the best memories of my life! I'll also never forget the memories of driving from Colorado to Wisconsin after a Nebraska ice storm. A Jeep Cherokee driving 30 mph down a highway lost control and swerved into a snowbank on the side of the road, yet less than a minute later (after getting past the snowplow dropping salt on the road) I eased the pedal down until the speedometer hit 60 and cruised right along on my new Blizzaks with my all-wheel drive. What a great car!! I'll be buying a new vehicle soon and saying goodbye to the Sube, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend this car to a friend or family member."

if only they built more cars like this

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"in 2000, i searched for almost 2 months for my 4-dr blue 5-speed 2.5rs...it was worth the search now i think about it. they didn't make a lot of these 4-dr blue rs back then...so i search almost the entire state of california for it...when i finally found one in the south, i didn't think and just grabbed it. i still think it is the coolest looking design for this car...most importantly, i have over 148k miles on it and only regular maintenance and a new clutch, brakes, etc. i am sad i just have to sell it as i don't drive it much anymore. i will definitely miss it. but i have photos to keep at the very least."

Subarus are the greatest automobiles. Great value.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

"This is the third Subaru I have owned. I just love these cars. Very reliable."

Little AWD Beast

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "driving excitement, versatility, AWD, practicality"

Cons: "fuel economy, road noise"

"I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback, and have for a little more than eight months. It's been an excellent car. Except for a slight oil leak onto the engine manifold that leads to a smell at idle, the car has been perfectly reliable. The fuel economy and the ride quality are the only downsides so far. I get about 22 MPG in mixed driving, and have never got above 26 MPG even on long trips. This is decent, but I can see why these weren't more popular when they came out: fuel economy matters. Some of the plastic bits are rattly and, with the bad roads, I generally have to raise my voice to be heard at highway speeds. I have some excellent 80k-rated Michelin tires, but these have added to the road noise. I bought the car from a used dealer for about $1k less than the KBB excellent rating. It needed some rust work and a new strut tower, but besides that, this has been an excellent, gutsy little car. Is it really an offroader? No, it's a subcompact, but I've literally climbed mountains in it. It's a little cramped in the back seat, but the cargo room is great. On my twice-annual cross-continental college odyssey it performs excellently. A great first car."

the best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

"the subaru company builds a very reliable cars it has pick up when you need it and a very comfortable ride."

My first car, best I will ever own.

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Excellent build quality, great engine"

Cons: "Small, Not enough leg room"

"I bought this vehicle used, and have owned it for over 8 years now. Considering it was already 10 years old; I have had to do very little maintenance besides tires and brakes. Very reliable, never had a break down. Great car, fun to drive. Never had any engine problems. The design is great, although it could give the driver a bit more leg room. I am six feet tall, and feel a bit cramped when I drive it. Have had a few plastic parts break on the interior, but besides that, no complaints! My first car, and the best car I will ever own."

very well built fun car!!!!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "very dynamic,fun to drive,good gas mileage"

"i bought this car used but it was Very well treated.Firstly this is a very versatile car,snow no problem,plus gas mileage is not too bad either,plus roof rack rear folding seat.Very fun to drive especially five speed.Still looks good when compared to other vehicles in the same category. I Love it,very dynamic to drive plus has great low end torque. Overall great value for money."

Sporty, reliable AWD car for its time

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Reliable if maintained, good all weather vehicle"

Cons: "expensive to maintain, esp, after 75,000 mi."

"I've driven this car to the far north, through blizzards, ice storms, hurricanes etc and have never had any problems due to its great handling. Maintenance at the Subaru dealer is very expensive but the work was generally good until recently. After 180,000 miles there is alot of undercariage rust and rot and so I will have to say goodbye to this car soon."

good car but pricing is not fair

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Awesome car handles corners great"

Cons: "Not really any cons"

"I think these cars should be priced higher. We the people that own subarus. know that these cars keep going and going."

Great car!

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "very small"

"I just recently hit 193K miles and my motor took a dump. I've had this car for 5 years and it was given to me by my mom for my birthday and she had it for 6 years prior to that. I love this little car and wish I had the money to buy a new Subaru!"

1997 OB Sport

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"The heater core went bad at 40K, but that was it. 180K on it now, and it has been through lots of ice and snow and salt with no complaints. Still looks pretty too. I've just put routine upkeep into it. It is very easy to work on and modify! Driver's seat was not at all comfortable for 6h+ drives, so I put in one from a Legacy. The gas mileage has always been low- 22mpg at 80mph, 28 at 55mph."

Do not pass it up!!!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I love this car! This is my 3rd Subaru, and I could not be happier. It is also my second Impreza. The first was a 93 which died in an accident. I fell in love at first sight. Safe, good looking, reliable and inexpensive. AWD is great in the snow and rain. You can buzz around all the slower cars on the highway and still get great gas millage. The 2.2 boxer engine is filled full of all kinds of get up and go. If you are thinking of getting any other car... Go take a look at the other Subaru models like the Forrester which is my 3rd Subaru by chance. Before I go, the 93 that died in that accident, I just wanted to say that it was totaled. As far as my wife and kids we all walked away with just a few bruises and thats it."

best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"I bought my 2000 RS back in '02 and I've enjoyed every aspect of owning it. I've gotten a lot of comments about how attractive it is and I as well love the styling. It's extremely easy to work on and a very well put together car. I have made a lot of 1000+ mile long road trips in the car and I can't tell you how comfortable it is. Overall this is a GREAT car and I'm very happy with it."

this car is all around worth every penny and more

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable,saves money on repair cost,"

"SUBARU there is no other out there that can compare to this car its not the fastest or even the best looking but this car is unstopable in many ways. my impreza l 2.2 has been in and out of more then any car deserves to be put thru and time after time it never fails to amaze. alot of people say as long as it gets from a to b then thats all that matters, well the sube goes from a-and every where in between and right back to a and with confidence and pride."