1997 Subaru Impreza

Based on 257 Ratings for the 1993 - 2001 models.

None Better

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Awesome. Period. I bought my 1-owner '93 5-speed from a couple with 52,000 miles & now have 145,000. The AWD is flawless. Can you go rock-crawling? No, and I wouldn't want to. Has this car gotten me home in many a blizzard? Always. I went right to "bumper-to-bumper" synthetics when I purchased, so I expect to get 300,000 out of her. AWD, A/C, power windows & locks, and 30 MPG on the highway! Can't ask for more than that."

Sweeeeeeet

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"I purchased my Sube in January of 1998 and have loved driving it almost every minute. I'm rough on the car and have replaced the tranny and the timing chain broke unexpectedly which caused some spendy damage, but over the life of the car I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and then some. I'll never forget the smiles my brother and I couldn't get off of our faces as we FLEW around an ice racetrack on a frozen Wisconsin lake...throwing up snow from all 4 tires and drifting around the sweeping corners as ice fishermen and snowmobilers watched in amazement that "some maniac" would be driving a sports car through 4" of powdery snow around a track. Absolutely one of the best memories of my life! I'll also never forget the memories of driving from Colorado to Wisconsin after a Nebraska ice storm. A Jeep Cherokee driving 30 mph down a highway lost control and swerved into a snowbank on the side of the road, yet less than a minute later (after getting past the snowplow dropping salt on the road) I eased the pedal down until the speedometer hit 60 and cruised right along on my new Blizzaks with my all-wheel drive. What a great car!! I'll be buying a new vehicle soon and saying goodbye to the Sube, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend this car to a friend or family member."

if only they built more cars like this

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"in 2000, i searched for almost 2 months for my 4-dr blue 5-speed 2.5rs...it was worth the search now i think about it. they didn't make a lot of these 4-dr blue rs back then...so i search almost the entire state of california for it...when i finally found one in the south, i didn't think and just grabbed it. i still think it is the coolest looking design for this car...most importantly, i have over 148k miles on it and only regular maintenance and a new clutch, brakes, etc. i am sad i just have to sell it as i don't drive it much anymore. i will definitely miss it. but i have photos to keep at the very least."

Subarus are the greatest automobiles. Great value.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

"This is the third Subaru I have owned. I just love these cars. Very reliable."

Little AWD Beast

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "driving excitement, versatility, AWD, practicality"

Cons: "fuel economy, road noise"

"I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback, and have for a little more than eight months. It's been an excellent car. Except for a slight oil leak onto the engine manifold that leads to a smell at idle, the car has been perfectly reliable. The fuel economy and the ride quality are the only downsides so far. I get about 22 MPG in mixed driving, and have never got above 26 MPG even on long trips. This is decent, but I can see why these weren't more popular when they came out: fuel economy matters. Some of the plastic bits are rattly and, with the bad roads, I generally have to raise my voice to be heard at highway speeds. I have some excellent 80k-rated Michelin tires, but these have added to the road noise. I bought the car from a used dealer for about $1k less than the KBB excellent rating. It needed some rust work and a new strut tower, but besides that, this has been an excellent, gutsy little car. Is it really an offroader? No, it's a subcompact, but I've literally climbed mountains in it. It's a little cramped in the back seat, but the cargo room is great. On my twice-annual cross-continental college odyssey it performs excellently. A great first car."